RCCL's new internet policy for crown and anchor members....not good!!

SF

Actually, once Sasha told me he couldn't print the boarding passes, my reputation as a computer operator was at stake, and I just HAD to prove him wrong!

Our first or second cruise on EN (old CL before they moved to VCL deck) the computers in the CL were not speaking to the printer. a pax needed something printed out( no idea what but it wasn't a boarding pass since it was like the second day of the cruise). DH managed to get them speaking to one another and she was able to finally print whatever it was. Reyno offered to give him a day of free inter web as a thank you but we declined since we didn't care about that.

Never needed internet to stay in touch back home. Texting and 1 or 2 calls is all we have ever needed adding around 15$ to 25$ to our Verizon bill. Even cheaper if we call while in port.

We have only used the internet to check in with the airline if we don't use luggage valet. C&A free time.

Just found out from our daughter who's presently on Liberty that RCCL has changed their internet policy for crown and anchor members. Diamond members use to get 30 free minutes to use how they pleased throughout the cruise....well now it's gone!!!!!!!!!! Instead someone came up with this crazy plan to give a one time 24 hours of unlimited internet. Don't know about others but I don't plan on sitting at the computer while on a cruise for most of my one day of free internet nor do I plan to use it during the midnight hours. We used the 30 minutes during our cruises just to keep in touch with family members back home and that amount of time was sufficient and we got to use it during the whole cruise so it was enough to check in especially with an elderly parent. Now the new plan is if I understood it correctly $15.00 per day for unlimited internet and there is no per minute plans nor any plans except for unlimited so for those of us who need to keep in touch with family members or wish to use the computer for a short period of time we are now going to have to add $15.00 per day even if you use it for just a few minutes per day.:( I believe if you don't want the free 24 hours Diamond members can get a credit of $29.99 but remember there is no per minute charge anymore and no packages just unlimited per day at a cost of $15.00. So if you do the math and take the credit it still will cost you close to $120 for a ten day cruise no matter if you use it for a short period of time. Don't know how others feel but we feel like RCCL is nickle and diming us once again. They know people need to keep in touch with family or require the internet for short periods and they also know most people aren't going to sit at the computer for hours on end while cruising but yet they offer this ridiculous plan and take away another perk to loyal customers. Hopefully they'll come to their senses on this like they did when Dynamic Dining upset a lot of customers and they'll end up offering an alternative or reinstate the 30 free anytime minutes. I have NO intention of spending $120.00 (150.00 minus discount) for a ten day cruise or more on longer cruises in order to be able to use the internet for less than 5 minutes per day. Unlimited internet is great for those that spend a long amount of time on the computer and can be an option but it's unfair of RCCL to take away our perk of 30 minutes free throughout the cruise and make purchasing unlimited internet mandatory because you need the internet for a few minutes. This is also true for Diamond Plus and Pinnacle but not sure of their discount amount. I called RCCL today and there representatives didn't even know about this new change. I had to get transferred to another dept. where they confirmed this. Was planning on booking one of their ships for our Europe cruise again but may switch to another line where they honor their loyal passengers and still give them the choice when to use their free minutes. Just thought others should know about this new policy.

So basically, you'd have to do what almost every other passenger on the ship does and pay for internet. Ok. I fail to see why you're getting so worked up. My guess is they changed it after getting feedback that perhaps more people felt they'd get more benefit out of a whole day (to catch up on work from the ship or something). I'm having a hard time sympathizing with someone who is this angry at a change that is giving you something for free. Maybe you can just wait til you get off the ship and use a local restaurant/shop/bar's complementary internet. Or do what the majority of other passengers on the ship are doing and pay for it.

I think a time out is needed, goodness.

Another option is the free wifi in the ports. Thank you to the OP for the information, it was extremely hard to read but I understood what she was trying to say. Leave her be.

Thanks for taking the time to post the info OP. Had no trouble reading it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree.

Those that are complaining would just find something else to complain about even if it was written to their specifications.

If you don't like the way it's written then don't read it and certainly don't criticize those that post.

I think a time out is needed, goodness.

Another option is the free wifi in the ports. Thank you to the OP for the information, it was extremely hard to read but I understood what she was trying to say. Leave her be.

Agree.

Those that are complaining would just find something else to complain about even if it was written to their specifications.

If you don't like the way it's written then don't read it and certainly don't criticize those that post.

Thank you for your posts. :)

I appreciate any Internet we get from being C & A members but do not use that to keep in touch with home. We find "free" Wi fi in the ports for that. Just trying to sign in to email while on the ship can take forever. I don't have time to waste waiting for my "free" Internet to be used. Much better use of time by checking while docked.

we don't have personal devices...no cell phones, tablets, or whatever else...so I guess we'll wait until the last day of a cruise to use our free 24 hours unlimited to do the airline check-in and print our boarding passes. Or maybe we'll just wait and do the check-in at the airport....

DH commented that soon RCI will install pay toilets in your stateroom...and if it ever gets clogged, you'll get the plumbers bill for coming to fix it!

DH commented that soon RCI will install pay toilets in your stateroom...and if it ever gets clogged, you'll get the plumbers bill for coming to fix it!

Cute...had a good laugh.:)

And I am sure there will be a new C & A reward associated with this.

If you are D+, you can get 60 free flushes for a 7 day sailing, for use in a 24 hour period. Not to be combined with any other offer on new bookings only.

later

IM so glad to have my iphone in airplane mode ( cruise ship mode ) once I do the sail away. But I understand my situation might different from others. I always look for a free wifi in a port for a few minutes chat with my family

And I am sure there will be a new C & A reward associated with this.

If you are D+, you can get 60 free flushes for a 7 day sailing, for use in a 24 hour period. Not to be combined with any other offer on new bookings only.

Can you combine the flushes with the balcony discount?

Edited by marci22

IM so glad to have my iphone in airplane mode ( cruise ship mode ) once I do the sail away. But I understand my situation might different from others. I always look for a free wifi in a port for a few minutes chat with my family

We also try to look for free wi-fi when in port but on transatlantic crossings with six or seven seas days at times makes it hard.

Nothing had changed as of last week on the Brilliance...still had 60 mins. to use through out the 5 days of the cruise...hoping it hasn't changed, as I do like to check in at home during the entire time I am gone...no tablet or internet phone so free or cheap wi-fi in port is not an option for me...

We reached out to Royal Caribbean to find out more about this. The company is currently piloting a new Internet rewards program, and will make final decisions after receiving passenger feedback.

Here's what is being piloted: "ships will offer 1 day of free internet or $29.95 off any internet package for Diamond tier members, 2 days of free internet or $59.95 off any internet package for Diamond-plus tier members, and unlimited free internet for Pinnacle tier members."

We reached out to Royal Caribbean to find out more about this. The company is currently piloting a new Internet rewards program, and will make final decisions after receiving passenger feedback.

Here's what is being piloted: "ships will offer 1 day of free internet or $29.95 off any internet package for Diamond tier members, 2 days of free internet or $59.95 off any internet package for Diamond-plus tier members, and unlimited free internet for Pinnacle tier members."

If Royal really wants to reward C&A top tier members they should add two more options to that menu. Add 60 or 90 minutes for duration of cruise for Diamond. Add 120 or 180 minutes for duration of cruise for Diamond Plus. That would please everyone and constitute a real "benefit" for all concerned.

Sounds like a great plan to me. They have my vote for it.

They really should look at having different amounts of Internet time based on the length of the cruise. Right now you get the same whether on a 3, 7 or 12 day cruise.

As has been shown with other changes RCI has implemented, one has to wait quite some time before the final version of the change is in place. And usually, the RCI web site info is one of the last ones to reflect what's happening on the ship. Between now and then, be prepared for different versions of internet policy regarding C&A discounts. :cool:

The "24 hour" internet use has been there for quite a while BUT so have other options. She needs to click "apply coupon" to one of the other choices. Tell her to go to Guest Services and have them correct her choice.

No, on the 2/2/15 Quantum the code was useless. We found out, after haggling, that the D internet discount was 30 minutes for 24 hrs versus usage throughout the cruise. Some of us D & D+ members were baffled as the list of benefits left in our room did not reflect this new policy.

We marched to guest services and as typical they were not even aware of this policy. We then spoke to one of the managers and someone in out group, implied that it was false advertising. He excused himself by saying that he needed to speak to other folks. He came back some 5 minutes later and told us that we would be allowed the allotted minutes to be used throughout the cruise. They created a new package level of $19.99 for usage of these minutes. To this day, we don't know whether it was applied to all of the D & D+ tiered members of to the select identified group that bitched.

Ps. There were a ton of D & D+ members on this cruise and less than 5 Pinnacles.