I wonder if it was Royal?

If you feel as if your being treated as if your in 'steerage" class I hate to enlighten you but that's in "your mind".....:rolleyes::rolleyes:...Why would you say your treated as an afterthought???????... Your post really doesn't make any sense at all.:cool:

I don't always agree with your posts, but I think you're spot on with that one. The only class system on mass market cruise lines is the system generated in the minds of the insecure. There's a big difference between added perks and separate classes.

Except it's really NOT that easy, as many cabins can't be selected on the website. Ever try and book and L1 loft suite on line? You can't. They only show the L2's, even though the category shows both with both prices. Not possible to book an L1 on line. Put in the cabin number and it says unavailable or this cabin may be in a different category.

Dumb limitations...

99% of us don't book L1's so that's not an issue for most. Seriously, the restrictions are usually based on occupancy. If cabin is marked for 3, and you have 2, it's not for you to choose.

One of the things that really has turned me off with RCI is this new way of honouring people who get suites. I understand they've paid more and all that but its getting to the point where people like us who cruise in "lower class rooms" like a balcony or (heaven forbid) and inside room feel like we're in steerage class. Even though many of us may have cruised many many times with RCI, we're treated as an afterthought.

People often refer to "steerage class" here on CC. I wonder how many have actually experienced it? I have in 1951 when we emigrated to the US.

Men were in one cabin - 12 to a cabin with 6 bunk beds. Women in another cabin. My Mum had to make the 10 day crossing in a cabin with 11 strangers. My Dad, brother and I were in with other men and boys. I was 10 my brother 6. There was no bathroom for the cabin. We all shared a latrine/shower area like in the military - one for men and 1 for women.

It was a great adventure and will never forget the experience. An inside cabin on an RCI cruise ship does not come close to what steerage was!

I can also attest to the fact that on RCI we have never been treated as an after thought. When I hear complaints from guests on board about Suite Guests I simply ask if these guests were not paying the large amount more than them then how much would their prorated cost of a cruise be.

Our cruise history is in the signature element for those who may have it turned off.

99% of us don't book L1's so that's not an issue for most. Seriously, the restrictions are usually based on occupancy. If cabin is marked for 3, and you have 2, it's not for you to choose.

Careful about throwing out that percentage number! "Thetrail" will likely be here shortly to demand your source and all necessary citations and references! He or She probably wants all our posts to have footnotes!:cool:

I understand what your saying, but I still ask why? It's not because of an occupancy issue. Try any number of people, any cruise. You cannot book the L1s online. Now, if they think those require a phone call for whatever reason, then so be it. But the website should reflect that, instead of basically telling me they are either unavailable or in a different category. That's just poor design.

Careful about throwing out that percentage number! "Thetrail" will likely be here shortly to demand your source and all necessary citations and references! He or She probably wants all our posts to have footnotes!:cool:

I understand what your saying, but I still ask why? It's not because of an occupancy issue. Try any number of people, any cruise. You cannot book the L1s online. Now, if they think those require a phone call for whatever reason, then so be it. But the website should reflect that, instead of basically telling me they are either unavailable or in a different category. That's just poor design.

I guess you could divide the L1's by the total cabins and get a reasonable percentage. ;). Probably even less if you divided against all the cabins in the fleet. :eek:

As for your original question I've never looked or tried to price out an L1 so I have no knowledge. I did do a hold on the Serenade RS, no problems with that.

50+ cruises so far across 5 cruise lines. ~40 booked ourselves; ~10 booked through TA's,

Guess which 10 had problems and which 40 were flawless;)

I booked all my 51 cruises with a TA's and all were flawless. You just have to pick the right TA. If my current TA every quit I would probably give doing my own booking a shot. But then again I have often got additional perks using a TA.

I have done dummy bookings on the Royal Caribbean website and I don't see any issues there. ( to check fares and cabin availability) I think if I had done the booking there it would have been fine. Also never had any issues with booking excursions.

Where the Royal Caribbean web site stinks is online check in. It never will complete and I always have to call. Also when booking entertainement on Oasis Class ships. That has the most unfriendly user interface and problems.

Edited by Charles4515

Yep.

Website won't let you book a cabin for more than 4 people.

You can't even see availability of Family Oceanview's online. Very annoying.

Much easier to shop for family cabin's on their competitors' websites.

I guess it could be any line, because the process is universally bad. But I suspect as Virgin becomes a reality, it's going to force the other lines to get their act together.

Article on Fox News interviewing Virgin Cruise CEO Tom McAlpin, and he mentioned this: "here is a funny story; I just took a cruise I won't mention (which one), but the online booking process got so complicated, even for me, that I just gave up and called a travel agent. We want to simplify everything - booking, inclusiveness, the experience, everything."

Sorry....but if you are looking for facts, mentioning Fox News pretty much disqualifies it.

As far as booking, I've never had a problem booking online with RCI.

FYI, L1's make up .59% of the available cabins on Oasis. So 99.4% of us don't book them.

In case anyone was curious.

Update, I just put L1 1704 on hold for March 5, 2017. $6,646.90. :eek:

That did include a $250 D+ discount

Edited by John&LaLa

Except it's really NOT that easy, as many cabins can't be selected on the website. Ever try and book and L1 loft suite on line? You can't. They only show the L2's, even though the category shows both with both prices. Not possible to book an L1 on line. Put in the cabin number and it says unavailable or this cabin may be in a different category.

Dumb limitations...

Just and FYI. I booked an L1 on-line back in June for October. When I hit Select Stateroom for a Crown Loft Suite it automatically gave me L2's. In order to see the L1's, I had to select 'Change Your Stateroom' and select L1 under Deck Plans. I never tried searching for the actual cabin number because I had a choice of three. Hope that is helpful in the future.

I like what he is saying about simplifying the inclusiveness. I'd be interested to see a cruise line that is more inclusive and less about creating classes of travellers. One of the things that really has turned me off with RCI is this new way of honouring people who get suites. I understand they've paid more and all that but its getting to the point where people like us who cruise in "lower class rooms" like a balcony or (heaven forbid) and inside room feel like we're in steerage class. Even though many of us may have cruised many many times with RCI, we're treated as an afterthought. And to be honest, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if the cruise line actually lived up to their own expectations and had great food and service, something that has been waning in recent years.

OTOH, I anticipate that Virgin may offer an more inclusive ship but its probably going to cost more than many of us might be able to afford.

I remember in our earlier years of cruising - started over 30 years ago - the cruise lines all touted "classless cruising - no matter the accommodations you reserve, all are treated royally." My, how times have changed!

:(

I like what he is saying about simplifying the inclusiveness. I'd be interested to see a cruise line that is more inclusive and less about creating classes of travellers. One of the things that really has turned me off with RCI is this new way of honouring people who get suites. I understand they've paid more and all that but its getting to the point where people like us who cruise in "lower class rooms" like a balcony or (heaven forbid) and inside room feel like we're in steerage class. Even though many of us may have cruised many many times with RCI, we're treated as an afterthought. And to be honest, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it if the cruise line actually lived up to their own expectations and had great food and service, something that has been waning in recent years.

OTOH, I anticipate that Virgin may offer an more inclusive ship but its probably going to cost more than many of us might be able to afford.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but it seems to me that the only people who see class are those that have none;)

Dumb limitations...

Just tested this. Chose Oasis, April 16, 2017, and was able to choose L1 room 1702 just fine. $11,329 CDN. Yes, I had to choose L1 from the list.

So, it's you, not the system.

Add us to the 'only ever booked online' data point. It boggles my mind that folks say it's complicated or hard to figure out. Pick a ship, a date, a room type and room, and pay. It's essentially the same on dozens of different web sites. Never had any issues at all.

I'm quite interested in seeing what Virgin cruises will be doing, but I expect that they'll not be offering a lot of the things that we like.

Edited by M. St. Louis

Just tested this. Chose Oasis, April 16, 2017, and was able to choose L1 room 1702 just fine. $11,329 CDN. Yes, I had to choose L1 from the list.

So, it's you, not the system.

Add us to the 'only ever booked online' data point. It boggles my mind that folks say it's complicated or hard to figure out. Pick a ship, a date, a room type and room, and pay. It's essentially the same on dozens of different web sites. Never had any issues at all.

I'm quite interested in seeing what Virgin cruises will be doing, but I expect that they'll not be offering a lot of the things that we like.

:eek::eek: How bad is that Canadian dollar :what: my example a month earlier was half that. Maybe I'll keep it. :rolleyes:

OK, now let´s just for a second follow your opinion that the Website is poorly designed.

I just did a Google search to find the Virgin Cruises Website for comparison.

Oooops couldn´t find it.

I guess a poorly designed Website is still way better to me than None at all.

Let´s talk again in 2020 when they have a Website and a cruiseship and actually offer some Cruises. Until then I don´t believe there will be too much shaking up the cruise industry and from what I´ve read about their plans it sounds like they are not really entering the mass market.

Never having the opportunity to fly with Virgin Atlantic, what makes it different?

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious.

Customer service.

I flew with them about once every 6 weeks for 2 years or so when I was working for a uk based company.

Most of the higher service level is attributable to their being ruropean rather than us based (free food and drink, more space, better entertainment, etc.) but it just felt like they genuinely cared about making the experience better for you.

Never had any issues, received free random upgrades on a semi-regular basis, etc.

I am sure there are others that had bad experiences but I would jump at the chance to fly with them again.

My $0.02

1. More competition is good. It moderates prices and encourages quality and innovation. In the end, the market decides.

2. I've booked cruises through traditional TAs, online TAs, online cruise line sites, and over the phone. My experiences are generally good.

3. Royal's website is a mess for booking. I tried it and ended up calling to book. I found the Royal service over the phone to be quite good.

Just and FYI. I booked an L1 on-line back in June for October. When I hit Select Stateroom for a Crown Loft Suite it automatically gave me L2's. In order to see the L1's, I had to select 'Change Your Stateroom' and select L1 under Deck Plans. I never tried searching for the actual cabin number because I had a choice of three. Hope that is helpful in the future.

Well waddayaknow?!! In all my years of using that website, I never saw where you could change the category! So clearly, my IT friends would refer to that as a "picnic"... "Problem In Chair Not In Computer"! LOL!:D

Having said that, I will still stick to my general opinion that the website basically blows.

Customer service.

I flew with them about once every 6 weeks for 2 years or so when I was working for a uk based company.

Most of the higher service level is attributable to their being ruropean rather than us based (free food and drink, more space, better entertainment, etc.) but it just felt like they genuinely cared about making the experience better for you.

Never had any issues, received free random upgrades on a semi-regular basis, etc.

I am sure there are others that had bad experiences but I would jump at the chance to fly with them again.

My Virgin Atlantic customer service experiences were not good. Flying to Heathrow for the QM2 when an 8:30 am flight at Newark was canceled at 7:15 am they said they were putting us in a taxi to catch an 8:30 flight out of JFK on a weekday during rush hour. Had to talk them out of that one. They managed after we insisted to put us on an 8:30 BA flight out of Newark.

At Washington DC while waiting at the gate to fly to Heathrow for a Princess cruise someone came thru and weighed my backpack which was my carry on item. My other bag was already checked. Never had that happen before or after on any airline. It was 31 lbs, one pound over. So I had to take the laptop out and carry it outside the bag. Did that make sense...no. As soon as I went thru the gate I put it back in the backpack. On the same trip they canceled my return flight from Heathrow to Washington three days before the flight on that same trip and said I had to travel the next day. I was supposed to be somewhere else that day. They had space the same day to Newark so I asked to do that as I could take the train back to DC. They made me pay additional for that. I don't call that customer service.

Every other airline I have ever flown with where there were issues had better customer service and resolved the issues better than Virgin Atlantic and that includes US airlines.

Edited by Charles4515

I look forward to cruising on Virgins line and to see what they have to offer. A while back if you went to their website they were asking people what they would like to experience on a cruise line.

I have flown Virgin America to CA and thought it was fine , I didn't find it to be any big deal however, just another flight....liked the purple lighting however.

I look forward to cruising on Virgins line and to see what they have to offer. A while back if you went to their website they were asking people what they would like to experience on a cruise line.

I have flown Virgin America to CA and thought it was fine , I didn't find it to be any big deal however, just another flight....liked the purple lighting however.

As far as the Virgin cruise line I am not loyal to any one cruise line so I will like you see what they have to offer. That includes though waiting to read some reviews.

I believe the booking part of the website is okay.......it's the rest of the website that sucks. The "My Cruise" section has changed my price more than once. Made dining reservations that have disappeared. The "remember me" check box has never worked. Why can't they layout a deck plan showing every cabin available??

I'll stop there....