Royal to raise gratuities

So, I don't know what to think....after my TA had added gratuities to my April 2016 booking, she called me back a while later to say that they needed to be paid for by June 1st.

What to think? I think you have a different TA. That's what I think. Their advise is going counter to what everyone else is saying. My Booking Confirmations now all show the gratuity.

I doubt the crew will see an increase in their share of gratuities.

With the announcement of ending deep discounts for many last minute cruises, I'm sure the extra $.95 a day is to offset the empty cabins expected.

There was an article recently (don't remember which one) where Vicki Freed balked at the idea that Royal Caribbean was nickel and dime-ing their passengers. Yet here is another example of being nickeled and dimed.

For the record, I've always prepaid gratuities (never done MTD) and always give an additional amount in cash to waitstaff and stateroom attendant.

If the crew doesn't see an increase in their share of gratuities, do you seriously believe that they won't let that fact be known and can you imagine the problems that the line would face if they ignored what they have written in defending the impending increase?

Edited by negc

Don't rush out and prepay gratuities. Do the math first.

my example

8 day cruise Jr Suite.

Pre June 1 gratuity 114.00

Post June 1 gratuity 127.60

We pay ours on board. 3 in cabin first 2 gratuity paid by TA.

daughters paid on board.

Will not pay 114 to save 14.80.

114 at 3%/year * 300 days until departure =114* .82 * .03 = 2.80

=17.60 - 2.80 = 14.80

$1 in the future is always worth less than a dollar today.

Don't let the increase scare you.

I am not paying 300 days in advance. Only adding to booking so the actual payment will not be due until final payment (90 days out). So, try your math again with 90 instead of 300 and tell me it's still not worth it. Maybe for you it isn't, but for me with multiple bookings it is. Just my South American cruise alone comes to 28 days X 2 people X $.95 = $53.20 and that's only one of my future cruises.

I have cruised in both standard cabins and suites, but never really thought about the fact that suite attendants get more in tips.

So my question is, What does a suite attendant do over what a standard attendant does?

Other than a larger cabin to vacuum (maybe once or twice in a week) and a bit more tidying up in the bathroom, what else is it that they do over and beyond the standard attendant to earn a larger tip?

The beds are the same size to make each day.

They are not dong the service of a butler.

On all my cruises except maybe 1 or 2 the service has been the same. We always give more than suggested, only once have I not given more that the suggested amount. We've had a couple exceptional ones also, who always were given more.

I am not trying to cause a debate, I am just curious since I don't really see a difference.

!. Larger Balcony to clean.

2. Bath tub to clean

3. Double sinks to clean

4. A half wall of mirrors in the bathroom

5. More furniture to care for

.......if the dollar stays strong you probably make up the $53.00 just in the exchange rate vs. the South American currency.

What I pay Royal is in US dollars and has nothing to do with where I'm sailing. The only difference in dollar strength vs South America is in what I spend while ashore, not on the ship.

What to think? I think you have a different TA. That's what I think. Their advise is going counter to what everyone else is saying. My Booking Confirmations now all show the gratuity.

Yes my new invoice she sent me had the gratuities on there at the $12 per person per day....

I don't know where she got her information from about having to pay them by June first....Im not going to though as I don't have the cash on hand to do so, and paying by credit card would defeat the purpose since I would then gain interest on that until I could pay that off....I am just going to pay my remaining balance on or a little before final payment date of 2-2-16.

My $0.02...

I haven't read all the comments on this thread, but my initial reaction is the increase isn't unreasonable. I almost always end up tipping extra where it's warranted.

I did find it interesting that the suite jump was quite substantial, and is more in line with cruise lines that offer MANY more perks to their suite guests. With this increase, Royal Caribbean's suite gratuities are 50 cents per day less than Celebrity, but $1.00 per day more than Norwegian, however both those lines offer butler service to their suite guests. Could the extra increase in suite tips be a hint at the changes coming to suites on RCI?

Just thinking out loud...:rolleyes:

!. Larger Balcony to clean.

2. Bath tub to clean

3. Double sinks to clean

4. A half wall of mirrors in the bathroom

5. More furniture to care for

Way more work in bigger suites, GS not so much other than what is mentioned above

So, I don't know what to think....after my TA had added gratuities to my April 2016 booking, she called me back a while later to say that they needed to be paid for by June 1st.

I would be concerned using a TA that doesn't double check the facts about anything before advising a client about what to do with regards to any policy booking changes. JMHO and why I prefer to not use a 3rd party. When this change was announced I easily called the D+ desk and got the correct answer's about this...and added what was necessary to lock my gratuity rate in at the older rate to all the bookings I have.

I am not paying 300 days in advance. Only adding to booking so the actual payment will not be due until final payment (90 days out). So, try your math again with 90 instead of 300 and tell me it's still not worth it. Maybe for you it isn't, but for me with multiple bookings it is. Just my South American cruise alone comes to 28 days X 2 people X $.95 = $53.20 and that's only one of my future cruises.

For you paying early may pay. Most only have one cruise and length is only around a week +/-. You did the math which is my main point, don't just rush out and pay if you are a ways out and only have a week or so cruise just because the price is going up a little. I would guess you are the exception and not the rule.

What I pay Royal is in US dollars and has nothing to do with where I'm sailing. The only difference in dollar strength vs South America is in what I spend while ashore, not on the ship.

......all my money comes "out of the same pot" in my world. Spend here,save there

Regardless of the opinions here I am happy to have the option to lock in my pricing now. The total increase for my bookings is 80 dollars. I will still choose to overcompensate for good service as I see fit . At least I control where it goes.

Thanks for the heads up.

Its my understanding that not all the tips go to the crew and according to cruiselaw web site it will add about 15 million to RCL's bottom line. As much as I like cruiseing as I have posted before on cruise critic We are through paying higher prices and getting less services. I guess 25 cruises is enough for one lifetime. Time to move on to other vacations.Less chance of getting sick from the norvo which has been shown from a Canadian research company to be by contact and airborne. Get that in the closed ventilation and it will spread like wild fire.

If everyone paid $11.05 ($12.00 old rate - $0.95 proposed increase) /day/person on their Seapass account it would get some attention from Royal. :eek:

You could always make up the difference (or more) to the waitstaff in cash. :D

Seriously though, the more I think about all of this the more I like the idea of paying cash tips. Let Royal track that without alienating their employees. I'm putting envelopes on my "to pack" list.

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

I just had mine added for June 2016 cruise and was assured by my TA who verified with supervisor at Royal , it does not have to be paid for until final payment. What is in my new invoice now will not go up.

Sorry if this has been said before, but isn't "Royal to raise gratuities" an oxymoron?

I understand McD's and Wallymart are raising wages. I'm expecting to pay for that through a higher price for the products I buy there. If RCL want to improve employee wages why can't they do the same? Oh well, another weird and wonderful cruise industry quirk. :(

Edited by DirtyDawg

Seriously though' date=' the more I think about all of this the more I like the idea of paying cash tips. Let Royal track that without alienating their employees. I'm putting envelopes on my "to pack" list.[/quote']

I've said this for a very long time and believe in the cash system. Let Royal and the staff work it out and by all means-let my stateroom attendant call me cheap!!! It could be our little secret!! :D;)

If everyone paid $11.05 ($12.00 old rate - $0.95 proposed increase) /day/person on their Seapass account it would get some attention from Royal. :eek:

You could always make up the difference (or more) to the waitstaff in cash. :D

Seriously though' date=' the more I think about all of this the more I like the idea of paying cash tips. Let Royal track that without alienating their employees. I'm putting envelopes on my "to pack" list.[/quote']

...I don't even use an envelope....why bother?......just palm them the cash....who will know?

Lets see , $12 to 12.95 = 8% or about a $25 increase for a weeks cruise for the 4 of us .

It's not much but it's not nothing . That's the end of my comment otherwise this could turn into .....

I dunno, seems like almost nothing to me. 95 cents more per day X 7 X 2 = 13.30 more for a cabin with 2 pax. It's a pool side drink.

I don't think people are complaining about the money. Most people admit that it is a small amount. However, there are times when the amount can be a factor. A family of 4 on a 10 night cruise sees a roughly $40 increase in a regular room. $40 will not make or break most people's vacations but we should not overlook the fact that people budget for their vacations and some people budget very tightly. There is nothing wrong with that and there is nothing wrong with people voicing there dislike of having to rework their budget. It does not mean they are too poor to go on vacation as someone else so politely suggested. :rolleyes:

The other issue is that people do not like the price of their cruise changing after the fact and sometimes well after booking but right before cruising. That does feel like someone did a bait and switch on you and no one likes that. If I go to the store and pick up a snack for $1.50 and get to the counter and they tell me it is $1.75 I am not going to just pay it and not question it. I doubt any of you would either.

With something like gratuities, RCCL should really implement this change for NEW BOOKINGS only. That would be the best way to go about this.

People deserve the right to complain and vent without being told they should just shut up and cancel their reservation because they obviously can't afford it.

I agree with you.:)...where's the like button.