Bidding strategy at art auctions

Lou33

Same here. We avoid them. Read to many articles when we googled info about those auctions. Lots of litigation and customer disputes. There must be fantastic margin in this because all the ships seem to have this annoying (to us) activity.

With a little research, a cruise line passenger can locate local artists' collectives in distant lands, connect with them beforehand (to determine what they carry and the price range), receive photos of potential purchase and then set an appointment time for viewing.

In a non-tourist area of Puerto Vallarta, we scored a mini-beaded Jaguar head done by a premier artist of that genre (piece also certified) for significantly less than the best deal we could get from an importer on something similar here in SF.

Doing the research assured authenticity and value.

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for (and sometimes that payment is your research time rather than your money).

The trick at these "art" auctions is to drink a lot do that the "art" looks like "art". Just do not take a bidding card or you might end up with some of the "art".

I do buy stuff on cruises although not for a lot of money. I buy from local artists at the places I am visiting. Then I have something that reminds me of my visit and I am supporting the local economy.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

It is faux art, pretend, not the real thing, and that it is worth something. That is why it matters. They prey on naive passengers.

I'm sorry you are WRONG.

I have seen SOME very good value. And I know what I am talking about. Not a lot of original artwork that s worth buying but some. And some of the lithographs are great value f you bare after decoration not investment, though even some of them show a better return than inflation.

I don't buy anything for my walls based on any appraisals. If I buy a print, a poster, a photograph, an original work, it's because I want to put it on my wall to enjoy looking at it and it's at a price I'm willing to pay for it.

Exactly and

I've never seen anyone forced to attend or held at gun point till they buy.

If you really want a souvenir of your trip, you should purchase art in ports from local artists and then frame them at home.

That's exactly what we do! and we have some wonderful travel art in our home. Usually the frames cost more than the art!

I find it funny how many feel compelled to come to this thread and say how bad the Art Auctions are.

If you don't like them DON'T go, pretty simple.

Obviously a lot of people like them and a lot of people spend at them.

Another issue is the raffle. I remember they charge about $40 shipping and handling. We would be hesitant to claim the winning ticket. What if the price of the painting isn't worth the price of shipping? And we probably don't like that particular painting anyway?

On the last cruise we went to the lecture on art. We got our free champagne (the other free drink was next day at the auction) and won a raffle ticket! Our winning was $500 off some art package. My goodness, I don't have that much money to spend to get $500 off. We didn't even tell them it's our number.

To get art you go to the art gallery where you live. To get cheap imitations to amuse your friends to let them laugh behind your back... why not to enlarge your travel photos instead and hang them on the walls? At the very least I know these are my originals, ones-of-kinds, and we can talk/brag about places visited!

I'm sorry you are WRONG.

I have seen SOME very good value. And I know what I am talking about. Not a lot of original artwork that s worth buying but some. And some of the lithographs are great value f you bare after decoration not investment, though even some of them show a better return than inflation.

That's exactly what we do! and we have some wonderful travel art in our home. Usually the frames cost more than the art!

Exactly. If you like it and think it's worth it, buy it. If you think you are buying something that is investment worthy, I've got a bridge to sell you, but the prices they charge for some of their framed pieces are really inexpensive, just considering the cost of framing. We've bought a few pieces, and we've avoided the shipping costs by carrying off the pieces ourselves (this only works if you aren't getting on to an airplane of course!).

Agree unless you use my method. I bought a mat cutter for $100 and I find stock frames that work with my pictures. I then buy uncut mats or pick one from my stock of half used mats and cut the mat to fit the mat to fit the picture and the frame.

I have saved the cost of the mat cutter several times over.

If I could find a good local source for uncut frames, I would even but a frame cutter. Then all I would have to buy is the glass.

DON

I wish I was handy enough to frame my own pictures! But I simply am not ... and neither is Mr Chew. Of course, some of the street art we have purchased does fit in standard frames, and they usually aren't too expensive.

Many years ago, when my now-adult children were in elem school, many schools in this area held art auctions as fund-raisers. Very different from what we've seen on the ships! Prices were extremely reasonable, and some people would buy various pieces just to get the frames!! Literally, they would get their print, remove it from the frame, hold up the print "anyone want this?" and just give it away and take the frame home!

We have some beautiful & fun artwork from those auctions ... we even purchased an oil painting of Cinque Terre (sp?) before we even knew where or what it was!!