Good bye IPhone!!!!

kpkcruiser

Hello all - just picking brains here for my own satisfaction. Recently returned from our first Celebrity 11 day cruise on the Equinox. We are die-hard Princess fans and loved Celebrity - actually booked another cruise while on board. On our last morning on the ship I neglected to double check our safe - totally my fault. When we returned home we realized we had left my husband's almost brand new IPhone in the safe. I immediately called Celebrity and was on hold for 90 minutes. Report was taken and they told us they would call us back one way or another. Two weeks later we got the call; no phone was located. I have a sick feeling now - we loved our cabin attendant - gave her a lot of extra tips over the 11 days - I feel sick thinking that she took the phone. Can someone add their thoughts? Is it possible someone else cleans out the safes? We are both very easy going on cruises - leaving things in our cabin never worrying about theft. Now I'm starting the rethink this a bit. Thanks for your thoughts!

So sorry that you lost your phone. :(

But, the cabin attendants do not have the ability to open a safe -- only a housekeeping supervisor and/or security officer can do that. If you left your safe open, with the phone inside -- then anyone -- from the next cabin occupants, to anyone passing by the room's open door (during turn-around) could have taken it.

Edited by wwcruisers

My experience was a number of years ago. We had messed up the code for our safe. Needed to get our credit cards. It was not the cabin attendant but a maintenance type person who came to cabin and "unlocked" the safe.

Hope others add their experinces with the safe that is more recent.

If he had the code feature , no one will be able to use it. Call Apple and cancel your apple id for the phone too.

Edited by Azulann

It is quite possible you may still get it back. Last year on my silhouette cruise I found a credit card in my safe from a prior guest. Don't know how long it was there. my guess is the safes are not checked after every sailing since they are so busy turning the cabins around in just a few hours. Fingers crossed for you

Hello again. I did cancel the phone immediately. We left the safe open as we always do - again my own foolishness in not double checking it!:rolleyes:

I hope you get your phone back, if it were mine it'd have a ton of photos on it as well and I'd hate to lose those!!

Another possibility in the steward's defence is that she could possibly have found it and turned it in to the Head housekeeper, or even Guest Relations and from there it could've found it's way to someone who took advantage. Perhaps, since it's only been two weeks it will still make it's way back to you. Don't beat yourself up over it, could happen to anyone.

Cathy

Did you try "find my iPhone" before cancelling? I feel your pain as I love my phone:( Keep calling Lost and Found at 800-256-6649 for the next while. It may take some time before it gets back to Miami and off the ship.

I had actually left a gold bracelet in our safe a couple of years ago and when we switched cabins for our B2B we missed seeing it in the safe. Two days later I realized what had happened and ran down to see our old cabin attendant. He checked with the new people and they said that they did not find it. I knew it was in the cabin somewhere so I contacted the Head Housekeeper and she phoned the couple and asked for an appointment for her and the steward to do a search under the bed, at the back of the bedside drawers etc and lo and behold when she arrived at the appointed time they very sheepishly handed over the bracelet. It was engraved from DH to me for our anniversary so the HH was able to verify it was mine. The new occupants mistakenly thought we were off the ship not down the hall. Not so nice.

Ever since, we put a large zip lock bag in the safe and absolutely everything goes into it so that nothing can be left behind. It is hard just trying to find a single black passport laying in those safes and it is very easy to miss something.

Edited by Christine Frances

Ever since, we put a large zip lock bag in the safe and absolutely everything goes into it so that nothing can be left behind. It is hard just trying to find a single black passport laying in those safes and it is very easy to miss something.

Thanks for the zip lock bag tip! It really is dark in those safes.

Hello all - just picking brains here for my own satisfaction. Recently returned from our first Celebrity 11 day cruise on the Equinox. We are die-hard Princess fans and loved Celebrity - actually booked another cruise while on board. On our last morning on the ship I neglected to double check our safe - totally my fault. When we returned home we realized we had left my husband's almost brand new IPhone in the safe. I immediately called Celebrity and was on hold for 90 minutes. Report was taken and they told us they would call us back one way or another. Two weeks later we got the call; no phone was located. I have a sick feeling now - we loved our cabin attendant - gave her a lot of extra tips over the 11 days - I feel sick thinking that she took the phone. Can someone add their thoughts? Is it possible someone else cleans out the safes? We are both very easy going on cruises - leaving things in our cabin never worrying about theft. Now I'm starting the rethink this a bit. Thanks for your thoughts!

It's possible that it was the next guests that found the phone and not the steward. They could have turned it into guest services, and those folks aren't always the most efficient...they may not have yet tied that random iPhone in their lost-and-found bin to your report.

It's possible that it was the next guests that found the phone and not the steward. They could have turned it into guest services, and those folks aren't always the most efficient...they may not have yet tied that random iPhone in their lost-and-found bin to your report.

Yea, I wouldn't doubt that it is either sitting in a big lost and found box someplace or someone else along the way grabbed it. The cabin steward might be the least likely to steal it since an items disappearance from a cabin could be easily traced to them.

Some years ago we left a couple of watches in our safe. Just not careful that trip in double checking. Did not bother to call Celebrity (they would know how to contact me if the cable steward turned the watches in) and I don't begrudge Celebrity or whomever was my cabin steward. Maybe next guest got a couple of watches although it would be a good practice for the safe to be checked as part of routine to get cabin ready for next cruise (if it isn't already done).

A couple of thoughts. Last year we "lost" my DW's Iphone. We looked everywhere and then some. At the airport (after a prayer) I looked once more. Low and behold.....there it was. No explanation (that would make sense anyway).

Second thought: Did you happen to pay for the phone with a credit card and does that card happen to have a type of warranty/insurance for new purchases?

We were on Eclipse in January and I lost my watch on the pool deck.I went back and retraced my steps to no avail. I was very sad b/c I had just received the watch for Christmas. Somebody suggested that I check with guest relations, and lo and behold they had it! One of the workers on the pool deck found it and turned it in. There is a procedure that the name of the person who turns the lost item in is documented, and I had to sign when I claimed the watch. I say, don't lose hope, as others have said, it just might take a little time before Guest Relations contacts you. I would get the ship's phone number and call guest relations myself when you know the ship will be back in the home port. Good luck!

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I will continue to pester Celebrity - you never know right? Great idea re the zip lock bag - its going on our next cruise!! Thanks again all - after reading everyone's comments I don't feel like such an idiot!!!! :)

--- Thanks again all - after reading everyone's comments I don't feel like such an idiot!!!! :)

I ALWAYS get my husband to double check the safe, he is 6 ft tall, I am 5 ft 4 ins, so cannot see in.

I also feel that we should have shared responsibility and after all it was your husband's phone!

You need to check the safe thoroughly. Stuff gets caught under the safe liner, or in the case of my SIL, her diamond necklace was in between the safe lining and the front lip of the safe. She thought the stateroom attendant had taken it. :eek:

Hello again. I did cancel the phone immediately. We left the safe open as we always do - again my own foolishness in not double checking it!:rolleyes:

When you cancelled the phone did you report that it was missing? I ask because I know they can track it and make sure no one else uses it has a phone. They will know as soon as someone tries to activate it. I know this is the way it works in the US, but I am not sure about other countries. A small chance you might get it back if someone tries to activate it.

Great idea. Thanks for the tip.

So sorry for the lost I-Phone. There’s so much information and pictures you lose. Just an idea to prevent leaving stuff in the safe: I once read of someone who always put one of his shoes in the safe when he went to bed the night before. Might prevent what happened!!

So sorry to hear this.

As we were just about to leave our cabin I asked DH to grab my Iphone charger which had been plugged in all week on the vanity counter. It had my full name taped onto it.

As soon as we exited the ship I asked him about the charger "shot I forgot" he replied. Being only minutes off the ship, and not yet through customs,e we tried to re-board but were told no and that all items are turned in and we would get it back. A number was provided to call. We tried calling right away but were on hold for a long time (with a Canadian cell and high roaming charges). Decided to wait and called again on Monday once home.

Called and was told the 'lost and found roaster' wasn't yet turned into Miami by the ship and they would call in a day or two. You guessed, no call, again I called back. This went on for a few days and finally I did get a message, you guessed it "no Iphone chargers were turned in".

I realize this is an inexpensive item and not like losing your phone but it was frustrating none the less. It would have taken two minutes to re-board and go and get it. There were still lots and lots of passengers on board .

I do hope you get your phone back.

And, thanks to the person who posted the zip-lock bag for the safe idea. I am always worried about leaving something so will do this from now on.