Next up Hurricane Erica

Ya, that seems really fair, considering it was no fault of the cruise line.

I wonder how the folks still on board were compensated for their "inconvenience".

I would love to be stuck on the ship a couple extra days, but there would certainly be extra costs that one wouldn't have accounted for. ie. increased airfare home, missed work, etc.... Anyone know?

I've had that happen to me. In 2012 we were on Carnival Dream, eastern Caribbean itinerary, during Hurricane Sandy. We had beautiful weather in all ports, but those last 2 sea days on the way back to PC turned into 3. The last day we spent bobbing off the coast of Miami with an NCL and Disney ship. Rough seas like we'd never experienced before! I think this cruise was a Saturday - Saturday. By mid-week people were talking about the storm, and everyone was watching CNN. Thursday they closed up the door on our deck 2 cove balcony, but we still had a window. (Carnival has a regular door instead of a sliding door like RC balcony cabins.) Friday we received a letter from the captain explaining the situation, and how the safety of passengers was their top priority, etc., and that we wouldn't be arriving until Sunday. There were several announcements starting on about Thursday, the day they closed up our balcony. They really did a good job keeping us all informed.

We received 0 compensation on board - not even a free drink. We didn't expect anything though. They did provide use of phones on board for free - but it was impossible to get a call out. We were lucky enough to explain the situation online to our daughter back home, and she was able to get us on a flight for the next day. We were charged for changing our flight, which was then reimbursed by American. We had more of a problem with the shuttle service we had pre-arranged to take us to the airport in Orlando, but it all worked out.

The mood of the ship that extra day was fun actually. There really weren't a lot of people out and about because of the rough seas -- it was really hard to walk, but the ones who were, seemed to be having a good time. I'll never forget being in a nearly empty dining room and hearing trays with plates crashing. The last night on board we decided to go up to the steak house again, no reservation, we just wandered up (I think the men were even wearing shorts) and there was nobody there. They were so happy to serve us! They printed up a Carnival Fun Times for Day 8, and had activities going on just like it was another sea day.

Edited by jules815

Ok ill do it lol.. driving out to Fl tonight so will check in after a short nap. I dont like to do it because i still feel like i am new at this boarding process and want to talk to a person and go through everything.. basically feel that i need aome hand holding in this process. And there is a message that says you need to do it start to finish and what if i mess up.. ok im a bit neurotic...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Ok ill do it lol.. driving out to Fl tonight so will check in after a short nap. I dont like to do it because i still feel like i am new at this boarding process and want to talk to a person and go through everything.. basically feel that i need aome hand holding in this process. And there is a message that says you need to do it start to finish and what if i mess up.. ok im a bit neurotic...

With the current weather situation, it would be good if the cruise line has your contact info.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

better hurry. Might be too late already

Seems they are wanting to get you out of there as quickly as possible.

Exactly! I'm all for that, much better than the alternative.

I'm impressed with the RCCL communication, both my husband & myself received texts & I had an email with the changes (that I had to respond to). It makes me feel better that I won't miss anything. It's definitely worth the 5 minutes to fill in your online contact information :)

So here's a very important question! :) Let's say you're on a ship that gets delayed a day or two returning to port, and you have purchased a drink package. Are they going to let you continue to use it as purchased, cut it off after the number of days purchased, or make you pay extra days to keep using it?

So here's a very important question! :) Let's say you're on a ship that gets delayed a day or two returning to port, and you have purchased a drink package. Are they going to let you continue to use it as purchased, cut it off after the number of days purchased, or make you pay extra days to keep using it?

If the cruise is shortened, would you expect a refund. :what:

Seriously, I would think you could continue the pkg without any charges. But if not, it wouldn't bother me.

Just a wild guess, but I would not be surprised if they let you keep the drink package without paying more.

My brother is leaving on Majesty of the Seas on Monday...well he's supposed to. Thankfully he flies down Sunday morning. I'm soooo glad he decided to go down a day early. He rarely does that! Now he just waits to see what happens with the cruise.

My brother is leaving on Majesty of the Seas on Monday...well he's supposed to. Thankfully he flies down Sunday morning. I'm soooo glad he decided to go down a day early. He rarely does that! Now he just waits to see what happens with the cruise.

He should definitely be paying attention to his airline, as that will be the first thing affected...

I don't know what MN is

I don't know what CTN is

Knock off the silliness

Sorry you didn't like my opinion. There are plenty here who agree with me that over use of some acronyms are challenging

Interesting, I couldn't help but notice your over use of acronyms as well. Does anyone else see the humour in this?

SS numbers are not on any document to cross reference

this is between you and your travel agent. Royal does have promotions from time to time that offer OBC, but far from all. I guess your TA is not surprising you this cruise.

Ask your TA about OBC when you book next time.

much the fun of a vacation is looking forward to it IMO

Seen lots of people bring the wrong BC. They call home, have someone retrieve it, and then fax it to terminal. That's worse than a copy and is acceptable

takes all of 1 extra minute. No big deal. BTW, you don't need to print the cruise contract. You need to print your set sail pass. If you don't or can"t, it's not a big deal

Originally Posted by rudeney View Post

So here's a very important question! Let's say you're on a ship that gets delayed a day or two returning to port, and you have purchased a drink package. Are they going to let you continue to use it as purchased, cut it off after the number of days purchased, or make you pay extra days to keep using it?

If the cruise is shortened, would you expect a refund. :what:

Seriously, I would think you could continue the pkg without any charges. But if not, it wouldn't bother me.

Oh! I hadn't thought of that! Yes, I want a refund if my trip is cut short. Either that, or maybe they can send me home with to-go bottles? :p

Seriously, if RCCL did just "continue" drink packages with no extra charge, that would be some really great customer service. If not, and I had to pay to extend it, that would be quite alright and perfectly fair.

Due to leave on Monday from Port Canaveral. I cancelled the drink packages last night. I didn't want the hassle if the trip was shortened, etc. and I figure I can always buy it again onboard.

Can you cancel this close to sailing :what:

Can you cancel this close to sailing :what:
If you have RCI's insurance and cancel, you get 75% of the cancellation penalty to use on a future cruise. Cancellation penalty for an Aug. 30 cruise (since Aug. 16) is 100% of the cruise fare so you get 75% of your cruise fare to use on a future cruise.

Interesting, I couldn't help but notice your over use of acronyms as well. Does anyone else see the humour in this?

Ummm, looks like you did a little more than "couldn't help but notice" their own use of acronyms. Just take notice and move on...seriously why does so many people need to prove everyone else wrong in these boards? Who cares!

If you have RCI's insurance and cancel, you get 75% of the cancellation penalty to use on a future cruise. Cancellation penalty for an Aug. 30 cruise (since Aug. 16) is 100% of the cruise fare so you get 75% of your cruise fare to use on a future cruise.

I meant the beverage package. Pretty sure it's to late to add one this close to sailing

I believe they were referring to canceling their drink package so they wouldn't have to mess with a potential need to get a credit if their cruise was shortened.

Although your point could be helpful for those wondering about the actual cruise and I am sure there are those that are wondering.