Royal to raise gratuities

I *think*, and this is my reading of it, what ticks some people off is having put a deposit down based on current conditions, and they appreciate being charged to what they have agreed for. I think we all understand purchases of optional items, such as drinks or excursions, are completely optional.

The gratuity is technically optional, but it's automatically charged and some portion can't opt out, so people basically consider it as part of the overall cruise price, and people expect that overall cruise price to be the same as when they put a deposit down. The amount really is trivial. I don't understand people quibbling over the amount. Very few people ARE even quibbling over the amount. Some do take a position against the principle of the total price of their base vacation changing after they've made a deposit.

Anyhow, that's just my reading of why some people are upset; not the amount, not the fact it is still adjustable, just that they put down money in good faith and feel that the goal posts were moved on them, if only by a little bit.

But a tip is a tip is a tip and it's not mandatory, period end of the story. You can choose to NOT tip 1 red cent if you want (it's awful but your choice). The only folks that can't remove their tips are those with My Time Dinning. If you pre-paid your tips with your booking you can REMOVE them prior to final payment.

I just do get all the up roar over a fee that is your choice to pay. It's not like port taxes that we have not choice but to pay what is being charged.

Calm down folks and cruise on for goodness sake.

It still amazes me how some can spend hundreds of dollars and then quibble about a buck or two FOR SERVICE TO MAKE THEIR EXPERIENCE BETTER. If a person can't afford the price then maybe, just maybe, they should reconsider their decision to sail. Most of the workers really need the money for themselves and their families. Cheapskates....I'm surrounded by cheapskates.....:eek:

But a tip is a tip is a tip and it's not mandatory, period end of the story. You can choose to NOT tip 1 red cent if you want (it's awful but your choice). The only folks that can't remove their tips are those with My Time Dinning. If you pre-paid your tips with your booking you can REMOVE them prior to final payment.

I just do get all the up roar over a fee that is your choice to pay. It's not like port taxes that we have not choice but to pay what is being charged.

I'm just giving an explanation for what I have read here and why I think some people are upset about a nearly statistically insignificant amount.

... The bad part is that I've always liked to pay my gratuities with my OBC and now I can't do that.
Interesting point. I assume we can pay with the OBC, but we loose the 95 cent benefit/person/day compared to prepaying. For those who don't expect to fully use their OBC, they may be better off not prepaying.

The only other reason I can think of not to prepay gratuities is to maintain the option of reducing tips in the event of poor service, which fortunately doesn't seem to happen often.

Let's be honest. Of everyone who has weighed in that the increase is insignificant, etc., how many of you will prepay gratuities that don't have to (i.e. for MTD)? :)

The only folks that can't remove their tips are those with My Time Dinning.

I just do not get all the up roar over a fee that is your choice to pay. It's not like port taxes that we have not choice but to pay what is being charged.

Why is this again ? Or to reverse the question why can those who have set dining alter tips ?

(Sorry - I know this is off topic)

It still amazes me how some can spend hundreds of dollars and then quibble about a buck or two FOR SERVICE TO MAKE THEIR EXPERIENCE BETTER. If a person can't afford the price then maybe, just maybe, they should reconsider their decision to sail. Most of the workers really need the money for themselves and their families. Cheapskates....I'm surrounded by cheapskates.....:eek:

I have absolutely NO problem with the increase but how do we know the workers will get the extra? Bottom line is, we dont.

You are "not" required to pre-pay your gratuities (no way to do that)...you are only adding them to your booking ('s) before June 1st.

So you basically mean that I won't be charged next week, but will lock in at the $12 rate...which will get paid when I pay off the cruise?

It's not a huge increase but may as well save the $0.95 x 4 people x 7 days , but may as well lock in since the increase is known.

Edited by LuCruise

If people are already booked with MY Time, then gratuities are already on your booking. You don't have to do anything.

You just have to call and have the gratuity code added to your booking if you have traditional dining. You don't have to pay for them until final. If you do this by May 31st, you will get the lower rate.

At least they are giving warning!

I'm on MTD. I'll double check but don't remember an amount being quoted on my invoice.

That is exactly the thing that is annoying many people. Pay more for less service / product.

We have not noticed any diminution of service on our RCI cruises and we have been sailing with them since 1983. If anything, the product and the service have only improved. which is more than I can say about most of our dealings with the companies we do business with.

Well I was just told by my TA that we would have to pay the gratuities before June 1st. Not the final payment-just gratuities. I'm just going to pay the extra and do it when onboard. This is crazy. This should be for bookings MADE after June 1st to keep it simple.

We have not noticed any diminution of service on our RCI cruises and we have been sailing with them since 1983. If anything, the product and the service have only improved. which is more than I can say about most of our dealings with the companies we do business with.

I agree, we have always had great service and actually do not mind the increase a I feel they deserve it.

For those of you that have not sail Royal this year. They have also raised the gratuities on each drink purchased from ( 15% to 18%) Plus the drink packages also paid the 18%

We are both bartenders, would love to make 18% for each beer we service

Although I very rarely eat there anymore, but when I do, I have noticed bar service is slim to none in the MDR. Granted, I admit, I do not dine there often so it could just be the luck or un-luck of the draw for us.

the required gratuities are a joke to begin with. Ever since they came out service has gone down considerably. It used to be that I would overtip for great service and hold back for bad. Now its just all built in and I let it all slide.

Wow if this is the case I am glad I am making final the end of the month for our Oct 19th cruise. Final payment is actually July 29th.

Gay, just make sure that pre-paid gratuities are on your reservation and you don't actually have to pay them until the real final payment. Even if you make your final early it will not lock in your gratuities unless you have pre-paid on your reservation.

Clint, our TA already added them to our total cruise price, so when I make final the end of the month, the gratuities will be included. I would be making final anyway the end of the month, while the final pymt date is July 29th. This way I can take care of other things for our Oct 19th sailing.

Example: per passenger

Cruise X $

Gov't Fees X $

Insurance X $

Gratuities X $

Total

Gay

Clint, our TA already added them to our total cruise price, so when I make final the end of the month, the gratuities will be included. I would be making final anyway the end of the month, while the final pymt date is July 29th. This way I can take care of other things for our Oct 19th sailing.

Example: per passenger

Cruise X $

Gov't Fees X $

Insurance X $

Gratuities X $

Total

Gay

No problem. You are all set. We often pay off early also. I have my TA charge a certain amount each month so that I can keep up with all the cruises and not have big amounts hit the card on any one month.

I have checked my invoice and after the Booking Charges, there is a note in text saying

"A $12.00 per person per day gratuity will be automatically added to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom

Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance the cruise experience. Suite guests will see a $14.25 daily gratuity"

Does this mean that I have the locked in rate at $12? Or since it is not explicitly listed in the Booking Charges, that it would be raised?

Will give them a call either way to verify...

I have checked my invoice and after the Booking Charges, there is a note in text saying

"A $12.00 per person per day gratuity will be automatically added to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis to be shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom

Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance the cruise experience. Suite guests will see a $14.25 daily gratuity"

Does this mean that I have the locked in rate at $12? Or since it is not explicitly listed in the Booking Charges, that it would be raised?

Will give them a call either way to verify...

That sounds like you do not have prepaid gratuities, so you would be charged the higher price on board.

That sounds like you do not have prepaid gratuities, so you would be charged the higher price on board.

Correct, I have not pre paid them.

Guess I was questioning if I would still get the $12 rate since the number is stated on the invoice (but not as a explicit booking charge item).

Correct, I have not pre paid them.

Guess I was questioning if I would still get the $12 rate since the number is stated on the invoice (but not as a explicit booking charge item).

I doubt you would still get the $12 rate if the cruise is after June 1. There's probably some text somewhere about terms changing without notice.