Income of Royal Caribbean Passengers

What is your cruising family's household income?  

734 members have voted

1. 1. What is your cruising family's household income?

• 0-40,000
    • 40,001-80,000
    • 80,001-120,000
    • 120,001-180,000
    • 180,001 +

This is a totally anonymous survey do not feel the need to answer if you do not feel so inclined!

A crew member we became close with on a cruise last weekend commented about how passengers are all rich and have lots of disposable income.

That has not ever been my perception of mainstream cruising but I see how to a crew member from a poor country would see anybody taking a vacation as rich so I wanted to do an unofficial general poll about it.

I ask that nobody comment anything snide, controversial, suggestive, etcetera and let the pool run its course.

kind of a silly poll.

Port Everglades in season might have 50,000 passengers pass through in a single day. You can be sure there is someone cruising who can't rub two nickles together and other who arrive in their Bentley.

I see people who at every port, do it yourself excursion to those who get picked up in private cars to those who just walk around the port. Some has to do with choice and others because they just don't have the extra money saving just to get on the ship.

But no not everyone on the ship is rich, not even close and certainly not on the Royal Ships. Maybe back in the day. But cruising is one of the cheapest overall vacations one can take now.

If I had to guess, I'd say most are just average middle class folks

My god we where just on our first cruise, we ant nowhere near rich, I only work in a factory making porridge lol , we had to work over time and all to go on our cruise, and we got a deal with flights free,

Like any business, a cruise line will have its target demographic for marketing. Carnival Cruise Line, NCL and Royal Caribbean have similar market targets. Princess, Celebrity, HAL, and Cunard will be similar.

The current target market for Royal Caribbean is very different from their target market in 1990. The line was repositioned to allow for marketing Celebrity and Azamara.

Edited by Homosassa

I just polled our 6 house staff (just at the Summer Home mind you). 4 out of 6 said we were doing alright. The other 2 were undecided....or busy waxing the Bentley.... Or was it the Berlinetta? Whichever we had flown in with us this week. Anyway, it's nice to be known as the 'salt of the Earth folk' we are that are happy to cruise on occasion (as long as the ship's heliport is available for our private excursions).

Tah!

Disclaimer:

(Dictated but not read back by Brig's press staff and submitted to CC forum)

I swear that I saw or read an article or post here on CC recently that gave info from RCI talking about the average age and income of adult RCI households. If I recall correctly the income was listed at something like $147,000.

We are in the median household income range so apparently we don't fit in with the crowd. :confused:

I personally think the results of this poll will be fascinating.

You all are correct, it's nunya...if the OP was asking each of us individually to post what our income is. But as a completely anonymous poll, it will be an interesting reflection on the demographics of the subset of RC cruisers who frequent CC.

Of course, "income" doesn't tell the whole story. A family living in a medium-sized city in the midwest could be living quite high on the hog indeed at, say, $100,000 per year. But that same income in NYC or LA or Boston is another story.

Still a fun diversion. Thanks for creating the poll, OP.

I just polled our 6 house staff (just at the Summer Home mind you). 4 out of 6 said we were doing alright. The other 2 were undecided....or busy waxing the Bentley.... Or was it the Berlinetta? Whichever we had flown in with us this week. Anyway, it's nice to be known as the 'salt of the Earth folk' we are that are happy to cruise on occasion (as long as the ship's heliport is available for our private excursions).

Tah!

Disclaimer:

(Dictated but not read back by Brig's press staff and submitted to CC forum)

Adopt me?

[emoji383][emoji12][emoji576]

*blink* *blink* answer if you want, hit the "back" button if you don't.

some save up for several years to go on a cruise, some are able to go once or even several times a year. Some put groceries/gas/essentials on a credit card and use the earned points to pay for said cruises...

No big deal! I guess I have been desensitized about people knowing my income. Before I retired as a governmental employee my income and my family's income was a public record. I was required by law to file all income. Many times I would see my family's name listed with our income in the local newspaper. I was very glad that my address was not a public record! Even now that I am retired my pension is published yearly as a public record. If I am required to work by my former employer as a consultant that income becomes a public record.

Edited by ltjn

If it's Royal it must be really high, LOL

Because I have three coworkers that make 1/3 of what I make and they have only been on one cruise and it was RCI and they look down on Carnival like its for poor people

FCCA

Cruise travelers spread across the age spectrum, with one-quarter falling equally in the 30-39, 50-59 and 60-74 age groups.

• Cruisers’ annual household income was $114,000.

• The vast majority of cruise travelers were employed (72%), college educated (69%) and married (84%).

• Past cruisers predominately believed that cruises should be taken often while mixing it up with landbased vacations, with 34% responding this way. Another 18% strictly prefer cruise vacations over other types and want to cruise as often as they can.

some save up for several years to go on a cruise, some are able to go once or even several times a year. Some put groceries/gas/essentials on a credit card and use the earned points to pay for said cruises...

Some live in houses and drive cars that are worth less than they could afford. Some invest any pay raises.

All so that they can travel, and have experiences rather than more "stuff".

That describes us!

Of course, "income" doesn't tell the whole story. A family living in a medium-sized city in the midwest could be living quite high on the hog indeed at, say, $100,000 per year. But that same income in NYC or LA or Boston is another story.

Still a fun diversion. Thanks for creating the poll, OP.

True statement. However, there also should be a caveat for retired cruisers, because depending on where their income comes from, they are usually in a lower tax bracket, so their income stretches further.

Because we have a mortgage and other tax deductions, we pay no income tax at all. So, our retirement income has more disposable/discretionary/left over for travel.

Income is misleading. The poll should ask anonymously how much disposable income does one have after expenses and taxes.

Without knowing which answer I chose (and you can't tell, unless I tell you) it only means that my household income is somewhere between zero and infinity. But you probably could have guessed that, anyway.

My income is somewhere between infinity and beyond!

(Sorry... was just stuck watching Toy Story last night.)

I do find some of the reactions here quite interesting, though. It is definitely indicative of a mindset in America that income is some kind of deeply personal matter, so much so that some people are offended even by the idea of being asked to anonymously answer a poll about it.

Exactly! No personal details required - what is the big deal??? If you don't wish to participate back out and carry on.

LOL...pretty simple, right?!? But it's Cruise Critic. This is the place where we welcome everyone to contribute questions, deep thoughts, personal opinions about cruising. Then we turn on the posters; verbally assault them, and beat them mercilessly with the cyber-space bat. I love this place. :rolleyes:

Well, many people over the years have bragged about belonging to the balcony club so that question doesn't seem to upset anyone at all lol.

Heck, Cruise Directors have asked that question of passengers on-stage, in front of a theater full of fellow passengers. :)