If anyone tries to sell you Carnival gift cards in the Orlando area...

TinkyPatz

they might have been stolen from me...

-------------

Hi guys!

July the 7th I bought 3 $500 Carnival gift cards through Verizon. I was over the moon as I had been stalking them for weeks.

The cards arrived in the mail on the 17th, I opened the envelope, took a look at them but decided to hold off on paying my cruise just yet - trust me I am beating myself up for this decision.

We were having construction done on our apartment complex during the next 2 weeks. Absolutely no one except the construction workers, me and my husband went into our apartment. Last Thursday I decided to pay it off, grabbed the envelope (same padded one they came in) and it was empty. :(

Cue end of the world music here. We had been saving for 3 years for this cruise. We never took a honeymoon and this was finally going to be it. I was going to upgrade from our OV to a balcony. We owe $1200 on the cruise so with the gift cards we were also going to have $300 onboard credit. I had booked Chef's Table, our first time. I was looking forward to martini's at the Alchemy Bar and buying lots of photos with all the onboard credit I was going to save up for in the next 3 months.

We have to pay for our cruise all over again and final payment is due August 17th. I got a call from my PVP yesterday to remind me, it was heartbreaking. Now every time I think of the cruise I can't help but feel a pang of sadness.

Verizon's position is that they are not responsible for lost or stolen cards. The construction company says that we will "figure something out" but still no concrete answer.

I filed a police report, but one of my coworkers mentioned that maybe the person that took them would try to sell them, so I decided to post this so buyer beware!

-------------

Additionally, if you have any horror stories in which your vacation was ruined or nearly ruined and you would like to commiserate with me, please, tell me your stories, misery loves company! :o

I am so sorry this happened to you. Ok, so have you called your renters insurance company? Its worth a try, maybe Verizon could send a confirmation letter for the amount and maybe even the card serial numbers to submit to the insurance company? I would certainly try it, worst thing they could say is "no, not covered" (things like cash and the like are typically not covered because you cannot prove you had it)....Good Luck!

Edited by Drazil65

That's awful! :eek: While Verizon isn't responsible for them being stolen, can they at least give you the codes? If they haven't been used, that's all you would need to credit your account online or with Carnival. I most certainly would be hounding the construction company, complete with threats to call a lawyer and to give them horrible reviews on every website I could think of. Good luck!

So.... REALLY odd posting for someone in Tampa looking to sell $1000 in CCL cards because they "aren't into cruising". Not sure why they would have $1000 in cards if they didn't want to cruise. Don't know that there is ANY way that you could ever make a connection back on the off chance that these were yours.

Did you get the pin code off the cards? If not it will really be impossible for them to be tracted. Verizon has the card number,but that's useless without the pin code.

So sorry this happen to you.

However, they could be canceled. And it known they are stolen, when attempted to redeemed.

Verizon cards do not have a PIN #.

They are just a gift card with a 16-digit number on the front. That's it. They are same-as-cash and everything, everywhere states that.

Your purchase confirmation does not give you any details.

I so much prefer the e-cards, but Verizon doesn't offer them any longer.

The first time I ordered a the card that was to be mailed, I came home one day to find an envelope stuck between the doors. Apparently the mail carrier had put it in someone else's mailbox and they were kind enough to bring them to my house (and I found the envelope before anyone else did!).

If they had just tossed it out, I would've been out-of-luck.

Hope you get some sort of resolution.

However, they could be canceled. And it known they are stolen, when attempted to redeemed.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2004/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM5NDg2ODc0L3NpZC9DRHhEa1F0bQ==

Q: I lost my Carnival Gift Card / my Carnival Gift Card was stolen, but I have the gift card number. Can you cancel or replace the card?

A: No, the gift card is just like cash. Unfortunately, if the card is lost or used without your permission, we are unable to cancel or replace it.If you do have the gift card number, you can still redeem the card value online at http://www.carnival.com

I would get card numbers and check the balance,then apply ASAP!

Good luck

I get so nervous with gift card numbers

I always feel like some hacker could have got into the system and retrieved the info on my card. So I apply them often in the parking lot of Kroger's :-) With Verizon there is just another level of issues that can arise.

Edited by AdrenalineRush

So.... REALLY odd posting for someone in Tampa looking to sell $1000 in CCL cards because they "aren't into cruising". Not sure why they would have $1000 in cards if they didn't want to cruise. Don't know that there is ANY way that you could ever make a connection back on the off chance that these were yours.

Seems like Verizon smart rewards should be able to give you the numbers off the cards they sold you, and then I'd go see this guy and see if they match up. I'd really push the rewards program... Good luck.

I'm guessing they ship from some 3rd-party vendor. I just ordered some cards from Kroger online and they came from a 3rd-party. I'm sure neither Verizon or other stores have any record of the card numbers.

Again, everything everywhere states that they are SAME AS CASH and they cannot be responsible for lost or stolen cards.

Mine either go straight into my wallet (if I buy at the grocery store) or straight into my lockbox with my passport when they arrive in the mail.

I hate that this happened to OP but I really don't think there's anything to be done unless the whomever employs the workers comes up with a solution. Or insurance pays (probably wouldn't even meet the deductible, though).

You might also check with the complex if the contractors are insured/bonded. Even if the bond/insurance company won't pay, the contractor's company might just to keep you from screwing up their insurance.

You might also check with the complex if the contractors are insured/bonded. Even if the bond/insurance company won't pay, the contractor's company might just to keep you from screwing up their insurance.

I was thinking the exact same thing! Call your landlord and see if you can get more information on these contractors and pursue it. Especially since you filed a police report.

Also, do you have renters insurance? Does it cover theft? Not sure what your deductible is, but it would probably be worth calling your insurance agent and maybe at least asking them if your policy covers this, as I'm sure a lot of renter's policies do!

Renter's insurance would come in handy.

As far as holding the contractors liable, I don't see how that could be done unless one of them eventually used the cards. There's no proof they took them. No cameras or anything.

The OP shouldn't feel guilty for not using the cards right away. You brought them. You can use them whenever you like. Who would think you would have to rush and pay off your cruise just in case a thief came in your home. Sorry this happened to you.

Renter's insurance would come in handy.

As far as holding the contractors liable, I don't see how that could be done unless one of them eventually used the cards. There's no proof they took them. No cameras or anything.

The OP shouldn't feel guilty for not using the cards right away. You brought them. You can use them whenever you like. Who would think you would have to rush and pay off your cruise just in case a thief came in your home. Sorry this happened to you.

No. OP shouldn't feel guilty at all! In fact, it's a good reminder to all of us, because likely she's not the only one who has them sitting around her residence. Heck, I have 3 cards sitting on my kitchen table right now and I'm trying to think of a better place to put them. It's a very good warning to all of us!

Last month I ordered 1-$500 card and got 5-$500 cards, they sent me someone else's order. :eek: I called Verizon Smart Rewards and they were really surprised that I called to report it. They said there is no way to track the numbers and I could have just used the cards and been on my merry way. But I did not and sent them back to Verizon (did not want Karma to bite me in the A*#) Some one from their customer service department called me the very next day to verify the facts. I sure hope the rightful owner got her cards, they did send me my card with a very nice letter, gave me all my Smart Rewards points back that I used to purchase the card and credited my credit card another 10%. So I ended up getting my card for $400 and no points used.:)

OP I sure hope you get some resolution. That just sucks! If you have renters or homeowners insurance, it would more than likely be covered, but it would be subject to any deductible you have and most (not sure in Florida) insurance companies limit cash/gift card losses to $200.

OP could they have fallen out of the envelope? Fallen behind something. Put it a 'safe' place? With your passports? In between papers?

Edited by SadieN

No, OP shouldn't feel guilty, but putting valuables somewhere out-of-reach/out-of-sight is a really good idea.

Now I'm wondering whether I actually DID lock the remaining card I got on Saturday in my lock box! I got two and used one to pay off my Splendor balance. Did I leave the other sitting on the end table, just waiting to fall down into the sofa? :eek: