Dog on cruise is better dressed than many passengers :)

Just a thought. I thought service animals wore a particular vest to signify their 'job' and that people are not supposed to interfere with them (i.e. making contact with them) because they are working. I would think a dog 'wearing clothes' would not be the same as the service vest. I don't mind if they are there to alleviate/help with an owner's disability. I would have a problem with the owner trying to get extra attention by using the dog as a 'prop'.

The harness vests worn by many service dogs are there to let others know that it's not a pet to be played with - it is a working animal on the job. The problem is, there are no nationally recognized or regulated certifications. These vests can be purchased on websites by anyone for any animal. I don't think people are bringing along these dogs as props to get attention, but instead they are calling them "emotional support animals" as a way to bring their personal pets with them to places where pets are normally not allowed.

I am certain there are people with "hidden" disabilities that benefit greatly from their properly trained service animals, but there are also a lot of cheaters who game the system to bring their pets along.

It's the animal relieving itself inappropriately that bothers me. Saw that twice on a Royal ship and a Cunard ship. Both times the owners just kept on walking away leaving the "mess" for someone else to either clean up or step in. Not sure how I feel about a dog in the dining room. Hope the dog isn't a drooler!

I'd love one of those dogs that's trained to help with the housework and laundry cos I've been married 28 years and haven't managed to train my husband or kids to do it .

Hey lets not start calling people out. If you want to talk about kids, well okay, but there is no reason to besmirch the good name of husbands. However, if they had those kinds of dogs, we are okay with every house having one.

On Radiance June a year ago a "service dog" ( large yellow lab) was being walked and allowed by owner to p and poop on the golf course. We were traveling with 6 yr old twins that loved to do the golf. What we witnessed was gross and unsanitary . We reported immediately to GR and was told that she had already been warned to use only the provided area on deck 5.. He confirmed that if she continued the cabin would be disembarked at the next port . We didn't see the dog after that so do not know the outcome. I too know that getting a certificate is as easy as getting a passport photo....

On Radiance June a year ago a "service dog" ( large yellow lab) was being walked and allowed by owner to p and poop on the golf course. We were traveling with 6 yr old twins that loved to do the golf. What we witnessed was gross and unsanitary . We reported immediately to GR and was told that she had already been warned to use only the provided area on deck 5.. He confirmed that if she continued the cabin would be disembarked at the next port . We didn't see the dog after that so do not know the outcome. I too know that getting a certificate is as easy as getting a passport photo....

That's absolutely disgusting. I would've freaked.

As I said before, I have NO problem with service dogs, I have a problem with those who cheat the system, or don't look after their service dogs in the right ways, such as the post that I have quoted.

It's the animal relieving itself inappropriately that bothers me. Saw that twice on a Royal ship and a Cunard ship. Both times the owners just kept on walking away leaving the "mess" for someone else to either clean up or step in. Not sure how I feel about a dog in the dining room. Hope the dog isn't a drooler!

We were on a cruise several years ago with two very large seeing eye dogs. They were seated at the next table in the MDR. Both were extremely well behaved - much more so than many of the children on board. And I'm not a dog person at all.

As for the small service dog, if you don't know for a fact their function, you have no right to question their value. Our DGS is profoundly autistic and prone to severe seizures. Those little dogs can be lifesaving. Not saying that some people don't work the system - just witness those who book handicapped cabins for the extra space - but it's not everyone.

On the independence last Thanksgiving, there was a yorkie named Romeo. He was an anxiety service dog, who I believe was for the husband even though the wife pushed the stroller. The dog must be certified as a therapy dog and have a special certificate before Royal will allow them to board. He was so cute! Even wore a tuxedo on formal night. The best part was going to look at the photography walls every day and finding pictures of Romeo and his parents!!

On the independence last Thanksgiving, there was a yorkie named Romeo. He was an anxiety service dog, who I believe was for the husband even though the wife pushed the stroller. The dog must be certified as a therapy dog and have a special certificate before Royal will allow them to board. He was so cute! Even wore a tuxedo on formal night. The best part was going to look at the photography walls every day and finding pictures of Romeo and his parents!!

this sort of animal (assuming we are talking PTSD as a diagnosis) is an actual Service animal. these dogs are specially trained to recognize the signs of impending meltdown( triggers for PTSD vary greatly) and also trained to nip it in the bud

this is for EVERYONE's safety not just the patient.

although I have never seen a yorkie trained thus. usually its medium sized dogs as they are large enough to physically 'herd' their human into a safe zone as well as warn off others.

That's not a service dog. That's a 'I printed a service dog tag off the internet' pet.

Dog and guest should have been thrown off ship if not denied boarding to start with.

I agree - a "real" service dog would not be dressed up in anything other than a vest stating what it was a service dog FOR. I'm a dog lover and was long time dog owner - for those who say I feel this way because I don't like dogs.

this sort of animal (assuming we are talking PTSD as a diagnosis) is an actual Service animal. these dogs are specially trained to recognize the signs of impending meltdown( triggers for PTSD vary greatly) and also trained to nip it in the bud

this is for EVERYONE's safety not just the patient.

although I have never seen a yorkie trained thus. usually its medium sized dogs as they are large enough to physically 'herd' their human into a safe zone as well as warn off others.

As a resident of a military community I am used to PTSD dogs - all have vests stating that is what they are. They are large breed rescue dogs - not little dogs.

It's kinda bothering me that that person was allowed to bring a dog (that was not a service dog) on to the ship...

How do you know it wasn't a service dog, just crazy to me that there is no accreditation process.

Just a thought. I thought service animals wore a particular vest to signify their 'job' and that people are not supposed to interfere with them (i.e. making contact with them) because they are working. I would think a dog 'wearing clothes' would not be the same as the service vest. I don't mind if they are there to alleviate/help with an owner's disability. I would have a problem with the owner trying to get extra attention by using the dog as a 'prop'.

There is no requirement (in most places at least) for a service dog to have a vest.

Hmmm. . .

A service dog. . .

Dressed up in a sailor outfit and taken around in a stroller. . .

Now isn't that cute.

I have a service dog, too. If I flatulate, he is the first to alert everyone by leaving the room.

I have a similar one, except he doesn't leave the room till I kick him and say "Boof you smelly dog".

How do you know it wasn't a service dog, just crazy to me that there is no accreditation process.

Go back a few pages, I have a whole explanation, and already apologized for assuming. :rolleyes:

And it's absolutely beyond me why there is not an accreditation process. How come they don't need any proof that they actually are a service dog???

No animal should be dressed in human clothes in my opinion.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! :p

No offense to all those that like to dress up you're dog... I just would never dream of doing it. :)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

No animal should be dressed in human clothes in my opinion.

I agree. I would be honored to share a cruise with a true service animal but I would be sad to see a pooch dressed in a sailor suit in a stroller. I have heard people say they bought the certificate on line rather than pay for boarding for the poor little pooch.

It has gotten out of hand with the people scamming. I was at my local produce market and a lady had her mutt and it was not on a leash. It lifted it's leg on a case of vegetables and I did say something to her. She said, It's OK he's a comfort animal.

Market staff had to throw the whole thing out and they said they could not confront her.

4boysnana

hmmm. . .

A service dog. . .

Dressed up in a sailor outfit and taken around in a stroller. . .

Now isn't that cute.

I have a service dog, too. If i flatulate, he is the first to alert everyone by leaving the room.

lmao:d!!!!!!