Celebrity Beds -- All Cracked Up

soxfan2013

Disappointed in beds in Aqua on Summit. First, they are hard and not particularly special in this day of age of much improved bedding at hospitality destinations.

Second, and more importantly, the beds start off as two twins...so there's a big crack in the middle when you put them together. After the first night, we requested a mattress pad to cover/disguise the crack (why something like this isn't standard operating procedure, who knows?)...this was somewhat effective, but still not great -- maybe a 6/10.

If you they are going to go with single beds, they should have best in class mattress covers that totally transform the bed and hide the crack, from the sleepers' perspectives.

Disappointed in beds in Aqua on Summit. First, they are hard and not particularly special in this day of age of much improved bedding at hospitality destinations.

Second, and more importantly, the beds start off as two twins...so there's a big crack in the middle when you put them together. After the first night, we requested a mattress pad to cover/disguise the crack (why something like this isn't standard operating procedure, who knows?)...this was somewhat effective, but still not great -- maybe a 6/10.

If you they are going to go with single beds, they should have best in class mattress covers that totally transform the bed and hide the crack, from the sleepers' perspectives.

I only bring this up because you made the comment about the beds not being special in this day and age. All the Celebrity ships have Reverie beds which is a specialty bed, they had press releases a couple of years ago when they were put onto the ships. All the beds on most cruise ships start off as two twins. Surprised there was not something put in between them, I was in an Aqua and had no problems. It is standard procedure, guessing someone screwed up.

I only bring this up because you made the comment about the beds not being special in this day and age. All the Celebrity ships have Reverie beds which is a specialty bed, they had press releases a couple of years ago when they were put onto the ships.

I have to say that, since Celebrity started using the Reverie beds, both my husband and I have thought that they were the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. I am so surprised that the OP found them uncomfortable.

Going by the number of threads that you have started regarding things lacking on your cruise, it appears that perhaps Celebrity is not your cup of tea, & you may want to try another line for your next cruise.

Going by the number of threads that you have started regarding things lacking on your cruise, it appears that perhaps Celebrity is not your cup of tea, & you may want to try another line for your next cruise.

ya, someone appeared a bit grump,lol

ya, someone appeared a bit grump,lol

I've tried to be somewhat tongue and cheek with the titles of my threads, but basically, you have a company that is billing itself as "Modern Luxury," and it just isn't close to "Luxury"...more like "Modern Average."

These beds aren't luxury...although many people like them and that's great, but they don't hold a candle to many of the more advanced mattress in the hospitality industry.

My basic point is that if you are going to go with a flex system of single beds, then you need to have a good way to combine two beds into one without people feeling a crack. Pretty basic.

Not only was there a significant crack on night 1 as nothing was done but put two beds together under a single sheet, but there still remained a discernible crack after the cabin steward made up the beds with a mattress pad (foam, but not sure?) for nights 2-7...and I have been in converted twin beds before where there was no discernible crack, so I know this can be done. Some have even said here that it is often done, just not in my case.

I think these boards are an appropriate place to identify and comment on our cruise experience...and there will always be multiple perspectives...I'm not saying Celebrity is terrible...there were many things we enjoyed, especially the attitude of the Celebrity staff...it's just not "luxury" in most senses of the word and most experiences...even the upgraded sheets and towels supposedly in Aqua Class are not luxury. The food is certainly not luxury....etc.

I think if you have the right expectations, you can have a good time...I would say Celebrity is probably comparable to a Marriott or Westin all inclusive resort experience: not a Comfort Inn and not a Four Seasons. We were with kids and grandparents, and the cruise was a good vacation choice for this trip.

The OP didn't care for the hair dryers on this cruise as well.

....or anything else for that matter. There are now about five threads started to individually deal with each of his or her complaints, after doing a large thread yesterday about how little value they found in Aqua.

I feel bad that the vacation was not what they expected, but I looked at some of the prior posts and they have cruised before on the Reflection...so some of these things should not be such a shock...like the hair dryer and the bed....its pretty standard.

You have slept on cruise beds before on the Reflection....were those beds different. They should all be the same, and virtually all the beds are splitable twins, with the exception of the higher end suite beds.

Maybe you were in a suite on Reflection?

Edited by cherylroslyn

I've tried to be somewhat tongue and cheek with the titles of my threads, but basically, you have a company that is billing itself as "Modern Luxury," and it just isn't close to "Luxury"...more like "Modern

I think these boards are an appropriate place to identify and comment on our cruise experience...and there will always be multiple perspectives...I'm not saying Celebrity is terrible...there were many things we enjoyed, especially the attitude of the Celebrity staff...it's just not "luxury" in most senses of the word and most experiences...even the upgraded sheets and towels supposedly in Aqua Class are not luxury. The food is certainly not luxury....etc.

Modern Luxury is used as a marketing tag line, not a mission statement. I think most people understand that.

'they' implies that you tested many of them. Really? Or are you generalising from the bed(s) in your particular cabin? If so, that's of very limited statistical significance.

Sruart

Modern Luxury is used as a marketing tag line, not a mission statement. I think most people understand that.

It sets expectations...and I think it's misaligned as a tag line.

I think Celebrity works well for a lot of people...I am just pointing out what to expect and not expect. Don't expect luxury: don't expect super comfortable beds, fine linens and fluffy towels, food that makes you go wow, or even hair dryers that function effectively. Also, don't expect a pool chair on the main pool deck unless you get up and put your stuff on one by approx 7:30 on cruise days. Don't expect to go anywhere fast, because the elevators will be full and stop at every floor, often with long waits to just arrive...expect to take the stairs...frankly, I think the M class ships are too small/tight for 2500 people.

Do expect a staff that tries to go out of it's way to please you and decent, if not distinctive food. I do think a cruise is a good option for a family or a family re-union...sort of something for everyone...just set your expectations accordingly.

We did travel on Reflection this winter in a RS and obviously it's a very different experience: the ship itself is much better/nicer, and eating in a specialty restaurant every night makes a big difference, and of course the room itself, the service, and amenities are not comparable -- perhaps the hair dryer was the same ineffective item...

But at $65/night per person for a specialty restaurant, plus tip...not something most people are going to want to do x 6 people ($450/night)...especially with small children and grandparents who really won't/don't appreciate the difference...so, there's no practical option for dinner meals, except Blu, which is blase at best, although acceptable for breakfasts (slow and often not served hot, but acceptable...and great OJ).

So, for us, it worked and we had a good time, but I wouldn't call it luxury and some things could and should have been better, which I have identified....obviously, a lot of people love the core product that Celebrity provides...the ships are full and the company is making a lot of money...some people love the food in Blu and think it's amazing (generally a minority opinion)...so, there's naturally a range of opinions.

Edited by soxfan2013

'they' implies that you tested many of them. Really? Or are you generalising from the bed(s) in your particular cabin? If so, that's of very limited statistical significance.

Sruart

We had three adjacent Aqua cabins...they (the beds) all seemed the same to me.

I think Celebrity works well for a lot of people...I am just pointing out what to expect and not expect. Don't expect luxury: don't expect super comfortable beds, fine linens and fluffy towels, food that makes you go wow, or even hair dryers that function effectively. Also, don't expect a pool chair on the main pool deck unless you get up and put your stuff on one by approx 7:30 on cruise days. Don't expect to go anywhere fast, because the elevators will be full and stop at every floor, often with long waits to just arrive...expect to take the stairs...frankly, I think the M class ships are too small/tight for 2500 people.

Do expect a staff that tries to go out of it's way to please you and decent, if not distinctive food. I do think a cruise is a good option for a family or a family re-union...sort of something for everyone...just set your expectations accordingly.

We did travel on Reflection this winter in a RS and obviously it's a very different experience: the ship itself is much better/nicer, and eating in a specialty restaurant every night makes a big difference, and of course the room itself, the service, and amenities are not comparable -- perhaps the hair dryer was the same ineffective item...

But at $65/night per person for a specialty restaurant, plus tip...not something most people are going to want to do x 6 people ($450/night)...especially with small children and grandparents who really won't/don't appreciate the difference...so, there's no practical option for dinner meals, except Blu, which is blase at best, although acceptable for breakfasts (slow and often not served hot, but acceptable...and great OJ).

So, for us, it worked and we had a good time, but I wouldn't call it luxury and some things could and should have been better, which I have identified....obviously, a lot of people love the core product that Celebrity provides...the ships are full and the company is making a lot of money...some people love the food in Blu and think it's amazing (generally a minority opinion)...so, there's naturally a range of opinions.

Would it not have been better just to point out a list of things you were not happy with in the one thread ? Just makes for easier reading than having to switch between multiple threads.

Pehaps you would be better served to write a review of your cruise encompassing all you liked and did not like, rather than writing several negative forum posts on individual items that did not meet your expectations. The review area is set up for people to provide their overall opinions of a cruise, which is why other members cannot respond to reviews (they are OPINIONS). The forum areas are intended for sharing of information and ongoing back and forth exchange between various members, so you should expect to get replies contrary to your views.

Would it not have been better just to point out a list of things you were not happy with in the one thread ? Just makes for easier reading than having to switch between multiple threads.

I could have done that...for me, I thought it would be more helpful for people to have items/discussions individually identified...so, if someone is interested in Blu or Aqua, that's one thing...issues with mattresses and hair dryers is another...perspectives on shore excursions in Bermuda for families is another. Perhaps I could have grouped things more...I thought individual threads made it easier for people searching and reading.

Pehaps you would be better served to write a review of your cruise encompassing all you liked and did not like' date=' rather than writing several negative forum posts on individual items that did not meet your expectations. The review area is set up for people to provide their overall opinions of a cruise, which is why other members cannot respond to reviews (they are OPINIONS). The forum areas are intended for sharing of information and ongoing back and forth exchange between various members, so you should expect to get replies contrary to your views.[/quote']

I use the forums a lot to make plans (which level of cabin to book, which cabin to book with a class, what to do about dining, which packages would I take, what excursions should I consider) and set expectations.

Had I read the responses to some of my threads, we would have taken a hair dryer and made more of an effort on Day 1 to insist that the cabin steward find a way to make out bed so that we didn't feel the crack, because other people have validated in these threads that the hair dryers are bad and the beds can be made in way that people don't feel the cracks...so for me, it would have been more helpful seeing these things in separate threads.

I tend not to read the reviews because they are long and I'm more looking for input or perspectives on individual questions. Maybe others use these forums differently.

Celebrity is a mass market line, albeit one of the nicer ones ( in my opinion) it seems that you would be happier on a more upscale line, maybe try Paul Gauguin or Viking Ocean, (new ships on Viking) maybe Oceania would suit.

The thing is, to me a vacation is a big outlay of time & money, so I research before I go, (some would say I over research)

There's plenty of info out there that would have given you a heads up to all the issues you've brought up... a basic cruise ship cabin (anything under an upper suite) will never give you the same comforts/amenities as a five star hotel room.

I loved the M class ships back in the day, now, I would only sail on one if the itinerary was truly incredible.

When did it go to $65/pp?

Celebrity is a mass market line, albeit one of the nicer ones ( in my opinion) it seems that you would be happier on a more upscale line, maybe try Paul Gauguin or Viking Ocean, (new ships on Viking) maybe Oceania would suit.

The thing is, to me a vacation is a big outlay of time & money, so I research before I go, (some would say I over research)

There's plenty of info out there that would have given you a heads up to all the issues you've brought up... a basic cruise ship cabin (anything under an upper suite) will never give you the same comforts/amenities as a five star hotel room.

I loved the M class ships back in the day, now, I would only sail on one if the itinerary was truly incredible.

I think that's a good and accurate description of Celebrity: "a mass market line, albeit a nicer one."

As I have noted, in this case, we were traveling with two small children and two grandparents where more "luxury" would have been wasted...so, Celebrity fit the bill in terms of this trip.

I certainly didn't expect a five star hotel room in terms of luxury...I was generally disappointed by the food and service in Blu (but not the staff), but so seem many/most people, but liked the ambiance.

Again, had I read abt the wimpy hair dryers and how people have dealt with the cracks in the beds, I would have been more prepared for those issues and we would have brought a hair dryer and insisted on getting the beds made properly, knowing from others that it can be done. Personally, I didn't find the beds/mattresses particularly comfortable or uncomfortable...nor the sheets, towels, and duvet, but they were adequate.

I think my perspectives on whether it's "worth it" to upgrade to Aqua Class and the discussion which has ensued are helpful for others considering the same thing. Frankly, I think all these discussions are helpful, which is why I posted them.

Edited by soxfan2013