How old is too old?

Jane2357

I'm not a "seasoned cruiser" but I am a seasoned traveler. :)

If I die while I am traveling, so be it. That is so much better than sitting at home waiting for the time to come.

I am a firm believer in always having something to look forward to.

I agree. There is nothing worse than going to the place my mom was in which was called "God's waiting room"

A few years ago my Dad refused to get the flu and pneumonia shots because they were "for old people"; he was 86. He died in his sleep at 94 during a coffee break with friends in his apartment. I hope I have interited his genes.

I figure when I can no longer enjoy daily life, I will be too old to cruise - until then, if I can go as long as my Dad, I've got another 35 years of cruising in me! If your father isn't comfortable with the thought of travelling at his age, accept his decision and bring back photos of your trip. He will likely enjoy those just as much and not have the worry.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I've offered to take my father along on our April '17 Panama Canal Cruise. Dad is 80 and in excellent condition, very active, mentally sharp. I think he thinks HIS ship has sailed and won't go. He said it would make him uneasy being away from health care in an emergency. :confused::(

At what age do you seasoned cruisers think that you may be too old? I'm thinking some of you die hards would say that to die while cruising wouldn't be all that bad ;) but seriously do any of you have an anxious thoughts about good medical care in other parts of the world even covering yourself with the proper insurance? Would you ever think you were too old to cruise?

It depends on the physical condition of the person. I don't think there is any age too old.

My husband will be 85 next year so of course has some physical problems. Despite that we will spend 7 days in Western Caribbean followed by a 16 day transatlantic, then three days in Barcelona Spain. We aren't anxious about good medical care but we do make sure we have a trip insurance policy that covers pre-existing conditions and has high medical coverage and good evacuation insurance.

I doubt that we will ever think we are too old to cruise.

I agree with those who have said, don't pressure your Dad. My M-i-L had traveled solo all around the world for years into her late 60's but then became concerned about health care in strange places and never traveled again. She was perfectly happy at home until her death at 91.

Edited by NMLady

A few years ago my Dad refused to get the flu and pneumonia shots because they were "for old people"; he was 86. He died in his sleep at 94 during a coffee break with friends in his apartment. I hope I have interited his genes.

I figure when I can no longer enjoy daily life, I will be too old to cruise - until then, if I can go as long as my Dad, I've got another 35 years of cruising in me! If your father isn't comfortable with the thought of travelling at his age, accept his decision and bring back photos of your trip. He will likely enjoy those just as much and not have the worry.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Your dads comment about the flu shots made me smile, I had an uncle who used to deliver "Meals on Wheels" to help "The Old People", said uncle was in his 90s.

My late FIL's last cruise was when he was 88 years old. Dementia got too bad after that for him to travel. He dropped dead at 91 of a heart attack when he was out taking his morning walk.

On my Lindblad cruise through the Kimberley Wilderness in Australia, a 92 year old lady showed up people half her age. She was on every excursion, in and out of zodiaks and hiking into and around caves. I aspire to be that spry and adventurous as I approach advanced age.

I've offered to take my father along on our April '17 Panama Canal Cruise. Dad is 80 and in excellent condition, very active, mentally sharp. I think he thinks HIS ship has sailed and won't go. He said it would make him uneasy being away from health care in an emergency. :confused::(

At what age do you seasoned cruisers think that you may be too old? I'm thinking some of you die hards would say that to die while cruising wouldn't be all that bad ;) but seriously do any of you have an anxious thoughts about good medical care in other parts of the world even covering yourself with the proper insurance? Would you ever think you were too old to cruise?

Really depends on the person I guess. My DH is 83, (I am 68) we have been cruising for years... 50+ cruises. My DH is in good health, fairly active for his age, he will keep going as long as he can. We are booked on a 14 day Oueen Mary 2 out of New York up to Quebec City and back in September; in the spring we are flying to Paris and Israel and staying for two weeks at that time. I just purchased Business Travelers insurance from Travel Guard for each of us for $518 for the two of us, for one year to cover medical and emergency evac. We don't try to injure the costs of our trip, just want medical and emergency coverage if we need it because Medicare does not cover anything outside the USA. Hopefully we will not need it, in all the years that we have traveled, we have never had any significant health issues come up.

The Travel Guard coverage is $50,000 medical and $500,000 emergency evac. Generally how these policies work, in a medical situation the goal is to stablize a patient so they can return home for on going care as soon as possible. There are other features of the policy but mention the insurance as something like this may give your Dad some comfort in traveling.

If he is hard core negative, then I would forget it. But, you are never THAT far from medical care on a PC cruise. Would I recommend a Transatlantic? No. Remind him that there are many seniors on the PC cruises because they are longer and there are few children around so it is one of those "more mature" groups. Get the insurance and go if he is showing a positive and upbeat attitude.

Last year we sailed on two legs of the World Cruise on Seabourn Sojourn, and one man on the complete cruise celebrated his ninety nine and a half birthday with a party on deck put on by the crew. At every port he was seen walking up and down the dock, exercising. Another delightful couple aged eighty nine dined in the restaurant every evening, beautifully dressed, and attended all the shows at 10pm. In Sri Lanka, they did one of the eight hour excursions to see the elephant sanctuary. They were interesting to converse with, and had the 'glass half full' attitude to life.

There are stories here of terminally ill taking cruises.

That is an entirely different topic. We once met a terminally ill gentleman on a long HAL cruise and he readily admitted that he expected to die on the ship. It did not happen and towards the end of the cruise he told us he had just booked another cruise (leaving about a week after our cruise). Not sure what ever happened to the guy.

Hank

Thank you everyone for your replies. No I will not be twisting his arm to get him to go - I offered and he turned it down. Dad lives and looks way younger than his age, has no major health issues and is very active and fit, so it was surprising to me that he has this concern. I believe as he is of limited means that the thought of unexpected emergency medical costs/issues could be the primary reason - even though I am happy to purchase the needed coverage.

DH and I are 61 & 58 - and for the first time will be purchasing travel insurance with med evac. We've never felt the need before but I figure now is the time - I've read that you can get a years worth of coverage at a time so I figure we would purchase it right before our late May '16, Alaska trip and it would cover us through our early April '17 Panama Canal trip.

One person here recommended Business Travelers through Travel Guard - I've also heard of Med Jet Assit - anyone know the differences between these two?

We took Dad to Alaska for a fabulous land travel trip 10 yrs ago - he was stationed there during the Korean war and had never gotten to go back. Maybe we will just let that memory do. :)

Thank you everyone for your replies. No I will not be twisting his arm to get him to go - I offered and he turned it down. Dad lives and looks way younger than his age, has no major health issues and is very active and fit, so it was surprising to me that he has this concern. I believe as he is of limited means that the thought of unexpected emergency medical costs/issues could be the primary reason - even though I am happy to purchase the needed coverage.

DH and I are 61 & 58 - and for the first time will be purchasing travel insurance with med evac. We've never felt the need before but I figure now is the time - I've read that you can get a years worth of coverage at a time so I figure we would purchase it right before our late May '16, Alaska trip and it would cover us through our early April '17 Panama Canal trip.

One person here recommended Business Travelers through Travel Guard - I've also heard of Med Jet Assit - anyone know the differences between these two?

We took Dad to Alaska for a fabulous land travel trip 10 yrs ago - he was stationed there during the Korean war and had never gotten to go back. Maybe we will just let that memory do. :)

MedJet Assist is strictly a medical evacuation flight company. It will take you from a hospital, anywhere, to a hospital of your choosing, generally at home. Two caveats, you have to be, I believe, 50 miles from home for it to kick in, and you have to be admitted to a hospital somewhere - in some foreign country. You can get a temporary policy, covering a specific trip, or if you are a busy traveler, you can get an annual policy. You can get coverage for just yourself or for the entire family.

So far, my policies with them have been my worst investment. I've never had to use them, knock on wood.

Edited by Treven

Tell him to get off his lazy a$$ and go. He will not be the oldest or most infirm on the Cruise and will have the time of his life.

Tell him to get off his lazy a$$ and go. He will not be the oldest or most infirm on the Cruise and will have the time of his life.

When I was on the world cruise in 2009, there was a car park of scooters outside the buffet every morning. LOL. All seemed to have a great time. I know some of the older guests did not get off the ship at all ports, sometimes just too hard, but they enjoyed it anyway.

MedJet Assist is strictly a medical evacuation flight company. It will take you from a hospital, anywhere, to a hospital of your choosing, generally at home. Two caveats, you have to be, I believe, 50 miles from home for it to kick in, and you have to be admitted to a hospital somewhere - in some foreign country. You can get a temporary policy, covering a specific trip, or if you are a busy traveler, you can get an annual policy. You can get coverage for just yourself or for the entire family.

So far, my policies with them have been my worst investment. I've never had to use them, knock on wood.

Medjet will evac you if you are more than 150 miles from home. This includes evac within the USA. However, regular Medjet policies will not cover people over 75yo. Medjet had a special policies for travelers 75-85 yo.

The only thing I might suggest at this point would be to get some real details on what sort of medical care would be available on the particular ship on which you would be cruising, and on what type of care might be available in the various ports, and what medevac options are available, and what insurance would or would not cover. If he is still reluctant to go after getting more information, then fine. But I wonder if he might be reassured by getting more information, and consider going after all.

To me age isn't really the question. HEALTH is the question. I am 68, my husband is 72.

In 2013 I booked the 14 day Alaska cruise on HAL for August 2014. My husband had a stroke in July 2013. Doctor said he should be able to go on the cruise a year out. In December we were at a family gathering and I had time to sit and watch him interact with other family members, get around the house, to the bathroom etc. I KNEW THEN, THERE WAS NO WAY he could make it through the airport, handle luggage, and enjoy any time on the ship, so I cancelled the cruise.

It turned out to be a good thing, as I started having angina in February 2014 and soon realized I wouldn't be able to handle luggage and all the walking involved for the cruise either. I do use a walker now, and golf carts to do the grocery shopping, but have no wish to try and fly or cruise anymore.

Your Father knows his safety and comfort zone. If he doesn't want to travel/cruise, then don't try to force him, you will only make him miserable and uncomfortable. And possibly ruin your own good time.

I'm pretty sure if you buy the cruise insurance it covers (ATLEAST some?) medical expenses if something were to happen. Not sure but you could contact the cruise line to get specific details. Maybe if he read all these post and had the insurance as back up he might feel more comfortable about going?