HAL Makes List With Most Noro Outbreaks

cbr663

Interesting story on Fortune.com (http://fortune.com/2015/04/15/5-cruise-lines-most-stomach-bug-outbreaks/). HAL makes the list of the 5 cruise lines with the most stomach bug outbreaks. The list includes:

1. Celebrity, tied with
  2. Princess
  3. Royal Caribbean, tied with
  4. HAL
  5. Cunard

As long as it stays off the Maasdam from MAY 1 - 16, then I don't care. :rolleyes:

As long as it stays off the Maasdam from MAY 1 - 16, then I don't care. :rolleyes:

Ditto the Veendam May 9th - 16th. We are very frequent hand washers, hoping that helps keep the NV away. Knock on wood, never say never... :D

Lorie

PS - I like R.E.D.I.S. Hopefully I get to say that some day in the future :)

Edited by galensgrl

We are very frequent hand washers, hoping that helps keep the NV away. Knock on wood, never say never... :D

Lorie

We are too - in fact for the bathroom on our last cruise I'd brought a bottle of "Soft Soap Antibacterial" that we used religiously. I don't imagine it would kill viruses but certainly would bacteria and the extra, extended washings couldn't help but to wash viruses away as well.

I figured it was well worth a try :D

Ditto the Veendam May 9th - 16th. We are very frequent hand washers, hoping that helps keep the NV away.

Aye,...and therein lies the rub. If everyone onboard were to do likewise, Norovirus wouldn't be a problem. My wife and I are appalled at the frequency with which we see someone leave a restroom without first washing their hands. UGH!

And Lorie, I don't know how close you are to joining the ranks of the "retired," but when it happens, you'll find yourself smiling an awful lot and for no readily apparent reason.:)

I guess as a retired DDS I am stuck with sanitizing everything. Lysol spray works great in our cabin. We wipe down everything. In the Lido I use wipes to hold onto serving spoons, we always wash hands prior to eating, and remember the condoments on the tables you need to watch those also. We always wash hands after eating, never touch handles on doors or banisters. Never have gotten sick even when there was a Norvo on board. Call it luck!

I am sure others will laugh at this, but it works for us!

I am not surprised. We have been on quite a few HAL ships that either had the Noro virus on it when we embarked or it broke out while we were cruising.

The first time this happened to us was in either 2001 or 2002 when we repositioning from Seattle to Ft Lauderdale and passengers getting on in LA brought on the sickness.

We were told on a cruise that the reason the Code Orange was dropped was because with the reduction in staff, there are not enough workers to man the Lido for 48 hours.

Don't know how true this is.

I think that is accurate in addition to some unknown percent of success with the Code Orange on all ships, first two days.

Who is the Cruise Director who signs off every announcement with "Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands!!!"

We had him on one cruise...just can't recall his name.

We've been on two ships with Noro. Noordam in 2008 and Ryndam in 2013. We managed to be OK...I think because we follow the precautions.

To avoid noro, I just use the sanitizer dispensers whenever I pass one, avoid public restrooms, don't touch any railings, wash hands often, and avoid the lido.

Of course, if onboard when the ship is in port the only place for lunch is the Lido. I guess I've been lucky so far.

Official Norovirus Outbreaks - as defined by the CDC - are a numbers and percentages game.

2% of passengers on a small ship on a long cruise is very different from 2% of passengers on a big ship on a short cruise.

A small ship on a long voyage can have just one or two cases a day and still hit 2% to qualify for an official outbreak.

A big ship on a 7-day cruise can have dozens of cases every day and still not hit 2% before the cruise ends.

USA has more yearly cases of Norwalk virus than any other country.

Ships that leave from US ports usually carry more Americans; this increases the chances of more NLV cases brought onboard.

Many studies report that NLV is most likely to infect people with Type O Blood.

Who has Type O Blood? Primarily Anglo-Saxons.

That may help to explain why USA, Canada, Australia, UK, and Germany have higher percentages of Norwalk outbreaks than most other countries.

If your ship is carrying a high percentage of people from those countries, the odds of infection increase.

Those same studies suggest that people with Blood Types A, B, and AB - although not immune - are very unlikely to become infected with NLV, even when exposed.

Who has these blood types? Many Asians.

Ships carrying primarily Asian passengers rarely have NLV problems. It can still happen, but just far less likely.

Official Norovirus Outbreaks - as defined by the CDC - are a numbers and percentages game.

2% of passengers on a small ship on a long cruise is very different from 2% of passengers on a big ship on a short cruise.

A small ship on a long voyage can have just one or two cases a day and still hit 2% to qualify for an official outbreak.

A big ship on a 7-day cruise can have dozens of cases every day and still not hit 2% before the cruise ends.

Ships that leave from US ports usually carry more Americans; this increases the chances of more NLV cases brought onboard.

That may help to explain why USA, Canada, Australia, UK, and Germany have higher percentages of Norwalk outbreaks than most other countries.

If your ship is carrying a high percentage of people from those countries, the odds of infection increase.

Those same studies suggest that people with Blood Types A, B, and AB - although not immune - are very unlikely to become infected with NLV, even when exposed.

Ships carrying primarily Asian passengers rarely have NLV problems. It can still happen, but just far less likely.

Hmmm. My mother is English and I'm a New Zealander and we have type A blood. Wonder what happened there. My Dad does have O type though. Knock on wood, to date I haven't had noro.

Who is the Cruise Director who signs off every announcement with "Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands!!!"

We had him on one cruise...just can't recall his name.

We've been on two ships with Noro. Noordam in 2008 and Ryndam in 2013. We managed to be OK...I think because we follow the precautions.

Carlos

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing

I like everyone else have been surprised by the number of people I have seen who leave the rest room with out washing their hands or by running a bit of water over their hands like they are rinsing the germs away. We were always told to recite the ABC's and when you are done your hands will be clean!

Oh no - I'm type O!

I wash very often, with lots of soap and warm water. I don't touch railings and use elbows for doors if possible. I carry wipes with me, and wipe my hands after ordering anything (How many other hands have touched your menu before you?)

I carry a small can of Lysol onto the ship and spray the cabin often.

I read somewhere that the Purell-type hand sanitizer does nothing for Noro, as Noro is a virus and sanitizers kill primarily bacteria. So it's good for keeping away many other types of illness but not Noro.

I was pleased to see that on the Eurodam in March there were paper towels and wastebaskets near the exit doors in all of the restrooms I was in so you could wash your hands well and then not have to touch the door handles with clean hands. Knowing that there are those that don't wash well (if at all) being able to use the paper to open the door was a relief.