Why would anyone buy UDP?

ndabunka

I have seen the post by people on here about how "great UDP was/is" but I guess I just don't get the accounting.

UDP is $140/pp which works out to $20/night for each and every night which means... drumroll... that you are essentially paying IN ADVANCE for the program. Sure, you "could" split all your dinners between Cagney's & the Teppanyaki restaurants and benefit from about $40 in cost savings but ...... who would ACTUALLY do that?

Isn't the POINT of having so many dinning options kinda the reason we cruise? My wife prefers the buffet over others options as it gives the kids lots of choices and we can cantor into the buffet without having to scramble from a tour to the cabin to get dressed which burns up an hour or two before we even get to dinner?

Sure, we like to go to a nice steakhouse or get dressed up here or there but we can simply do that ONE or TWO nights and save about 65% of the UDP fee.

Signed - I don't get it:confused:

We wouldn't buy it, but it has to do with the quality of the food more than the cost. The specialty restaurants just aren't worth the extra cost, IMO.

I agree 100%. OP, why do you have to get it? It doesn't work for you so why expend the mental energy? I don't get that.

We love the UDP, it works for us. We haven't eaten in a main dining room in 2 years and we get to have our favorite dishes on NCL, sometimes more than once. :)

It's not mental energy it's basic math. You are only saving about $20 when you buy it in advance so we could eat at Cagney's 3 times and Le Bistro 3 times and basically pay the same as the UDP so in the end it almost works out to a "buy 6 specialty dinners at the regular price and you get the seventh one ...FREE" Yeah?

However, your point about favorite dishes is understandable and applicable to this discussion. However, for those of us with smaller kids who tend to turn their nose up at escargot and lobster, the MDR or buffet's may offer greater options for $140 less per person.

PS - We DO eat in a specialty restaurants a couple of times a cruise and don't mind paying the minor fees. It makes sense for Cagney's and Le Bistro on Lobster night but would be a waste (for us) most other nights.

Edited by ndabunka

The point for me is that it saves me a little bit of money and I'm a planner. So, I purchased it on my last cruise and then made my reservations. When I changed a Jasmine Garden reservation to Cagney's while on the ship, it was easy and there were no adjustments that needed to be made despite the difference in price. I like to plan ahead, so having the UDP paid for and my reservations made before I board is nice for me.

Now that NCL has gone to the SDP instead of UDP, I'm thinking I'll purchase the six-night plan for my upcoming 10-day cruise. The cost of the six-day plan with gratuity added is $144.80. If I were to pay as I go at the same restaurants I plan to eat in, I would pay $165.20 with gratuities. So, $20 saved. Not a big deal, but it's nice to save even a little.

I also pay my DSC in advance and I get absolutely NO savings for doing that. Doesn't that just boggle the mind? ;)

Last cruise with NCL we ate in speciality restaurants 10 nights out of 12 so would definitely buy it. Also with the introduction of A La Carte pricing it would be cheaper to buy the new speciality package. Next cruise it is part of promo but as we prefer the smaller restaurants to the MDR and if it was not included in future would buy in advance.

We bought it once for a 7 day cruise (only 2 people on the cruise). It was $119 I believe, and it came with the Circus dinner and show, which was worth $40. That right there was most of the reason we got it. Now we were down to $80, and 6 specialty dining meals for $80 was obviously a great deal. We did the Italian 1 time, the Brazilian 1 time, Teppanyaki 2 times and Cagney's 2 times. It was something we enjoyed doing, but probably wouldn't do it again. Cagney's twice is good enough for us. I liked trying the other restaurants but none stood out as something we had to do again, except Cagney's which is always a hit.

I took the UDP for our cruise on the Escape in Aug 2016 because it is a 13 day cruise and also was free. I have only gone to one or two special on the Norwegian ships so far so why not use it. We eat early so this will mean the late shows for us.

Edited by chet the jet

UDP is a no brainier for me. I don't enjoy the food in the main finding room for dinner. We eat at the buffet for lunch and breakfast most days, do a specialty restaurant every night. Cagneys at least twice on a weeklong cruise. Love the discount at the sushi bar, and ocean blue on the waterfront, etc. That makes it well with the $119 we paid. Would probably still be worth it at $140.

We purchased the UDP on a couple of cruises, and also took it as the package. We don't have kids in tow, my wife doesn't like the buffet, so for us it makes sense. We get a Platinum discount which makes up for the Le Bistro meal we get anyway, so it's a reasonable purchase for us. For you, it doesn't make sense. Freestyle cruising.

Why are you trying to make our decision seem incorrect?

I could ask, Why would anyone bring their kids on a cruise? How are you ever going to relax if you have to watch the kids all the time? How are you going to go to late shows if the kids have to be in bed? Isn't the whole point of cruising all the entertainment?

Edited by xriva

Is it still confirmed that you can get unlimited extra entrees at Cagney's and Le Bistro PLUS the add-ons such as lobster tail for free with the UDP?

Because that's what made it worth it for me last time at $119, and it would still be worth it to me this time at $140.

Otherwise I may not be saving enough money to justify committing myself to a specialty every night (in case someone gets sick or too tired for a sit down meal).

I never eat in the MDR though.

Is it still confirmed that you can get unlimited extra entrees at Cagney's and Le Bistro PLUS the add-ons such as lobster tail for free with the UDP?

Because that's what made it worth it for me last time at $119, and it would still be worth it to me this time at $140.

Otherwise I may not be saving enough money to justify committing myself to a specialty every night (in case someone gets sick or too tired for a sit down meal).

Only one entree, I believe. $10.00 extra if you want another entree. Add-ons are included.

Harriet

Only one entree, I believe. $10.00 extra if you want another entree. Add-ons are included.

Harriet

Did this change?

Because in August 2014, I was definitely able to order unlimited entrees with the UDP, and they weren't bending the rules for me or anything.

Did this change?

Because in August 2014, I was definitely able to order unlimited entrees with the UDP, and they weren't bending the rules for me or anything.

There are two specialty restaurants that with the UDP you can only order one entree....and if you want a 2nd entree, the charge is $10.00.

http://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

2nd to last on the page:

Q. ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE?

A. No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entrée charges also apply for dining at Cagney’s Steakhouse and Le Bistro.

You said you did this in 2014 so I don't know what the rules were then....except I do know there was not an 18% gratuity and service charge at that time...where, now there is.

Harriet

Last year when in a GV and dined in our cabin, we ordered steak from Cagney's and lobster tail from LeBistro for dinner on the same night. We all had the UDP and no extra charges.

Granted, that isn't ordering a second entree at the same restaurant, but it was two entrees for each person at the same time.

The only reason we did that was because our butler recommended the lobster tail at LeBistro over the one at Cagney's.

Never understood the additional cost for a second entree if you could go to multiple restaurants the same night with the UDP. If NCL limited the package to one restaurant pp/per night then I can see why they'd have an additional charge.

Never understood the additional cost for a second entree if you could go to multiple restaurants the same night with the UDP. If NCL limited the package to one restaurant pp/per night then I can see why they'd have an additional charge.

And...that's exactly what they've done. Changed the UDP to the SDP. Now, you pay for how many days you want the Specialty Dining Package. I believe with the SDP you can only go to one specialty restaurant per day. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Harriet

And...that's exactly what they've done. Changed the UDP to the SDP. Now, you pay for how many days you want the Specialty Dining Package. I believe with the SDP you can only go to one specialty restaurant per day. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Harriet

I believe you are right. For instance, if you buy the "4 day" I think you are paying for 4 meals. It takes them off your bill right at the restaurant, assuming it works like UDP did. Once 4 meals are taken off, you are done. I think you could go to 2 in one night, but that would use 2 of your 4 meals.

Here is a better question: Does anyone think that whatever is covered by SDP today, July 2015, will be what is covered by SDP when the restaurants switch to a la carte in 2016? Are they still going to allow you to order any amount of apps/sides/desserts or will a limit be imposed and you are charged a la carte over the limit?

I think a lot of people are on the fence because this has not been clarified, so you if buy SDP now for 2016 and beyond you may not know what you are getting for your purchase.

If it wasn't included in the promotion, I'd agree with you and we'd probably eat at MDRs and buffet and maybe splurge one or two nights. But in our case, it's part of the package, so there's no cost other than mandatory auto gratuities and we have a few extra choices and we don't have to worry about raking up a bill.

I have seen the post by people on here about how "great UDP was/is" but I guess I just don't get the accounting.

UDP is $140/pp which works out to $20/night for each and every night which means... drumroll... that you are essentially paying IN ADVANCE for the program. Sure, you "could" split all your dinners between Cagney's & the Teppanyaki restaurants and benefit from about $40 in cost savings but ...... who would ACTUALLY do that?

Isn't the POINT of having so many dinning options kinda the reason we cruise? My wife prefers the buffet over others options as it gives the kids lots of choices and we can cantor into the buffet without having to scramble from a tour to the cabin to get dressed which burns up an hour or two before we even get to dinner?

Sure, we like to go to a nice steakhouse or get dressed up here or there but we can simply do that ONE or TWO nights and save about 65% of the UDP fee.

What's to "get"? This is really very simple. You ask: "Why would anyone buy UDP?", and the answer is obvious: "Because they want to." That's it. Nothing more complex than that.

Don't try to make sense of it, there is no end to what people will buy simply because they "want to" . . .

pet_rock.jpg

yup, first le bistro's $10 extras is still free.

lobster tail add-on at cagneys SHOULD be free according to posters here. but I have yet to try it.

and you can buy udp for $119 onboard (gem)!

which kinda sucks for those people that pre-bought online at $140. :(

ncl is teaching us there's no point of buying ahead of time.

Edited by fstuff1

yup, first le bistro's $10 extras is still free.

lobster tail add-on at cagneys SHOULD be free according to posters here. but I have yet to try it.

and you can buy udp for $119 onboard (gem)!

which kinda sucks for those people that pre-bought online at $140. :(

ncl is teaching us there's no point of buying ahead of time.

I must have missed it, because I haven't seen anything where you can purchase it onboard without paying the 18 percent gratuity, which brings the total to $140. Could you please show everyone how they can do it.

We are suite guests so we will be eating breakfast each morning in Cagney's and have the option of eating there for lunch as well so not certain there is much value for us as there may be for others.

What on earth does eating breakfast/lunch at Cagneys (on some ships its Modernos) have to do with eating DINNER at Cagneys? Different atmosphere. Different menu. Different experience.

-dianne

Some said yes and some said no, no where can you find if is true or not. :mad:

I must have missed it, because I haven't seen anything where you can purchase it onboard without paying the 18 percent gratuity, which brings the total to $140. Could you please show everyone how they can do it.

oh.. the $140 includes the 18% tip?

opps.. sorry then

Just off the GA and UDP worked well for us..cost 119 + 18% = 141

Ate at Le Bistro twice (lobster) value= 60 +18%

Cagneys..30+ 18%, Moderno 20+18%, Teppanyaki = 30+18%, Cucina 20+18%

We wanted to try all of these as first time Norwegians, and overall saved nearly $50 plus a discount on the Illusionarium (wish it were still included)

The food was great and a terrific value for us.