Royal to raise gratuities

Don't want to have to go through all the pages of this thread, but has this been confirmed anywhere but the original Australian travel site that the OP mentioned?

A Royal Caribbean blog that is not allowed to be posted here confirmed and so has Cruise Critic I believe. I will try and find the Cruise Critic article.

Did anyone hear about the increase in gratuity? It will go up to $12.95 starting on June 1. Guess they are copying NCL. Hope they don't follow NCL on restricting people from bringing food to cabin...

Don't think 95 cents per day will break anyone who is cruising! Less than the price of a pak of gum. If NCL is doing it how will those you say they are leaving for NCL cope?

Don't want to have to go through all the pages of this thread, but has this been confirmed anywhere but the original Australian travel site that the OP mentioned?

This is from Vicki Freed to TAs. 3rd button from the left at the bottom of the page.

http://loyaltoyoualways.com/newsletter/

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

It still amazes me how some can spend hundreds of dollars and then quibble about a buck or two FOR SERVICE TO MAKE THEIR EXPERIENCE BETTER. If a person can't afford the price then maybe, just maybe, they should reconsider their decision to sail. Most of the workers really need the money for themselves and their families. Cheapskates....I'm surrounded by cheapskates.....:eek:

In total agreement with you!

I WANT to pay the increased tip and prepay it. I also want to pay a little more. Because I WANT my cabin attendant to pick up my socks and line up my shoes and make my bed. I WANT my waiter to bring me food that someone else had to cook. I also WANT him to look the other way when I order all 3 desserts.

I want all of these things done for me because I normally have to do them myself. I would feel guilty paying a room attendant or waiter less because for the 4 days I will be with them, they will essentially be like babysitters for me.

So, if RCCL says I need to pay .95 more or $95 more (okay maybe not this much, but you get the picture), I am either going to pay it or have a staycation at home and do it all myself.

I for one will not continue to be fleeced. I plan to remove the auto tips and tip those that serve me in cash. I don't think it's right that these company's use what they call gratuity for their own incentive programs and what they call behind the scene crew. If the crew member I tip wants to turn in the tips I give them it's their choice.

You've gotta love it when it all comes together! My TA had to call Royal to add gratuities to one of my South American cruises because it was locked to the first for some reason. While talking to C&A he was able to maneuver me into some new special that they had going (guess this cruise isn't selling that great). Anyway, I had to give up some discounts but got others. End result: gratuities are now included, the total cruise fare is now lower (even with the extra $336 of gratuities per cruise) and an extra $300 per cruise of OBC has been added. This is the third price drop on these since we booked a year ago. Maybe it will be free next drop:p.

I for one will not continue to be fleeced. I plan to remove the auto tips and tip those that serve me in cash. I don't think it's right that these company's use what they call gratuity for their own incentive programs and what they call behind the scene crew. If the crew member I tip wants to turn in the tips I give them it's their choice.

Maybe you could pass out some tips in this thread:rolleyes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=785229&highlight=cheapskate+cruising

These conflict. Is there a consensus on which is correct?

My post is correct in simple terms...sorry there is so much confusion with how RCI decides to explain their changes.

Just add either MTD or the option of pre-paid gratuities to any booking you have before June 1st deadline and you will be locked into the lower gratuity daily rate.

Hope this helps.:)

No one has to pre-pay your tips unless you're at final or past final. Just have them added to the booking before June 1st, and you will be locked in at the lower rate. Pay them at final, and you're done

Anyone with My Time dining already has gratuities on their booking, and they are payable at final.

No one has to pre-pay your tips unless you're at final or past final. Just have them added to the booking before June 1st, and you will be locked in at the lower rate. Pay them at final, and you're done

Anyone with My Time dining already has gratuities on their booking, and they are payable at final.

Yes exactly. This is what I did yesterday and I now see the gratuities charge added to the booking section at the lower rate, which we will pay at final payment time.

However, we are on MTD and the gratuities were not added until I called yesterday. This may be because we booked our cruise at the time they decided to postpone dynamic dining. Anyways, they are there now.

Edited by LuCruise

I just called my TA and added the gratuities for my April 2016 for my family of 4. Although I truly feel that yes employees do deserve a raise, I also feel that if I tip extra to those who deserve it, then I will do so at my discretion with cash while on board.

An extra .95 cents a day for a 10 day cruise for a family of 4 is an extra $38...I would much rather split that 38 to my room steward and waiters vs everyone else it could get divided to.

So, I don't know what to think....after my TA had added gratuities to my April 2016 booking, she called me back a while later to say that they needed to be paid for by June 1st.

Odd. I had my gratuities added yesterday also to my April 2016 cruise, but can pay anytime including when we pay off our cruise next January. I booked directly through RCL so maybe it's just how your TA works?

Why don't they just put everything in the cruise prices and stop charging for room service, staff tips and the sort.

Because that would raise their prices relative to those cruise lines that don't include those items in the published cruise price.

Edited by clarea

So, I don't know what to think....after my TA had added gratuities to my April 2016 booking, she called me back a while later to say that they needed to be paid for by June 1st.

I disagree

Does your TA give you a Royal Caribbean Booking Confirmation "Guest" Copy?

The new policy will take effect June 1 for sailings after July 1. The announcement says that gratuities can be prepaid prior to the effective date at the old rate. So I take it that they must be paid by June 1 even though the increase will be on sailings after July 1. I think the key will be the effective date.

Suite gratuities will increase from 14.25 per person per day to $15.95 per person per day.

Don't rush out and prepay gratuities. Do the math first.

my example

8 day cruise Jr Suite.

Pre June 1 gratuity 114.00

Post June 1 gratuity 127.60

We pay ours on board. 3 in cabin first 2 gratuity paid by TA.

daughters paid on board.

Will not pay 114 to save 14.80.

114 at 3%/year * 300 days until departure =114* .82 * .03 = 2.80

=17.60 - 2.80 = 14.80

$1 in the future is always worth less than a dollar today.

Don't let the increase scare you.

Why don't they just put everything in the cruise prices and stop charging for room service, staff tips and the sort.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

For one , the base price of your cruise is a commissionable

Gratuities are a non commissionable

It just simpler this way.

One nickel and nine dimes

Agreed! Can't believe that this increase will affect people's ability to cruise ( No, I am not wealthy and I have to pay solo rates!) If it is such a money issue should you be taking a vacation or should you be booking a cheaper room category??

I have cruised in both standard cabins and suites, but never really thought about the fact that suite attendants get more in tips.

So my question is, What does a suite attendant do over what a standard attendant does?

Other than a larger cabin to vacuum (maybe once or twice in a week) and a bit more tidying up in the bathroom, what else is it that they do over and beyond the standard attendant to earn a larger tip?

The beds are the same size to make each day.

They are not dong the service of a butler.

On all my cruises except maybe 1 or 2 the service has been the same. We always give more than suggested, only once have I not given more that the suggested amount. We've had a couple exceptional ones also, who always were given more.

I am not trying to cause a debate, I am just curious since I don't really see a difference.

...So my question is, What does a suite attendant do over what a standard attendant does? ...

There are probably other things done in the suite, but the first thing that comes to mind is the ability to have dinner from the MDR in the suite.

I have cruised in both standard cabins and suites, but never really thought about the fact that suite attendants get more in tips.

So my question is, What does a suite attendant do over what a standard attendant does?

Other than a larger cabin to vacuum (maybe once or twice in a week) and a bit more tidying up in the bathroom, what else is it that they do over and beyond the standard attendant to earn a larger tip?

The beds are the same size to make each day.

They are not dong the service of a butler.

On all my cruises except maybe 1 or 2 the service has been the same. We always give more than suggested, only once have I not given more that the suggested amount. We've had a couple exceptional ones also, who always were given more.

I am not trying to cause a debate, I am just curious since I don't really see a difference.

A few quick items I can think of.

1- Arrange the dry cleaning for the first formal night. Getting to and back from being pressed.

2- Change the inserts daily for in room dining from the MDR for breakfast, lunch, dinner.

3- Providing extra pool towels daily in the cabin, depending on the ship and it's policy.

I am sure there are others, I just can't think of them now.

Edited by A&L_Ont