Princess Just Ticked Me Off Majorly.

deborahjo

I will be sailing on the Coral Princess in September. This will be my first Princess cruise.

I have several cruises under my belt so I am not new. To night I went to print my docs because I am at 75 days. The problems started to mount. I logged on and it told me I had to put a credit card in if I wanted to print my docs including my luggage tags. I have never had this happen on Carnival or Disney. I have always set up a cash account. That way our cruise is always paid in full as we walk off the ship.

I know what will be said here. Why not use a credit card? We have in the past and had no problem. If our cash account gets low we either add more cash or put up a credit card. I just don't like to charge if we do not have to.

I called Princess to find out what was going on. The gal on the phone him hauled around and never said it was required. I explained everything to her. She even accessed my PC account. She finally realized what I was talking about. I ask her flat out if Princess offered a Cash account. She said she would have to put me on hold and ask for some answers. I said fine.

When she returned she said yes they do allow Cash accounts but if I do not put a credit card in we can not print our docs or luggage tags til 3 to 5 days before our cruise she believed. I told her that was just plain crazy.

She also said we would also be required to put down at least $300 pp at check in. I told her we usually put down $1000 on top of our OBC on our account. That is no problem.

I ask her where in the Princess Contract does it say I have to have a credit card to do my docs or to check in to the ship. She went away again. She returned a few minutes and said in this paragraph under this section on this number it reads: At check in guest must present a valid credit card or other form of payment to secure the guest ship board account. I explained to her it says "or other form of payment" not a credit card. She just did not see my point.

On Carnival (both owned by same company) we always mark cash account in our paperwork and move on. When we check in we just hand over cash for our account. We are allowed to print our docs and luggage tags and move on. The lady told me that I could get the luggage tags at the port and I don't need my docs at check in. I just needed the Official Itinerary to get on the ship. I tried to tell her that was wrong. But she would not listen.

By this time I was done. Now I have to decide do we not add money to our OBC and just use the credit card and use the vacation account to pay it off once we return. I just don't like the last option.

I know you will all say use the credit card and move on but it is not that simple for me. I hate to use the credit cards due to the holds they put on the card. They do not do this with a cash account. On Carnival when my account got to $100 they let me know and we just added extra funds. No big deal.

Sorry just Venting

Edited by deborahjo

It's that simple.

You need to put in a credit card number to complete your personalizer but then you may pay cash for your account once onboard.

I don't understand the aversion to this.

Mike:)

It's that simple.

You need to put in a credit card number to complete your personalizer but then you may pay cash for your account once onboard.

Agreed Mike. No hemming and hawing here. Just put the card info in and add the cash to the OBC. No holds on the card if you never exceed the cash on deposit amount is my understanding (if I am wrong I know that I will be corrected shortly :D).

Hope that the vent helps the OP to relax and enjoy their cruise. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

It's that simple.

Agree completely; no one is saying you have to use the credit card-they just want a back up on file.

The lady told me that I could get the luggage tags at the port and I don't need my docs at check in. I just needed the Official Itinerary to get on the ship. I tried to tell her that was wrong. But she would not listen.

You should have listened to this particular item.

You don't need printed docs to check-in at the port.

You do need:

Proper and valid ID

Method of payment (in your case, cash)

Luggage tags are available from the shoreside baggage handlers.

To supplement...not everyone that cruises has a computer and printer, or wouldn't know how to use them if they did. Those folks get to cruise, too....and you may meet them onboard. Still, they show up and are able to check-in with what we would consider, a minimum of documentation.

Put in the credit card info, get your boarding pass &other docs. Get on the ship and go to Passenger Services, give them your $1000. If there is any left at the end of the cruise, go back to PAX Services and request a cash refund. Do not let them offer you a check (it takes up to a month to get the check in the mail).

I agree its a nonsense policy. I don't like spreading around CC numbers unnecessarily either.

As a workaround, how about go purchase a $50 pre-loaded Visa or MC and use that card number to satisfy the personalizer and print your docs. Then use it up for routine expenses. Might cost you a few $ in fees but you won't expose your other cards.

They do not charge your card or put a hold on it until you check in. When you check in just give them cash and nothing will be charged to your card. You can even give them one card number to print your documents and check in with a different card if you are not paying cash.

It is no different than checking into a hotel. If you book it online, you have to hold the reservation with with a card or pay cash upfront.

I will be sailing on the Coral Princess in September. This will be my first Princess cruise.

I have several cruises under my belt so I am not new. To night I went to print my docs because I am at 75 days. The problems started to mount. I logged on and it told me I had to put a credit card in if I wanted to print my docs including my luggage tags. I have never had this happen on Carnival or Disney. I have always set up a cash account. That way our cruise is always paid in full as we walk off the ship.

I know what will be said here. Why not use a credit card? We have in the past and had no problem. If our cash account gets low we either add more cash or put up a credit card. I just don't like to charge if we do not have to.

I called Princess to find out what was going on. The gal on the phone him hauled around and never said it was required. I explained everything to her. She even accessed my PC account. She finally realized what I was talking about. I ask her flat out if Princess offered a Cash account. She said she would have to put me on hold and ask for some answers. I said fine.

When she returned she said yes they do allow Cash accounts but if I do not put a credit card in we can not print our docs or luggage tags til 3 to 5 days before our cruise she believed. I told her that was just plain crazy.

She also said we would also be required to put down at least $300 pp at check in. I told her we usually put down $1000 on top of our OBC on our account. That is no problem.

I ask her where in the Princess Contract does it say I have to have a credit card to do my docs or to check in to the ship. She went away again. She returned a few minutes and said in this paragraph under this section on this number it reads: At check in guest must present a valid credit card or other form of payment to secure the guest ship board account. I explained to her it says "or other form of payment" not a credit card. She just did not see my point.

On Carnival (both owned by same company) we always mark cash account in our paperwork and move on. When we check in we just hand over cash for our account. We are allowed to print our docs and luggage tags and move on. The lady told me that I could get the luggage tags at the port and I don't need my docs at check in. I just needed the Official Itinerary to get on the ship. I tried to tell her that was wrong. But she would not listen.

By this time I was done. Now I have to decide do we not add money to our OBC and just use the credit card and use the vacation account to pay it off once we return. I just don't like the last option.

I know you will all say use the credit card and move on but it is not that simple for me. I hate to use the credit cards due to the holds they put on the card. They do not do this with a cash account. On Carnival when my account got to $100 they let me know and we just added extra funds. No big deal.

Sorry just Venting

Geez what's the big deal , put a credit card in.

And here I was hoping for some drama. It would seem that Princess would accommodate the original poster no matter how they wanted to work with the cash...so I don't get it either. I think the fact that Princess doesn't do it like Carnival and Disney seems to be the sticking point.

But Carnival looked to Princess after acquiring them for their back office processes and procedures... ? :confused:

I wonder how the original poster paid their deposit?

Wow. Wait til she gets aboard and finds all the other things Princess doesn't do the same as Carnival or Disney . . . .

But they're all owned by Carnival so they have to do everything the same.

You should have listened to this particular item.

You don't need printed docs to check-in at the port.

You do need:

Proper and valid ID

Method of payment (in your case, cash)

Luggage tags are available from the shoreside baggage handlers.

To supplement...not everyone that cruises has a computer and printer, or wouldn't know how to use them if they did. Those folks get to cruise, too....and you may meet them onboard. Still, they show up and are able to check-in with what we would consider, a minimum of documentation.

Absolutely. No bother... we never carry "cruise documents" and always get our luggage tags at the pier. Figure the less paperwork to have to carry the better. I do keep our confirmation numbers on my phone(Tripit is a godsend), but that's it.

So OP do not fill in the Personnalizer. Take you information and your cash and go to the check in desk. When you get there and it takes a good bit of time to check in compared to others there with you as they get checked in quickly. And then do not be suprised when no one shows you any sympathy when you come back on here to complain how bad the check in process was for you. And I am happy you feel safer carrying around thousands in cash instead of a few credit cards. Enjoy your cruise even though everything is pointing to that not happening.

Please do come back and reply. SOON.

Edited by Potstech

So OP do not fill in the Personnalizer. Take you information and your cash and go to the check in desk. When you get there and it takes a good bit of time to check in compared to others there with you as they get checked in quickly. And then do not be suprised when no one shows you any sympathy when you come back on here to complain how bad the check in process was for you. And I am happy you feel safer carrying around thousands in cash instead of a few credit cards. Enjoy your cruise even though everything is pointing to that not happening.

Please do come back and reply. SOON.

How can they enjoy their cruise when something this minor is a major tick off.

They do not charge your card or put a hold on it until you check in. When you check in just give them cash and nothing will be charged to your card. You can even give them one card number to print your documents and check in with a different card if you are not paying cash.

It is no different than checking into a hotel. If you book it online, you have to hold the reservation with with a card or pay cash upfront.

This is exactly how it works...there are no "holds" put on your card whatsoever once you give them the cash when you check in on embarkation day.

Have a fantastic cruise! Welcome to Princess, I trust in the end you will love the royal treatment you are going to receive onboard. Don't let the bumps getting things set up taint your expectations on this trip. Look forward to your review in comparison, when you return.