RCCL's new internet policy for crown and anchor members....not good!!

SF

Just wanted to say that I LOVE the 24-hour unlimited internet. I could download books on my tablet, browse the news at dinner, and check port shops out. It was great and the internet was fairly fast. Fast enough to watch a Youtube video for instance and download email files.

Can someone tell me how the "single device" limitation works? Does that mean one device at a time (using login+password or similar scheme), or is the 24-hour period locked to a device's MAC address? I'd prefer use my tablet for some things (reading) and my laptop for others (writing), at different times.

This change in the Diamond perk is very disappointing to me, as I tend to prefer longer cruises, and can make an hour of "minutes" last a week or more to stay in touch.

One device at a time but you can log off that device and then use a different device later.

I don't know if anyone posted this yet. I didn't have time to read through all the pages.

I just got off Quantum today. There was a special the last two days of the cruise for $39.95. I used my $29.95 credit so only paid $10 for 48 hours.

I have Verizon and text if I need to get in touch with someone back home or they need to get me. It's $.50 to send and $.05 to receive.

Shoot. That stinks. So our son is diamond and now his coupons allow him to purchase a discounted coffee or a discounted spa treatment, but the laundry discount and free internet coupon is gone. Sheesh. He's not getting any coffee or a spa treatment. Wonder why at diamond level, it's just a 10% discount instead of free.

Thanks for posting the link though. For some reason, on all his past cruises, he's always gotten coupons matching ours. Maybe we were just lucky?

Sounds like you were lucky. We only had wrong coupon book for DD once. Happened when they don't check ages closely enough. Minors not allowed coupons that contain alcohol or gambling. As such kids coupons were introduced ages ago. Even when books issued and not on card they had a seperate book geared to them, free minutes arcade, discounts for shops ashore etc. Technically you have not lost his laundry or Internet coupons as technically he wasn't entitled to them in the first place.

Other thing to remember with kids coupons is benefits the same regardless of level, hence why no free internet. I do agree the kids coupons could be better, especially for teens.

Edited by Spurschick

Sounds like you were lucky. We only had wrong coupon book for DD once. Happened when they don't check ages closely enough. Minors not allowed coupons that contain alcohol or gambling. As such kids coupons were introduced ages ago. Even when books issued and not on card they had a seperate book geared to them, free minutes arcade, discounts for shops ashore etc. Technically you have not lost his laundry or Internet coupons as technically he wasn't entitled to them in the first place.

Other thing to remember with kids coupons is benefits the same regardless of level, hence why no free internet. I do agree the kids coupons could be better, especially for teens.

Yes, they need to revamp them for kids. I think they could improve them. I disagree that he isn't entitled to the laundry discount and the internet perk. With him earning diamond status, he should be entitled to the same benefit as far as internet goes. I'm with you on the gambling and alcohol though. That seems a definite perk that needs to be age discriminable.

DH commented that soon RCI will install pay toilets in your stateroom...and if it ever gets clogged, you'll get the plumbers bill for coming to fix it!

And I am sure there will be a new C & A reward associated with this.

If you are D+, you can get 60 free flushes for a 7 day sailing, for use in a 24 hour period. Not to be combined with any other offer on new bookings only.

later

LOL pretty good Funny at least I thought it was. But also a lil true.

And I am sure there will be a new C & A reward associated with this.

If you are D+, you can get 60 free flushes for a 7 day sailing, for use in a 24 hour period. Not to be combined with any other offer on new bookings only.

later

LOL pretty good Funny at least I thought it was. But also a lil true.

Lol :)

An old saying in the UK "where there's muck there's brass" :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just came back (2-weeks ago) from the Quantum.

First the internet is extremely fast, in fact faster then at home or work. RCCL has a new internet technology system using a dedicated sattilite. They offerened several packages, a daily rate and weekly rate. Packages are unlimitted usage and offer multiple devices. My daughter purchased the week with 2 devices, (laptop computer and IPhone). Cost is $150.00 less any discounts you have. As I remember (not sure) one device is $100.00. It was well worth it, we called home using "facetime" on the IPhone as well as email on the laptop. Unlimited usage and speed was a god sent

They are suppose to put this on all their ships, don't know when it will be completed

• 8 months later...

We just completed a 1/21/16 sailing of Vision of the Seas, and discovered that RCCL has eliminated timed wifi options and now only offers unlimited packages. The result is that in order to retrieve daily emails now costs $120, rather than being free to Diamond members.

Previously, RCCL offered packages of something like 120 minutes for $40 and provided Diamond members $40 off, resulting in two 120 minute packages for two Diamond members (husband and wife) at no cost.

But RCCL has eliminated any timed plans, and now the least expensive package is $160 with a $40 credit for Diamond members, for a $120 net cost. Big increase from zero cost! The only zero cost option is one 24 hour period free (for each Diamond member), but then you'd have no email or other Internet (which we use to download a US newspaper to read offline or check the weather, etc.)

We were on the brilliance april 25th and got the new 24 hours continuous instead of the 60 minutes you use by logging on and off. We each got the 24 hours so worked out well. Bob

It worked well for us also on the Oasis (Dec) and Indy (last week). Connection time is so much faster now. :)

KathyT

We just completed a 1/21/16 sailing of Vision of the Seas, and discovered the same thing - that RCCL has eliminated timed wifi options and now only offers unlimited packages. The result is that in order to retrieve daily emails now costs $120, rather than being free to Diamond members.

Previously, RCCL offered packages of something like 120 minutes for $40 and provided Diamond members $40 off, resulting in two 120 minute packages for two Diamond members (husband and wife) at no cost.

But RCCL has eliminated any timed plans, and now the least expensive package is $160 with a $40 credit for Diamond members, for a $120 net cost. Big increase from zero cost! The only zero cost option is one 24 hour period free (for each Diamond member), but then you'd have no email or other Internet (which we use to download a US newspaper to read offline or check the weather, etc.). NOT happy about this, and agree it's part of the stated RCCL goal to increase shipboard revenue.

We just completed a 1/21/16 sailing of Vision of the Seas, and discovered the same thing - that RCCL has eliminated timed wifi options and now only offers unlimited packages. The result is that in order to retrieve daily emails now costs $120, rather than being free to Diamond members.

But RCCL has eliminated any timed plans, and now the least expensive package is $160 with a $40 credit for Diamond members, for a $120 net cost. Big increase from zero cost! The only zero cost option is one 24 hour period free (for each Diamond member), but then you'd have no email or other Internet (which we use to download a US newspaper to read offline or check the weather, etc.). NOT happy about this, and agree it's part of the stated RCCL goal to increase shipboard revenue.

Understand what you are saying, but it's been this way for a year or two now.

Most Caribbean ports charge around .99cents a.m. or so to use your cell phone. If one had 4 ports and made a 3 minute call at each port, 4 calls, you have only spent 12$. If you made the same 4 calls with your cell phone on ship, the price would still be only around 30$. Pretty cheap compared to internet. Texting would be much cheaper.

I used my $7.25 a month phone plan to send and receive a few texts and make short calls to my husband while in San Juan and St. Thomas. It cost me 15 cents per text and 20 cents per minute with no roaming charges. A total of $4.20. I also let my friend use the my phone because she was unsure about her $45 a month plan's roaming charges.

Deja Vu?

Currently on Oasis and using the D+ discounts, I'm only paying $15 for the entire week of internet usage. 2 24 hrs. and $60 towards an internet package.

Do you recall how late in the cruise you able to buy internet at the $15 per day rate?

Currently on Oasis and using the D+ discounts, I'm only paying $15 for the entire week of internet usage. 2 24 hrs. and $60 towards an internet package.

Is this plan available on all ships? I thought you had to use the $60 D+ discount on the weekly package. We're sailing very soon on Freedom so if you can provide additional information I'd greatly appreciate that!

Edited by cruislovin

Is this plan available on all ships? I thought you had to use the $60 D+ discount on the weekly package. We're sailing very soon on Freedom so if you can provide additional information I'd greatly appreciate that!

All ships offer the C&A discounts on internet, but the amount varies depending on if the ship ahs Voom or not.

She did as she thought it was a mistake and was told about their new policy by Guest Services and it is now in effect on Liberty. Yes, we know about the unlimited and like you said the choice was there but now on Liberty there is no choice for anything but unlimited and 24 hours free for Diamond tier.

I was looking forward to having 30 min free internet - enough to check in with family several times. A whole 24 hr block is ridiculous.