Passports

SAC112750

Another crazy question??!! 1st time cruiser, for 2017. I do not have an enhanced driver's license so will need to get a passport for W. Caribbean.

Am I correct that the USPS (post office) still does passports? If not, where do I go? Can they be trusted to get them done correctly? How do I know it is correct before my trip, without getting a "surprise" once I get on board?

Also, any odd immunizations needed for W. Caribbean? I am going thru AAA when I book, will they give me all these details.

T. Y.

Another crazy question??!! 1st time cruiser, for 2017. I do not have an enhanced driver's license so will need to get a passport for W. Caribbean.

Am I correct that the USPS (post office) still does passports? If not, where do I go? Can they be trusted to get them done correctly? How do I know it is correct before my trip, without getting a "surprise" once I get on board?

Also, any odd immunizations needed for W. Caribbean? I am going thru AAA when I book, will they give me all these details.

T. Y.

If you're a US citizen, you don't need a passport, just your birth certificate + photo ID (like a driver's license). Do keep in mind that if for some emergency you had to catch a flight back into the US, you cannot do that without a passport (which is why many people get passports anyway).

Yes, you can get your passport application in a post office. They've been doing it for decades...yes, they'll do it correctly. Check with your post office, they may require an appointment. Best way to ensure that your passport is correct is to apply well ahead of time (normal turnaround time is 4-6 weeks, but it can vary on either side of that, depending on time of year and how busy the State Dept is).

Can't think of any specific immunizations needed for W. Caribbean...I certainly didn't get any.

'

If you have a PP there will be no boarding or onboard issues. It will be correct. No one "inspects" your PP after you board.

You are aware, I assume, that you can upgrade your license to 'Enhanced' status for somewhere in the $30-40. range.

Edited by thinfool

So if I get an enhanced driver's license I do not need a passport? Am I correct in understanding that?

I have an EDL and it may be used the same way as a passport card- at land and sea ports of entry in Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Since we are planning a trip to Germany later this year we went to the post office earlier this year and applied for our passports. Had them back in 9 days.

I know that Illinois, the state I reside in, doesn't have EDL and most likely won't have them any time soon. In fact, IL is on their last extension to become compliant with the EDL, which is set to expire in October of this year, this is the reason I too decided to get my passport. I figured getting the passport would open me up to watching for deals to go to London. Now I just have to get my husband to go take his picture so he can apply for his passport also.

I know that Illinois, the state I reside in, doesn't have EDL and most likely won't have them any time soon. In fact, IL is on their last extension to become compliant with the EDL, which is set to expire in October of this year, this is the reason I too decided to get my passport. I figured getting the passport would open me up to watching for deals to go to London. Now I just have to get my husband to go take his picture so he can apply for his passport also.

Good decision. We decided to get our first Passports back in 1982. No cruises or trips, just so we were good to go if something came up.

Something did come up. In mid-December 1983, a friend who worked for Finnair in LA told us about a deal for $799.00 pp for an all-inclusive 5 day trip from LA to Leningrad in January 1984 that would be available for booking for just 2 weeks.

Visiting Leningrad (and the USSR) was one unforgettable trip; one we'll never forget.

Turns out we also got the opportunity to visit China in August of 1984 as well, long before they developed a tourism infrastructure. Also a totally awesome experience and one that cannot be duplicated.

Both opportunities were ours because we had current Passports.

Why not fill out the application from the official US passport gov website, print it out, get a photograph at the post office or any place that does passport photos, bring the accompanying documents ( birth certificate, SS card, etc...) and just hand it to a post office that does passport applications? That what I did for my passport in NY....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Actually what they are likely on their last extension for is to issue licenses that are REAL ID compliant, which is not the same as an EDL.

Cruising in the Caribbean is possible without a Passport, but one is well advised to go on the State Department web site and read the rules for "closed loop cruises." Not having a Passport is a real problem in the event that one must leave the cruise due to emergency (or just missing the ship).

Hank

If you're a US citizen, you don't need a passport, just your birth certificate + photo ID (like a driver's license). Do keep in mind that if for some emergency you had to catch a flight back into the US, you cannot do that without a passport (which is why many people get passports anyway).

y.

Just remember - with a passport you can go anywhere. With a drivers's license, you only do a Caribbean closed loop cruise. Big difference.

DON

Just remember - with a passport you can go anywhere. With a drivers's license, you only do a Caribbean closed loop cruise. Big difference.

DON

If that is the only kind of travel that someone can do then it's the right documentation for them.

So if I get an enhanced driver's license I do not need a passport? Am I correct in understanding that?

Note that pretty much this entire thread is talking about GOVERNMENT regulations. Cruise lines have their own requirements as well, including most premium and luxury lines, which require a passport for ALL passengers on ALL itineraries.

Actually what they are likely on their last extension for is to issue licenses that are REAL ID compliant, which is not the same as an EDL.

Correct. But the end result is essentially the same. Illinois drivers' licenses, on their own, will pretty much be useless for travel. Heaven knows Illinois doesn't have the money to get compliant, and I'm certain that no planning was done in order to get compliant.

I just booked a cruise for my first time through AAA. Agent told me that my family needs to complete application for passports. I read that there are book passports - card passport - or the option to purchase both.

I tried calling my agent back to ask her but she was already gone for the day so I called the post office. They told me a book is only needed if flying from the US to another country or if driving from US to another county. Since we are in the US (Ohio) flying within the US (Florida) then cruising to the Bahamas and back to Florida that purchasing a passport card is all we need.

I don't foresee our family leaving the country very often. I'm hoping the cruise runs smoothly and perhaps we can take another cruise, but other than that, I don't see ourselves ever flying to another country.

So, what do we buy (book/card/both)? Do we take with us to the cruise what ever form of passport we order (book/card/both) with birth certificates too? I can understand ID (drivers license) but why so much ID?

Your passport is the only document you need to bring, but you will presumably be traveling with your DL too if you drove or will be driving home. You don't need both a card and a book, you could manage with just a card for your cruise but if you foresee any other travel in the next 10 years you might as well just get the book right off the bat. You will never need the card if you have the book but you might still need the book if you only get the card now. I know it's expensive, we are dual nationality so it's twice as much for us!

You can usually get your passport photos taken at the post office when doing your application, you also all need to go in person, a child's first passport requires both parents to be present at the application too.

I just booked a cruise for my first time through AAA. Agent told me that my family needs to complete application for passports. I read that there are book passports - card passport - or the option to purchase both.

I tried calling my agent back to ask her but she was already gone for the day so I called the post office. They told me a book is only needed if flying from the US to another country or if driving from US to another county. Since we are in the US (Ohio) flying within the US (Florida) then cruising to the Bahamas and back to Florida that purchasing a passport card is all we need.

I don't foresee our family leaving the country very often. I'm hoping the cruise runs smoothly and perhaps we can take another cruise, but other than that, I don't see ourselves ever flying to another country.

So, what do we buy (book/card/both)? Do we take with us to the cruise what ever form of passport we order (book/card/both) with birth certificates too? I can understand ID (drivers license) but why so much ID?

Your agent gave you bad advice.

If you're US citizens and this is a closed loop cruise (a cruise that starts and ends in the same US port) you don't need either the passport book or card. You can cruise using an official government agency issued US birth certificate (or naturalization certificate if you're a naturalized citizen) and official government ID such as a drivers license.

Note...there are some luxury cruise lines that require a passport even though government regulations dont...but if you're on one the mass market lines such as Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean and a number of others, they follow the government rules and don't require anything additional. Check your cruise line's requirements in the FAQs on their website.

By the way your post office was also wrong about needing a passport book to drive across the border to Canada or Mexico. You can't use a birth certificate for that, but a passport card is sufficient...you don't need the book for a land crossing.

So if you're comfortable with taking the small risk of having to leave your cruise early in the Bahamas to fly home in case of illness or other emergency and then having to apply and wait for a passport while you're in the Bahamas, there's no need to have a passport book (or even the passport card...which wouldn't allow you to fly home anyway).

Edited by njhorseman

Good decision. We decided to get our first Passports back in 1982. No cruises or trips, just so we were good to go if something came up.

Something did come up. In mid-December 1983, a friend who worked for Finnair in LA told us about a deal for $799.00 pp for an all-inclusive 5 day trip from LA to Leningrad in January 1984 that would be available for booking for just 2 weeks.

Visiting Leningrad (and the USSR) was one unforgettable trip; one we'll never forget.

Turns out we also got the opportunity to visit China in August of 1984 as well, long before they developed a tourism infrastructure. Also a totally awesome experience and one that cannot be duplicated.

Both opportunities were ours because we had current Passports.

I've had a passport since 1947 (well the first 2-3 were with me on a family passport), and I cannot imagine traveling any other way. I've been to and through parts of Canada several times since I moved to an EDL state and got one of those, but still carry my passport just in case...