Best Wine You Have PURCHASED on Board X??

MaggieAtSea

You don't say whether you like white or red? Full-bodied or light? Dry or sweet?

We prefer full bodied reds.

We like the Malbecs.

Last year it was Catena and this year a new one but just as good.

The wines are SO overpriced on board that we try to stick to less expensive offerings.

(Ex: there's a Tuscan we love at home that's $39/bottle. It's $120 on the ship! :eek::eek:

(It's Guidalberto if you want to splurge)

I find it REALLY hard to justify that, EVEN with a 20% discount and OBC.

Edited by chamima

Our favorite wasn't a wine but the best champagne we had ever had - whose name I have now forgotten. I've forgotten because after the cruise - I spent months tracking down a vendor that would ship to us. The bottle came and we were stoked to enjoy it in all it's glory. Sadly it wasn't all that great :( We laugh now because we firmly believe that it tasted so wonderful because we were cruising and having such a wonderful time with new friends on New Year's Eve. It was "ship" enhanced. :D

We've enjoyed Far Niente Chard, Nickle and Nickle Chard, La Sirena TreasuRed (Pirate wine), Caymus Reserve Cab, Nickle and Nickle Cab among others.

These are all enjoyed in the mid 100s and generally discounted by asking or with coupons.

We had a table mate order a bottle of Cristal for us to share, but we didn't buy it, he did.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Diamond Creek Cabernet but can't remember if it was Gravelly Meadow or Volcanic Hill. About $400 on board but discounted by the Cellar Master. Found a bottle at home, about $250. Have also enjoyed Nickel & Nickel, Opus One, Caymus, Far Niente, Jordan. For a dessert wine we like Klein Constance and many ports. Best champagne has been Tattinger Blanc de Blanc and Krug Brute to celebrate New Years. There have been many other whites from Muranos that we have enjoyed.

Oh, we also like other wines found in cellar masters, especially a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

We discovered the Conundrum, white, don't like the red. It is around 50ish. Also any sauvignon blanc from New Zealand.

Johanne

Conundrum has an interesting history. It was produced by Caymus and called Caymus Conundrum for year. I believe the owners got divorced (Chuck Wagner's ex Wife) and she got Conundrum and Chuck Wagner kept the rest.

The white has changed from what it once was (or maybe my pallet has) but we consider it decent table wine. It's about $18-$20 at most retail outlets. Conundrum now has a red as well.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

My favorite wine on Celebrity is MER SOLEIL. It is a Chardonnay. I think it was $25 a glass.

Another wine created by the Wagner (Caymus) family.

It's interesting that Wente is the Celebrity wine, when they also carry so many of the Wagner family wines. I guess they carry plenty of others too, they really have a great list!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Two full-bodied reds I discovered through the silent auction at the old- and new-world wine tasting events: Hess Collection Mount Veeder Napa Valley 19 Block Mountain Cuvee 2010 [blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Syrah, and Merlot]; Barolo 2009 Dagromis. Both were excellent. They decanted half the Barolo for me the first night; the second night the other half had already bloomed nicely in the bottle.

Husband's favorite was the 2009 Duckhorn Three Palms Napa Valley Merlot. Actually, it was one of the reds on our drink package and he really enjoyed it. We did find it online, once we were home, but didn't feel like paying that much for a bottle of wine. :eek:

I'm not able to drink red wine and I don't care that much for the white wines.

He's been very happy with the wine on X and Azamara.

Edited by midwestchick

Husband's favorite was the 2009 Duckhorn Three Palms Napa Valley Merlot. Actually, it was one of the reds on our drink package and he really enjoyed it. We did find it online, once we were home, but didn't feel like paying that much for a bottle of wine. :eek:

I'm not able to drink red wine and I don't care that much for the white wines.

He's been very happy with the wine on X and Azamara.

Totally not wine related but I smiled when I read this as I was wearing my duckhorn jacket today. Great winery.

My favorite wine on Celebrity is MER SOLEIL. It is a Chardonnay. I think it was $25 a glass.

And that is what I pay for a bottle of it at home. It's a yummy chard, that I first tasted onboard Celebrity, and now I buy it a case at a time. And speaking of Caymus, my understanding is that MerSoleil is also from the (extended?) Caymus family.

And that is what I pay for a bottle of it at home. It's a yummy chard, that I first tasted onboard Celebrity, and now I buy it a case at a time. And speaking of Caymus, my understanding is that MerSoleil is also from the (extended?) Caymus family.

Yes, see my comment above. The Mer Soleil is produced by Chuck Wagner who owns Caymus.

Not sure if this will post:

http://www.wagnerfamilyofwine.com/Our-Family/Wagner-Family-History

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The best wine that we have had onboard Celebrity is whatever Merlot is poured by the glass from the 123Go program. In a blind test, I am sure that we would not be able to tell the difference between that Merlot and the more expensive ones onboard. My impression is that others might be able to.

The best wine that we have had onboard Celebrity is whatever Merlot is poured by the glass from the 123Go program. In a blind test, I am sure that we would not be able to tell the difference between that Merlot and the more expensive ones onboard. My impression is that others might be able to.

The Merlot I mentioned in post #16 was part of the 123 promo and it certainly wasn't cheap, as I discovered once we were back home. I think DH could have picked it out in a blind test. He mentioned it was one of the nicest Merlots he had ever tasted.

The Merlot I mentioned in post #16 was part of the 123 promo and it certainly wasn't cheap, as I discovered once we were back home. I think DH could have picked it out in a blind test. He mentioned it was one of the nicest Merlots he had ever tasted.

What kind of promo were you on? ;) :p

We have some in the wine cellar in the basement but it's old and I have no idea what it cost so I googled it.

http://www.duckhorn.com/Wines/Merlot/Napa-Valley-Merlot-Three-Palms-Vineyard

I've never been on any kind of "package" that covered wines of that quality! :D

Edited by chamima