Insurance ?

Not sure if its ok to ask this or not but, we are flying to FLL for a crusie and we booked our own flight. I added the cruise care with RC but was told they would not cover our cruise if our plane causes us not to make it. Is there any options anywhere else.

I thought that if you book the air thru Royal Caribbean's Choice Air and if the flight was delayed causing you to miss the ship that they would get you to the ship at no cost to you?

I always book my air thru them.

Not sure if its ok to ask this or not but, we are flying to FLL for a crusie and we booked our own flight. I added the cruise care with RC but was told they would not cover our cruise if our plane causes us not to make it. Is there any options anywhere else.

I'd get third party insurance that covers problms with flights.

Look at insuremytrip.com

I usually purchase CSA or Travelguard, but lately I've been purchasing the cheapest one I can find. Just be sure to read through the policy online so you know exactly what you are covered for. You also have 10 days to cancel the policy if you decide you don't want it. I've done that twice and it worked out fine.

I.......was told they would not cover our cruise if our plane causes us not to make it. Is there any options anywhere else.

That's one of the best reasons to insure through a third party, instead of with the cruise line. A third party insurance will also give you benefits if your luggage is lost or delayed, or if you miss your connection. Find a third party insurance on insuremytrip.com

As somebody else said, maybe the best insurance for a missed connection is to arrive at least a day early.

It's always OK to ask a question :) But it would help us to better answer you if we knew when your cruise is (because deadlines matter to this topic). As you've already purchased your airline tickets, suggestions to arrive a day early are a moot point -- but something to file away for next time.

It's true, when you book your own airfare, the cruise lines insurance wont cover it. Your options will depend on when you sail. I don't actually know at what point the insurance you have can no longer be canceled. If you've made final payment, my bet is that you're stuck with it (this time). Sorry, I don't know the 'rules' as I never do it this way. But you could call and ask if the insurance can still be removed from the reservation. If so, the cost would be deducted from the balance due and you can pursue another route.

If you are able to cancel the existing cruise line insurance, check out InsureMyTrip.com. I have used them for 10+ years, you get a lot better coverage for less money. Just be sure to include your airfare cost when calculating your total trip cost so that everything is covered. They have lots of carriers with lots of coverage options, and they also show customer satisfaction ratings for each carrier as well (to help you choose). There's a customer service number on their website, you could even call and ask about insuring just the airfare in the event you cannot cancel the cruise line insurance. No idea if that's a viable option, but maybe.

Good luck.

Good question (OP) and thanks for the answers. I tentatively bought insurance from RCCL and was thinking it would cover flight problems. Good to know that it doesn't. I am flying out a day ahead, but it's in December and there could be weather related issues (snow) so even a 'day ahead' doesn't always cover that trip. I am going to checkout that website. Thanks.

One point, Cruise Care has a "75% cancel for any reason " clause that others do not. I have started using it because as an airline employee I fly free but on standby. If I don't get there I can always get 75% back (well really credited to another cruise). Other than that, I would only miss a cruise for covered reasons or if, for some reason, I couldn't get the days off. I that was the case, the 75% clause would again be used.

My advice, is always check other policies. Insuremytrip is the best, IMHO, to do this. But decide on the most likely reason that you will miss your cruise and get insurance accordingly. We once cruised with my military son and his wife. Due to world situations there was a possibility his leave would be cancelled. My TA found me a policy that would cover "cancellation of military leave" and not only would my son and daughter-in-law get a full refund, but my wife and I had we chosen to not cruise. So there is a policy out there that will cover, at least to some extent, almost any contingency.

I found this out by accident, while looking for travel INS. Most travel insurance the health coverage is secondary,still waiting for BC to pay from last trip so I can use RC's travel health for the rest of it.

Found a policy, cannot find it again, that it health police is not secondary.

It was only a few dollars more, but might be well worth the aggravation that I am still going through.

I found this out by accident, while looking for travel INS. Most travel insurance the health coverage is secondary,still waiting for BC to pay from last trip so I can use RC's travel health for the rest of it.

Found a policy, cannot find it again, that it health police is not secondary.

It was only a few dollars more, but might be well worth the aggravation that I am still going through.

This is almost always the case with one-time or annual travel policies: they consider themselves to be secondary to already existing policies. It's the way they save money on claims. (I worked in the health insurance field for 16 years.)

To the OP: look at your credit card benefits. Many now include trip interruption and cancellation for covered reasons.

Someone else I know found out the hard way that purchasing their insurance through RCCL does not cover the cruise even if you do book your flight through Royal Air or whatever they call their air fare partner or referral. My friends did not meet up with their cruise until day 4 of a seven day cruise, and Royal was very adamant on the "fine print." They will do everything they can to avoid making it right if you book through their suggested carrier.

Buy your own insurance and know what you are buying.

Someone else I know found out the hard way that purchasing their insurance through RCCL does not cover the cruise even if you do book your flight through Royal Air or whatever they call their air fare partner or referral. My friends did not meet up with their cruise until day 4 of a seven day cruise, and Royal was very adamant on the "fine print." They will do everything they can to avoid making it right if you book through their suggested carrier.

Buy your own insurance and know what you are buying.

Cruise Air will fly you to the next port to meet the ship. That is spelled out right up front. Were days 2 and 3 sea days by chance, or was the next stop inside the US? That can be problem too - boarding the ship while it is still in the US.