Availability of condiments

sparky3229

OK weird question. Are the condiments in individual packets or in a big jar with a pump? (mayo, mustard). I will be getting sandwiches to then bring off the ship with me and brought on our day outings. I would love packets to add to the sandwich when I am ready to eat. If not at the Lido Buffett, what about with room service? I will be on the Zaandam

OK weird question. Are the condiments in individual packets or in a big jar with a pump? (mayo, mustard). I will be getting sandwiches to then bring off the ship with me and brought on our day outings. I would love packets to add to the sandwich when I am ready to eat. If not at the Lido Buffett, what about with room service? I will be on the Zaandam

No there are no packets!

We also do what you do and we collect our own packets and bring them with us! Especially in Europe?

On the ship they are dispensers.

In the lido they are dispensers in small cups.

Denise :)

Do we go through a customs inspection at each port???

When we did our 24 day Med cruise on the Nieuw in 2013 we took sandwiches off and never had a problem in any ports what so ever!

Now coming back on the ship the inspectors were there to ck bags!

Same this past March in the Carribean

When we did our 24 day Med cruise on the Nieuw in 2013 we took sandwiches off and never had a problem in any ports what so ever!

Its not the HAL inspectors you have to worry about, but the national ones. And they can put you in jail, unlike the HAL security folks.

Plus, observing local laws is simply the right and ethical thing to do. Now not every country cares, but enough do so that you should check.

Most countries, including the USA, have strict guidelines with respect to what food can be brought into the country, primarily to protect its agriculture. The accidental introduction of foreign pests or diseases can have a devastating effect.

There are lots of other options for eating ashore. While you may get away with it, as other posters have noted, you might also face some serious consequences if caught. But doing the right thing should be enough, not the possibility of getting caught.

There's another current thread on this topic: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2242553

Edited by Fouremco

Do not attempt to do that in Australia. It is not allowed. You must declare all food and it will be inspected.

Do not attempt to do that in Australia. It is not allowed. You must declare all food and it will be inspected.

Same in New Zealand, always declare food, a dog may accompany the official to check for any foods being taken off the ship.

On our last cruise, there was a woman who made sandwiches and then put them in the sanitary napkin disposal bags from the ladies' room. [emoji33] I am sorry but that is the image that comes to mind when people talk about taking sandwiches off the ship.

That aside, I would never take the risk. You never know which country is going to nail you with a fine at best or a jail term at worse. I can find food on shore or wait to get back to the ship.

On our last cruise, there was a woman who made sandwiches and then put them in the sanitary napkin disposal bags from the ladies' room. [emoji33] I am sorry but that is the image that comes to mind when people talk about taking sandwiches off the ship.

That aside, I would never take the risk. You never know which country is going to nail you with a fine at best or a jail term at worse. I can find food on shore or wait to get back to the ship.

So THAT's where all the bags go!

I have wondered because often when I need one (for the actual intended purpose), I can't find one.

For as long as we have been with HAL we have never had a problem with taking sandwiches off the ship and that is 15 years. Now coming back on board absolutely! Just did a B2B on the Nieuw in March and again no problem!

Denise:)

You are very lucky to not have been caught ... yet. And coming back on the ship they are looking for alcohol, because food is allowed.

Too true - watched an older couple argue with the inspector as his dog was bouncing. The inspector politely asked several times and the couple got louder and more adamant and down right nasty, so he inspected their roll-ator. He found a sandwich and was ready to arrest or fine them when the couple said that they would just get back on the ship - nope, he politely explained they were in Australia. The fine was $50,000 (per the CD) for their sandwich -which HAL does not pay.

Now my past DH needed to eat every few hours due to a medical condition, had a note from his MD and prepackaged bars and nuts - and we had no issue.

Its not the HAL inspectors you have to worry about, but the national ones. And they can put you in jail, unlike the HAL security folks.

Plus, observing local laws is simply the right and ethical thing to do. Now not every country cares, but enough do so that you should check.

Local laws are put in place to protect their citizens. It is a sign of disrespect to ignore their laws.

Are you sure this shouldn't be reversed;)

You can bring just about anything on board as long as it isn't dangerous. Food and flowers are not forbidden. Of course they check bags and they also let me keep my flowers in my hand when I go through the "xray". After all, the ships get their food and flowers someplace especially in the Med.

Unless I was sure it was safe to take food off and permitted by the country where we were docked, I just wouldn't do it. You don't know what harm you can do to the country with one bug someplace on your sandwich/fruit. properly sealed food (hermetically?) is fine but not the other stuff in most places

Besides, If I am in the Med, I would never take food off the ship for a much MORE important reason - the joy of eating their very fresh, lovely salads and food. We like to enjoy the culture and are happy to pay the euros for a very enjoyable bite or sip :)

We have seen dogs sniffing bags as people got off the ship in some of the Caribbean, Mexican and Alaskan ports.

So -- please people -- do not make sandwiches, etc. to take off the ship. Follow the countries laws.

Throw some packaged crackers into your luggage and take them off the ship. That is what I do and have never had a problem.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that for cruises in Europe the stores all come from the UK, and there is not a problem taking food off. I never asked when I was there. I do remember watching a man making sandwiches at breakfast on QM2 - but we sailed from NYC to the Caribbean. Don't know if he made it ashore with them, but now I realize he was probably accustomed to sailing in Europe where it was not a problem. EM

It has been mentioned elsewhere that for cruises in Europe the stores all come from the UK, and there is not a problem taking food off. I never asked when I was there. I do remember watching a man making sandwiches at breakfast on QM2 - but we sailed from NYC to the Caribbean. Don't know if he made it ashore with them, but now I realize he was probably accustomed to sailing in Europe where it was not a problem. EM

Europe is a very big continent. I have certainly been in a number of ports where taking food off the ship was prohibited.

This isn't true. A good number of the stores are (rightfully) Dutch.