Packing Cubes!

jules815

Instead of layering slacks, blouses shirts, as previously mentioned above, Pants in one, blouses in one, undies and bras in another, I use the narrow one for socks then you can set each cube down in the suitcase and packs so much easier plus I can get more in my suitcase. I generally will pack a 3 day supply of clothes in my carry on including evening clothes and shoes. We each of 3 sets now, although I use them more then DH.

I'm in that aforementioned thread about cubes. Thought I'd do a little update here.

I loved the Eagle Creek Specter bags that I bought and used for my Italy trip. I used them with some eBags cubes I had. I put things in the Specter bags that didn't need protection, but needed "herding", undies, socks, scarves. They all stayed together, but the formless factor of the Specters allowed me to put them in odd spaces in the bag. I ended up buying a new Specter folder that had 2 additional bags with it at the REI sale on Monday. I had a last-minute (like found out Saturday afternoon) notice that I was going on a business trip for 3 weeks starting yesterday :eek: I had to pack 3 business suits, associated shirts, work shoes, sandals, trail runners, shirts, shorts, long pants for non-work, and beach stuff. All neatly bundled in the folder and cubes, I got it all nicely in my bag at 36 lbs. My 2 weeks in Italy had my bag weighing 34 lbs. And, I packed this time in my larger, heavier roller because of my suits.

I'm increasingly trying to decrease my weight in my bags, so these Specters help with some good ounces of savings. Since I always have to carry/roll/lift my own bags, it IS a big deal to me.

The EC Specter bags aren't cheap, but they have already proven their worth to me. Since my original EC cubes and folder were from back in 2000, I know I will get my money's worth out of new ones!

Edited by slidergirl

I'm in that aforementioned thread about cubes. Thought I'd do a little update here.

I loved the Eagle Creek Specter bags that I bought and used for my Italy trip. I used them with some eBags cubes I had. I put things in the Specter bags that didn't need protection, but needed "herding", undies, socks, scarves. They all stayed together, but the formless factor of the Specters allowed me to put them in odd spaces in the bag. I ended up buying a new Specter folder that had 2 additional bags with it at the REI sale on Monday. I had a last-minute (like found out Saturday afternoon) notice that I was going on a business trip for 3 weeks starting yesterday :eek: I had to pack 3 business suits, associated shirts, work shoes, sandals, trail runners, shirts, shorts, long pants for non-work, and beach stuff. All neatly bundled in the folder and cubes, I got it all nicely in my bag at 36 lbs. My 2 weeks in Italy had my bag weighing 34 lbs. And, I packed this time in my larger, heavier roller because of my suits.

I'm increasingly trying to decrease my weight in my bags, so these Specters help with some good ounces of savings. Since I always have to carry/roll/lift my own bags, it IS a big deal to me.

The EC Specter bags aren't cheap, but they have already proven their worth to me. Since my original EC cubes and folder were from back in 2000, I know I will get my money's worth out of new ones!

I have the medium folder from Eagle Creek, what cubes did you buy and use? Which ones (size) did you find most helpful?

I have the medium folder from Eagle Creek, what cubes did you buy and use? Which ones (size) did you find most helpful?

I have 2 "quarter" cubes (socks & undies), and a half and a full cube (rolled shirts, bathing suits, workout clothes, etc. ) from ebags. My Specters was the 3 pack of 1 large, 1 med, 1 small. My new folder came with 1 full cube and a half cube. My Specter folder is the Medium size.

To me, they are all helpful - allows me to maximize space usage easily.

Ok, though I was a skeptic, and thought I would never use these, you have now all convinced me to try them out. Since the Rick Steves travel store is close, I may drop in there and try his out first since they are a good price.

Wow, things have changed since I got my basic 3 piece set from eBags years ago. Look at all the variety now.

http://www.ebags.com/category/travel-accessories/packing-aids/packing-cubes?lastSearchTerm=packing+cubes

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=packing+cubes

Edited by Sandy Sails

I ordered a 6 piece set from Amazon today(small, medium and large and three slims). I'm going to have DH use them on his next trip overseas in July. I'll order more if we like them. We're taking a rolling duffel on our next cruise and the cubes will make it easier to pack.

I bought e-bags. I checked TJ Maxx and they didn't have them. Bed Bath and Beyond had a couple of different brands, but they were more expensive than Amazon.

Edited by BND

I made my own packing folders, but I have lots of packing cubes in different sizes as well. EBay also have a good selection. Some cubes come as doubled sides and others now have interior pockets.

Some have a handle s well, this is the type I ue inside my hand luggage for anything I might need during the flight, just easy to whip the bag out and place under the seat until needed & as it's zipped I know the stuff won't accidently fall out

One adapation I have ued for ll the cubes and folders is to add a clear plastic pocket on the top/front to put in a list of what's inside (esp useful for OH as I do his packing) also means as everything fitted on the way out, it will fit easily again on the way home

I use the cubes when I pack my seasonal clothing away, makes that a lot easier.

Sandy in Spain

I also posted a couple times in that other thread.

My cubes were a recent purchase...I've used them several times now.

I find that using the KonMari folding and storing method works really well with the packing cubes. DH and I recently went through the process for our clothing and have been living in organized, easy to maintain awesomeness for months now. When I pack a cube in the same way that I "pack" my dresser drawers, I find that the cubes hold more and also that my clothes wrinkle less, if at all. The idea is that the drawer/cube resembles a filing cabinet, with all the clothing in the drawer/cube able to be seen at the same time...instead of a stacking method.

I have some; I don't use them very often. Certainly not enough to want to buy more and pack only that way. So no, not all of us who've tried them are "converts" ;)
I find that they work really well in one of my suitcases, but not so well in the other.

I do keep one permanently packed with holiday bits - My pocket hanger, my extension cable, my spare charging cable and my socket converters. Its easy to just chuck in knowing its ready to go.

I don't take the same things on all my trips, so I have a few bins in my armoire that hold various "travel" items - my liquid handwash in a trial size, adaptor plugs, shoe bags, and so on. So everything is corralled in one location so I can choose what I'll need for each trip.

I do keep one permanently packed with holiday bits - My pocket hanger, my extension cable, my spare charging cable and my socket converters. Its easy to just chuck in knowing its ready to go.

That's a great idea! I just ordered a few of the EC spectre bags for future use - right now they are just 'lying around' and all my travel stuff is stored in my 'cruise box' in the closet - and it is pretty full and the lid is 'lifting' LOL.

I think I shall use the cubes to 'temporarily' store some of my usual cruise gear to 'neaten' things up and maybe, just maybe, the cruise box will close! LOL:p;)

Discovered packing cubes prior to last years cruise and I won't be leaving home without them. I have 3 sets of different sizes from ebags. If you use e-bates, they usually have a good cash back deal on them.

I used the rolling method shown in the above video on hubby's t-shirts and was able to get ELEVEN of them in one medium size cube.

:)

Discovered packing cubes prior to last years cruise and I won't be leaving home without them. I have 3 sets of different sizes from ebags. If you use e-bates, they usually have a good cash back deal on them.

I used the rolling method shown in the above video on hubby's t-shirts and was able to get ELEVEN of them in one medium size cube.

:)

Wow - that looks amazing - will definitely be trying it out on my next trip - thanks for sharing :)

I winded buying 2 sets of different size packing cubes (small, medium, large) from Marshall's for like $16 each last year for my second trip, made packing so much easier.[emoji4] Especially, since my cabin didn't have dresser or drawers, so the cubes make great subtitutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out the packing cubes on a 3 night trip this weekend and they worked great! So much easier to grab the things I wanted without making a mess of the whole bag. Really handy when gathering things like charging cords and making sure we had all of them. I would recommend getting cubes that have some kind of see through mesh - that helped a lot. One thing I will do differently when we cruise is to plan an outfit and then pack the items for that outfit next to each other vs. each type of item (tank tops, skirts, etc) together. I had to unzip a few different bags to get everything I wanted, when I had already planned the outfits ahead of time anyway. Overall a big thumbs up and I am so pleased with my bargain set of sharper image packing cubes from TJ Maxx so much that I'm going to buy more for gifts.

I love the cubes too, I do pack by outfit, not item. The only thing I have to go for another cube for is undies. It has sped my dressing process immensely. I pack the outfit with whatever special costume jewelry in a Baggie on top of that bundle. My good stuff (if I bring it) stays in the safe at all times that it isn't on me. I try to get away with hats that go with all of my outfits. DH says I bring more hats than shoes now...ok

• 3 weeks later...