Do you want an honest review of Oasis of the Seas?

True, food is so subjective. I loved Vintages, with the exception of the octopus. I do not understand the OP hating everything in Vintages. As hard as I tried I could not sample everything on the menu.

We ate there the last night and I was pretty burned out. I actually tried the octupus. It really didn't have a taste. We share the 8 piece sampler. I didn't like the meats. It was very similar to the food in Spain. It just wasn't for me or any of us. :p

It was very similar to the food in Spain. It just wasn't for me or any of us. :p

Considering tapas are supposed to be Spanish food, that is a compliment :p

While I myself have no grudges against you not being a Royal cheerleader, I also wondered about your choice of words.

Just because people don't have anything to complain about in their reports, it doesn't mean they are not being honest. Or frank. Or direct.

I myself haven't had much to complain about but I guarantee I've written about the negatives if and when there have been any.

So maybe it's just that people thought you were calling them dishonest compared to yourself. We all know how well THAT goes down in this forum :rolleyes:;)

Do wish though that you'll find out soon how to post photos!!

Ive had better steaks than Chops at Western Sizzlin :cool: Seriously. And MUCH cheaper. Chops is "meh" to us now and no longer worth the upcharge. Twice we have given it a chance with the same end result. Sad too because we enjoyed it very much back a few years ago (2011).

Chops is definitely not what it used to be. Amazing too, because as the quality suffers the price continues to rise.

And the parents of these kids should tone them down and teach them to have consideration for others. No .. its not "what they do" .. unless they have wuss parents.

Yes, it is what kids do. The parents are supposed to be there to teach them some manners.

Really enjoying your review so far .. it sounds like quite an ordeal u had to endure for ur first night !

I appreciate the honesty u are being chided for here .. we know that the RC cheerleaders on here will go for anyones throat who dare criticize "their" line .. especially Oasis or Allure .. so I see how this took a bit of courage ... keep it coming !

My only question is: why the smarmy voice when saying this? U confused me a little on this one! ;)

I didn't get that either. There is NOTHING wrong with JetBlue! It is an awesome airline - I'd save the smarmy for Spirit or Southwest...but that's just me, and price be d%$^ed I would never choose to fly them. (ETA: Just saw your response, and now I get it.)

I'm also enjoying the review. :) You'd never catch me on a Behemoth of the Seas, but it's fun to read others' experiences.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

I've cruised enough to know the food probably won't be good. I'm not sure I've ever eaten at a 5 star restaurant. One of my sons says the food starts out good and gets worse each day because they are unstacking the boxes. :D
"I've cruise enough to know the food probably won't be good"....When I read comments like these on a post my one and only thought is god help the crew that has to deal with passengers such as yourself....:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

And the parents of these kids should tone them down and teach them to have consideration for others. No .. its not "what they do" .. unless they have wuss parents.

Yep. This is true. And this comes from the mom of three - two of whom were squealing, screaming little girls. I always had to remind them to consider others and tone it down.

Maryln, thanks for posting this review.

Your writing style is different from most and because of that I'm enjoying it.

I totally agree about what people are saying about little girls. We will have our (typical love-to-scream) 6 & 4 year old granddaughters next week but fortunately our son and DIL have trained them to consider others (if they are reminded:D).

Looking forward to the photos.:)

I see these comments whenever someone says the food was not great. Why should I have my expectation of good food adjusted down so I won't be disappointed? If the food is not good as shared by OP then it's not great period for them. No one should have to go into the cruise expecting bad food. Let the OP share "their" thoughts without reproach.

I don't think anyone should lower their expectations. I think people should have realistic expectations about where they are going in relation to what they can expect to be served. The food in the MDR on a mass market cruise ship with 5000 passengers is not fine dining. It's hotel / banquet food at best. They're preparing meals for thousands at once in the MDR. I think it's unrealistic to expect them to prepare thousands of gourmet quality (fine dining) meals for the masses in the MDR. I do, however, think one has a reasonable expectation of a higher quality meal when paying a premium to dine in a specialty venue on the ship.

"I've cruise enough to know the food probably won't be good"....When I read comments like these on a post my one and only thought is god help the crew that has to deal with passengers such as yourself....:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

Huh? You assume that because the OP doesn't find the food on a cruise ship to be of a high quality, and she tries to adjust her expectations accordingly, that she must somehow be problematic or unpleasant to the crew?

Absolutely stupid....

I don't think anyone should lower their expectations. I think people should have realistic expectations about where they are going in relation to what they can expect to be served. The food in the MDR on a mass market cruise ship with 5000 passengers is not fine dining. It's hotel / banquet food at best. They're preparing meals for thousands at once in the MDR. I think it's unrealistic to expect them to prepare thousands of gourmet quality (fine dining) meals for the masses in the MDR. I do, however, think one has a reasonable expectation of a higher quality meal when paying a premium to dine in a specialty venue on the ship.

I totally agree with you. But there is a counter position often presented here about the food being "absolutely amazing", etc... Clearly some hardcore cheerleaders just can't handle any real critiques and must advocate for RCI. I think most people need to know EXACTLY what you said. It's hotel / banquet food at best.

I totally agree with you. But there is a counter position often presented here about the food being "absolutely amazing", etc... Clearly some hardcore cheerleaders just can't handle any real critiques and must advocate for RCI. I think most people need to know EXACTLY what you said. It's hotel / banquet food at best.

This is true. I take all reviews with a grain of salt, both the good ones and the bad. They're all just one person's opinion. I definitely think going into a vacation with reasonable expectations will help one not be terribly disappointed. After all, you can't go to a beach all day and not expect sand to get in your .... well, you get the picture. It's all in knowing what you're buying. If you buy a week on a floating amusement park, you're going to find crowds, noise, children, and banquet style food. And that's okay as long as you know that going in. We'll be back on Oasis in November, and I can hardly wait. ;)

I see these comments whenever someone says the food was not great. Why should I have my expectation of good food adjusted down so I won't be disappointed? If the food is not good as shared by OP then it's not great period for them. No one should have to go into the cruise expecting bad food. Let the OP share "their" thoughts without reproach.

First off, I never said to go into a cruise expecting bad food or to adjust your expectation for good food. I just said to have reasonable expectations. It is alright to have different opinions regarding food, and I was telling it how it is. Sure, it isn't food that would be served in a 5-star restaurant, but the food is perfectly suitable for many people. Some find the food deplorable, some find it fair, some find it good, some find it great, and some find it excellent.

And second, I was providing my feedback to another poster who was worried about the quality of food. I was not putting my thoughts out there to contradict the OP's review. I just wanted to provide additional info to help that poster see the opinions from two different people and show that the food can be terrible for one person, but great for another...

And this right here is why I usually don't bother to participate in these sort of threads.

Considering tapas are supposed to be Spanish food, that is a compliment :p

While I myself have no grudges against you not being a Royal cheerleader, I also wondered about your choice of words.

Just because people don't have anything to complain about in their reports, it doesn't mean they are not being honest. Or frank. Or direct.

I myself haven't had much to complain about but I guarantee I've written about the negatives if and when there have been any.

So maybe it's just that people thought you were calling them dishonest compared to yourself. We all know how well THAT goes down in this forum :rolleyes:;)

Do wish though that you'll find out soon how to post photos!!

I used "honest" to let you know that I would have some complaints. It was mostly for people who don't want to hear anything negative. Clearly I had a great time and I liked the ship very much.

I apologize for causing controversy by using the word honest.

First off, I never said to go into a cruise expecting bad food or to adjust your expectation for good food. I just said to have reasonable expectations. It is alright to have different opinions regarding food, and I was telling it how it is. Sure, it isn't food that would be served in a 5-star restaurant, but the food is perfectly suitable for many people. Some find the food deplorable, some find it fair, some find it good, some find it great, and some find it excellent.

And second, I was providing my feedback to another poster who was worried about the quality of food. I was not putting my thoughts out there to contradict the OP's review. I just wanted to provide additional info to help that poster see the opinions from two different people and show that the food can be terrible for one person, but great for another...

And this right here is why I usually don't bother to participate in these sort of threads.

Our friend that traveled with us loved the food at every restaurant. He had 3 plates for breakfast one morning. He didn't have one single complaint. I'm not sure he actually tasted the food at the rate he was shoveling it down. :D

Do you do any research before you travel?

In the past I used to research for months. I always read cruise critic of course and I like to read Trip Advisor. I find you will get the most direct opinion. I also know that some people can't be pleased no matter what and some people love everything no matter what. I've read several reviews on Oasis of the Seas and it was on par with what I've read for me.

I'm really enjoying your cruise review and sense of humor. Do you by chance have some NY in you? The humor is the same; snarky and sarcastic; love it. Keep it coming!

I hope to go on an Oasis class cruise once, just to try it. It will certainly be more about the ship than the ports.

Also, as far as dining, just give your opinion as you experienced it. Once we went to Ruth Chris in NY and not my first time there, 4 couples and all ordered Filet Mignon. Our friends still rave about it, but my piece of meat was awful, with fat and grizzle. I just got unlucky but never said a word or caused a scene ... sh** happens. Would I go back? ... only if someone else pays, lol; still not worth the price even for a good piece of meat.

I'm not sure why you think I'm rude to the crew. It's not the wait staffs fault that food is mass produced and under seasoned or dry. It's not the seating staffs fault the system is flawed. I never saw one single staff member in the restaurants doing anything less that their best. Those people were working their tails off. I don't complain or ask for something different. I just push it aside, thank the server and go to the show.

I'll take this opportunity to say that it's not a personal insult to anyone if you like the food and I didn't. I know it's not reasonable to expect good food on any cruise ship. You can't feed that many people and have food that will please everyone. My comments are jokes intended to make the best of a less than pleasant dining experience.

I am not a problem cruiser. I'm thoughtful to the staff and a damn good tipper. Obviously I love it or I wouldn't keep cruising.

I'm really enjoying your cruise review and sense of humor. Do you by chance have some NY in you? The humor is the same; snarky and sarcastic; love it. Keep it coming!

I hope to go on an Oasis class cruise once, just to try it. It will certainly be more about the ship than the ports.

Also, as far as dining, just give your opinion as you experienced it. Once we went to Ruth Chris in NY and not my first time there, 4 couples and all ordered Filet Mignon. Our friends still rave about it, but my piece of meat was awful, with fat and grizzle. I just got unlucky but never said a word or caused a scene ... sh** happens. Would I go back? ... only if someone else pays, lol; still not worth the price even for a good piece of meat.

I'm not from NY but we have Ruth Chris in Texas. My experience with that restaurant was that it was nice and the food was tasty (however I didn't get a fatty hunk of meat) but not worth the $$$$.