Luggage tags - looking for tips about

Scubadoobie2

I don't want to place my cruise ship luggage tags on my luggage until after I have already flown to the cruise port city. And, I don't want to take a stapler along just to attach the luggage tags. Neither do I want to have to ask the front desk at the hotel if I can borrow a stapler to fasten my cruise ship luggage tags to my luggage.

So, if you have any good tips for dealing with luggage tags for those of us who my must fly to our cruise port, please share.

Here is a starter suggestion or 2, but please add your ideas and tips...

* Once you have printed your luggage tags cover them with clear packing tape to strengthen them to assure that the tags are not accidentally ripped off of your luggage during transport to your cabin;

* How can I attach my luggage tags without using a stapler? How about a safety pin? Or, would you just take some clear Scotch tape along? What do you do?

Do you have other ideas or suggestions? Just as good or better? Please share. Thanks. :D

For a very reasonable price, you can purchase Cruise Critic luggage tag holders right here on this site. I bought a collection of them and they are so easy to slip your tag into and use the included band to attach to your suitcases. I have used these tag holders a number of times and they have stood up very well.

Here's a link. Go look and see if you like them.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/

Based on your suggested approaches, I think your easiest option is to bring some clear tape with you so you can tape them on just before dropping them off at the port. One tip that we use every cruise is to place a copy of our boarding pass in each piece or our luggage that we don't carry on. That way, should the tags come off, at least an easy search of the bag should reveal who they belong to and what our cabin is.

If you would rather, you could cover each tag with clear packing tape, punch a hole and attach with a zip tie.

Also, stevedores at the ports have luggage tags. Have a pen handy and ask the stevedore for tags, put your name and cabin number and perhaps provide a tip to the stevedore. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I don't want to place my cruise ship luggage tags on my luggage until after I have already flown to the cruise port city. And, I don't want to take a stapler along just to attach the luggage tags. Neither do I want to have to ask the front desk at the hotel if I can borrow a stapler to fasten my cruise ship luggage tags to my luggage.

So, if you have any good tips for dealing with luggage tags for those of us who my must fly to our cruise port, please share.

* Once you have printed your luggage tags cover them with clear packing tape to strengthen them to assure that the tags are not accidentally ripped off of your luggage during transport to your cabin;

* How can I attach my luggage tags without using a stapler? How about a safety pin? Or, would you just take some clear Scotch tape along? What do you do?

Do you have other ideas or suggestions? Just as good or better? Please share. Thanks. :D

Your hotel will be more than happy to loan you their stapler, I'm sure. We stay at a Hampton Inn and in the morning they have several staplers sitting on their front desk specifically for cruisers to attach their luggage tags. If you are at a hotel used to dealing with cruisers you should have no problem.

Once we did a 7 day cruise on one ship then a 14 day on another line. that time we took along a roll of tape and used that to tape our luggage tags on. That worked well too.

For a very reasonable price, you can purchase Cruise Critic luggage tag holders right here on this site. I bought a collection of them and they are so easy to slip your tag into and use the included band to attach to your suitcases. I have used these tag holders a number of times and they have stood up very well.

Here's a link. Go look and see if you like them.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/

I liked your suggestion so I clicked on the link. Okay, not bad, so I clicked on the link for price info. Okay, cheap enough. But, if you happen to want them delivered the next day be prepared to pay through the nose. The list of possible costs for getting the luggage tags just strikes me as funny, especially for next day, A.M. delivery. Here is that list:

Approximate Shipping Costs:

USPS: First Class: $2.54

USPS: Parcel Post: $6.14

USPS: Priority Mail: $6.15

Ground: $19.07

USPS: Express Mail: $25.75

3rd Day: $30.45

2nd Day: $41.25

2nd Day AM: $46.86

Next Day Afternoon: $92.93

Next Day: $100.26

Next Day Early AM: $132.36

Actual shipping values will be based on your shipping destination.

I bought cruise tags off amazon. Clear pocket you slide the tag into and you attach it like a regular luggage tag. I've used mine 4 times and it still looks new. I'd recommend it! I attach it the morning I board the ship.

That is the style of the ones in the CC store. :)

If you would rather, you could cover each tag with clear packing tape, punch a hole and attach with a zip tie.

Also, stevedores at the ports have luggage tags. Have a pen handy and ask the stevedore for tags, put your name and cabin number and perhaps provide a tip to the stevedore. :)

We also do the packing tape/zip tie method.

I have used the clear packing tape and zip tie method on my last 4 cruises, have not had any issue with tags being pulled off. I just put the tape covered tags with the hole punched in each end in a Ziploc bag along with the zip ties in my carry-on. when I reach the port I pull them out and attach them. I would highly recommend it.

I have always used scotch tape. Double up the ends and part way up the sides. Never a problem. I even do my carry on

Putting an extra copy on the inside is also a good idea.

Even if you do the stapler put a piece of tape over it so anybody handling it does not scratch themselves.

I laminate mine. Fold them pop them in a laminating pouch, leaving blank area around the tag for cutting space. Once I have cut out the laminated tags, I round the corners so they are not sharp, then punch a hole in the end for the tie to go through. They look very neat, clear and are extremely sturdy.

We have always used packing tape and a small stapler purchased at a dollar store. Finally in December I broke down and purchased 8 heavy duty plastic/vinyl luggage tag holders from a vendor on eBay. I am very pleased with them.

I don't want to take a stapler along just to attach the luggage tags. Neither do I want to have to ask the front desk at the hotel if I can borrow a stapler to fasten my cruise ship luggage tags to my luggage.

I own a pocket size stapler barely 1.5 inches long that still uses standard size staples; just only holds a few dozen. Invaluable both when travelling and as a grad-school conversation starter with young(er) co-eds (just one of the perks of a perpetual student ;))

Also I am sure hotels in cruise turn-around ports will have staplers at the ready at the bellman's desk and the check-out desk. Why on earth would you not want to use them--embarrassed to admit you are cruising :confused:

Both scenarios eminently preferable to futzing around with a roll of packing tape.

Why bother with printing, stapling, etc. You do not need to do this.

You can easily fill out luggage tags at the dock. Just have your cabin number and a pen handy. Takes all of 30 seconds.

Edited by iancal

Neither do I want to have to ask the front desk at the hotel if I can borrow a stapler to fasten my cruise ship luggage tags to my luggage.

. :D

Why not? We do it all the time. The desk does not care.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

"Print your own" luggage tags? A bad omen of the nickel/diming to which some cruise lines will subject their passengers once they step foot on the ship.

However, if you are faced with having to make your own tags, why not just print them on adhesive backed vinyl sheets, cut them to size, and fold them over your luggage handles just like regular airline luggage tags?

http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20waterproof%20adhesive%20film%20media.html

Get luggage tags at the pier. Write the name and cabin number on them and you are good to go. Only required equipment is a writing utensil , preferably a Sharpie.

I am amazed at all of the angst over luggage tags.