Caribe deck

lbfluffy

I keep reading how the Caribe deck balcony is a lot bigger than the other balconies. I booked a BF guarantee on the Grand. I asked my TA how much more for a balcony on the Caribe deck and she said the BF could very well end up on the Caribe deck. So she did not give me a quote. I do not care where we are that is why we got the guarantee, but if the Caribe deck is a lot better than maybe I should check the price. Just wondering. Thanks for your help.

I keep reading how the Caribe deck balcony is a lot bigger than the other balconies. I booked a BF guarantee on the Grand. I asked my TA how much more for a balcony on the Caribe deck and she said the BF could very well end up on the Caribe deck. So she did not give me a quote. I do not care where we are that is why we got the guarantee, but if the Caribe deck is a lot better than maybe I should check the price. Just wondering. Thanks for your help.

Chances of your gty ending up on Caribe deck are slim. IMO

Yes they are bigger half covered balconies. If you want one you better book it and mark the booking no upgrade.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

While it's possible to be upgraded to Caribe from the lowest category (we were) it's always better to book it now if you really want it. They are the best balconies on board with the exception of the Emerald mini balconies, IMO.

Standard balcony for that ship is 9 by 5, and Caribe balcony is 9 by 9. That's even bigger than the mini suite at 9 by 7. If you want the big ol' balcony, and can afford it, book it.

Don't dream of the upgrade that probably won't happen (we've been on 12 cruises and never received an upgrade). Book the cabin you want, if you can afford it.

Jim

IMO, it really depends on what you want to do on your balcony if it's worth the extra cost. I've had a Caribe balcony 3X and they are great if you like to move around or play cards, which we like to do because you get less wind under the covered area and the cards don't blow around. They are also great for the balcony breakfast or dinner because of the larger table. But if you just want some fresh air and a place to have coffee in the morning and a drink in the evening, a regular balcony is just fine.

I asked my TA to check price on Caribe. She responds like this.

Your BF category may very well end up on the Caribe deck. Same room as what you have .

I'd be looking for another TA. You didn't ask for their opinion. You asked for some information. :rolleyes:

Your BF category may very well end up on the Caribe deck. Same room as what you have .

And you very well may not - there are no guarantees with a guarantee.

My personal oppinion is as long as you can be happy with a regular balcony on any deck, forward, aft, and in between, then why not just let it ride out and see what you end up with? On the other hand, if you now have your expectations set for a Caribe balcony and anything else will be dissapointing, then you need to rethink what you have booked.

Your TA does not have a crystal ball - she is only guessing.

BTW, this last cruise I had a Caribe balcony on the Grand and on my 11 night last September on Star Princess I was in a obstructed OV,(with a great view.) I had just as much fun last September as I did this year. A balcony is not the key to success with an Alaskan cruise, IMHO.

Edited by mek

You book a BF GTY for a lower rate so they can place you anywhere on the ship they want you. I've done it and been upgraded, and even traded the new cabin for one like it on the Caribe deck. You can also pick a specific BF cabin anywhere you want, but it will cost you a little more.

We only book the Caribe deck because of the larger balcony. We spend time on our balcony. We have coffee out there, wine in the evening, and sometimes just go out there and sit when nothing else on the ship is going on. If you don't plan to spend time out there, then don't pay the extra, just go with the balcony on any deck. Stay away from any cabin that's under the Lido deck. You'll get noise from MUTS, people walking, and moving chairs.

If you want to see the difference in price, just go to the princess website without signing in and start the booking process for your cruise and when you get to the Pick your own cabin part, go there and see what the price is for one of those Caribe balcony cabins. Typically a few hundred $$ more than your GTY. Do not completely give up and an upgrade as sometimes they do not sell as well due to the price ( they are classified as Deluxe Balcony Cabin)

Anyway, check it out.

Dixon

Unless your TA can guarantee that, don't count on it. The Caribe deck is a popular deck because of the larger balconies. As someone mentioned, if you do upgrade to the Caribe, get it down "NO UPGRADES". Princess will come back and offer you a so-called up grade to the Aloha deck that is right below Lido. Don't fall for that! It's a downgrade IMHO.

Thank you for the suggestions. I emailed my TA again to get the price. What is the best area to get on the Caiibe deck if I decide to change.

To clarify an earlier post, the Caribe balcony cabins themselves are the same size inside as those on other decks, it is just the outdoor balconies themselves that are larger.

Most, if not all, Caribe deck balconies are "sandwiched" cabins. They have other cabins (as opposed to potentially noisy public or crew areas) above and below them. So with that concern out of the way, you can choose based on location preference. Mid-ship cabins are the most expensive; they get cheaper as you go forward and aft, with the exception of a few higher-priced aft facing cabins (overlooking the wake of the ship).

The mid-ship cabins will have the smoothest ride, the aft cabins are preferred by many for convenience to pools and dining venues, and forward cabins are convenient to the front elevators and staircases which often have less traffic than those mid and aft. You will get more motion fore and aft, but I have been far forward on Grand-class ships in moderate seas and had no problem. Of course YMMV.

Hope this helps :)!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Thank you. So I see the Caribe balcony deck balconies are different categories. So all balconies on Caribe deck are bigger than the other decks? Thanks all for your help!!

Yes they are all the same size on Caribe deck and bigger then all the other reg balcony cabins. ;)

We have tried balcony cabins all over the ship. If you really spend time on your balcony, a Caribe balcony is the way to go. HUGE compared to other balconies. On our upcoming cruise we have 3 at sea days so we booked Caribe mid-ship. On at sea days, I spend half the day just sitting and reading and looking at the ocean flow by. Can't think of a better way to while away the hours. :rolleyes:

To clarify an earlier post, the Caribe balcony cabins themselves are the same size inside as those on other decks, it is just the outdoor balconies themselves that are larger.

The balcony on Caribe is larger. The inside of the cabin is the same as any other balcony cabin. ;)

LuLu

I believe that is what I said, just with a few unnecessary words :).

Yup, you did. Sometimes I wonder if some posters chime in to boost their posting count, but I also appreciate that some questions that are not black&white answerable and may help the OP be convinced they have the right answer if >1 poster gives them that answer. IMO, it's kind of a fine line where an answer is backed up and supported versus extra people just chiming in and have to scroll down past it all to find something new that is said.

A couple of flame-throwers may have just been lit, and I just say to each their own on CC. Sometimes I do find certain threads have repetitive posts and could be less to weed through. Just my opinion is all. We should appreciate that several experts do devote considerable time day after day after day responding to posts. Me? I tend to be on regularly when I have a cruise coming up and then I go away not long after returning home until the next cruise comes along, or I want to check into something.

Thank you. So I see the Caribe balcony deck balconies are different categories. So all balconies on Caribe deck are bigger than the other decks? Thanks all for your help!!
Yep, and right now on your sailing your BF guarantee sells for the exact same price as a BE room, some of which are on Caribe deck forward. So if your TA had any brains at all she would have told you that info when you asked about a Caribe deck balcony and made you a happy customer. To have not even answered your question, much less bothered to look for you and give you the cost is flat out poor service.

You book a BF GTY for a lower rate so they can place you anywhere on the ship they want you. I've done it and been upgraded, and even traded the new cabin for one like it on the Caribe deck. You can also pick a specific BF cabin anywhere you want, but it will cost you a little more.

The price of a specific BF cabin is exactly the same price as a BF guarantee.

Yup, you did. Sometimes I wonder if some posters chime in to boost their posting count, but I also appreciate that some questions that are not black&white answerable and may help the OP be convinced they have the right answer if >1 poster gives them that answer. IMO, it's kind of a fine line where an answer is backed up and supported versus extra people just chiming in and have to scroll down past it all to find something new that is said...

It is a fine line sometimes in deciding whether or not to respond to a post. I try to ask myself first if I am actually contributing or clarifying, or just chiming in. I try never to post just to chime in to a prior post unless I feel a poster has been unfairly treated or has been extremely clever, and IMO deserving of support or praise. I personally couldn't care less about my post count :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Caribe deck balconies in the aft or forward section are categorized as Balcony, once you hit the Mid-Aft; Midship & Mid-forward they go up to Premium Balcony. So if you can find one in the aft/forward and don't mind the walking you can save $$$$$ and still get the Caribe Balcony!

We have booked a caribe balcony aft on the Coral for Panama. I know these balconies are larger, but my main concern is whether they are covered. Does anyone know if the Caribe balconies on the Coral Princess are covered?