RCCL's new internet policy for crown and anchor members....not good!!

SF

No, on the 2/2/15 Quantum the code was useless. We found out, after haggling, that the D internet discount was 30 minutes for 24 hrs versus usage throughout the cruise. Some of us D & D+ members were baffled as the list of benefits left in our room did not reflect this new policy.

We marched to guest services and as typical they were not even aware of this policy. We then spoke to one of the managers and someone in out group, implied that it was false advertising. He excused himself by saying that he needed to speak to other folks. He came back some 5 minutes later and told us that we would be allowed the allotted minutes to be used throughout the cruise. They created a new package level of $19.99 for usage of these minutes. To this day, we don't know whether it was applied to all of the D & D+ tiered members of to the select identified group that bitched.

Ps. There were a ton of D & D+ members on this cruise and less than 5 Pinnacles.

Sounds just like what my daughter explained happened this week on Liberty. However, even with everyone complaining they did not honor what the benefits said. Glad to hear you were lucky with your request.

On our 3/21/15 Quantum cruise. We had a choice of several packages. We was able to take the 60 min. total for the cruise. Applied coupon cost us nothing. With the fast internet this was plenty for us. This could change any time with RCCL.

Edited by macrc

Just found out from our daughter who's presently on Liberty that RCCL has changed their internet policy for crown and anchor members. Diamond members use to get 30 free minutes to use how they pleased throughout the cruise....well now it's gone!!!!!!!!!! Instead someone came up with this crazy plan to give a one time 24 hours of unlimited internet. Don't know about others but I don't plan on sitting at the computer while on a cruise for most of my one day of free internet nor do I plan to use it during the midnight hours. We used the 30 minutes during our cruises just to keep in touch with family members back home and that amount of time was sufficient and we got to use it during the whole cruise so it was enough to check in especially with an elderly parent. Now the new plan is if I understood it correctly $15.00 per day for unlimited internet and there is no per minute plans nor any plans except for unlimited so for those of us who need to keep in touch with family members or wish to use the computer for a short period of time we are now going to have to add $15.00 per day even if you use it for just a few minutes per day.:( I believe if you don't want the free 24 hours Diamond members can get a credit of $29.99 but remember there is no per minute charge anymore and no packages just unlimited per day at a cost of $15.00. So if you do the math and take the credit it still will cost you close to $120 for a ten day cruise no matter if you use it for a short period of time. Don't know how others feel but we feel like RCCL is nickle and diming us once again. They know people need to keep in touch with family or require the internet for short periods and they also know most people aren't going to sit at the computer for hours on end while cruising but yet they offer this ridiculous plan and take away another perk to loyal customers. Hopefully they'll come to their senses on this like they did when Dynamic Dining upset a lot of customers and they'll end up offering an alternative or reinstate the 30 free anytime minutes. I have NO intention of spending $120.00 (150.00 minus discount) for a ten day cruise or more on longer cruises in order to be able to use the internet for less than 5 minutes per day. Unlimited internet is great for those that spend a long amount of time on the computer and can be an option but it's unfair of RCCL to take away our perk of 30 minutes free throughout the cruise and make purchasing unlimited internet mandatory because you need the internet for a few minutes. This is also true for Diamond Plus and Pinnacle but not sure of their discount amount. I called RCCL today and there representatives didn't even know about this new change. I had to get transferred to another dept. where they confirmed this. Was planning on booking one of their ships for our Europe cruise again but may switch to another line where they honor their loyal passengers and still give them the choice when to use their free minutes. Just thought others should know about this new policy.

O.M.G. thats a shame.

I would write a letter to the CEO and tell them what you think about this.

They can't play with your hard earned perks like that :eek:

You should have gone to Guest Services

1. When I first went on a cruise, the internet did not exist.

2. Than I went on cruises, and "smart phones, Pads, and Laptops" did not exist.

3. Then I had a smart phone, but I'm on vacation, with my family, so I did not "check-in" with work, because my co-workers are capable of handling things.

4. Now I travel with just the wife. I like having my smartphone to read the news, and keep up with life, grand-kids, and other family members.

5. When I traveled to Europe, I "pay" for an international data package. However, cruise ships, this was not available.

6. Now the cruise ship has internet packages for WiFi that is compatible but slightly higher than other international packages. If I read it right, $105 for 7 days with some people getting a discount. That's $40.00 more.

Questions: If people want this, and the cruise industry is offering it, than what is an extra $105.00 if you need it? If you don't need it, or want it, than you don't buy it. Why is this an issue?

Nickle and Dime - taking away items that are free and charging them. This was never a free service. It's not free at home, since you pay for it, and it's not free when roaming, so they provide a service that people want.

It's now cheaper than in the past.

If you have to check "work" email, and your company requires you to check "work" email, than why are you complaining. It becomes a business expense, and you have your company pay for it. If they don't, then don't check your email.

O.M.G. thats a shame.

I would write a letter to the CEO and tell them what you think about this.

They can't play with your hard earned perks like that :eek:

You should have gone to Guest Services

Sarcasm...how cute :rolleyes:

The problem arises when RCCL doesn't inform their passengers that their "hard earned perks" as you put it have changed. Not only that but some of their employees are not even aware of the changes and the benefit sheet left in your cabin doesn't reflex the change. Another problem is that some ships have this change or trial period and others don't so confusion is bound to happen.

It would be nice if RCCL informed their passengers. It would also be nice if and when the "perks" change that it changes for ALL the ships. Personally, I don't think it's fair for one crown and anchor member to get a "perk" while others don't.

If Royal really wants to reward C&A top tier members they should add two more options to that menu. Add 60 or 90 minutes for duration of cruise for Diamond. Add 120 or 180 minutes for duration of cruise for Diamond Plus. That would please everyone and constitute a real "benefit" for all concerned.

Yes, one day to use your free internet minutes is a very big downgrade in benefits. Most people with an hour of free internet are probably just checking emails from work/home once or twice a day.

I don't think anyone is surfing around, wasting time and taking up space at the computers, for free.

The fact that they are testing it out means they want feedback. I'm not sure why anyone would prefer one day to use their one hour of free minutes vs the entire cruise :confused:

We were on Quantum in Feb. I actually liked he new internet perk. May wife and I are D+. We were given a choice of a variety of discounted packages, 45 minutes to be used until it was gone, 24 hours unlimited. So, I chose 45 minutes free. I used it throughout the cruise. Then on the last day I registered my wife for the 24 hours unlimited. It allowed me to spend as much time as I wanted checking my flight, answering emails, posting pictures, etc. Worked great. Could check and respond to all emails necessary during the cruise, then use 24 hours prior to departure to set up airport shuttles, or whatever. My guess... the OP's daughter didn't read the packages closely enough. Unlike some, I see the new policy as a huge improvement by RCCL in the internet package.

Sometimes you just need to read the options, and give credit to Royal Caribbean for making an improvement. I know it isn't very "PC" right now to say Royal did something right, but this time, they did.

Seems like different ships are presenting different options. I think your options and the way you used them worked well, but I don't think everyone has been given the same choices.

Questions: If people want this, and the cruise industry is offering it, than what is an extra $105.00 if you need it? If you don't need it, or want it, than you don't buy it. Why is this an issue?

Nickle and Dime - taking away items that are free and charging them. This was never a free service. It's not free at home, since you pay for it, and it's not free when roaming, so they provide a service that people want.

It would be nice if when things change that RCCL let their passengers know and informs their employees so they can give proper answers to questions. Would also be nice if the same level crown and anchor members received the same benefits on ALL their ships... which isn't happening presently.

If you have to check "work" email, and your company requires you to check "work" email, than why are you complaining. It becomes a business expense, and you have your company pay for it. If they don't, then don't check your email.

Don't know about others but in our case it's not business related so no "expense account". Will it stop me from cruising ....no, but I will not be as loyal to RCCL if all the perks that kept me coming back are being taken away. Why sail with them when other cruise lines offer more?

The cruise line was offering it before too but internet minutes were part of your "perks". Also could use any of their computers or your tablet or phone. Now if I understood the RCCL rep correctly the cost of $15.00 per day is for ONE device. You can not now use their computer and your tablet. One or the other. We usually use our tablet but don't carry it around all day so sometimes if we are near the computers we'd use theirs. If they are going to be charging now you should be able to login on and use any computer.

IM so glad to have my iphone in airplane mode ( cruise ship mode ) once I do the sail away. But I understand my situation might different from others. I always look for a free wifi in a port for a few minutes chat with my family

Very good suggestion!:)

Seems like different ships are presenting different options. I think your options and the way you used them worked well, but I don't think everyone has been given the same choices.

Totally agree. Not all same level crown and anchor members are receiving the same benefits.

I would like to add i am on a phone with fat fingers when i send message so i do my best to be fast because i am usually i a hurry. I u r bothered sorry i was able to read it fine i think my on opinion on this but was upset at the writing comments so that is y i am responding we all are different u just need to chill ax. Thank you for the info ps usually numbers show up whne i type fast so ites even worse i tried to fix that in here as to not get to yelled at

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Hi SF, thanks for posting the info. It is a real shame, as we also only use the internet for a couple of minutes here and there, and a day of unlimited minutes would not be useful at all.

By the way, do you know what the internet Diamond perk now is for those under 18? I seem to recall they also got 30 mins in the past. Do they now get a day of unlimited, or is their perk still the same?

Hi SF, thanks for posting the info. It is a real shame, as we also only use the internet for a couple of minutes here and there, and a day of unlimited minutes would not be useful at all.

By the way, do you know what the internet Diamond perk now is for those under 18? I seem to recall they also got 30 mins in the past. Do they now get a day of unlimited, or is their perk still the same?

The kids internet remains unchanged at 10 minutes. That was as of our March cruise on Enchantment.

There has never been different perks for kids regardless of their C&A status. They all get the same.

Hi, not sure about those under 18 but the RCCL rep did say that they will not be having any per minute packages so don't know how that's going to work with their 10 minutes they were given.

Edited by SF

We are just off Navigator. The cheapest plan that was available for that sailing was a daily plan at $59.90, which you could apply the Diamond $29.95 credit towards. The only way that you could do a time based plan was to go to the ICafe and use their computers - there they offered a 30 minute plan for $10 (single use only). You could apply your Diamond credit to that, but you can only apply the credit to one transaction - in other words, you can't use the credit for 3 different 30 minute sessions.

We are VERY upset about not having the per minute plan. We have elderly parents at home that we need to be able to check in with every day or two - just an email, nothing major. The plan in the past made that very easy.

Here's the plans that were offered on our cruise (a 7 day cruise)

$229.95 - unlimited internet for two devices

$189.95 - unlimited internet for one device

$59.90 - 24 hours of continuous access for one device

$140.95 - three day special, continuous from time of purchase, for tow devices.

At the ICafe only (their computer) -

$10.00 - 30 minutes continuous from time of purchase.

We spoke to the Loyalty Ambassador, and she confirmed that this was going fleetwide, and that she was getting plenty of complaints!

Most Caribbean ports charge around .99cents a.m. or so to use your cell phone. If one had 4 ports and made a 3 minute call at each port, 4 calls, you have only spent 12$. If you made the same 4 calls with your cell phone on ship, the price would still be only around 30$. Pretty cheap compared to internet. Texting would be much cheaper.

Just got off the Adventure yesterday - Diamond status get 1 hour of internet loaded on your seapass card (1 hour per stateroom). You have to set up an account but once you do so go down to Guest Services and they will apply the Diamond discount ($29.95) to your account. Easy.

Edited by CruiseTobey

Most Caribbean ports charge around .99cents a.m. or so to use your cell phone. If one had 4 ports and made a 3 minute call at each port, 4 calls, you have only spent 12$. If you made the same 4 calls with your cell phone on ship, the price would still be only around 30$. Pretty cheap compared to internet. Texting would be much cheaper.

As stated before texting doesn't always work when at sea. Sometimes the text goes through other times it doesn't. For those cruisers who have several sea days in a row and other posters who like the previous poster who needs to keep in touch with elderly parents this new internet policy makes it more difficult.

We are just off Navigator. The cheapest plan that was available for that sailing was a daily plan at $59.90, which you could apply the Diamond $29.95 credit towards. The only way that you could do a time based plan was to go to the ICafe and use their computers - there they offered a 30 minute plan for $10 (single use only). You could apply your Diamond credit to that, but you can only apply the credit to one transaction - in other words, you can't use the credit for 3 different 30 minute sessions.

We are VERY upset about not having the per minute plan. We have elderly parents at home that we need to be able to check in with every day or two - just an email, nothing major. The plan in the past made that very easy.

Here's the plans that were offered on our cruise (a 7 day cruise)

$229.95 - unlimited internet for two devices

$189.95 - unlimited internet for one device

$59.90 - 24 hours of continuous access for one device

$140.95 - three day special, continuous from time of purchase, for tow devices.

At the ICafe only (their computer) -

$10.00 - 30 minutes continuous from time of purchase.

We spoke to the Loyalty Ambassador, and she confirmed that this was going fleetwide, and that she was getting plenty of complaints!

Glad to hear they had a lot of complaints with this new policy as maybe now they will re-think this.

There are other options to their data plan if you just need to check in with someone. If you have Verizon which I do, and which I used on are recent Legend OTS trip, it will cost you 50 cents to receive a text message and 5 cents to receive a text. Example below.

Hi Mom we are doing fine, hope your feeling well today. Jim and the kids love this ship. How are the Dogs Doing? We will be in St Thomas tomorrow where we will have wifi see you tomorrow all our love. Kim Jim and the Kids

Your Cost to send with Verizon Text Message 50 Cents

Hi Kim I am well the dogs are doing just fine. Glad the Kids are having a great time. Do not worry about us have a great trip. Talk to you tomorrow. Love Mom

Your Cost To Receive With Verizon Text Message 5 Cents

Total Cost 55 Cents

Savings Over RCCl DATA Plan $14.45

Now yes I understand different people have different reasons to stay in touch with people, such as,work, dire medical situation and so on, but for the standard we are doing well message the above is an example of how little it cost to stay in touch with family while at sea. Almost every place in Port now has a way to get on wifi by just buying a coke or product from their shop.

I think Royal See's that to, and is trying to capture the market before you get to those ports, where it is way less expensive for you to use wifi hot spots. Example on the Legend of the seas March 20th 2015. We had three port days in a row and low and behold there there was a 3 day special offered in the cruise compass for internet access. the days we were going to be at those ports.

Another example is in every port you will see one place where all of the crew from the ship is using the shore wifi hot spots. It is expensive for them on the ship to. So follow the crew to the best and least expensive wifi hot spots.

Yes I think it is unfair they are changing the Data plans on the ships for the low use passengers, but they are just taking advantage of the market demand that we must be in contact 24 hours a day right now and the cheaper alternative is just to use you data plan that you already pay for on your Phone service.

Edited by link99

Just got off the Adventure yesterday - Diamond status get 1 hour of internet loaded on your seapass card (1 hour per stateroom). You have to set up an account but once you do so go down to Guest Services and they will apply the Diamond discount ($29.95) to your account. Easy.

The one hour per stateroom is definitely new. On our last several cruises DH and I each got one hour. We are diamond.