Packing Cubes!

jules815

I think I shall use the cubes to 'temporarily' store some of my usual cruise gear to 'neaten' things up and maybe, just maybe, the cruise box will close! LOL:p;)

Awesome idea for the cubes when not in "active" use! Thanks for the tip! :) (BTW - LOVE your avatar picture...guess you can figure out why by my screen name! LOL)

Discovered packing cubes prior to last years cruise and I won't be leaving home without them. I have 3 sets of different sizes from ebags.

Hey TN Deb --- I see you're relatively new to CC, and I'm sure you've already discovered how amazing it is! GREATLY enhances every cruise experience! :) (And I don't say that just because it was originally created by a lady in "our neck of the woods" - East TN!! Howdy, neighbor! LOL)

On packing cube issue -- I had to laugh when my CC newlsetter popped up --- as I was literally in the midst of ordering our 2 more sets of EBAGS! So that makes well over a dozen - we love 'em that much! (Great sale till tonight only - so check 'em out!)

I learned about them from CC years ago, and truly don't know how I ever travelled without them. Going through airline security is a breeze - if they open your suitcase, nothing topples out. Unpacking is a snap. LOVE LOVE LOVE packing cubes!!! And expecially EBAGS - I find them to be better quality and easier to zip than Eagle Creek, which we also have.

Edited by The Bun Mom

we have them in three different colours, all different sizes. one for me, one for hubby and a black set for dirty cloths that we need to bring home to wash. you can put the cubes in the washer as well, never have put them in the drier though.

i love them. when i unpack i just unzip them and fold the lid under and just put the whole thing in the drawer. theres no need to take items out of them and keeps your things from touching the inside of drawers that have held who knows what. when your ready to leave, just rezip and your packing is done.

easy peasy!

Discovered these years ago on CC>

Love them more then I though.

Have never left the stuff in the cubes but will do that next time.

I have a set of 5.

so usually use 3 big ones in the suitacase.

If we fly in a day early to the hotel. I have 1 cube for all the "hotel" stuff. So I know I don't need to touch the rest of the bag.

I also have 2 for the airplane

- 1 for the " must have in the carry on " but don't really need stuff.

Like wires, extra money and paperwork that is not required until final destination.

that goes at the bottom .

Then I have a small one for all the "airplane stuff. ( ex - ereader, mp3, snacks). this I put in the seat ocket in front. When I leave the plane, I know everything is back in the cube and I don't forget anything.

My daughter als loves them. My Husband does not and he does not use them.

I have used one of the Specter bags for a specific use the last 3 trips I've taken in the last 3 months: my change of clothes between flights. I had temperature variations of 30-40 degrees from when I left my house for the airport and my arrival at my destination. I put my change of clothes in one of the bags and put it in the bottom of my personal item or at the top of my carry on. At my destination, I just popped into the nearest restroom and change. Reversed the process when coming home. Makes it much easier to travel when starting at 45 degrees and raining and ending at 85 degrees and humid!!! Sure, I could do this with a <insert favorite plastic bag with zipper closure>, but this bag is more freeform, making it easier to stuff what I need in there.

I don't have "official" packing cubes ... I use those heavy plastic zipper bags that linens, curtains, blankets, etc, come in. They come in various sizes, you can easily see what's in them, and they are easily cleaned.

I had saved them my entire marriage and I never knew why until 2005 when we started traveling a lot more! I have a huge collection!

I don't have "official" packing cubes ... I use those heavy plastic zipper bags that linens, curtains, blankets, etc, come in. They come in various sizes, you can easily see what's in them, and they are easily cleaned.

I had saved them my entire marriage and I never knew why until 2005 when we started traveling a lot more! I have a huge collection!

Too funny as I now have a few of those too - bought hubby a 5 pack of underwear - came in a compact zippered plastic rectangle pouch - guess what we used on our vacation last week? LOL :) (and it's now 'unpacked' and in my stash of 'cubes')...

I too keep those zippered clear bags. Thought I was being frugal in keeping them for a ' maybe' use.;)

Glad to know there are other smart ladies out there!

eBags etc cubes are good for people too.

To each his own, right?

we have them in three different colours, all different sizes. one for me, one for hubby and a black set for dirty cloths that we need to bring home to wash. you can put the cubes in the washer as well, never have put them in the drier though.

i love them. when i unpack i just unzip them and fold the lid under and just put the whole thing in the drawer. theres no need to take items out of them and keeps your things from touching the inside of drawers that have held who knows what. when your ready to leave, just rezip and your packing is done.

easy peasy!

Wow! What a great idea to fold the top under the cube when you put it in the drawer! I use packing cubes too but I always zip them back up only to have to unzip them again when I need something out of them again. Duh! Double Duh! Why didn't I think of this myself? :eek:. LOL! Thanks for the great tip!!!:D

Edited by mousey

Wow! What a great idea to fold the top under the cube when you put it in the drawer! I use packing cubes too but I always zip them back up only to have to unzip them again when I need something out of them again. Duh! Double Duh! Why didn't I think of this myself? :eek:. LOL! Thanks for the great tip!!!:D

I'm in the middle, I keep the top in place but don't zip.

I got into the packing cubes thru CC. I have various from Eagle Creek and 2 Tumi's which I have now used on 3 trips with much success. I am LOL now because I have saved in a closet many, many of the plastic zipper bags you are referring. I wasn't sure why, I just felt bad throwing them out and figured I'd use them someday.......too funny! Good tip though! :)

thanks for the ebag sale !!

just bought 3 different sets

-red fleur de lis, red paisley, & all raspberry medium set

plus a samsonite aspire boarding bag to go with our

samsonite luggage - all for $110 ;)

the boarding bag has not arrived but all the packing cubes

arrived today - they are really nice - can't wait to pack for

our 2016 lengthy trip 33 cruise days & 2 weeks following

in england and wales !!;)

Just used ours for the first time on our trip to NYC (5 nights). We're on the train home right now. LOVED our e-bags. DH is a total convert now and will take them on his business trips too.

• 1 month later...

Add me to the list of packing cube fans!

I'm back from my cruise using them for the first time and I'm a convert. I've done a huge amount of travel in the last 25 years but have never got to grips with being good at organising and packing for a trip.

Just before our most recent cruise I read all the relevant threads that I could find here on CC, then bought two sets of e-bags - the regular large/medium/small set, and the same sizes in the slim option.

I found the packing and unpacking process to be so much easier than ever before.

I kept the majority of my clothes in the cubes, just placed them in drawers. I have a couple of items that do crease easily so I placed those on hangers on the closet rail.

We're going on a longer cruise in December and I think I'll get a couple more bags plus the Eagle Creek shirt folder.

I'm horribly disorganised but this is a great solution for me and I know that it will get even easier with more experience after I've used the cubes for a couple of trips. I think I will always be an overpacker, but at least this way the excess stuff is organised!

Edited by Nigella

• 3 months later...

Used our packing cubes on a recent cruise and were awesome! An extra benefit - were able to stack the larger cubes on shelves in the closet and it was like having an extra dresser with the cubes as shelves. Got 2 kinds of cubes - very inexpensive sharper image from TJ Maxx that were pretty basic, but worked fine, and some much nicer ebags brand that I bought on sale. The ebags cubes were much better quality, but twice the price, even on sale. You will be shocked at how much you can pack, especially if you roll your clothes instead of folding. Beware if you fly to travel as you can fit in so much in your bag it can quickly grow in weight!

I predict the concern with weight of bags will get more critical. Most airlines have rules for weight of carry-ons as well as checked, but only enforce checked. With more people trying to do carry-on only, I think the airlines will see making people pay by the pound OR force them to check (and pay) as a way to squeeze some more $$ out of us.

Looking at that possibility, we got 3.5-pound IT carryons, despite LOVING our hard-shell spinners.

I used 1-2-and-3 gallon ziploc bags for packing and cross-packing for our 26-day cruise last April. I do own Eagle Creek packing folders in a couple sizes -- they are good for a change of clothes and nightwear, for the overnight before embarcation day!

I

Looking at that possibility, we got 3.5-pound IT carryons, despite LOVING our hard-shell spinners.

I used 1-2-and-3 gallon ziploc bags for packing and cross-packing for our 26-day cruise last April. I do own Eagle Creek packing folders in a couple sizes -- they are good for a change of clothes and nightwear, for the overnight before embarcation day!

We too have the IT carryons which we have used from weekends to six weeks in London.they are perfect and pack very easily without packing cubes. A few ziplock work just fine.

British Air has already imposed limits on coach carryons, both weight and size.

It does however not apply to first class.

Edited by orchestrapal

I predict the concern with weight of bags will get more critical. Most airlines have rules for weight of carry-ons as well as checked, but only enforce checked. ............................

Many of the international airlines will weigh carryon. Lufthansa out of LAX weighs everything.

DD has both an IT two wheeled carryon and a 25". Checked the price at LAX, they were only $20 more than what we paid at TJMaxx. The checked bag has flown several times FCO-LAX. Only issue has been the IT metal label has fallen off.