No to tent city

Down-Unders

Ha ha. I love your spirit.

I have also peeked into the Neptune Lounge to see what the fuss is all about. What a disappointment. Seriously' date=' why would I want to sit in a small windowless (no ocean view) lounge? The Explorations Cafe is better by all accounts. Apparently others agree as there is typically nobody in the Neptune Lounge.

igraf

Maybe the Neptune 'Lounge' is misnamed if it is being mistaken by non-Neptune suite pax as a place one would spend a lengthy time. The purpose is to have access to the concierge for any help you might need with anything or everything on your cruise and/or to pick up snacks and refreshments all throughout the day. Most people take those back to their verandah though there is seating, reading materials and a tv if you would rather enjoy snacks there. You are misinterpreting the purpose and use of the Neptune Lounge.[/quote']

I've met many wonderful people in the NL. It's a great quiet place to sit and talk. Also the Concierges can do basically anything the Front Office can do without the lines.

They are great with hard to get dining times, shore excursions, and spa treatments.

Concierge on Oosterdam went all the way down to the crew tailor shop and got me a bow tie for my tux when mine had broken. I was in an absolute panic as I was getting married in 30 minutes and had no tie. She brought it to our stateroom and helped me get it fastened.

I like to check my account every day- once I let them know this it is brought to my stateroom each day. If we aren't in they put it on the desk.

They are the greatest and always a smile.

Wow! I just joined the Cruise Critic forum because my husband and I are taking a cruise in October to celebrate our 25th anniversary. As a splurge, I went ahead and rented a cabana for our cruise. We are definitely not seasoned cruisers, only had the pleasure of going on a NCL cruise maybe 7 years ago. I loved the cruise but what I did not love was the lounge chairs being snapped up first thing in the morning so that none were available to us when we wanted to use them. It was aggravating. Our cabin is right below the cabanas and it will be so convenient to us. I had no idea that people thought those using the cabanas considered themselves superior.

We've been married 25 years and have never taken a trip like this together. My husband works hard and has a hard time getting away (self employed contractor). Trust me when I say that as our trip planner, anything I can do that will make this trip special for us, I am going to do! So please, fellow cruisers, don't read too much into the cabanas, or who rents them. I'd venture to say that most are very nice people, just like yourselves.

We've been married 25 years and have never taken a trip like this together. My husband works hard and has a hard time getting away (self employed contractor). Trust me when I say that as our trip planner, anything I can do that will make this trip special for us, I am going to do! So please, fellow cruisers, don't read too much into the cabanas, or who rents them. I'd venture to say that most are very nice people, just like yourselves.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Enjoy that cruise and your cabana. :)

We really enjoyed the retreat cabanas on the Nieuw Amsterdam. While it's not everyone's cup of tea, and not everyone wants to drop an extra five hundred dollars for two weeks in a cabana, we thought it was worthwhile to have the extra space, personalized service, and privacy.

We had a balcony, but DW and DPJ absolutely loved the cabana. At the time, I thought we were getting a nice, out of the way respite. Never in my wildest dreams did I realize that we were angering a bunch of cantankerous sourpusses, who felt entitled to lay claim to all open spaces on every deck of the ship. Now that I know that, it's really boosted the intrinsic value of the cabanas in my mind.

Tent city? Pshaw! It's an Oasis of Awesome! Now with fresh salt air breezes, wide open (yet private) spaces - and the sweet, sweet smell of resentment. :D

Too funny, POA! I never realized we would be angering lots of fellow cruisers by taking advantage of an additional amenity that was there for all pax who chose to rent them, either. We will take advantage of them on any cruise during hot weather. I'll just have to remember to be smug about getting one each time! Now to book the one on the Zuiderdam for August.....

Thanks, Boytjie! I actually got a little sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I read this thread. Never in a million years did I think people would think ill of us for renting a cabana. Hadn't even crossed my mind. Oh well, moving on... ;)

Dixiefinn, we paid $499.00 for two weeks. And, yes, I did the math: $35.64 per day. In my mind, it didn't seem unreasonable.

Wow! I just joined the Cruise Critic forum because my husband and I are taking a cruise in October to celebrate our 25th anniversary. As a splurge, I went ahead and rented a cabana for our cruise. We are definitely not seasoned cruisers, only had the pleasure of going on a NCL cruise maybe 7 years ago. I loved the cruise but what I did not love was the lounge chairs being snapped up first thing in the morning so that none were available to us when we wanted to use them. It was aggravating. Our cabin is right below the cabanas and it will be so convenient to us. I had no idea that people thought those using the cabanas considered themselves superior.

Enjoy your cruise and that Cabana!

Too bad that the other passengers can't enjoy that quiet area on deck.

igraf

Yes they can. They can reserve a Retreat Cabana just like everyone else. Or, if they' prefer not pay for it, they can go to the deck area above it, which also has lounge chairs (weather permitting). That deck is above the Crow's Nest/Explorations Café and has great views, forward and aft.

I completely understand your perspective. It can be irritating when public areas of a ship appear to be off-limits except to just a few. I felt the same way while on the Amsterdam a few years ago in Alaska. The ship had 600 children onboard, and the Lido pool area was completely unusable to many passengers because of the crowded pool, yelling, running and expected commotion that comes with having that many kids on a ship that size. It had become a playground, nothing more. The tables were used by families having lunch, or as a staging area, since the lounge chairs were all taken. And because the weather was cool, the Lido roof was closed, and when you walked from the Lido buffet into that pool area, it was warm, humid, stuffy, loud and crowded. Very unpleasant.

For the most part, that made the Lido pool area off limits for the entire cruise, and as you say, "Too bad that the other passengers can't enjoy that quiet area on deck."

Edited by Boatdrill

I just reserved two of the two-person cabanas on the the Nieuw Amsterdam for the kids for a 7-day Western Caribbean. $598 total for the two for the week. The Family Retreat Cabanas were already taken.

Dennis

"We felt we were on a two class ship, please put these Cabanas where they belong on your private island. "

Right on, the people that use these atrocious tents belong on a campground or in a RV park..

I guess I am missing the boat, but I don't see what the big deal is.

I don't like the cabanas on the Lido deck (I do think they make the Lido too crowded) and therefore, I just make sure they are not on a ship I am going to book.

If the cabanas bother people, all they have to do is book on one of the ships that doesn't have a cabana.

We don't rent them ourselves (at least not yet) but why give people who do a hard time? HAL put them there, so whether they are rented or not they will be there.

It's pretty easy to check deck plans and see what the cabana situation is on any ship and if it's something that bothers you, just don't book that particular ship. They aren't on every HAL ship and there are lots of choices without cabanas :)

Congratulations on your anniversary! Don't worry about this thread - seriously. You'll love the cabana. Be sure to engage your cabana stewards. Get to know them, and let them know your expectations. My prediction is that you will have a wonderful time.

I think you made a great decision by renting a cabana. You will love it and be totally hooked.

Yes, you are right, Noordam is one of the Vista class ships and there are no Lido Cabanas on this ship. They only have the Retreat Cabanas.

Thanks for setting me straight. I was not seeing the distinction.

Because it makes money and enough people are willing to pay for it.

And it has nothing to do with superiority, just as the suite life is not uppity. OK for some it is :D

I am not talking about superiority, the issue for me is I pay my hard earned money to cruise on the Noordam and want to use all public areas as we have done in the past, I understand I cannot use the Neptune Lounge as we like a Balcony. I am now confronted with no go areas which to me is clearly the start of a two class system like the old days.

I am now confronted with no go areas which to me is clearly the start of a two class system like the old days.

No, it clearly isn't a two class system. Anybody, any cabin level, can rent a cabana. In fact I have heard people who don't have a balcony obtaining a cabana to replace the lack of a balcony.

Hasn't been that long since deck chairs had to be rented. It ended around the early 80's I believe.

My first cruise on Sitmar's Fairwind in 1974 you had to rent (or reserve) your deck chair. Future cruises that i took (from 1975 on) you didn't.

Just sayin': It sure seems like a long time ago to me......:p

animated_old_man_feeding_birds.gif

Although I always thought myself an egalitarian, I must confess that we have rented a Lido cabana on each of our cruises -- and will likely continue to do so as long as they are available. In fact, that availability is a strong inducement for HAL and the larger ships, and is a virtual requirement on the part of my spouse if she is to enjoy the trip. We are on vacation, and for that one week enjoy being coddled a bit. We do not like jockeying for pool chairs, chasing the shade so as to avoid direct sunlight, or lining up for lunch or drinks. The cabana has a large chaise lounge, a table with chairs, an attendant who supplies food and drink, and ready access to the pool. We have never perceived a traffic jam as folks walked past ours (although we have had some nice conversations with passers-by and those in neighboring cabanas), perhaps because the other side of the ship is cabana-free. Anyone with the willingness to spend the money may rent one, just as those who wish may rent Pinnacle or Neptune suites, enjoy meals at Pinnacle or Tamarind, take higher-priced excursions, or order more expensive wine. We have on many occasions entered a favorite - and public -- bar, only to find that it has been reserved for a "private" function. In no instance have we felt excluded or inferior by that experience.

Does anyone have a picture of the Lido cabanas? Just curious ... we were recently on the Zuiderdam, and I don't recall any on the Lido. We like to wander about the ship and never saw anyone in the other ones.

We have never perceived a traffic jam as folks walked past ours (although we have had some nice conversations with passers-by and those in neighboring cabanas), perhaps because the other side of the ship is cabana-free.

On my last Eurodam cruise, the doors to the Lido were acting up and the entrance to the Lido on the side of the whip without the Cabanas were not working for a good bit of the cruise. This put nearly ALL the Lido traffic on the side with Cabanas. It was crowded, tight, and sometimes very slow going.

I have no problem with the Retreat Cabanas, but I do not like the Lido ones. Had there been tables in that area, the tables could have been easily moved to make more room for passengers to walk. The Cabanas, which were not even occupied!, were not removed to help alleviate congestion. I'm sorry, it's poor planning and poor use of public space, particularly when things are not running as smoothly as intended.

Does anyone have a picture of the Lido cabanas? Just curious ... we were recently on the Zuiderdam, and I don't recall any on the Lido. We like to wander about the ship and never saw anyone in the other ones.

There aren't any Lido cabanas on the Zuiderdam. Hence, no photos.

Here you go Ma'am;

IMG_8698.jpg

Eurodam Lido Cabana

IMG_8699.jpg

Comes complete with two bathrobes :eek:

IMG_8697.jpg

Eurodam Retreat Cabanas (background)