Must See Attractions In New Orleans

RumpunchGirl

Dh and I will be in New Orleans Jan. 2016. We sail on the Dawn on a Sunday and will arrive in the city the Wednesday before departure. We are also staying for two night after we return from the cruise, so a total of 6 nights. We'll be staying at the 4 Points Sheriton on Bourbon St. before and after. There are 2 other couples traveling with us. I'm sure we'll get a good taste of Bourbon St. but, I also want to know what some of the other "Must See" things are.

We all want to tour some plantations, go on a haunted tour, visit other historical places, etc. What are some of the better ones to visit? What are some fun interesting restaurants/bars to check out? Should we consider touring any of the cemetaries? We are open to renting a vehicle and exploring outside the city limits (I know we would have to drive to the plantations). I have been researching here on CC and other areas. But I really would like some updated, current input. I've always gotten the best advice and info here on CC. Thanks for any and all input!:D

Teri

Dh and I will be in New Orleans Jan. 2016. We sail on the Dawn on a Sunday and will arrive in the city the Wednesday before departure. We are also staying for two night after we return from the cruise, so a total of 6 nights. We'll be staying at the 4 Points Sheriton on Bourbon St. before and after. There are 2 other couples traveling with us. I'm sure we'll get a good taste of Bourbon St. but, I also want to know what some of the other "Must See" things are.

We all want to tour some plantations, go on a haunted tour, visit other historical places, etc. What are some of the better ones to visit? What are some fun interesting restaurants/bars to check out? Should we consider touring any of the cemetaries? We are open to renting a vehicle and exploring outside the city limits (I know we would have to drive to the plantations). I have been researching here on CC and other areas. But I really would like some updated, current input. I've always gotten the best advice and info here on CC. Thanks for any and all input!:D

Teri

New Orleans is fun! We hadn't been for years, but on a road trip over Thanksgiving we stopped there for a night on our way home. I will tell you Bourbon Street has changed, at least as far as I remember it! It's something you want to experience, but a little goes a long way! LOL!! And I recommend earlier in the evening before things get way too wild, LOL!! I would say definitely go to 'Pat O'Brien's' ... get a Hurricane drink and take the glasses (they let you) .... it's a neat place just for drinks or even to eat and they have two different menus, one more formal dinner than the other. We walked all over the Quarter and there's some neat architecture to see. Definitely go to the Waterfront and get a Bengne (sp?) and latte! There are great places to eat all around. Get some Cajun food too! When we went years ago we drove to the Plantation ... forget the name now, maybe 'Tara'? They are all nice though. And if you rent a car you can explore 'Cajun Country' as well as the Plantations. There are plenty of tours, as you mentioned, but we always did it on our own. This time we stayed just off Bourbon Street, which was nice .... close to the action, but away from the noise and walkable. Jackson Square is great with music, entertainment, food and such. You'll have a blast. Wish I could be more specific, but right now I'm on my way out and just wanted to respond to you. Oh, and there is also a hop on hop off trolley or bus there you might be interested in. The city itself is very friendly ... great people. Have fun!

I always tell people to ride the St. Charles Avenue streetcar from beginning to end and back. It's a great way to see the prettiest parts of the city.

I'd also recommend the WWII Museum if you're into history. The zoo and aquarium are great for kids (and adults).

I'm not sure when in January you'll be in, but Mardi Gras is relatively early next year, February 9, so parades will actually start in late January. I like potential visitors to be aware of that and the facts that (1) the city is really not at it's best during Mardi Gras and (2) getting from place to place is much more difficult during parade season.

Also, if you go to Pat O's, or any bar in the Quarter, you can take your drink on the street, but it MUST be in a plastic or styrofoam cup; glass containers are not allowed on the streets. Unfinished hurricanes (or any other drinks) will be transferred to go-cups either by the bartender or people at the door -- if it's not offered automatically, just ask. Usually at Pat O's, if you want to keep the glass, they will transfer the unfinished drink to a go-cup and give you a clean glass in a box. But please DO NOT take glass containers on the streets.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you see St. Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square, French Market, Lafitte's Blacksmith shop (the oldest bar in the US). Haunted History Tours is a great company if you want to a ghost tour..they have several including a morning Cemetery tour to St. Louis Cemetery No 1. I have done 3 different tours with them. Also be sure to walk down Pirate's Alley it is next to the Cathedral between Chartres and Royal, very historic and creepy but safe.

New Orleans is fun! We hadn't been for years, but on a road trip over Thanksg I would say definitely go to 'Pat O'Brien's' ... get a Hurricane drink and take the glasses (they let you)
Yes you can take the glass but don't just think they are giving it to you. There is a $3 deposit built into the price. If you choose to turn in your glass they will give you the credit back. The bartenders aren't always super forth coming with that info and if you leave with your glass on the table and don't specifically ask for the deposit back then you are now giving the bartender an additional tip.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want that glass at Pat O's and you don't want to have to get a refund on it you can ask for your Hurricane in a to go cup. when I go there I get mine in the bar on the bourbon street side and they automatically put the hurricanes in a to go cup.

already on another thread but go to the bar that like a merry-go-round. i lvoe thst bar, food and music.

i did not see Cafe du Monte on the list.. another must see and it is Oak Ally for the plantation- there are others to see too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my most favorite things to do in NOLA is to head to Central Grocers on Decatur Street and get a muffulletta. Then we go to the liquor store a couple doors down and get a bottle of wine with a couple plastic cups and head to the levee to sit and watch the ships go by while eating our lunch. Be warned, lines form fast and they are long, but Central has got it down to a science, so the lines do move fairly quickly.

If you are a breakfast person, there is nothing better than Cafe du Monde for beignets and coffee (with chickory). Caution: do not take a big breath before taking a bite of a beignet. You will end up inhaling powdered sugar and then proceed to cough it all over your dining companions!

I haven't been down Bourbon St. at night in YEARS, but if it's anything like I remember, you do not want to take young children there. I remember it being somewhat X-Rated and while it's not on the street itself, you can plainly see what's going on in some of the bars. Again, that could have changed.

I'll be there in February right after Mardi Gras - literally! I arrive on Feb. 10th (Ash Wednesday) and then board a ship on Feb. 11th. I do not plan on getting to the ship early and "enjoying" lunch on board. Why would I do that when I can get a muffuletta and sit on the levee before heading to the ship??? If that's not your thing, there are many more restaurants with much better food than what you can find on just about any cruise line! Enjoy NOLA as long as you can before heading to the ship.

While in new Orleans there are three things that I never fail to do. Number one is ride the Str. Natchez. (http://www.steamboatnatchez.com) She's an authentic paddlewheel steamboat. There are only five other paddlewheel steamboats offering trips to passengers for hire in the United States. Number two is visit the Café do Monde for biegnets and chicory coffee...delicious! Number three is dine at one of the fantastic restaurants for lunch or dinner. I have several that I'll at least visit one of, Galatoire's, Commander's Palace or Maninda's on Canal Street. The last two I take the streetcar to get to.

It's been several years since I've been there, but as I remember it, the side bar (that's the one to the left as you enter from the street) has the cheaper of the drink prices. The courtyard is next highest and the piano bar is the highest (it's the bar to the right as you head toward the courtyard).

Wow! Lots of great ideas. One of my travel companions was asking about Psychic mediums. Anyone ever have a reader or hear about a good one?

There a several mediums located around the square. Just take everything said as entertainment.

Edited by BigEasyCC

• 6 months later...

World War I I museum is perhaps best war museum in the world. Count on a full day if you are really into it and want to read all displays, see the film's etc.

Great fine dining at good prices. I'd second C Palace, Galatoires, etc. Google frommers new Orleans restaurants for more suggestions. Emeril has some seats overlooking the kitchen, if you r into that sort of foodie magic.

Walking around French Quarter, people watching.

Pat Obrien has good atmo but perhaps worst hurricane (tho I didn't try the closet facing on the street vendors). I couldn't finish mine and gave it away to an appreciative boozer on the street.

Best hurricane and super gumbo is Remoulade on bourbon st. Owned by Arnauds.

Edited by Burpelson