Royal to raise gratuities

I do not have an issue with the tipping policy. We have always given more than what was recommended. Here's what I don't get. No matter what the recommended amount is, not matter how much RCCL automatically adds to your account you can STILL change it once on board and tip what ever you want…….period. Not sure what all the hubbub is about :cool:

I was just about to ask about this. I knew you could do this on Carnival but didn't know about RCCL. In that case, there really is nothing to see here. If the increase is too much then feel free to go and reduce the amount. I never would do that unless they raised them to some obscene amount, an extra dollar a day is no big deal, I just don't like how they give such short notice on these things when people book so far in advance.

Just spoke to the D+ desk and you only need to have added MTD or pre-paid gratuities to any booking you may have by June 1, 2015 to lock in the old gratuity rate.

Thanks for reporting back.:)

Correct. The increase goes into effect for sailings on or after July 1st, and can be avoided if you prepay gratuities by June 1st

Thank you. I live cruise critic since otherwise wouldn't have known about the increase and wouldn't have bothered pre paying until final payment next January.

Will be giving Royal a call this week or next and pay it off.

So to save a few $$'s I need to pre-pay (full balance regardless of final payment date) my cruise's I have booked by June 1, 2015 ?

Isn't this a bit of a short notice or did some of you know this already ? I've talked to the D+ desk several times in the last few weeks and no one mentioned this.

I was notified of the increase today by my TA. She asked me if I wanted to pay for the cruise + gratuities before June 1 or wait until the end of August and pay the higher gratuity rate.

We have a $30.60 increase in our suite gratuities on a 9 night. I will probably pay it since we're getting just about no interest on the money in the bank.

Just spoke to the D+ desk and you only need to have added MTD or pre-paid gratuities to any booking you may have by June 1, 2015 to lock in the old gratuity rate.

You were correct I meant add:D

Thanks for reporting back.

Thank you. I live cruise critic since otherwise wouldn't have known about the increase and wouldn't have bothered pre paying until final payment next January.

Will be giving Royal a call this week or next and pay it off.

You don't need to pay it off until final payment, you just need to make sure it is added to the invoice before June 1st

GASP.

95 cents a day more?

Do you think if I make my own bed and clean my own toilet, they'll let me pay the pre-July 1 rate?

Suites are getting hit harder - $1.70 per person per day increase. If the service improved that would be one thing...

You were correct I meant add:D

Thanks for reporting back.

You don't need to pay it off until final payment, you just need to make sure it is added to the invoice before June 1st

Interesting - that is not what they told my TA when she called to ask that question. Once again it depends on who you talk to.

... and can we prepay gratuities now to avoid the increase???

Sort of. Just talked to my TA. You need to add them to the booking now. There is no way to separately pay them now. If you add them they will be paid when you make final.

GASP.

95 cents a day more?

Do you think if I make my own bed and clean my own toilet, they'll let me pay the pre-July 1 rate?

Yeah, that's what went through my mind when my TA called a couple of hours ago. 95 cents, no big deal. Then I started to multiply it by 2 and then by all the cruises that I have booked. All of a sudden it was real money:eek: So when he called back to tell me that I just had to add it now and pay as finals came along I told him "add it to all of them". The bad part is that I've always liked to pay my gratuities with my OBC and now I can't do that.

There already is a fee for late night delivery, except for the suites.

That's for late night, how about if they extended the RS Fee to the rest of the day?

Edited by Philob

Does anyone remember when the last gratuity increase occurred? I am ok with the increase since I always give more anyway, but it does seem like a rather high increase this time. And . . . this increase seems to be coming rather quickly since the last increase. Am I remembering this correctly?

Again, I will pay the recommended gratuity amount and then some. Just asking some questions. Katherine

Does anyone remember when the last gratuity increase occurred? I am ok with the increase since I always give more anyway, but it does seem like a rather high increase this time. And . . . this increase seems to be coming rather quickly since the last increase. Am I remembering this correctly?

Again, I will pay the recommended gratuity amount and then some. Just asking some questions. Katherine

Last raise was March 2013.

One other question. If I call tomorrow and pre pay the gratuities (ie at current $12 rate before the increase), but then something happens before final payment and we need to cancel our cruise..then would we get our gratuities amount back?

P.S. - we are on MTD if that makes a difference

Edited by LuCruise

One other question. If I call tomorrow and pre pay the gratuities (ie at current $12 rate before the increase), but then something happens before final payment and we need to cancel our cruiy...then would we get our gratuities amount back?

P.S. - we are on MTD if that makes a difference

Yes.

Part of suite enhancements. :what:

Still waiting to see what the suite enhancements will be. Every year we sail in a GS or better and every year the perks dwindle on RCCL.

If they want to know how to "enhance" the suite experience they need to take a lesson from MSC and their Yacht Club. Many ex Celebrity cruisers have moved over to the MSC YC. We cruised the MSC Divina last month and the service was spectacular, all beverages included, private dining room, private pool and hot tubs, private lounge, private pool bar and grill, Butler service, and much less than we pay for a suite on RCCL. It was the most relaxing cruise we have had in years and the bill at the end was only for internet and gratuities, which are only $12.00 per day.

So I have a question that was somewhat answered above but not fully.

I have always prepaid my gratuities and half always left extra for my waiter and stateroom attendant. I notice that it does say, "recommended" gratuity. If I did not check this off, would I not be charged the gratuity at all or would they charge it once on board? Also I notice some people have said that you can change the amount and reduce it. Could I essentially reduce the amount to 0$ and save $80 on my cruise? It's not something I wish to do, however, I wonder if many people do this and if that may be the result of the increase.

Hoping someone could answer those questions for me!

So I have a question that was somewhat answered above but not fully.

I have always prepaid my gratuities and half always left extra for my waiter and stateroom attendant. I notice that it does say, "recommended" gratuity. If I did not check this off, would I not be charged the gratuity at all or would they charge it once on board? Also I notice some people have said that you can change the amount and reduce it. Could I essentially reduce the amount to 0$ and save $80 on my cruise? It's not something I wish to do, however, I wonder if many people do this and if that may be the result of the increase.

Hoping someone could answer those questions for me!

If you don't prepay your gratuities, Royal will automatically charge your onboard account the daily recommended amount. You can go to Guest Services and request they increase, reduce, or discontinue automatic gratuities.