Enough time to get to the airport?

christina-xxx

We are returning on a Sunday November 1 from a Princess ruby cruise and have a 10:50 am fight out of LAX. Is that enough time to get off the boat and to the airport in enough time? Thanks for the help.

No problem however I would do the self walk off with your luggage and take a cab. (approx $60 up to 4).

We try and always take a 1030 flight.

Could there be issues? Yes if the ship is running late etc.

Have a backup plan.

Personally I would be stressing out with a flight that early. Yes, you might be able to make it with time to spare but then again… if the ship is late or an accident on the freeway. You said it is a Sunday so hopefully less traffic than a week day but still…. it could be tight. Plus you need time in the airport to drop off your luggage and go through security. Lines can be long. Like Colo cruiser said… have a back up plan.

Check to see if your airline participates in the EZ check program. That will get your luggage checked thru to your final destination and gets you your boarding passes. With walkoff and a taxi you should make it and all you have to do at the airport is go to your gate. Agreat program worth the $20.00/pp.

We are returning on a Sunday November 1 from a Princess ruby cruise and have a 10:50 am fight out of LAX. Is that enough time to get off the boat and to the airport in enough time? Thanks for the help.

If everything goes right, you might make it. If the ship isn't late, customs is not backed up, you can get a cab right away, there is no traffic problem on the way to the airport and the ring road inside LAX is moving faster than 2 mph (and moving at all.) Myself, I wouldn't risk it. The last time I was at LAX, it took us 25 minutes to get from the entrance of the airport around the inside road to our terminal. That was midday on a weekday. LAX is big and spread out all over the place. Oh, and the lines at security are always long and slow.

Edited by shredie

This is one of the reasons I went to TSA and got myself on the known traveler's list ($85 for 5 years). If you make it to the airport on time, then it is easier getting through security.

I fly in and out of LAX several times a year. I always make sure that I am at the airport at least 2 hours before my flight. So if my flight is at 10:30, I leave my house (17 miles away) at 7 AM. Most often, I have time to sit in the frequent flier lounge and enjoy the start of my flight.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Check to see if your airline participates in the EZ check program. That will get your luggage checked thru to your final destination and gets you your boarding passes. With walkoff and a taxi you should make it and all you have to do at the airport is go to your gate. Agreat program worth the $20.00/pp.

EZ Check doesn't normally apply for flights before 11 am.

Moot and Mooter.

Princess does not offer EZ Check in Los Angeles.

Edited by fishywood

I call America airlines an see if they offer EZ-check in. That's a good idea. Thanks!

You're flying American? That's Terminal 4. No shortcut to that terminal thru the horseshoe. The road travels counter-clockwise, T4 is at the 10 o'clock position. At times it had taken us 30-45 minutes just to get to the Bradley Terminal at the top of the horseshoe (12 o'clock).

Edited by SadieN

Wow! I'd be VERY stressed out if I had to try to make such an early flight out of LAX.

LAX recommends arriving for check-in two hours before your flight, particularly a morning flight. Lines can be very long and it can take ages to go through Security. Heck, it can take half an hour to just get from the entrance to LAX to the terminal. So, that means arriving at LAX by 9am.

Many times, I've had disembarkation start at 8am or later in San Pedro. Even for self-disembarking passengers. And then you have to go through Immigration and down the escalator with all your luggage... and still have one hand free. This is closely guarded; otherwise, you have to wait for the elevator which can be a long wait. When my daughter was in a wheelchair, we'd wait for up to half an hour for the elevator.

Transportation to LAX can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes, depending on the traffic. Even Sunday. The 405 is notorious for accidents and slowdowns. Add in the time needed to get to the terminal.

Whenever this question is asked, I find it humorous that people who don't live in the LA area say, "No problem" but almost unanimously, those of us who live in the area and deal with LA traffic say, "Book a later flight." When I lived in the Boston area and flew home after a cruise out of San Pedro, I always booked a flight after Noon. Yes, it meant I got home late in the evening. Sometimes I had a wait in LAX for my flight but I'd much rather do that than stress over whether or not I'd make my flight.

I would like to hear from passengers that actually made a 10:30 flight out of LAX after a cruise. I am guessing there aren't many who have successfully made it to their plane without huffing and puffing.

Not being mean or sarcastic. Just looking for validation to taking an early flight.

Of the many cruises I've taken out of San Pedro, the ship was always tied up by 7 AM. I left the ship at 9:15 without any long...long...lines and been out on the street in 30 minutes (that's without stopping to pick up my baggage from the colored rooms). It only takes once....

No problem however I would do the self walk off with your luggage and take a cab. (approx $60 up to 4).

We try and always take a 1030 flight.

Could there be issues? Yes if the ship is running late etc.

Have a backup plan.

Yes, but you lead a charmed life. [emoji12]

Yes, but you lead a charmed life. [emoji12]

No, they are just able to handle their own luggage and be in the first walk off group.

We have had no problems either.

It boils down to being able to handle everything yourself and being first off the ship.

Mike:)

Another native Angeleno voting for change your flight or have a doable Plan B as you'll probably need it. I have seen the 405 bumper to bumper even on weekends. And have been on a ship in San Pedro on which the disembarkation didn't start til 8:45am. Fortunately, our 11:15 departure from the ship wasn't a problem for us as we were just driving back to the Valley.

I would like to hear from passengers that actually made a 10:30 flight out of LAX after a cruise. I am guessing there aren't many who have successfully made it to their plane without huffing and puffing. ....

Well, there's at least one person who claims that every time the question is asked, but since they say the same thing regardless of which port is being asked about, it somewhat diminishes their credibility in my eyes.

Telling a poster (especially one who sounds new to cruising/unfamiliar with the port) to just "be the first off" and "handle all your own luggage" is really not being helpful, since working the system like that sorta requires you to be familiar with the system in the first place. And the longest immigration lines and most close questioning I've ever experienced were in LA; that is one port I'd never count on being able to rush through, even as the first off. Plus, the obvious point: not everyone can be the "first off"; there are always going to be lines.

I am soo tired of these questions of "can I make a XXX o'clock flight?" The cruise lines, who have vast experience in the matter tell you that the earliest flight should be after 12:30 PM.

I know there are those who have been lucky enough to do self debarkation with all their luggage down the stairs, because the elevators are full, have no problem with customs, and get a taxi right away with no traffic problems.

They are in the minority.

Think of being in Ft. Lauderdale airport when the Oasis dumps 6000 passengers in the terminal!