Now I Have Heard Everything

nukesubsailor

On a recent cruise, when walking by Trivia, I heard the staffer say in that parent voice..."now this is just for FUN!". Made me laugh in light of the stories I've read on here of people going a bit overboard (no pun intended) with trivia! To me, if you're gonna play, play fair and square. I wanna win of my own volition, too competitive to cheat.

If a person will cheat to get a $1 trinket, do you really trust them not to cheat to get an $8 drink of save $70+ on gratuities? My dad warned me when I was young that people exist who will get more pleasure out of screwing someone out of a dime than out of earning a dollar honestly. 60 years of life has taught me that my dad was correct.

I suppose I just try to find the good in people. IMO, it's just as silly to worry about people cheating over a $1 trinket as it is to actually cheat in order to get a $1 trinket. When you reduce it down to the lowest common denominator, it's hardly worth getting ones knickers in an uproar.

I enjoy trivia and I have a mind that seems to be filled with all types of useless facts and numbers.

On one cruise, I went into the first trivia game of the cruise and became part of a team formed from 6 random strangers. It turned out that because of our various occupations and hobbies, we were a dream team and missed, at most, two questions during any of the trivia games played on that 11 day cruise.

Yes, we were accused of cheating by some very vocal players to the extant the cruise staff person stood next to us during the games and could tell people that no electronic devices or other aids were used to answer the questions.

Trivia is one of my favorite activities. I like to win, but not badly enough to cheat. It's fun to be able to dredge up something from a past cruise or some other nook and cranny in my brain. We also like to meet fun people. Most of the time, we give away the prizes if we win. They're not worth packing.

Played trivia for first time on a 24 day cruise. We were in teams of 8 and it was hilarious. Everyone was friendly but competitive. Even called out the CD on an incorrect answer , and teased her throughout the cruise. This was a bonus highlight to our cruise . Looked forward to 4 o'clock..

I enjoy trivia and I have a mind that seems to be filled with all types of useless facts and numbers.

On one cruise, I went into the first trivia game of the cruise and became part of a team formed from 6 random strangers. It turned out that because of our various occupations and hobbies, we were a dream team and missed, at most, two questions during any of the trivia games played on that 11 day cruise.

Yes, we were accused of cheating by some very vocal players to the extant the cruise staff person stood next to us during the games and could tell people that no electronic devices or other aids were used to answer the questions.

I hope the smart trivia team that you were on is when you and I were on the same team.

That was probably the cruise we were on. The same group of people did seem to win most of the time. We always had a team of 4 and we finally won one on the second to last day. the prizes were probably the best we have ever won on Princess they were drinking bottles. We were surprised how many people congratulated us on winning.

I find the majority of people congratulate the winners.

Trivia is one of my favorite activities. I like to win, but not badly enough to cheat. It's fun to be able to dredge up something from a past cruise or some other nook and cranny in my brain. We also like to meet fun people. Most of the time, we give away the prizes if we win. They're not worth packing.

Yep not much that we win makes it home.

Had the same experience. Just happen to know the answer to an unusual question...what part of the body is the zygomatic bones located in? Answer: Cheek bone.

Just happened to be taking an anatomy class at the time. :p

Like to play, and not really part of a team...just to see if I know the answers....keeps my brain going...

Melissa

That's why we love trivia just keeps the old grey matter running.

My husband and I usually sit in the back of the room and just play privately for a fun thing to do on sea days. We are often asked to join a group but politely decline. We find it fun and enjoy watching others but haven't seen much "cheating" or bad manners. Guess we are lucky!

Past trivia experiences on Princess:

o One couple that played by themselves had been on the ship for months and knew the answers to every question as the cruise staff kept using the same quizzes. No notes, but they did win almost every game. Finally I convinced the staffer running the quiz to let me bring a Trivial Pursuit game to her from the library. With a new set of questions, that couple had a very low score.

o That same couple from above always sat in the same place in the venue. One day one of our team arrived early enough to sit in that spot. When the couple arrived they were very upset and left without playing that time.

o One time we had the question to correctly spell the name of the hospital where the world's first heart transplant had been performed. One of our teammates had grown up about a mile from that hospital and we ended up being the only team with the correct spelling.

o One time we had a very (to our team) difficult quiz. That time the staffer awarded the prizes to the worst team at the session. I think we had four correct out of 20 and thus had the lowest score in the room.

o Just as many Americans (including us) do not know enough about our Presidents (who was the 21st President?), we found that the British do not know enough about past Kings and Queens and Canadians do not know enough trivia about hockey.

Last year, hubby and I were on a cruise on another line. I had read on the Cruise Critic forum for that ship, that they have a game called, "Quest", that is a "do not miss". It was described as a cross between an adult scavenger hunt, and "lets make a deal". So, when I saw it listed on the daily newsletter for that night, I highlighted it. The game is held in an arena type studio, with stadium seating. Long story short...the game ended with a woman stripping down to her G-string in hopes of winning. Unfortunately for her, her team lost.

No lie, bare breasts, exposed buttocks, nothing left to the imagination, all in hopes of winning a key chain!!!

My husband and I usually sit in the back of the room and just play privately for a fun thing to do on sea days. We are often asked to join a group but politely decline. We find it fun and enjoy watching others but haven't seen much "cheating" or bad manners. Guess we are lucky!
My wife and I do the same thing. We like to sit in a corner of the room and see how good we do, just for the fun of it. Most of the time we get about 11 or 12 correct out of 20. Once we got 16, and came close to winning. We were shocked!

Last year, hubby and I were on a cruise on another line. I had read on the Cruise Critic forum for that ship, that they have a game called, "Quest", that is a "do not miss". It was described as a cross between an adult scavenger hunt, and "lets make a deal". So, when I saw it listed on the daily newsletter for that night, I highlighted it. The game is held in an arena type studio, with stadium seating. Long story short...the game ended with a woman stripping down to her G-string in hopes of winning. Unfortunately for her, her team lost.

No lie, bare breasts, exposed buttocks, nothing left to the imagination, all in hopes of winning a key chain!!!

Wow who needs prizes :D:D

Two thoughts pop into my mind as I read your message. First was that I figured that it wasn't a Disney cruise and secondly I wondered if the game turned out to be a big bust! :rolleyes:

Was she alone or was she with someone? And if the latter, what did they do when she had her coming out party?

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

I remember one Princess Trivia Quiz when we had amalgamated a set of six team members from a few stragglers around us. Halfway through, one of the ladies husbands turned up and sat near us gazing around the room. He made no attempt to join in and just sat there, on two occasions he shouted at the top of his voice things like "RIO DE JANEIRO" and everybody shooshed at him. As luck would have it at the end of marking we were first place. Then someone said they have got too many in their team! We were disqualified and did not gripe about it but I did say to the others that the "extra guy" did absolutely nothing to help our team and gave away a couple of the answers to the entire room but we had already written those answers down before he shouted. Well that's trivia.

Regards John

And you are surprised?

Some cruisers take the trivia game as a matter of life and death.

I am not surprised at anything some will go to in order to win a luggage tag or some other crappy prize.

Mike:)

On one cruise, DH and I were having lunch and another couple asked to share the table, which was fine. They were very nice and we started to chat over lunch. They were rehashing the morning trivia contest and started asking us the questions they missed. I got them all right. :o

They demanded we come to the afternoon session and join their team. They did not look very happy when we declined the invitation. :cool:

I was traveling solo on a Panama Canal cruise in April. First day I met some awesome folks to play trivia with, second day I met some other people they had met. We ended up playing as a team of 6 most days and we won, quite often. We were accused of cheating on more than one occasion but as we most definitely weren't I see it as sour grapes from those who couldn't win. Sure, the prizes weren't fabulous but it was fun to try and win a whole set of the prizes on offer. Didn't manage to get a lanyard, sad about that.

I remember one Princess Trivia Quiz when we had amalgamated a set of six team members from a few stragglers around us. Halfway through, one of the ladies husbands turned up and sat near us gazing around the room. He made no attempt to join in and just sat there, on two occasions he shouted at the top of his voice things like "RIO DE JANEIRO" and everybody shooshed at him. As luck would have it at the end of marking we were first place. Then someone said they have got too many in their team! We were disqualified and did not gripe about it but I did say to the others that the "extra guy" did absolutely nothing to help our team and gave away a couple of the answers to the entire room but we had already written those answers down before he shouted. Well that's trivia.

We were once on a team when one of the team members would purposely say in a stage whisper an incorrect answer.

It turns out one time the whispered answer was correct and what we had written down was wrong. The team near us that heard the "wrong" answer won by one point thanks to the whisperer.

I have never seen "Trivia Quiz for the Mastery of All Time Space and Dimension." Now, in that game I can understand using some electronic cheating devices. In the words of the great Stewie Griffin, "Victory shall be mine!"

The competitors on that cruise line go all out to win quest. It is held in the ice skating area (they put plywood down on the ice) so there is stadium type seating on three sides and a stage on the fourth. The ice skating shows are interesting especially since the ship is in the Caribbean. Quest is a silly adult game with men ending up wearing high heels, bras etc. Some pax live for that game. I have seen it twice and found it to be boring but to each their own.

Seems weird to me for anyone to be carrying around a phone during a cruise! So much fun to just be unavailable .

Princess now has the capability to see the activity schedule and ultimately messaging on smart phones and tablets. You need the Princess app (Princess@sea messenger) to do it which is available on the Google Play Store. It will only work on Princess ships that are now equipped for it but they are slowly installing throughout the fleet. It really is nice now and will only get better. Expect to see a lot of smart phones (airplane mode) and tablets on pax soon. There is a thread on cc about it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2107121