Starboard View....St. Maarten

Snit13

We are booked on March 24, 2017 Celebrity Equinox 10 night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise. Celebrity has seen fit to change the itinerary of this cruise as many of you know. We lost our port call in Dominica and now have overnight in St. Maarten. Unfortunately we booked cabin 1605 AQUA which is one of our favorite cabins. When docked in St. Maarten we have a lovely view of container ships and a delapidated dock from our balcony. Can anyone tell me the view from Starboard side of ship? I am trying to decide if we should attempt to switch from Port to Starboard or just cancel this cruise. I booked it in February 2015 because of the port call in Dominica as we have never been there. We have been to all other ports on this itinerary and were excited to visit a new port.

There is really no way to know in advance how the ship will be docked.

Sometimes bow to shore, sometimes stern to shore.

If something like what you will see from your balcony while docked overnight at St.Maarten is going to make or break your cruise, I'd cancel because no matter what happens you'll be going into it with a negative perspective.

There is really no way to know in advance how the ship will be docked.

Sometimes bow to shore, sometimes stern to shore.

If something like what you will see from your balcony while docked overnight at St.Maarten is going to make or break your cruise, I'd cancel because no matter what happens you'll be going into it with a negative perspective.

We know what the view has been on many of our St. Maarten port visits. Always the same if cabin is on port side of ship.....container ships, oil tanks, run down docks.

We are still discussing the situation and have until Jan of 2017 to make final decision. In the meantime I am going to search RCCL to see what ports they offer on their Caribbean sailings. How many times does one have to visit St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, Nassau not to mention the ports on Western itinerary. I want to visit some new ports before I am to old to cruise.

We are booked on March 24, 2017 Celebrity Equinox 10 night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise. Celebrity has seen fit to change the itinerary of this cruise as many of you know. We lost our port call in Dominica and now have overnight in St. Maarten. Unfortunately we booked cabin 1605 AQUA which is one of our favorite cabins. When docked in St. Maarten we have a lovely view of container ships and a delapidated dock from our balcony. Can anyone tell me the view from Starboard side of ship? I am trying to decide if we should attempt to switch from Port to Starboard or just cancel this cruise. I booked it in February 2015 because of the port call in Dominica as we have never been there. We have been to all other ports on this itinerary and were excited to visit a new port.

On one of our cruises, we stayed in the same port area and there was a big Norwegian cruise ship to look at. On the other side, there was a RCCL ship. We have been there several times and the docking area tends to fluctuate. Get off the ship and enjoy St. Maarten.

We know what the view has been on many of our St. Maarten port visits. Always the same if cabin is on port side of ship.....container ships, oil tanks, run down docks.

We are still discussing the situation and have until Jan of 2017 to make final decision. In the meantime I am going to search RCCL to see what ports they offer on their Caribbean sailings. How many times does one have to visit St. Thomas, St. Maarten, San Juan, Nassau not to mention the ports on Western itinerary. I want to visit some new ports before I am to old to cruise.

If you are on the Right side of the dock, then 50% chance you look at the containers, 50% that you look at the port or starboard side of another cruise ship.

If you are on the Left side of the dock, then 50% chance that you look at the port or starboard side of another cruise ship, 50% chance you look at the harbor. But I would guess that the Left side of the dock is for larger ships so overall I would estimate that 10% of the time you will have a view, 90% of the time you will see other cruise ships or container ships or their droppings. Of course if you go topside, deck 11 or 12, you have a choice of which side to look from and a chance of looking past the intervening ship(s) to see the harbor.

There are ways to leave the ship and go to the nearby beach which provides a nice view of the ships, pelicans on the pilings, sailboats moored, etc. And there is a town there to explore, go shopping, eat, drink, be merry... But if sitting on your balcony and admiring the view is your thing, then Ste. Marteen is probably not the place for you

Cancel the cruise. Don't switch sides, find another lower quality line that can get you 8 hours in Dominica.

It is not worth the hassle of a horrid 9 additional days on a terrible ship, with 2500 other pax who don't want to see a container dock. You have made up your mind, why ask us?

Edited by wallie5446

If you are on the Right side of the dock, then 50% chance you look at the containers, 50% that you look at the port or starboard side of another cruise ship.

If you are on the Left side of the dock, then 50% chance that you look at the port or starboard side of another cruise ship, 50% chance you look at the harbor. But I would guess that the Left side of the dock is for larger ships so overall I would estimate that 10% of the time you will have a view, 90% of the time you will see other cruise ships or container ships or their droppings. Of course if you go topside, deck 11 or 12, you have a choice of which side to look from and a chance of looking past the intervening ship(s) to see the harbor.

There are ways to leave the ship and go to the nearby beach which provides a nice view of the ships, pelicans on the pilings, sailboats moored, etc. And there is a town there to explore, go shopping, eat, drink, be merry... But if sitting on your balcony and admiring the view is your thing, then Ste. Marteen is probably not the place for you

We have done the tour of island, bought more jewelry than we need in St. Maarten. Been there almost as many times as Cozumel. Tired of same old ports looking for new experience/ports. Found a cruise on RCCL last night which goes to Dominica (the port we lost to overnight) and have it on 24 hr hold. May cancel and switch cruises but will wait to decide until my RCCL vacation planner returns my call or answers my email to her. I would lose my 1 2 3 but get Dominica back. We are Celebrity Elite+ and Royal Diamond so we do get a few perks if we switch. Time will tell.

We have done the tour of island, bought more jewelry than we need in St. Maarten. Been there almost as many times as Cozumel. Tired of same old ports looking for new experience/ports. Found a cruise on RCCL last night which goes to Dominica (the port we lost to overnight) and have it on 24 hr hold. May cancel and switch cruises but will wait to decide until my RCCL vacation planner returns my call or answers my email to her. I would lose my 1 2 3 but get Dominica back. We are Celebrity Elite+ and Royal Diamond so we do get a few perks if we switch. Time will tell.

I think you should switch cruises if you think the view at one port and the elimination of dominica will cause you that much grief...why go through the next (almost) 2 years worrying about what way the ship will be positioned at the dock.

OP, it's funny that you posted this because I, too, have had it up to here (pointing to my forehead) with that view!

It seems that no matter which ship, which cruise line, which side of the ship we're on, we get that view.:eek:

I also would not be thrilled at the prospect of staring at that mess for more than a day. We're balcony people, not beach people. We enjoy sitting out there and enjoying the view. OK. I feel better now. :p

How do you know what your view will be? Ships sometimes dock bow-to-shore and sometimes stern-to-shore. Don't think there is any way to tell ahead of time which way your ship will dock

You are 100% correct.

The last time we were this this port last January, the starboard side of the ship had the view.

We were portside, so, we looked at another cruise ship.

There were 5 cruise ships there that day, including the Oasis.

Each of those ships all looked out at another cruise ship.

Made no difference. We got dressed and, disembarked and, headed to St. Maarten..

That is a great port of call.

I never have read on here, about anyone cancelling a cruise dependent of the "maybe" view at a port of call. :confused:

Edited by GaryfmCol

We have booked on Eclipse early in March 2017, and have lost the port of Belize, so have overnight in Colombia, Looks like we will be cancelling also, would like to chose which port we have a stopover and would chose the cruise accordingly

You are 100% correct.

The last time we were this this port last January, the starboard side of the ship had the view.

We were portside, so, we looked at another cruise ship.

There were 5 cruise ships there that day, including the Oasis.

Each of those ships all looked out at another cruise ship.

Made no difference. We got dressed and, disembarked and, headed to St. Maarten..

That is a great port of call.

I never have read on here, about anyone cancelling a cruise dependent of the "maybe" view at a port of call. :confused:

Now you have heard of someone cancelling a cruise "maybe" port view. As someone posted we are not beach people we are balcony people and have breakfast on balcony each port day. The view in St. Maarten does not make for a happy breakfast, however our mimosa's usually help. I actually have found a RCCL cruise which has a port day in Dominica and have it on 24 hour hold. We have been to St. Maarten many times and it is not quite as bad as Cozumel. To many jewelery stores in St. Maarten calling my name as I walk down street.

We were on the Reflection, the ship on the left in the photo above.

View from port side:

DSCF2055.jpg

View from Starboard side (sorry, not a good picture):

DSCF2030.jpg

Thank you so much for posting the photos. This is the exact view I was trying to describe and I find it quite unpleasant especially considering what I paid for the cabin with the great balcony. I have 1605 on Equinox which is one of my favorite cabins but also like 1603. Would have loved an overnight in a port with a Caribbean view.

Not only is it an ugly view, it is very, very noisy.

I would take an over night in St. Maarten than go to that island. Very poor, I found some places very dirty. Not to say that I'm against that but found St Maarten so much better. I'd look at the cargo ships any day than to go back to Domica. Not fun!!

You didn't pay for a balcony with a great view. You pay for a balcony. The ship is not selling the view, cannot guarantee the view, and has no control over the view.

I certainly did pay for a balcony with a great view. Otherwise I can sit at home and watch the golfers on the green or drive 15 miles and be on beach of Gulf of Mexico. No problem as I switched to RCCL and actually saved $1,335.90. I lose my AQUA cabin and BLU in addition to my 1 2 3, but I can buy a lot of drinks with the money I saved. I still get my Diamond perks but lose my Elite+ perks. I am sad not to be sailing on Equinox but happy to be sailing on Serenade. Any cruise is better than no cruise.