Is this deceiving on NCL's part?

WMQueenie

We are looking to book a cruise this summer out of NYC - 6 adults, 2 2-year-olds, so after getting so many emails about kids sale free or half price I went onto the website to do a mock booking. I booked the Gem for the end of June, family inside - when I did it for 2 people the price each was $879 per person. Same room but for 4 people (3rd and 4th passengers half price) - the price was $864 each. So, where's the half off? I tried a few times and kept getting the same results. I emailed this dilemma to my NCL cruise consultant who wrote back that the half off is off the brochure rate. Not off the price on the website?!?! Nope, the brochure rate! Where is the brochure rate listed?? I find this very deceiving...am I wrong?

It seems a bit shady. We re-booked one cruise where the price per first and second stayed the same but the kids at half-off saved us a whopping $50 per kid.

The cost of cruisers #3-8 doubled as soon as the promo came in to play.

On a different booking we got a smoking deal -same ship, same category suite , same month but a year later, waaaay cheaper. So I can't really complain.

The last week in June is expensive .... pricing is definitely odd for that particular cruise. Would actually be cheaper to get two connecting insides. However, that cruise is also "green" color coded which is half off for passengers 3-whoever, not free.

Find a purple coded cruise - example Breakaway date 9/6/15

family inside category II or 11 (:) for two it is $2,068.02, for four passengers it is $2,418.04. Cruise fare $849.00 for passengers 1 and 2 and $185.01 taxes/fees for all 4 passengers.

There are some really good deals out there, it just takes a little work to find them. Here's a list to get you started

https://www.ncl.com/vacations/freestyle-choice---free?sailingmerchandisingspecials=4294902687

Edited by kjquilts
added link

Find a purple coded cruise - example Breakaway date 9/6/15

family inside category II or 11 (:) for two it is $2,068.02, for four passengers it is $2,418.04. Cruise fare $849.00 for passengers 1 and 2 and $185.01 taxes/fees for all 4 passengers.

Noticed it doesn't add up - fees and taxes are only $175.01 each for passengers 3 and 4. No cruise fare for them.

We are looking to book a cruise this summer out of NYC - 6 adults, 2 2-year-olds, so after getting so many emails about kids sale free or half price I went onto the website to do a mock booking. I booked the Gem for the end of June, family inside - when I did it for 2 people the price each was $879 per person. Same room but for 4 people (3rd and 4th passengers half price) - the price was $864 each. So, where's the half off? I tried a few times and kept getting the same results. I emailed this dilemma to my NCL cruise consultant who wrote back that the half off is off the brochure rate. Not off the price on the website?!?! Nope, the brochure rate! Where is the brochure rate listed?? I find this very deceiving...am I wrong?

I know that the dining, and beverage promos do not apply to inside rooms. Is the same possibly true for Kids/3rd and 4th promos?

I remember noticing this when we were looking at our NCL cruise. When I did the trial bookings I found what I thought were just standard prices, then I realized that what the website was doing was sharing the cost across the number of people going, instead of showing you the discount for each person individually.

If you look at the original price of the cruise for that room I bet you'll find that the original cost of the room for one person is something like $1,000 (per person, before discounts).

Edited by Snowrose

We booked two NCL cruises after trying other cruiselines the last 9 years. Couldn't beat the prices. We also did mock bookings to look at prices as we shopped and the haif off was figured from the first two in a room but the first two were not cheap. I think the sale changed several times so maybe now they are doing it off the brochure rate.?????? All the cruiselines have raised prices in the last few weeks and the gimmicks they have now don't add up to any good deals that I saw.

I know that the dining, and beverage promos do not apply to inside rooms. Is the same possibly true for Kids/3rd and 4th promos?

It applies for inside, I have that promo and my nephew is indeed free.

The OP should try other cabin types. NCL doesn't have to discount that cabin too far to get it filled because there aren't many on the ship. Select a cabin with bigger inventory.

Also you're booking 3-4 months into the promotion, most of the cabins will be sold already, hence half off vs. free. Finally you've selected one of if not the most popular week of the summer for your trip. If you can go another time you'll likely find better pricing for everyone.

I remember noticing this when we were looking at our NCL cruise. When I did the trial bookings I found what I thought were just standard prices, then I realized that what the website was doing was sharing the cost across the number of people going, instead of showing you the discount for each person individually.

If you look at the original price of the cruise for that room I bet you'll find that the original cost of the room for one person is something like $1,000 (per person, before discounts).

This is the pricing for 2 people in cat I1 on the Gem June 27, 2015

Pricing Details

Item Guest 1 Guest 2

Cruise Fare $879.00 $879.00

Gov't Taxes,

Fees & Port

Expenses $153.04 $153.04

Total per Guest $1,032.04 $1,032.04

This is the pricing for 4 in category, same ship, same date.

Pricing Details

Item Guest 1 Guest 2 Guest 3 Guest 4

Cruise Fare $879.00 $879.00 $849.50 $849.50

Gov't Taxes,

Fees & Port

Expenses $153.04 $153.04 $153.04 $153.04

Total per Guest $1,032.04 $1,032.04 $1,002.54 $1,002.54

So if we were to believe NCL the price for pax 1 and 2 are $879 and the prices for the 3rd and 4th if the sale wasn't on would be $1699 each before taxes and fees.

In 24 years of cruising i haven't never seen the price of the 3rd/4th double the price of the first 2 in a cabin.

I have seen them a hundred or so more at times but never these prices.

Frank Del Fee-o strikes again.

Since he got the helm he gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

Bill

Can the brochure rate be listed in the brochure?

The old NCL website a couple years ago was easier to see the pricing for 1/2 vs. 3/4. On the new website when you go to 3+, it averages the prices. You have to get into the booking process and when you see the price where you would pick a room, there is a "view details" that will break it down by person.

We booked under this promo earlier in the year. I had been modeling bookings before and after the promo. The bottom line, at least for our reservation, is that NCL doubled the price for the 3rd person and then gave us the 50% off, making it a net 0% discount. Is that deceiving? I understood what was going on before I booked, as the overall package price was acceptable to me. Even though I understood the offering, it would be nice if NCL priced this in a manner that didn't appear shady.

Noticed the pricing for the 3rd -8th guest is the same in any cabin type on the ship for that same cruise/date. Makes it a nice deal on some of the higher end suites, but not so much on the more economical options.

Definitely check out that "view details" section below the total price after selecting a cabin.

The only place I have even even seen the brochure rate listed recently was on some of the online non Ncl booking sites

Of course no one ever paid brochure rate ever so it's a joke anyway

Otoh we did get a great price on the gem in January. Our family is currently in that window of life where we cant all sail together but the college kids can grab awesome deals for January cruises so mamabear and the coeds are cruising!!!!

Fwiw I agree with the pp in that Del-Feeo is leaving a bad taste and honestly this is the first time in recent years I have actually cared about what a CEO was doing to any company I did business with

But this guy is something else

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

My son is a teacher and my DIL is in college so we are stuck with summertime. We normally cruise in the fall when prices are so much better but not this time. My point is the emails and promo on the website ARE deceiving! When you call up the dates and prices it clearly states prices starting at $849 (example) with the little green tab stating - 1/2 off your 3rd and 4th stateroom guests - so what are you supposed to think? I would think it means $849 for guests 1 & 2 and $424 for guests 3 & 4. The 3rd and 4th guests in this case are almost 2-year-old twins which, IMO, is insane to pay almost $1000 a piece for! (that's another gripe)

Why don't they list the brochure price then?? Where do you see brochure prices? :confused:

This is the pricing for 2 people in cat I1 on the Gem June 27, 2015

Pricing Details

Item Guest 1 Guest 2

Cruise Fare $879.00 $879.00

Gov't Taxes,

Fees & Port

Expenses $153.04 $153.04

Total per Guest $1,032.04 $1,032.04

This is the pricing for 4 in category, same ship, same date.

Pricing Details

Item Guest 1 Guest 2 Guest 3 Guest 4

Cruise Fare $879.00 $879.00 $849.50 $849.50

Gov't Taxes,

Fees & Port

Expenses $153.04 $153.04 $153.04 $153.04

Total per Guest $1,032.04 $1,032.04 $1,002.54 $1,002.54

So if we were to believe NCL the price for pax 1 and 2 are $879 and the prices for the 3rd and 4th if the sale wasn't on would be $1699 each before taxes and fees.

In 24 years of cruising i haven't never seen the price of the 3rd/4th double the price of the first 2 in a cabin.

I have seen them a hundred or so more at times but never these prices.

Frank Del Fee-o strikes again.

Since he got the helm he gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

Bill

Wow, and I thought RCL was playing games with their BOGO sale. Playing devil's advocate, you could argue that Royal's sale itself is affecting supply/demand, and sending the sale price back up to the normal price.

Here, not the case at all! :eek: If $879 $879 $439 $439 slowly transformed into $1,100 $1,100 $550 $550, then the question would be is the Cruise Line was playing games or if the market was driving the price. Out of the gate, doubling the 3rd / 4th guest, total smoke and mirrors. They're basically saying they think NCL passengers are too stupid to get it...

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

All cruise lines use the brochure rates when advertising percentage off sales. It is the standard practice and has been since I started cruising in the 70's.

After a while, one becomes more savy and learns to save money by pricing the cruise out from other sources besides the cruise lines.

I think that's very deceiving. I just checked some also and they didn't give me the "special" rates. I tried it on one that was supposed to be half off, making sure to choose the same category, and one that was supposed to be 3rd/4th free and both charged more than what the special should be. And I looked for small print for the deal and couldn't find it. This was just a quick search but it shouldn't be difficult to get to it or in my opinion it's false advertising.

I think that's very deceiving. I just checked some also and they didn't give me the "special" rates. I tried it on one that was supposed to be half off, making sure to choose the same category, and one that was supposed to be 3rd/4th free and both charged more than what the special should be. And I looked for small print for the deal and couldn't find it. This was just a quick search but it shouldn't be difficult to get to it or in my opinion it's false advertising.

THANK YOU! I looked for fine print in the daily emails I receive telling me about these wonderful half price deals and I looked on the website and could not find a thing about "brochure" rates. It is totally false advertising and I'm hoping NCL reads these posts, not that it will do any good. I was very excited to cruise this summer with my entire family (celebrating our 40th anniversary again!) but now I am not only disappointed but getting angrier by the minute!

NCL raised the price of 3rd-8th passengers two days before ksf actually went into effect back on January 31. So the price increase has more to do with marketing gimick than supply and demand. If your sailing is not kids sail free, you're better off booking two cabins. Even the slight extra is worth the extra space and bathroom.

I think all the cruise lines do this.

I noticed it on NCL, just as I noticed it on DCL for our last cruise. The way I see it, they want a certain amount of $$ per cabin.

They just play games with how it is divided up. On Disney, our cabin was $5200. If you booked 2 guests, it $2600 each. If you booked 4, it was $1300 each. When they kicked in the KSF promo, it was $2600 for my wife and I (but the kids were free). No matter how you sliced the pie, the cabin itself carried the same cost.......

On one of our upcoming cruises, NCL was the same way. It all comes down to a cabin cost.

I've played with mock bookings for several different cruise lines, they all play this game.