Princess to Hawaii -- does it feel Hawaiian?

jasbo49

I've been looking at a Grand Princess RT to Hawaii out of San Francisco. My main misgiving is that my wife and I have always thought flying there and spending two weeks in one place was the most relaxing and satisfying way to see Hawaii.

A 15-night trip with only four days actually spent on an island just seemed senseless.

But now I'm seeing it in a new light, partly after seeing posts here that the ship offers a new view of the islands. And I'm reading (mostly on the Princess website and a little bit here) that the whole trip is Hawaiian, not just the middle part when you're in Hawaiian waters. I guess there are ukelele classes, Hawaiian food, etc.

So I'm wondering whether people who've been on one of these found the Hawaiiana to be a part of the whole 15-day experience or just a superficial overlay. I know some people have recommended cruising with Elua, a couple who provided the cultural element, but I don't suppose I can know now who's on the ship in April 2017. That's when I want to go, because of a special date.

Jim

Princess does have several Hawaiian themed events on the trip to and from Hawaii.

I would highly recommend that you look at the schedule for Elua and try to book one of the cruises they are on. He gives ukulele lessons, she gives hulu lessons, and they give lei-making lessons as where as several other activities.

They have posted their schedule for next year on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Eluamusic/). They will mostly be on the Ruby Princess out of Los Angeles.

Princess has other people as Hawaiian Ambassadors on some of the other Hawaiian cruises, but I have not sailed with them so I can't comment on them personally.

There are several threads in this forum on Cruise Critic about them and other Princess Hawaiian Ambassadors. They posted their schedule for 2014-2015 through November 2015 in the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2106988&highlight=eula. You may try a thread search to find other threads discussing this program on Princess.

My opinion is that the Aloha Spirit Program is a big improvement over having nothing Hawaiian a decade ago.

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/hawaii-cruises/cruises/aloha_spirit/

It also depends upon what type of "Hawaiiana" experience you expect...most probably prefer experiences many tourists expect & to me this program provides such experiences.

We've enjoyed cruising with Elua but even Dave said the other Hawaiian performers who lead activities are great & passenger posts say the same thing.

I would also recommend this wonderful show during the evening in Honolulu: Halau Hula Olana (Honolulu only) – This popular dance troupe is made up of 30 children (keiki) between the ages of 6 and 16 from the most revered hula school in Hawaii and is a perennial winner of prestigious hula competitions throughout Hawaii.

Even though these food & drinks are not as good as at Hawaiian restaurants it's better than what we had a decade ago on a Princess Hawaiian cruise...nothing! ;)

"As the destination experts, we've created an all-encompassing Hawaii cruise experience that gets you into the "Aloha Spirit" the moment you step onboard! Throughout your journey, you'll enjoy a variety of island activities from hands-on demonstrations to cultural events and lectures, and of course, freshly prepared authentic Hawaiian cuisine".

ENGAGING CULTURAL ACTIVITIES

Aloha-Sail Away Deck party

Learn to strum a ukulele

Hawaii-themed movies

Enjoy Hawaiian melodies performed poolside

Weave a fresh flower lei

Sample Hawaii's famous Kona coffee

Enrichment programs featuring a dedicated naturalist as well as lecturers

Halau Hula Olana (Honolulu only) – This popular dance troupe is made up of 30 children (keiki) between the ages of 6 and 16 from the most revered hula school in Hawaii and is a perennial winner of prestigious hula competitions throughout Hawaii.

Let loose at a hula dance lesson

Classes in the art of tying a sarong

Participate in a tropical rum tasting

Compete in Hawaii-themed trivia games

Take part in a native language class

Dive into a Hawaiian culinary demonstration

And more!

Note: Activities available vary by ship.

GREAT TASTING HAWAIIAN-INSPIRED DISHES, FRESHLY PREPARED

Appetizers & Soups

Hawaiian Style Red Snapper Ceviche

Caramelized Maui Onion Soup

Crusted Mahi-Mahi with Crab Bisque

Kona-Style Vegetable Lumpia with Spicy Mango Sauce

Grilled Ono Steak with Lime Butter

Grilled Tiger Shrimp Kebabs, Mango Lime Relish

Seared Yellowfin Tuna on Cucumber-Fennel Slaw

Main Courses

Togarashi-Seared Red Snapper with Haricots Verts Salad

Wok-Flashed Shrimp with Lehua Honey

Kalua Duck with Plum Wine Sauce

Luau Pork with Apricot Drippings, Runner Beans & Smoked Bacon Fricassee

Desserts

Flourless Macadamia Nut Chocolate Cake

Hawaiian Haupia Pudding with Coconut and Vanilla

Flambéed Pineapples

Drinks

Ultimate Mai Tai

Blue Hawaiian Punch

Themed Buffets (sample dishes)

Golden Dragon Buffet – Green Seafood Curry, Crispy Duck in Plum Hoisin Sauce, Chili Beef with Cashew Nuts and Oyster Sauce, Singapore Noodles with Prawns and Spicy Pork

Sushi Station – Nigiri (Ahi Tuna, Salmon, Shrimp, Tamago), Cut Rolls (Salmon & Cream Cheese, Asparagus & Cucumber, Pickled Daikon & Pineapple, Avocado/Papaya/Mango)

Hawai'i Island Night (sample dishes)

Kamehameha Fruit Soup

Hawaiian Suckling Pig

Lomi Lomi Salmon

Pipikalua Cured Beef

Kona Style Ahi Poke

Polynesian Chicken Pupu

Oyster Sauce Marinated Pork Spareribs

Shredded Kalua Pig in Ti Leaves

Pineapple Macadamia Nut Bread

Five Spice Chocolate Mousse

Baked Hawaii

Chocolate-Dipped Fruits

Pineapple Flambé

Beverage Promotion: Ultimate Mai Tai - Hawaiian Tropics - Paradise Punch

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have done this cruise 4 times. I did it mainly for the days at sea.

If you really want to see Hawaii then I say fly over there for a couple of weeks and maybe hit a couple of islands. I have done both and am starting to think about just spending about 10 days on Kauai or Maui. That is how you get the real Hawaiian feel.

If you like sea days and want to get a feel for the islands to help decide which islands you would like to go back to and stay for a few days, then this is a good way to do it.

WCC

We did this cruise three times, the first b.e. (before Elua). My daughter (8 at that time) and hubby both took the uke class, taught by one of the musicians in the deck band. There was lei making lessons, but for a charge for materials. I think there were hula classes.

There was definitely a step up in the cultural program when we took the next cruise (2010-11). I learned to make orchid and ribbon leis and took the series of hula classes. Every day, it seemed, you can track down where Elua was performing up on deck or in the Piazza. I felt that this program was unique among most cruises -- that if you were placed on the ship without any info about itinerary, you would soon know you were headed to Hawaiian.

Both my hubby and I have each been to Hawaii on land trips before (the second time was for our honeymoon) so we've been to many of the sites to see. The Big Island was new for us.

I would think for those new to Hawaii, this cruise is great as it'll give one an idea of how different four of the islands are so that if going back for a longer land trip, it'll narrow down which island(s) to stay at. For those who are like me and hate flying, it's a good way of getting to Hawaii without having to fly (as long as you don't have to fly to SD, LA or SF). And for those who have been to Hawaii on land trips and want a relaxing cruise, this is a great cruise with all the sea days.

Hmm - you obviously like to cruise so what about seven days aboard NCL Pride of America, followed by seven days on one of the islands. That way you will not "waste" any days sailing from the mainland to Hawaii.

Hmm - you obviously like to cruise so what about seven days aboard NCL Pride of America, followed by seven days on one of the islands. That way you will not "waste" any days sailing from the mainland to Hawaii.

That's a better way to see Hawaii for those who have not been there often & a flight is obviously fast faster but not nearly as much fun as a cruise.

I've been to Hawaii many times so for me a Princess cruise works best...no flights, get to enjoy a cruise and get to Island-hop without flying interisland.

I think both are good options. :)

I thought the 15 day Hawaiian cruise was just silly, until we took the cruise! It was wonderful to have relaxing sea days filled with as much Hawaiian immersion as you wanted. There was always Hawaian music playing somewhere. The bar staff was dressed in Aloha shirts. It was festive.

If you have never been to the islands this cruise might be disappointing. We have been able to spend time in Maui and Kauai several times. The cruise gives us the fun of connecting with friends on the islands and lots of time to do nothing or everything.

We cruised on the Grand in 2014 and are doing it again next month. Needless to say, cruising out of our home port is a huge draw!!!!

Cheers, Denise

I cant wait to go again and I have done this trip 3 times already.

ELUA has announced their schedule and it looks like they are on the RUBY Princess's Hawaiian trips this next year. Here is their newly posted schedule.

Dawn Princess September 18-30, 2015 (Sydney)

Star Princess October 14-29, 2015 (Vancouver)

Ruby Princess November 15-30, 2015 (LA)

Ruby Princess December 18, 2015-January 2, 2016 (LA)

Ruby Princess January 9-24, 2016 (LA)

Ruby Princess February 14-28, 2016 (LA)

Ruby Princess March 24-April 8, 2016 (LA)

Ruby Princess April 18-May 3, 2016 (LA)

Edited by MTJSR

My vote goes for the Princess cruise from California. Have done 3 from San Pedro. I've also done the NCL cruise and it is not for my taste. Once I did Hilo, Kona, Maui, and Kauai with a fly anywhere for a week promotion. Flew to Hilo and Kona on different days and parked myself on Kauai and Maui for the remainder of the time. That was great! Keep in mind, that I am also a "displaced local girl" who misses everything Hawaiian and have been to all of the islands at one time or another.

If you chose to do the Grand, make sure you on on the ship with Cruise Director Dave Cole. He will give you quite an immersion into the islands with his lectures and ukulele lessons. But he isn't there for very long (maybe to the end of the year). If not, equally enjoyable is ELUA (Dave and Leialoha) on the Ruby out of San Pedro.

By cruising with Princess, you will experience Hawaiiana from the moment you step on the ship. Have fun planning your cruise.

I have done this cruise 5 times thus far .... 4xs from San Pedro and once from SFO, I have to say I much prefer embarking and disembarking in San Pedro, as things just seem better organized in that port.

The first time we went was in 2006, and I don't recall much of a Hawaiian ambiance on the ship. That's not to say that we did not enjoy the cruise though. I don't remember when ELUA was brought onboard, but I know it got so much better. Lots of Hawaiian influences and activities throughout the cruise, making it much more fun and creating a Hawaii spirit.

I've been looking at a Grand Princess ....

A 15-night trip with only four days actually spent on an island just seemed senseless.

But now I'm seeing it in a new light, partly after seeing posts here that the ship offers a new view of the islands. And I'm reading (mostly on the Princess website and a little bit here) that the whole trip is Hawaiian, not just the middle part when you're in Hawaiian waters. I guess there are ukelele classes, Hawaiian food, etc.

Jim

In my humble opinion one can not compare a 15 day cruise with 4 Hawaiian port days to full immersion of 14 days on the islands.

Yes the cruise is enjoyable and as people say the sea days are relaxing but that is not the equivalent to spending time on a beach in Hawaii

One can get a taste of Hawaii during a day tour of an island but it is not the same as a week or two.

One can immerse in films, travelogues, read books, listen to music, watch cultural dances and shows even take ukulele lessons in the comfort of ones own home with the internet maybe cook your own Loco Moco.

But why even bother going to New York or Paris if one takes that approach.

A friend called last year and asked if cruising from Vancouver to Hawaii was a good way to see the islands. They have limited funds and I told them if it is a bucket list item then save up, fly and spend time there.

Another friend did a cruise and stated that after walking off the ship and spending the morning in Waikiki she thought the island of Oahu was a disappointment and not worth visiting.

People vacation in different ways and have different expectations.

An example of this was highlighted to me on a trip to New York with friends. I expressed desire in going on the ferry and seeing the Statue Of Liberty stating I had never seen it.

A member of the group of friends going voiced surprise that I had not seen it as I had been to New York a few times before and she had seen it multiple times.

I asked her how she had toured it and she responded she had never been out to it but had seen it from the bus every time she came to the city.

To each there own.

Aloha

Since we have only been to Hawaii once, and that was by cruising, I guess that gives us a limited experience.

However I can tell you that if the money & cabin space had been available, we would have jumped right back on the Golden Princess and gone again! We met great people and of course Elua was our Hawaiian Ambassador group.

Since there is no way we could fly (medical) that far, cruising is the answer for us. Yes it would have nice to have more time on each island and see more things, but that is what B2B cruises are for.

I guess we will just have to settle for another Hawaiian cruise and this time we are adding Samoa, Pago Pago, Bora Bora. Moorea and Tahiti to this one. :p That's what's great about Retirement.....plenty of time! :eek: :D

Just Mike

I have done this cruise 5 times thus far .... 4xs from San Pedro and once from SFO, I have to say I much prefer embarking and disembarking in San Pedro, as things just seem better organized in that port.

I would have agreed with you however San Francisco now has a new dedicated cruise terminal and it is beautiful. The location at pier 27 is just perfect and the park like setting wonderful. Easy on and easy off.

I would have agreed with you however San Francisco now has a new dedicated cruise terminal and it is beautiful. The location at pier 27 is just perfect and the park like setting wonderful. Easy on and easy off.

+1 LIKE!

Cheers, Denise

I have cruised to Hawaii from LA three times, and I have visited Hawaii thee times by flying there and staying in hotels. Both are great!

A great thing about cruises: you don't have that long flight, if you live East or Midwest. I hate the long flights. Four hours to LA isn't so bad.

On Hawaii cruises, I really like the enrichment lecturers. They cover Hawaii history, plants, and wildlife. All have been great, on three Hawaii cruises.

The shore excursions are wonderful, especially Maui whale watching and also Pearl Harbor and the battleship Missouri.

Sailing into Honolulu and Hilo are wonderful sights.

Hawaii and/or Polynesian themed movies are fun.

Either way, you can't go wrong!

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

I have been to Hawaii many many times and have also done the Hawaiian cruise from SF 2 times. Princess totally makes every effort to give you an Hawaiian feel and experience before you reach the islands. You only need to participate in those activities such as ukulele lessons, lei making classes, going to some of the lectures especially if they are done by a cruise director named David Cole etc. For me what a Princess cruise to Hawaii does is give me a taste of Hawaii. Then afterwards you can decide if you want to fly there and stay awhile.

ps, my favorite island is Kauai.

Since we have only been to Hawaii once, and that was by cruising, I guess that gives us a limited experience.

However I can tell you that if the money & cabin space had been available, we would have jumped right back on the Golden Princess and gone again! We met great people and of course Elua was our Hawaiian Ambassador group.

Since there is no way we could fly (medical) that far, cruising is the answer for us. Yes it would have nice to have more time on each island and see more things, but that is what B2B cruises are for.

I guess we will just have to settle for another Hawaiian cruise and this time we are adding Samoa, Pago Pago, Bora Bora. Moorea and Tahiti to this one. :p That's what's great about Retirement.....plenty of time! :eek: :D

Just Mike

All experience is valid regardless of how short and I would not say one was "settling with a Hawaiian cruise". It is something most envy!

Before we retired we used cruising as a way to sample as many destinations as possible just to get a taste and the flavor for the country or city. This helped us to better plan what destinations we want to spend land vacations in.

We cruised Hawaii to Australia two years ago and opted to fly to Hawaii and spend 10 days on Oahu and Maui instead of cruising over. You will get a good bite out of the South Pacific with your next cruise. We are heading back for the month of Feb this year.

Enjoy your cruise and I can appreciate the cost of health insurance.

In my humble opinion one can not compare a 15 day cruise with 4 Hawaiian port days to full immersion of 14 days on the islands.

Yes the cruise is enjoyable and as people say the sea days are relaxing but that is not the equivalent to spending time on a beach in Hawaii

One can get a taste of Hawaii during a day tour of an island but it is not the same as a week or two.

One can immerse in films, travelogues, read books, listen to music, watch cultural dances and shows even take ukulele lessons in the comfort of ones own home with the internet maybe cook your own Loco Moco.

But why even bother going to New York or Paris if one takes that approach.

A friend called last year and asked if cruising from Vancouver to Hawaii was a good way to see the islands. They have limited funds and I told them if it is a bucket list item then save up, fly and spend time there.

Another friend did a cruise and stated that after walking off the ship and spending the morning in Waikiki she thought the island of Oahu was a disappointment and not worth visiting.

People vacation in different ways and have different expectations.

An example of this was highlighted to me on a trip to New York with friends. I expressed desire in going on the ferry and seeing the Statue Of Liberty stating I had never seen it.

A member of the group of friends going voiced surprise that I had not seen it as I had been to New York a few times before and she had seen it multiple times.

I asked her how she had toured it and she responded she had never been out to it but had seen it from the bus every time she came to the city.

To each there own.

Aloha

The same can be said of any location. I was born and raised in Vancouver. When my DH and I moved back there for a few years I insisted we do the "tourist" things. I wanted him to see more of Vancouver than home, work and home. Going on a cruise to anywhere is going to get you the same thing. A short time in a port. Spending a week or two in a location is a totally different thing. It all comes down to what a person is looking for. For me, on top of a cruise and seeing new places it lets me know where I want to come back to.

First off, all the different modes to see the Hawaiian islands mentioned sound good. Everyone has different needs.

DH and I lived on Oahu for 3 1/2 years and mostly loved it.

When we decided to do the cruise to the islands it was because we wanted to exhale and take a long cruise. Since we had lived on Oahu and I hadn't seen any of the other islands on the itinerary, we thought this would be a good idea.

For us it was absolutely perfect! From the entertainment, the lectures, the atmosphere, the food and the short visits to the islands.

My husband did not want to get off the ship and if it wasn't for that we are still working we probably would of done turn around! :D

We will be doing this again, after we do the Panama Canal! :D

Thanks for responses, everyone. It sounds like Princess is trying to make it 15 days that feel like Hawaii, which is what I wanted to know.

People can obviously take their posts in whatever direction they want, but just to clarify:

-- We're not debating what cruise line to take. We have decided to focus on Princess for a while. If we took another cruise line, it would not be NCL. I don't think I could drag my wife onto another NCL ship for free after our last cruise with them.

-- It's unlikely we'd go out of L.A. We can drive to S.F. in 6 hours and not much gain in blood pressure. A drive to L.A. is virtually out of the question because it's more like 12 hours and we HATE driving in So Cal.

-- We've flown to Hawaii at least a dozen times, usually staying for two weeks at a time, so we know what a land vacation there is like, and we love it. We're not really comparing a land vacation vs. a cruise vacation.

Mostly I'm trying to decide between this and other vacations (Bermuda cruise, a trip to Ireland and so on). But I've been wondering whether my wife would be satisfied that this was a true Hawaiian vacation when just four days were spend on Hawaiian Islands. In the end, it's my call because we're celebrating the 10th anniversary of me quitting smoking, but I don't want to pick something she won't be happy with.

Jim

I've been looking at a Grand Princess RT to Hawaii out of San Francisco. My main misgiving is that my wife and I have always thought flying there and spending two weeks in one place was the most relaxing and satisfying way to see Hawaii.

So I'm wondering whether people who've been on one of these found the Hawaiiana to be a part of the whole 15-day experience or just a superficial overlay. I know some people have recommended cruising with Elua, a couple who provided the cultural element, but I don't suppose I can know now who's on the ship in April 2017. That's when I want to go, because of a special date.

Jim

It really depends on what you want.

If you want to experience Hawaii fly and spend a few weeks.

If you want a cruise (for whatever reason flying is a problem, just love cruisng or something else), then cruise.