Royal to raise gratuities

Ok--I did find out some definitive tipping info on last cruise from our wait staff. Automatically charged tips on SeaPass accounts are definitely pooled, AND the cruise lines does take a percentage of it as a sort of "handling charge." However, CASH tips do not have to be reported and are kept 100%. However, the downside of removing the auto gratuity is that it affects everyone in the pool, and that you would be stiffing other crew members who do serve you, though indirectly. I wish the cruise lines would simply go back to the cash system, but I can see the dishonesty by passengers and crew members both IF the pool system was kept in place.

I completely understand the theory. As a Diamond Royal cruiser, we have been on enough to have an opinion. Yes, you may call me cheap. I want to book a cruise and pay a rate. I do not want to be forced to now include extra fees because the cruise line is trying to hide costs.

Pay the employee, charge the cruiser. I will admit, I am in line to discontinue the tips. I carry cash on board and tip the employees that I feel go above and beyond the basic service.

I am not a fan of tipping for simply doing your job. The theory of gratuity is based on being thankful for stellar service. I know the story behind many making a living off tips. I don't get tips, I work hard for my living. I don't expect them either. I know I may be in the minority, I am just tired of being nickle and dimed by the line. Our cruise days are rapidly coming to an end. We are booked for what may be our last in March. I'm sad, we have been on a lot of cruises but I don't see the value any more.

Jason

Not sure if anyone has posted this article yet, if so sorry for the double post.

Loyal to Royal? Expect to Pay Higher Gratuities! (And the Money's Not for the Crew)

The author is known to troll Cruise Critic for his information and cites no sources at all. I don't know how anyone can consider him credible since he's a self proclaimed expert and cruise ship accident chasing attorney.

I'm sorry, but that article has no facts to backup the authors claims. Anyone ever heard about RCL's employee welfare fund or when the company helps out an emplyee in need to an extreme family emergency? How many staff have we talked to that make very little for many hours of hard work all for their families at home?

Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion but don't judge everything you read or hear without the facts. Everyone is still free to adjust the amount of daily gratuities onboard. ..and pay a little extra cash to the staff who provide direct service to you. What really used to infuriate me is how many people didnt tip at all. In some cases (or most) RCL ended up having to subsidize this to the staff

If someone wants to stop cruising over this minor issue, so be it. Everything, including the amount a d how you tip is still optional.

Whilst I understand why a lot of people feel it should just be for new bookings, there is potentially an issue with this.

With being able to book all the way over the next couple of years, and the abilility to not have gratuities added, if someone sailed december 2016 for example, had already made booking prior to June 1st 2015 and had not prepaid gratuities, then boarded and demanded to pay gratuities at today's rate then it creates a lot more work for guest services to verify booking date, override gratuity system and alter all the gratuities being added onboard. If several hundred guests on a particular sailing did this then you could imagine the extra workload at guest services.

Not saying it would happen, but by only make the change applicable to new bookings it could happen.

Edited by Spurschick

We have our next cruise in 80 days...clearly after June 1st....we have MTD so pre paid gratuities...also staying in a GS....

I made our final payment last week...so paid in full.....

I guess I just wait to see if they tack on another charge? We'll see what actually happens.

Something similar to this happened to us years ago, balance was $0.... But at check in at the pier, we had to pay an additional $45.....

But it was something a little different than this. I believe it was a increase in taxes or perhaps port fees for one of the stops. Or was it increase in oil....I can't remember but the point is we were billed additionally at check in much to our surprise.

Edited by B-52

if someone sailed december 2016 for example, had already made booking prior to June 1st 2015 and had not prepaid gratuities, then boarded and demanded to pay gratuities at today's rate then it creates a lot more work for guest services to verify booking date, override gratuity system and alter all the gratuities being added onboard.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. If someone is so inclined to pay the current rate when they booked versus the new rate when they sail all they have to do is stop by guest services and indicate the amount they want the rate adjusted to. I don't see why guest services needs to verify anything or why a guest needs to be demanding; simply asking will accomplish the same thing. Yes, if many do it there will be more volume of work for guest services.

stick your head in the sand and maybe its not true.

Or take what's written on an open anonymous blog with the right amount of skepticism and not get your undies in a knot for nothing. Your choice. :D

The author is known to troll Cruise Critic for his information and cites no sources at all. I don't know how anyone can consider him credible since he's a self proclaimed expert and cruise ship accident chasing attorney.

Doesn't matter. He's taking on the big, bad, greedy corporation, so whatever he says must be true. Lionel Hutz wouldn't lie.

On the other hand, Royal Caribbean publishes how the money gets distributed, and it's on a page with a picture of a cute, blonde depiction of a customer service agent with a big smile. Surely she wouldn't lie either.... What to believe?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=5523&faqSubjectId=415

Edited by Paul65

I completely understand the theory. As a Diamond Royal cruiser, we have been on enough to have an opinion. Yes, you may call me cheap. I want to book a cruise and pay a rate. I do not want to be forced to now include extra fees because the cruise line is trying to hide costs.

EDIT: nevermind, CruiseCritic's edit post feature is acting up.

Edited by RiotAct

You know I don't think I ever received an official email from Royal just seen the announcement in the trades, I did have ever get the following from Celebrity Cruises for my 2017 cruise , just now with the email Subject

"Save and enjoy the convenience of prepaying the gratuities for your upcoming cruise":

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon for your upcoming Celebrity cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily gratuities. As of June 1, 2015 for all sail dates beginning on or after July 1, 2015, Celebrity Cruises will be adjusting the automatic daily gratuity per day, per guest as follows:

• Standard staterooms - $12.00 to $12.95

• Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms - $12.50 to $13.45

• Suite Class -- $15.50 to $16.45

This gratuity is shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience.

Prepay your gratuities now to lock in the current rate before it adjusts on June 1. After this date, any prepaid gratuities applied to your reservation will be at the new rates.

Please note that if you have already prepaid your gratuities or have received them through a sales promotion that you will not incur any additional automatic daily gratuity charges once onboard.

Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same: an 18% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages; specialty dining reservations and mini bar items, and will be itemized on your receipt.

Call 1-800-647-2251, log onto CelebrityCruises.com or contact your travel agent by

May 31, 2015, to prepay the daily service charge at the current rate.

Thank you for choosing to cruise with us.

Edited by TheMiz

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. If someone is so inclined to pay the current rate when they booked versus the new rate when they sail all they have to do is stop by guest services and indicate the amount they want the rate adjusted to. I don't see why guest services needs to verify anything or why a guest needs to be demanding; simply asking will accomplish the same thing. Yes, if many do it there will be more volume of work for guest services.

I was actually trying to make a point as to why it may not be easy for them to discern between new bookings and old booking after a certain date. Not trying to make mountains or molehills. Just thinking of logistics:D

I was actually trying to make a point as to why it may not be easy for them to discern between new bookings and old booking after a certain date. Not trying to make mountains or molehills. Just thinking of logistics:D

You are right. Those steps would take more work and time.

But they aren't necessary steps to take at all. Guest services will do whatever a guest requests. Booking date won't matter.

You know I don't think I ever received an official email from Royal just seen the announcement in the trades, I did have ever get the following from Celebrity Cruises for my 2017 cruise , just now with the email Subject

"Save and enjoy the convenience of prepaying the gratuities for your upcoming cruise":

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon for your upcoming Celebrity cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily gratuities. As of June 1, 2015 for all sail dates beginning on or after July 1, 2015, Celebrity Cruises will be adjusting the automatic daily gratuity per day, per guest as follows:

• Standard staterooms - $12.00 to $12.95

• Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms - $12.50 to $13.45

• Suite Class -- $15.50 to $16.45

This gratuity is shared by your Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants, Other Housekeeping Services Personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience.

Prepay your gratuities now to lock in the current rate before it adjusts on June 1. After this date, any prepaid gratuities applied to your reservation will be at the new rates.

Please note that if you have already prepaid your gratuities or have received them through a sales promotion that you will not incur any additional automatic daily gratuity charges once onboard.

Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same: an 18% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages; specialty dining reservations and mini bar items, and will be itemized on your receipt.

Call 1-800-647-2251, log onto CelebrityCruises.com or contact your travel agent by

May 31, 2015, to prepay the daily service charge at the current rate.

I just got basically the same email from Royal.

Dear Friend,

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon for your upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise vacation!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily service charges. As of June 1, 2015, Royal Caribbean will be adjusting the automatic daily service charge from $12.00 to $12.95 per day for regular staterooms and $14.25 to $15.95 per day for suite. This service charge is shared by dining & culinary services personnel, stateroom attendants and other housekeeping and guest services personnel.

We want to extend the opportunity to prepay your service charge now at the current rate, before it adjusts on June 1. After this date, any service charge applied will be at the new rate.

Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same: an 18% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages, specialty dining reservations, spa services and mini bar items, and will be itemized on your receipt.

Call 1-866-504-3941, log onto RoyalCaribbean.com or contact your travel agent by May 31, 2015, to prepay the daily service charge at the current rate.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International®

BonVoyage

Dawna

Received mine today for Oct. 19th Med cruise and another will be coming for Oct. 30th Transatlantic. I don't usually prepay but might, 25 days, I could. I haven't decided yet. I don't look at it as a big deal, I always give extra besides their added amount.

So to save a few $$'s I need to pre-pay (full balance regardless of final payment date) my cruise's I have booked by June 1, 2015 ?

Correct.

Isn't this a bit of a short notice or did some of you know this already ? I've talked to the D+ desk several times in the last few weeks and no one mentioned this.

I was notified via my TA this morning and also received an email from RCL today.

Yes my new invoice she sent me had the gratuities on there at the $12 per person per day....

I don't know where she got her information from about having to pay them by June first....Im not going to though as I don't have the cash on hand to do so, and paying by credit card would defeat the purpose since I would then gain interest on that until I could pay that off....I am just going to pay my remaining balance on or a little before final payment date of 2-2-16.

I've received an email from RCI stating that you can save the difference by paying by 1 June.

Seriously folks, 95 cents a day pp is not worth all this discussion. Skip a couple of starbucks coffees and you 've got it covered.

We received our email today. I feel the price increase should be for future bookings. I am staring at my RCI paperwork for three future cruises that states $12 per person per day will be added...

It's not the small amount of money that bothers me as much as RCI being tricky. Hotels and airlines can't/don't change things after you have a reservation.

[quote name=Paul65;46559854

On the other hand' date=' Royal Caribbean publishes how the money gets distributed, and it's on a page with a picture of a cute, blonde depiction of a customer service agent with a big smile. Surely she wouldn't lie either.... What to believe?

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=5523&faqSubjectId=415[/quote]

*Thanks for providing the link of how the gratuities are distributed.

The automatic gratuity is $12.95 USD, or $15.95 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. Here's how it is shared between your onboard service team:

• Dining & Culinary Services: $7.75 USD
  • Stateroom Attendant: $3.85 USD OR Suite Attendant: $6.10 USD
  • Other Housekeeping Services: $1.35 USD OR Housekeeping and Suite Services: $2.10 USD

Prior to mid-2011, the breakdown of the suggested gratuities was:

$3.50 Stateroom Attendant, $3.50 Dining Room Waiter, $2.00 Assistant Waiter, $.75 Head Waiter. Total was $9.75 a day.

From mid-2011 until $12 auto-gratuities in March 2013, the suggested gratuities increased to: $5 Stateroom Attendant, $3.75 Dining Room Waiter, $2.15 Assistant Waiter, $.75 Head Waiter. Total was $11.65. * *

Edited by TM38Rob

Before mid-2011, MDR staff received $6.25 and Stateroom Attendant $3.50.

After mid-2011, MDR staff received $6.65 and Stateroom Attendant $5.00.

Now Stateroom Attendant only gets $3.85 with new increase? Not sure if they had to tip out to "other Housekeeping Services" in the past, but combine that $1.35 with $3.85 is $5.20.

Only a $.20 raise in the Hotel Dept. and a $1.10 raise in the Restaurant Dept. Head Waiters didn't see an increase back in mid-2011. Haven't seen a Head Waiter since auto-gratuities.

Anyway, planned to pre-pay my gratuities before this increase, and added them as planned. Still plan to tip extra in cash for excellent service.

I just think the increase from $12 a day to $12.95 is just a little bit sneaky. Keep it just within the $12 range and hope people won't notice. Not cool. Why not just make it $13 since they rounded $11.65 up to $12 when they combined everything into one auto-gratuity charge?

Edited by TM38Rob