I wonder if it was Royal?

The Royal website is utter trash. The same website that re-prices your cruise if you log in to your account. The one that you can't ever book something through your cruise planner. The one that removed all the sort options for C&A special discount cruises and just shows you a bajillion at once. You know, the crappy Royal website. Carnivals website is a big ol' Easy Button compared to Royals.

but you still talk to someone. A person.

Regardless of input, you talk.

As opposed to type, which makes you come across kind of rude.

I talk to a RCL rep on the phone AFTER I've decided what cruise, stateroom, etc that I would like. By the way "kind of rude"???? How so?:cool:

That's great. So, are you of the opinion that the online booking system is optimal and couldn't use any improvement or rethinking? It's a little unclear. Do you book through RCI? A travel agent? If so, great. But the trend in travel is to not have to do that. Simply put, the cruise industry is behind the times in adopting this practice. While it may be for good reason that they have been reticent, it still doesn't change the fact that they are not where the rest of the travel industry finds themselves.
If you read my posts....I have never used a TA.

The Royal website is utter trash. The same website that re-prices your cruise if you log in to your account. The one that you can't ever book something through your cruise planner. The one that removed all the sort options for C&A special discount cruises and just shows you a bajillion at once. You know, the crappy Royal website. Carnivals website is a big ol' Easy Button compared to Royals.
Maybe you need to be retrained on how to book on the website.....:eek:

Maybe you need to be retrained on how to book on the website.....:eek:

Yes the website reprices invoices when you log in is clearly a user error and not an actual website problem. If only I had your Midas touch[emoji1]

It's really easy for a guy pumping the tires on a cruise line with no ships and no booking website to call other line's sites complicated. Just sayin'...:D Never had a problem with the websites of the four lines we've sailed so far. ;)

Exactly, this is just Marketing 101. ;)

Go on a talk show, talk about how crappy Brand X is and how you will do a better job. You didn't expect him to say Brand X had such a good web site, I hope we can be as successful, did you :what:

I really havent ever had a bookin issue myself, or any issues at all, for that matter... I have a feeling I may be in the minority.

I booked a cruise with Royal in April, and it was the most flawless cruise I have taken. The process was easy. We got the cabin we wanted. We had the dinner time we wanted. Our drink packages were exactly as I ordered. Our excursions just as we wanted.

On every other cruise I have taken, booked through a travel agent, something has gone wrong.

I do think we are in the minority.

Obviously, the majority of people (or bookings) do not have a problem. However, the system is most definitely flawed. It only takes a search of the topics in this forum to see that ("Can't book MTD", "No Excursions Showing", "Reservation Problems", etc...).

And while the testimonials that always appear here ("I booked a cruise with Royal in April, and it was the most flawless cruise I have taken.") sound nice, I'm really not sure what they add.

So, here is the question: What percentage of bookings with problems or issues would you find acceptable if you ran things? 5%? 10%? 20%?

Personally, if I were RCI, I would be very unhappy with anything over 1-2%. So, while the "majority" go off without a hitch, I would venture a guess that a LOT more than 1-2% of online bookings have issues or difficulties. In fact, I would venture to guess that there are a LOT of people who do book with an agent simply because the website isn't user friendly.

Article on Fox News interviewing Virgin Cruise CEO Tom McAlpin, and he mentioned this: "here is a funny story; I just took a cruise I won't mention (which one), but the online booking process got so complicated, even for me, that I just gave up and called a travel agent. We want to simplify everything - booking, inclusiveness, the experience, everything."

I like what he is saying about simplifying the inclusiveness. I'd be interested to see a cruise line that is more inclusive and less about creating classes of travellers. One of the things that really has turned me off with RCI is this new way of honouring people who get suites. I understand they've paid more and all that but its getting to the point where people like us who cruise in "lower class rooms" like a balcony or (heaven forbid) and inside room feel like we're in steerage class. Even though many of us may have cruised many many times with RCI, we're treated as an afterthought. And to be honest, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if the cruise line actually lived up to their own expectations and had great food and service, something that has been waning in recent years.

OTOH, I anticipate that Virgin may offer an more inclusive ship but its probably going to cost more than many of us might be able to afford.

RCI still wants you to use a TA. They have events specifically for them, and even have groups of them touring ships before departure.

It's not really in their best interest to make it super easy to book on line without human interaction, as it takes away from one of the big groups that make sure they are full.

They make the website deliberately difficult to appease their TA partners? That seems like a stretch.

I don't think they want you to book with a TA. I think they realize that ignoring a segment of the industry that is responsible for a large percentage of bookings would be folly.

I'm sure Virgin would like to introduce an airline commission structure to the cruise industry.

Edited by LibertyCruiser

I like what he is saying about simplifying the inclusiveness. I'd be interested to see a cruise line that is more inclusive and less about creating classes of travellers. One of the things that really has turned me off with RCI is this new way of honouring people who get suites. I understand they've paid more and all that but its getting to the point where people like us who cruise in "lower class rooms" like a balcony or (heaven forbid) and inside room feel like we're in steerage class. Even though many of us may have cruised many many times with RCI, we're treated as an afterthought. And to be honest, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if the cruise line actually lived up to their own expectations and had great food and service, something that has been waning in recent years.

OTOH, I anticipate that Virgin may offer an more inclusive ship but its probably going to cost more than many of us might be able to afford.

The "class system" is an inevitable trend in the entire hospitality industry. Hotels now offer concierge floors with private check-in, additional concierge services, transportation, etc...

As someone who spend a LOT more money to travel in suites, I obviously have no objection to them making me premium offers. I guess there are two perspectives: I feel that I am paying more, and therefore am being offered more. Whereas you feel that you are somehow being offered less, because I am paying more and being offered more.

I never saw it as denying someone else something.

I'm doubting he was referring to classes by the word inclusive and I'm not sure how a few rows of reserved seats and free drinks rains on anyone's parade. We've been on both sides of it and never felt excluded.

I took the inclusive comment to mean that there would be less additional costs once onboard (meals, drinks, activities included). That would be nice!

We've booked two of our cruises with travel agents, and the third on the RCI website directly. I didn't have any problem booking myself, but one thing I do find tricky is changing the preselected cabin. They offer some options, but if you want to try to find a cabin on a particular deck, it is hard to select that. I guess if you call, they can probably help you, but it would be nice to get a more complete picture of the cabin availability on the website.

I took the inclusive comment to mean that there would be less additional costs once onboard (meals, drinks, activities included). That would be nice!

We've booked two of our cruises with travel agents, and the third on the RCI website directly. I didn't have any problem booking myself, but one thing I do find tricky is changing the preselected cabin. They offer some options, but if you want to try to find a cabin on a particular deck, it is hard to select that. I guess if you call, they can probably help you, but it would be nice to get a more complete picture of the cabin availability on the website.

It's really pretty easy, just type cabin number you want in search field.

It's really pretty easy, just type cabin number you want in search field.

Except it's really NOT that easy, as many cabins can't be selected on the website. Ever try and book and L1 loft suite on line? You can't. They only show the L2's, even though the category shows both with both prices. Not possible to book an L1 on line. Put in the cabin number and it says unavailable or this cabin may be in a different category.

Dumb limitations...

Obviously, the majority of people (or bookings) do not have a problem. However, the system is most definitely flawed. It only takes a search of the topics in this forum to see that ("Can't book MTD", "No Excursions Showing", "Reservation Problems", etc...).

And while the testimonials that always appear here ("I booked a cruise with Royal in April, and it was the most flawless cruise I have taken.") sound nice, I'm really not sure what they add.

So, here is the question: What percentage of bookings with problems or issues would you find acceptable if you ran things? 5%? 10%? 20%?

Personally, if I were RCI, I would be very unhappy with anything over 1-2%. So, while the "majority" go off without a hitch, I would venture a guess that a LOT more than 1-2% of online bookings have issues or difficulties. In fact, I would venture to guess that there are a LOT of people who do book with an agent simply because the website isn't user friendly.

So what your saying is you are guessing about everything you have posted and have ZERO hard numbers or facts to support your claims, amazing!:rolleyes:

If you feel as if your being treated as if your in 'steerage" class I hate to enlighten you but that's in "your mind".....:rolleyes::rolleyes:...Why would you say your treated as an afterthought???????... Your post really doesn't make any sense at all.:cool:

it's one of the easiest things to do on the website....:D

The "class system" is an inevitable trend in the entire hospitality industry. Hotels now offer concierge floors with private check-in, additional concierge services, transportation, etc...

As someone who spend a LOT more money to travel in suites, I obviously have no objection to them making me premium offers. I guess there are two perspectives: I feel that I am paying more, and therefore am being offered more. Whereas you feel that you are somehow being offered less, because I am paying more and being offered more.

I never saw it as denying someone else something.

Sheesh, it's not "an inevitable trend" it's been that way for years.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: