I am starting a thread on cruiseline T.V. ads ,what do you think

dolittle

I want to ask you all about this because I have been seeing these new ads for M.S.C. I guess they are O.K. but they seem a little general to me ,I am not sure why I would go with M.S.C. over other lines but I guess it is getting there name out there. It seems to me there is not much rhyme or reason to different lines T.V. buys some have a lot of T.V. (Carnival, Royal Caribbean ) some have almost none (Holland , X, Princess).I have also noticed a lot for the river lines I think more than any M.M.line which seems odd to me. Have you noticed anything about ads and do they sway you to one line over another. Which ads were the best and which were not working for you. I would like to hear others views on this topic .

I never see many ads for cruise lines. I remember seeing some from Carnival many years ago, a few from RCI (usually when they are having a promo) more recently, and once in awhile an ad for NCL. I only see Viking ads on PBS (have never seen any other river cruise ads).

Although I usually pay more attention to cruise ads than others, none have enticed me to book that particular cruise line.

I always regard advertising not as an offer to sell but as an invitation to inquire. Because legally speaking that's all an advertisement is no matter how firm the offer may sound (under US laws at least). What company I do choose to inquire with will be decided based on my own information gathering and not the frantically edited media conceived by a twentysomething kid who just finished wasting his education (and his parents' money) as a Marketing major.

My opinion of cruise line adverts? At least they are not as annoying as the insurance companies...yet.

Edited by fishywood

I always regard advertising not as an offer to sell but as an invitation to inquire. Because legally speaking that's all an advertisement is no matter how firm the offer may sound (under US laws at least). What company I do choose to inquire with will be decided based on my own information gathering and not the frantically edited media conceived by a twentysomething kid who just finished wasting his education (and his parents' money) as a Marketing major.

My opinion of cruise line adverts? At least they are not as annoying as the insurance companies...yet.

But to all intents and purposes does it matter if an ad is an invitation to treat or an offer to sell, other than in terms of the creation of a contract and when it comes into existence?

The UK doesn't get many TV cruise ads at all, but this ad 2 years ago is responsible for me booking our first cruise so essentially it was successful:

the only cruise ads I have seen this year from P&O UK with a well known UK comedian:

However I just found this ad from the US for this year while searching for the above videos and its fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xQ-HyzAgRk

Edited by Velvetwater

When I want to see cruise line advertisements.... I go to YouTube. On demand when I want to see it and more indepth.

Edited by xlxo

We never watch live TV anymore. We record everything on our DVRs (which allows us to record 7 programs at once) and watch them at our convenience. This also allows us to skip over TV ads. I don't notice what is being advertised, cruising or something else. They could place ads every 15 minutes and it wouldn't make a difference.

I want to ask you all about this because I have been seeing these new ads for M.S.C. I guess they are O.K. but they seem a little general to me ,I am not sure why I would go with M.S.C. over other lines but I guess it is getting there name out there. It seems to me there is not much rhyme or reason to different lines T.V. buys some have a lot of T.V. (Carnival, Royal Caribbean ) some have almost none (Holland , X, Princess).I have also noticed a lot for the river lines I think more than any M.M.line which seems odd to me. Have you noticed anything about ads and do they sway you to one line over another. Which ads were the best and which were not working for you. I would like to hear others views on this topic .

I agree, the do seem a little general. I'd be interested to see what Princess would put if they would do a TV ad. That being said, I don't think an ad would sway me, since in general I don't get swayed by TV ads.

Right on fishy. Those insurance ads can be dreadful!

Others views?

I could care less. Too many other important issues to consider.

Hey, you asked for others views. Otherwise I would have just skipped altogether.

Hey thanks for letting me know there are'' more important'' issues out there Maybe you can get back to them .

I agree, the do seem a little general. I'd be interested to see what Princess would put if they would do a TV ad. That being said, I don't think an ad would sway me, since in general I don't get swayed by TV ads.

Here ya go...

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=latest+princess+cruises+commercial&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

Are you an AD exe. taking a survey about viewer watching??:confused: or doing a graduate study on online questions??? If the answer is Yes to either question...I think it's cute:) I'm a 30 yr retired teacher...just wondering:cool: