GRRRR - price reductions

bccanadamom

Hi - thanks first to all the great advice I've found on this site :)

I just booked our first NCL cruise on the Sun on Oct 2nd - was a good deal, we are travelling with our son and got the beverage package and a reduced price for him (he's six).

Less than 2 days later the package now offers the beverage package AND 3rd/4th free. That's $387 less than what I paid less than 2 days ago! We are within 30 days of departure so no option to cancel and rebook. (and we are past the 48 hours for the online form submission as I didn't happen to notice this on their site until later in the 2nd day - but the promo was in effect earlier in the day according to my TA).

My travel agent has escalated this to management but they won't budge. Okay - so I knew booking that this could happen and that their policy isn't to match pricing - but the difference is more than 10%!!!

Leaves a very sour taste and although I won't let it ruin our holiday I will definitely NOT be putting NCL at the top of our list in the future based on their pricing policies. Especially when they "pressure" you not-so-subtly on their site to book now as their specials all end on August 31st!

Anyone have any more positive experiences with the same situation?

>>Please don't tell me I knew what could happen so I shouldn't complain - I have already had that talk with myself, but it really doesn't make me feel too much better tonight :(

It's just like on airlines. Prices will fluctuate based on demand. Yes there is always the possibility that the price will go down but there is also the possibility that the price will go up. You just need to make a choice when clicking the submit button if it's a price you are comfortable with. 10% doesn't sound like that much as maybe they needed to reduce it to entice more people. Sorry for your frustration but that's the way it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That really stinks, and I would be just as unhappy as you were. I'm super frugal and a big researcher, so even overspending a few dollars really irritates me when I know just showing a coupon or knowing something I didn't know could've saved us money.

That being said, I don't think you should let it move NCL down on the list....I don't know of any cruise line that would hand you back $387 "just to be nice". You could ask about a possible upgrade perhaps? I think Carnival is the only one that offers cash back after final payment and even then I think it's only if you booked their non refundable fare before final payment occurred. So sucky? Totally....but not really something to begrudge the cruise line for.

Basically the same thing happened to me when I booked our flights for November cruise. I watched prices many times a day from Jan thru August. I finally gave up and booked the flights and times I didn't really want because of high prices. Then 2 days later the price dropped $200 a ticket and the dates and times I wanted were available. I shouldn't have looked once I booked. Oh well there is nothing I can do about it. Don't let it get you down.

One time I was in your situation. Booked my cruise (on another line) within final payment time. I saw the price. But I waited a few days and the prices went up. Cost me. You could have waited and the price and perks could have easily gone up.

Edited by DMH15

I just booked our first NCL cruise on the Sun on Oct 2nd - was a good deal, we are travelling with our son and got the beverage package and a reduced price for him (he's six).

Less than 2 days later the package now offers the beverage package AND 3rd/4th free. That's $387 less than what I paid less than 2 days ago! We are within 30 days of departure so no option to cancel and rebook. (and we are past the 48 hours for the online form submission as I didn't happen to notice this on their site until later in the 2nd day - but the promo was in effect earlier in the day according to my TA).

My travel agent has escalated this to management but they won't budge. Okay - so I knew booking that this could happen and that their policy isn't to match pricing - but the difference is more than 10%!!!

Leaves a very sour taste and although I won't let it ruin our holiday I will definitely NOT be putting NCL at the top of our list in the future based on their pricing policies. Especially when they "pressure" you not-so-subtly on their site to book now as their specials all end on August 31st!

>>Please don't tell me I knew what could happen so I shouldn't complain - I have already had that talk with myself, but it really doesn't make me feel too much better tonight :(

I feel your frustration but it happens everyday in this industry specially with the airlines. I missed out on the NCL Jewel on this month's 10 day sailing. I was wacthing the fares going down and missed out when it bottomed out "thinking" it will go further down. But instead it started to go up and up and I finally gave up.

Then I got a great deal on a repositioning and then book my airfare to come back home. Lo and behold 2 days after I booked my aifare it went down $100pp. Was I upset? Of course. But somehow with the airlines we all take it and accept it. Why is it more acceptable when this happens in the airline industry but not with the cruiseline?

That's the nature of a lot of businesses nowadays. Are you in the stock market?..Prices go up and down within an hour!

Dont let it bother you and enjoy your trip.

Good

You didn't say what cabin you had, but you may be able to get a free upgrade to a better cabin. For example, on one cruise I was able to move from an inside to a balcony cabin for a total of $75 more. I could have upgraded to a lower deck balcony for less (or maybe it was what I had already paid), But I wanted a deck with other cabins below me. I have also made other moves around after final payment. Your TA may be able to do something for you in that regard.

Technically the price hasn't dropped on your cabin because your cabins no longer available - its even possible you triggered the maths of how the pricing is calculated for sell offs and cabin fillers - however that's a moot point.

Its happened to us all probably (be it cruising/hotels or airline fairs) but I'm surprised you haven't got something out of the deal.. Every time this has happened in such a short time frame(HAL,Cunard and the last NCL I booked) I have either got an upgrade or had dining added for free if it wasn't there before or OBC. Have never gone through an agent though I just ring direct - nothing to loose.

The other solution is once booked never look again.

You should not give up so easily. Call them back, call your pcc (if you have one) ask to speak to supervisor/manager, call guest relations or try to get transferred up to the resolution department.

You should be able to get something at least. We had issues with our pcc making two errors that somewhat affected our trip and it's our first NCL cruise. Tried resolving issues with pcc and supervisor and was given a time from of up to two weeks and someone "may call back". Spent close to 4 hours one day on the phone calling various departments and finally reached the right person who resolved the issue in 20 min and received a nice OBC also.

Last year had similar issue like you but with an OBC promo amount. Two days after we booked it was $30 more for the room but with an extra $400 obc then what we originally got. It was last min booking so we were past cancellation deadlines. Did not matter, spent probably a good 3 or so hours talking to different people and again reached the right person who resolved the issue and let me pay the extra $30 to get $400 extra OBC.

So my point is. DON'T GIVE UP! - If you have the time, call, call, call, and just maybe you might get lucky and get something out of it. Just be persistent.

GOOD LUCK! :)

I will definitely NOT be putting NCL at the top of our list in the future based on their pricing policies. Especially when they "pressure" you not-so-subtly on their site to book now as their specials all end on August 31st!

Realize going forward that all cruise lines will now "NOT be on the top of your list", since they all have the same policy. :rolleyes:

Basically the same thing happened to me when I booked our flights for November cruise. I watched prices many times a day from Jan thru August. I finally gave up and booked the flights and times I didn't really want because of high prices. Then 2 days later the price dropped $200 a ticket and the dates and times I wanted were available. I shouldn't have looked once I booked. Oh well there is nothing I can do about it. Don't let it get you down.

I fly southwest when I can, they won't refund you but they have given me a credit to use toward another flight

it always changes. A month ago my fare went down, called they upgraded me from a balcony to a spa balcony. Few days later went down again gave me a $100 OBC. Said to keep watching might go down more and maybe able to move me to a mini suite. It didn't went back up to more than I paid. This is the first time it happened to me. Other times the fares never went down only up.

Morale of the story...call and ask or don' t watch the fares you can go crazy, or if they change(price drop). Ask, it doesn't hurt. This happens with everything, the other day I was in a store I dress I bought a couple of months ago was marked down 60 percent

Welcome to cruise critic. I assume since you are so angry about the price going down and not getting a credit you would have no problem paying extra if the price would have gone up?

Our cabin for our Asia cruise went up 2500 dollars 2 days after booking

Enjoy your cruise, as others have said it happens.

NCL are running a business. Happens in travel, hotels, cruises, car sales, clothing etc every day.

I go to the super market and buy something two days later it's on special I am not going to get to a refund/freebie etc....

We are within 30 days of departure so no option to cancel and rebook.
You can still cancel the 3rd passenger with no penalty, up to 14 days before the cruise. Make sure your TA is aware of this.

I'm not saying you can cancel him and add him back at the current price (free). Ask your TA, but I don't think so. In fact it's very possible that you won't be able to add him back in at all. But since your problem is apparently that you no longer feel like you should have to pay for your son's cruise, you do have the option of taking him off the booking and going without him.

Leaves a very sour taste and although I won't let it ruin our holiday I will definitely NOT be putting NCL at the top of our list in the future based on their pricing policies.

We have all had this happen! Either with airlines or cruise lines. They drop the prices to fill the cabins. The only consolation is that usually the cabins they are filling are the least desirable ones under the pool deck or gym, or forward on lower decks where the anchoring will wake you up at 5 AM.

The cruise lines are trying to avoid this. NCL and RCL are both trying to move away from deep discounting right before the cruise to "fill cabins" and trying to make it so the earlier you book, the less expensive the cabins are. RCL calls it "Price Integrity" while I'm not sure what NCL calls it. But it will be a long transition because they have trained their customers to try and get the best price by waiting until after the final payment is due.

I think the best way to avoid this frustration is to stop looking at the prices after you've book and past the time where you can get price drops. I scan airline prices like crazy before I book. I book at what I think is the best price I can get at the time and then I never look at them again. Well, unless it's Southwest, where you could get a credit.

Same with my cruise. Until final payment, I check the promotions and prices to see if I can get a better deal. Once I'm locked in, I don't look at the prices, the promotion emails or anything.

I think the best way to avoid this frustration is to stop looking at the prices after you've book and past the time where you can get price drops. I scan airline prices like crazy before I book. I book at what I think is the best price I can get at the time and then I never look at them again. Well, unless it's Southwest, where you could get a credit.

Same with my cruise. Until final payment, I check the promotions and prices to see if I can get a better deal. Once I'm locked in, I don't look at the prices, the promotion emails or anything.

Agree.

If it was that close to the end of a promo, your TA should have know about the new promo and be able to advise you to hold off, or go for it. It could be he was more interested in his bottom line since the change would result in a cheaper fare and less commission for him where as the free perks don't affect him that much.

I'm also not sure I would leave this in the hands of a TA to deal with.. They have no real incentive to keep trying more than once; they got there commission when you completed and it can take a lot of (free) phone time.

I do agree though the morale is if your happy with the price when you paid - stay happy and don't look at the prices again. If you do - ring direct and see if they will give you a sweetener. (and trust me if at first you dont succeed, just dial again and speak to a different agent)

You're entitled to do what you want, but the policy is being applied correctly. If they caved in and gave YOU the price reduction after final payment then they would have to give it to everyone. So you can decide to never cruise on NCL again if you wish, but fair is fair. This is the policy. They applied it correctly. All cruise lines will reduce prices and increase promos from time to time. You should not feel slighted by the fact they have reduced prices or gave a better promo to try to fill the ship.

If you feel bad about it, that is entirely on you. Only you can control your emotions. Personally I would focus on having a great vacation just like you were before you figured out the price went down.