Airline Check In Night Before Leaving Ship

We haven't flown in years but this summer we will be. We are also taking Southwest which as you know does not assign a seat. I always check in the night before. However last couple times we cruised and had to fly I was able to have the fellow in the Diamond lounge check us in the evening before we departed except for the very last time. If we are not able to do that how can we check our selves in. We really need to do this early so we can be among the first ones called to get on the plan. There are 7 of us...all family. The only thing I can think of is using our Diamond perks for the computer which I have never used....don't even like to think of using the computer while on vacation. Our flight is South West around 12:30 on the day of disembarking. Does anyone have any other thoughts? TIA

We usually pay for the early bird check in for our return flight. There is only 2 of us. It can get expensive for a large group. You could use their computer with your diamond credits. That way you could check in as early as you want.

Bob

So glad you posted this! I had the very same question, only with Delta. (No Luggage Express on CA Cruise, which we always use when available)..

You have assigned seats on Delta, so it does not matter how soon you check-in. I'd purchase the minimum internet package and check-in the evening before the flight.

Technically, you don't have to check-in ahead of time on SWA. You can just show up at the airport and check-in there. Of course you'll likely end up being at the end of the boarding call, but unless the flight is overbooked and you get to the airport late, you'll get home. And if you do get on late and can't sit together, just ask a flight attendant to help - often they will make announcements for you to see if someone will swap seats.

Technically, you don't have to check-in ahead of time on SWA. You can just show up at the airport and check-in there. Of course you'll likely end up being at the end of the boarding call, but unless the flight is overbooked and you get to the airport late, you'll get home. And if you do get on late and can't sit together, just ask a flight attendant to help - often they will make announcements for you to see if someone will swap seats.

For one person I can see that happening but I don't really see that working for seven.

With seven if you want to sit anywhere near each other get early bird for at least four of you. Those four can board with the A group or worst early B. Then hold the other three seats for the rest. And yes it is okay to do this. The flight attendant don't bat an eye at it and it is done all the time. Or check in the day before. If you wait you will be near last to board and sometimes your overhead carry on bins are full. And you will be scattered all over the plane. We love Southwest but this is just something you have to do with them. Still beats paying for bags.if you are talking little kids you really have less options.

Unless all 7 are booked under the same confirmation number I doubt you would even get everyone in the same boarding group. You would have to check each person in separately. With slow ship Internet that would be tough. I would either pay for Early Bird or have someone at home check in and not worry about everyone sitting right next to each other. If there are children involved the flight attendants will make sure they have a seat next to an adult regardless of their boarding assignment.

With seven if you want to sit anywhere near each other get early bird for at least four of you. Those four can board with the A group or worst early B. Then hold the other three seats for the rest.

I agree. Get the early bird for 3-4 of your group and have them hold seats for the rest (4 is probably better).

For one person I can see that happening but I don't really see that working for seven.

Ouch! I guess I just skimmed over the part where the OP has a party of seven. In that case, I guess they should either bite the bullet and pay for internet time to do online check-in, or have a friend at home do it for them. Or, as AUS30 stated, after a week of togetherness on the cruise, they may be ready for some "personal time". :)

I buy the Early Bird too. But, this Memorial Day I just booked it for myself. I did save the seat next to me (a middle). My husband really wasn't that far behind me ( without the EB) and got the aisle seat he wanted.

I agree, buy the EB for 4 and have them save a seat for the other 3.

Bobbi