RCCL's new internet policy for crown and anchor members....not good!!

SF

Just found out from our daughter who's presently on Liberty that RCCL has changed their internet policy for crown and anchor members. Diamond members use to get 30 free minutes to use how they pleased throughout the cruise....well now it's gone!!!!!!!!!! Instead someone came up with this crazy plan to give a one time 24 hours of unlimited internet. Don't know about others but I don't plan on sitting at the computer while on a cruise for most of my one day of free internet nor do I plan to use it during the midnight hours. We used the 30 minutes during our cruises just to keep in touch with family members back home and that amount of time was sufficient and we got to use it during the whole cruise so it was enough to check in especially with an elderly parent. Now the new plan is if I understood it correctly $15.00 per day for unlimited internet and there is no per minute plans nor any plans except for unlimited so for those of us who need to keep in touch with family members or wish to use the computer for a short period of time we are now going to have to add $15.00 per day even if you use it for just a few minutes per day.:( I believe if you don't want the free 24 hours Diamond members can get a credit of $29.99 but remember there is no per minute charge anymore and no packages just unlimited per day at a cost of $15.00. So if you do the math and take the credit it still will cost you close to $120 for a ten day cruise no matter if you use it for a short period of time. Don't know how others feel but we feel like RCCL is nickle and diming us once again. They know people need to keep in touch with family or require the internet for short periods and they also know most people aren't going to sit at the computer for hours on end while cruising but yet they offer this ridiculous plan and take away another perk to loyal customers. Hopefully they'll come to their senses on this like they did when Dynamic Dining upset a lot of customers and they'll end up offering an alternative or reinstate the 30 free anytime minutes. I have NO intention of spending $120.00 (150.00 minus discount) for a ten day cruise or more on longer cruises in order to be able to use the internet for less than 5 minutes per day. Unlimited internet is great for those that spend a long amount of time on the computer and can be an option but it's unfair of RCCL to take away our perk of 30 minutes free throughout the cruise and make purchasing unlimited internet mandatory because you need the internet for a few minutes. This is also true for Diamond Plus and Pinnacle but not sure of their discount amount. I called RCCL today and there representatives didn't even know about this new change. I had to get transferred to another dept. where they confirmed this. Was planning on booking one of their ships for our Europe cruise again but may switch to another line where they honor their loyal passengers and still give them the choice when to use their free minutes. Just thought others should know about this new policy.

I must be missing something here. :confused:

C&A perk is 24 hour unlimited Internet.

24 hour Internet is $15.

Instead of getting the 24 hour Internet as C&A perk you can get $ 29.99.

That´s not adding up, as in that case everybody would opt for the $29.99 which equates 48 hours of Internet.:confused:

I suspect that as more and more achieved Diamond status they were loosing too much revenue.

I also suspect that this type of thing will become increasingly common as "Too Many" qualify for the benefits the benefits will be changed.

Unless they changed it in the last 4wks, when we were on Freedom there was a choice of Packages the 24hr unlimited being one of them(if you chose it), there was still the choice of your 60mins being available to use until it ran out, you just had to be careful and pick the right package and also make sure you ticked the box for the C&A Coupon to be applied.

I just disembarked from Rhapsody yesterday. This is also how I read it, but it was NOT the case. There is no change!!!!

Maybe not on that ship yet but like I said I have family on Liberty right now and this new policy is already in effect and RCCL confirmed it when I spoke to them. We just got off Allure recently and did not have the

new policy and did not know about it then but the rep I spoke to yesterday from RCCL said it is coming.

The "24 hour" internet use has been there for quite a while BUT so have other options. She needs to click "apply coupon" to one of the other choices. Tell her to go to Guest Services and have them correct her choice.

She did as she thought it was a mistake and was told about their new policy by Guest Services and it is now in effect on Liberty. Yes, we know about the unlimited and like you said the choice was there but now on Liberty there is no choice for anything but unlimited and 24 hours free for Diamond tier.

I must be missing something here. :confused:

C&A perk is 24 hour unlimited Internet.

24 hour Internet is $15.

Instead of getting the 24 hour Internet as C&A perk you can get $ 29.99.

That´s not adding up, as in that case everybody would opt for the $29.99 which equates 48 hours of Internet.:confused:

If Diamond tier on Liberty you get 24 hrs of unlimited internet free and then you have used your internet free time or the lady told me if you purchase an unlimited package you get 29.99 credit towards the cost.

Edited by SF

We were on Quantum in Feb. I actually liked he new internet perk. May wife and I are D+. We were given a choice of a variety of discounted packages, 45 minutes to be used until it was gone, 24 hours unlimited. So, I chose 45 minutes free. I used it throughout the cruise. Then on the last day I registered my wife for the 24 hours unlimited. It allowed me to spend as much time as I wanted checking my flight, answering emails, posting pictures, etc. Worked great. Could check and respond to all emails necessary during the cruise, then use 24 hours prior to departure to set up airport shuttles, or whatever. My guess... the OP's daughter didn't read the packages closely enough. Unlike some, I see the new policy as a huge improvement by RCCL in the internet package.

Sometimes you just need to read the options, and give credit to Royal Caribbean for making an improvement. I know it isn't very "PC" right now to say Royal did something right, but this time, they did.

I hope we get the right answer to this because if the original post is correct this would be another blow by RCL to a large number of folks who use it for short periods of time to check in at home during the cruise. Another cruel move by rcl if true.

Unless they changed it in the last 4wks, when we were on Freedom there was a choice of Packages the 24hr unlimited being one of them(if you chose it), there was still the choice of your 60mins being available to use until it ran out, you just had to be careful and pick the right package and also make sure you ticked the box for the C&A Coupon to be applied.

I asked the rep when this went into effect as we recently got off Allure and had no change and she told me around end of March. I asked if it was coming to the other ships and she said yes maybe it hasn't yet but it is definitely on Liberty this new policy.

OP is correct - we were on Independence in March and those were the options we were offered as Diamond - there is no longer a per minute choice. It was either 24 hours continuously or take $30 off the internet package which I believe was $15 a day. Toward the end of the cruise the daily price was dropped to maybe $10 a day. Also, you could only use this for one device and if you used your own tablet or whatever, you could not use their computers too.

I have also used the free 30 minutes to check with home and work and I am not happy that I am expected to buy a package for the whole cruise when I only use it every other day to check in.

We were on Quantum in Feb. I actually liked he new internet perk. May wife and I are D+. We were given a choice of a variety of discounted packages, 45 minutes to be used until it was gone, 24 hours unlimited. So, I chose 45 minutes free. I used it throughout the cruise. Then on the last day I registered my wife for the 24 hours unlimited. It allowed me to spend as much time as I wanted checking my flight, answering emails, posting pictures, etc. Worked great. Could check and respond to all emails necessary during the cruise, then use 24 hours prior to departure to set up airport shuttles, or whatever. My guess... the OP's daughter didn't read the packages closely enough. Unlike some, I see the new policy as a huge improvement by RCCL in the internet package.

Sometimes you just need to read the options, and give credit to Royal Caribbean for making an improvement. I know it isn't very "PC" right now to say Royal did something right, but this time, they did.

No mistake... on Liberty presently there are no packages other than unlimited. Yes, the unlimited package was there prior but with other options as well, but not anymore on Liberty. I did not believe it at first but not only did I call RCCL but the person presently onboard went to Guest Services.

We were on the Liberty April 2- 6th. Had an Internet allowance of $59.90 (D+). Clicked on the $60.00 package (unlimited for the 4 days). Had a 10 cent charge on our Account. That was it. All was good. Hope this stays the same.

Kathy:)

OP is correct - we were on Independence in March and those were the options we were offered as Diamond - there is no longer a per minute choice. It was either 24 hours continuously or take $30 off the internet package which I believe was $15 a day. Toward the end of the cruise the daily price was dropped to maybe $10 a day. Also, you could only use this for one device and if you used your own tablet or whatever, you could not use their computers too.

I have also used the free 30 minutes to check with home and work and I am not happy that I am expected to buy a package for the whole cruise when I only use it every other day to check in.

Thank you for posting your experience :) as what you wrote is exactly what I was told by RCCL and what our daughter was told aboard Liberty presently.

We were on the Liberty April 2- 6th. Had an Internet allowance of $59.90 (D+). Clicked on the $60.00 package (unlimited for the 4 days). Had a 10 cent charge on our Account. That was it. All was good. Hope this stays the same.

That's great if your Diamond Plus but not so great if your Diamond....we only get 24 hrs:( Way the pros and cons.... 30 minutes over your cruise or 24 hrs?

If the new rules on Liberty spread throughout the fleet, the last day will be very slow, because people will hold off using the internet so they don't have to pay extra for their boarding passes. I wonder if they moved to the new model because the internet was slow, and people were complaining using all their free minutes logging on.

If you're diamond, and don't have ChoiceAir, the concierge can print the boarding passes for you. Still don't understand why our Diamond Concierge refused to print out our boarding passes. He said it was impossible. But I was able to print mine out in the internet cafe for a fee.

Actually, once Sasha told me he couldn't print the boarding passes, my reputation as a computer operator was at stake, and I just HAD to prove him wrong!

Edited by knittinggirl

I suspect that as more and more achieved Diamond status they were loosing too much revenue.

I also suspect that this type of thing will become increasingly common as "Too Many" qualify for the benefits the benefits will be changed.

Just as I am reaching diamond! I. too. just need about 5 minutes per day - not interested in emailing everyone I know about my vacation.

Sounds like a winner.

But our next two cruises are 14 and 10 days respectively. Also, back on Navigator last year, we were told to wait until port days because everyone was trying to log on during the sea days.

Can we pick four separate days, or must they be contiguous?

Sounds like a winner.

But our next two cruises are 14 and 10 days respectively. Also, back on Navigator last year, we were told to wait until port days because everyone was trying to log on during the sea days.

Sorry I don't know. I am expecting that when we go on a 7 or 5 night cruise everything will be as it was for the 4 night cruise. Naïve perhaps but optimistic.:D

How come the internet at the Next Cruise Office is never as slow as the once we pay extra for?

Lol. When your surfing faster brings Royal more money, you'll close the gap, but for now the loyalty desk gets the bandwidth to bring home the bacon. [emoji389]

No, you cannot pick separate days, they must be contiguous. The packages no longer offer the 30 minutes or one hour times for the duration of the cruise. If you want to check email every day you have no internet option other than applying your coupon to an unlimited package for the duration of the cruise.

Apparently Royal felt too many C&A people were using their coupons for the 30 minute or one hour "duration" packages. Since those options did not generate revenue and solely benefitted the C&A members they were discontinued.