IPad worth buying on ship

willow949

Previous threads on the subject report that they do not have a wide variety of selection, and usually not the latest releases. And prices are fixed, so all you save is the sales tax.

Only a bargain if you are from Europe, particularly the UK. EM

I had the first generation IPad and was waiting for the new IPad Air 2 to come out. It came out right before our cruise. On board there was a close out of the 4th generation IPad with 64 GB for $300 that is no longer being sold. It was a saving of $300 compared to the Air 2 that I wanted so I bought it and using it now. I also had $400 SBC that I had to use.

if you have SBC it can be a good deal as you may save taxes but the cost will be applied towards your allowance so it depends on your other purchases.

Costco is selling the Air 2 for a reduced rate that would offset any taxes paid.

If you want to use it on board it may be better to buy it before hand as it will be up and operating and you will have it. On board it is iffy for them to have what you want and is about impossible to download all of your stuff because of the speed and cost of the Internet.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

There wasn't much difference in the on board price to that available duty free at the airport prior to flying out for ipads. Also if bought on the highstreet, John Lewis offer 3 year guarantee, so swings and roundabouts!!

Last year, I actually saw them selling iPads for more than the suggested price in the US. Not a lot, maybe $30 or $40, but still more. Perhaps they figured it was going to seem less expensive to the guests from the UK and Brazil?

Personally, I'm a fan of getting electronics at home before you go, so you can get them all set up before the cruise. If you have a lot of OBC, however, and want what they have, it isn't a bad ideal

There wasn't much difference in the on board price to that available duty free at the airport prior to flying out for ipads. Also if bought on the highstreet, John Lewis offer 3 year guarantee, so swings and roundabouts!!

I never plan to keep one for 3 years. We buy these in the business on a 2 year data contact. The cost over the 2 years is the same as the cost of the Ipad so doing it that way you get your data free for 2 years. We do actually use them in the business extensively now that we can get excel and word for free.

At the end of the 2 years we sell them to one of the recycling sites for about £200 each and get the latest models.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

Last year, I actually saw them selling iPads for more than the suggested price in the US. Not a lot, maybe $30 or $40, but still more. Perhaps they figured it was going to seem less expensive to the guests from the UK and Brazil?

That was my experience. Considering I pay 7.8% sales tax, it would have been a wash for me.

Also, if you have American Express, Discover, or some Visa/MC cards, there is a perk for built-in extended warranties if you make the purchase on the card, which wouldn't work on board since it is billed to your ship account. Even if you settle your account with an Amex that doesn't qualify.

I had the first generation IPad and was waiting for the new IPad Air 2 to come out. It came out right before our cruise. On board there was a close out of the 4th generation IPad with 64 GB for $300 that is no longer being sold. It was a saving of $300 compared to the Air 2 that I wanted so I bought it and using it now. I also had $400 SBC that I had to use.

if you have SBC it can be a good deal as you may save taxes but the cost will be applied towards your allowance so it depends on your other purchases.

Costco is selling the Air 2 for a reduced rate that would offset any taxes paid.

If you want to use it on board it may be better to buy it before hand as it will be up and operating and you will have it. On board it is iffy for them to have what you want and is about impossible to download all of your stuff because of the speed and cost of the Internet.

happy cruising

Very good point.

I've read where they give 24 hours unlimited internet if you buy on board.

My connie TA, the internet was so reliable and efficient, I was able to be logged into my business at home using Windows Remote Desktop Connect and get things done, about 95% of the time I wanted to while making the crossing. It felt like they had somehow enhanced speed and service versus my prior sailings. Facebook on iPhone etc, all worked well, so I think downloading apps would be simple enough.