A Summit Review

lovelife

What a great review and photos. I was on the cruise before yours, 8/16-8/23,

loved it. My first time with Celebrity and was quite impressed. We only ate in the main dining room and were very happy. Food was always good, enjoyed the Oceanview Café also. Might even go again next summer! Happy sailing.

Bob from NJ

thank you for the very nice review. we too are sailing on Summit on the 20th in aqua class and your pictures have us very excited.

Thanks much!

you said you were heading to the port, where are you sailing now?

Nine-night RCCL Liberty of the Seas to Canada/New England.

Thanks for your review! Your pictures are amazing.

We cruised the week after you. Sounds like we had the same entertainment - The A Capella group, the shows. We had two comedians -- both who were very funny. The liar's club was a riot -- and they did the same pantyhose skit. Capt Leo has such charisma and was very funny. Nice to the see the Captain out and about around the ship. We loved the martini bar and rendezvous lounge. Revelations was just beautiful. The Port vs Starboard contest was great and engaging! Karaoke contestants were amazing. AND of course Bermuda is beautiful.

We typically cruise RCCL, its our favorite, but we cruised Celebrity as my parents arranged this one. Even though the companies are related, they are very different experiences. The major difference - Celebrity is not for families.

The crew/wait staff was great with our kids. We asked for towel animals and they delivered (Small ones) but nonetheless we had a circus of small animals in our cabin by the end of the ship. The cabins were tiny compared to other cruise lines, but still comfortable. Loved the bed - slept soundly.

However, this type of cruise had serious issues with the crotchiness of many other passengers. The average age was probably 75, making my husband and I (in our late 40's) youngsters. We were able to be the hot ones (not) in all the games on deck, etc. An idea of the crotchiness -- two old ladies giving my 9 & 16 yr old the finger and telling them off because my son jumped in the elevator to hold the button before they got out. It was hard to get anywhere the first few days or in and out of the dining room without tripping over a scooter or walker.

It seemed every time my kids turned around they received very rude or odd comments from other passengers through out the trip. Additionally the were kicking the kids out of the outdoor pool pushing them to the smaller pool that was filled with Seniors. It was a mess with 3 days at see and that attitude. The older crowd didn't want to be in the big pool because of the waves and they couldn't stand, the younger kids did, but the Pool butlers were like ****s about this. There was low tolerance for any bit of splashing (from actual swimming) in the pools. Additionally kids club was boring, teen club was tiny and focused on video games. So not like they could hide up there for the week.

I think we have sworn off Celebrity for the time being.. .until we are retired at least - Back to RCCL and NCL for the family friendly atmosphere.

Just want to comment on the pool situation on the Summit. I mentioned on another thread that I didn't feel the Summit was a good fit for kids because of the pools. The big pool very clearly states Adults Only. So the butlers were simply enforcing the rules. The indoor solarium is also adults only. So that only leaves the small pool for all the kids.

Just want to comment on the pool situation on the Summit. I mentioned on another thread that I didn't feel the Summit was a good fit for kids because of the pools. The big pool very clearly states Adults Only. So the butlers were simply enforcing the rules. The indoor solarium is also adults only. So that only leaves the small pool for all the kids.

I wish we had known that before my parents booked the cruise. This is something not shared when you book.

The bigger problem was that the smaller pool that allowed kids was full with seniors... I mean really old seniors so they could not stand a child anywhere near them. And god forbid they splashed as they swam across the way (if they could).... such nasty remarks, evil looks. Its a pool you will get wet.

At the same time- the bigger pool was somewhat empty because the seniors could not hold there footing in the deeper pool. It may have just been how the water was sloshing about. But some interpretation or at least tolerance would have been nice to see. Our kids paid the same price to be on board. From a satisfaction rating it would have been best to reverse the signs, so the seniors didn't feel like they were drowning in the big pool and the kids could do what kids do.

I think all and all, we will stick to RCCL or NCL while they are young. Not fair to anyone involved.

I wish we had known that before my parents booked the cruise. This is something not shared when you book.

The bigger problem was that the smaller pool that allowed kids was full with seniors... I mean really old seniors so they could not stand a child anywhere near them. And god forbid they splashed as they swam across the way (if they could).... such nasty remarks, evil looks. Its a pool you will get wet.

At the same time- the bigger pool was somewhat empty because the seniors could not hold there footing in the deeper pool. It may have just been how the water was sloshing about. But some interpretation or at least tolerance would have been nice to see. Our kids paid the same price to be on board. From a satisfaction rating it would have been best to reverse the signs, so the seniors didn't feel like they were drowning in the big pool and the kids could do what kids do.

I think all and all, we will stick to RCCL or NCL while they are young. Not fair to anyone involved.

Depends on the time of sailing and port of debarkation.

Thank you for a wonderful and complete review. Just one question please, when passing around the Statue of Liberty, would you be on the port side or starboard side if staying on your veranda?

Again thank you for the pictures and review.:cool:

Assuming the captain goes upriver when departing Bayonne, the SOL will be best viewed from the port side of the cruise ship. After the cruise ship turns 180° to head back down the river, the starboard side will have the best view.

IMHO, the best viewing area for the SOL, is an open upper deck so that you can easily move from one side to the other. Also, the cruise ship doesn't go around the SOL, the cruise ship passes by the SOL.

SBtS

Thank you for a wonderful and complete review. Just one question please, when passing around the Statue of Liberty, would you be on the port side or starboard side if staying on your veranda?

Again thank you for the pictures and review.:cool:

Thanks. And the answer is what SailBad said.

I am in my 1st port of Portland, Maine today.

We cruised the week after you. Sounds like we had the same entertainment - The A Capella group, the shows. We had two comedians -- both who were very funny. The liar's club was a riot -- and they did the same pantyhose skit. Capt Leo has such charisma and was very funny. Nice to the see the Captain out and about around the ship. We loved the martini bar and rendezvous lounge. Revelations was just beautiful. The Port vs Starboard contest was great and engaging! Karaoke contestants were amazing. AND of course Bermuda is beautiful.

We typically cruise RCCL, its our favorite, but we cruised Celebrity as my parents arranged this one. Even though the companies are related, they are very different experiences. The major difference - Celebrity is not for families.

The crew/wait staff was great with our kids. We asked for towel animals and they delivered (Small ones) but nonetheless we had a circus of small animals in our cabin by the end of the ship. The cabins were tiny compared to other cruise lines, but still comfortable. Loved the bed - slept soundly.

However, this type of cruise had serious issues with the crotchiness of many other passengers. The average age was probably 75, making my husband and I (in our late 40's) youngsters. We were able to be the hot ones (not) in all the games on deck, etc. An idea of the crotchiness -- two old ladies giving my 9 & 16 yr old the finger and telling them off because my son jumped in the elevator to hold the button before they got out. It was hard to get anywhere the first few days or in and out of the dining room without tripping over a scooter or walker.

It seemed every time my kids turned around they received very rude or odd comments from other passengers through out the trip. Additionally the were kicking the kids out of the outdoor pool pushing them to the smaller pool that was filled with Seniors. It was a mess with 3 days at see and that attitude. The older crowd didn't want to be in the big pool because of the waves and they couldn't stand, the younger kids did, but the Pool butlers were like ****s about this. There was low tolerance for any bit of splashing (from actual swimming) in the pools. Additionally kids club was boring, teen club was tiny and focused on video games. So not like they could hide up there for the week.

I think we have sworn off Celebrity for the time being.. .until we are retired at least - Back to RCCL and NCL for the family friendly atmosphere.

We were on same cruise 30 August but reading this just seems so strange as we were always on deck and never saw any of this. Waves in the big pool??? I was in it daily and never saw any waves or many seniors in the kids pool.

There were more children onboard this cruise than usual for September and most were well-behaved. Only thing we noticed was they were usually without parents and in the Oceanview the kids were lifting food without using the tongs which isn't great for hygiene. My only gripe about kids onboard.

I definitely didn't think the average age was 75 and didn't notice a large amount of walkers or scooters.

It's manners to wait for people to get out of a lift first but those ladies shouldn't have gestured to your son. I didn't come across any crotchiness thankfully on the ship and had a wonderful holiday.

Thanks for your comments. I thought the children on that sailing were very well behaved!

Thanks for a great review! We will be on the Summit next year. I have a question for you though.

The photos of the cabin show the closet (thank you for that!), can you confirm that there is only one shelf for clothing in the closet?

Thank you again,

Lemur

We were on same cruise 30 August but reading this just seems so strange as we were always on deck and never saw any of this. Waves in the big pool??? I was in it daily and never saw any waves or many seniors in the kids pool.

There were more children onboard this cruise than usual for September and most were well-behaved. Only thing we noticed was they were usually without parents and in the Oceanview the kids were lifting food without using the tongs which isn't great for hygiene. My only gripe about kids onboard.

I definitely didn't think the average age was 75 and didn't notice a large amount of walkers or scooters.

It's manners to wait for people to get out of a lift first but those ladies shouldn't have gestured to your son. I didn't come across any crotchiness thankfully on the ship and had a wonderful holiday.

I have to completely agree with you! 75???? No way!!! Maybe when you are younger everyone over 50 looks like 75 but we saw and had dinner with many couples and none of them were 75!

As for scooters and walkers. We did the Grandeur out of Baltimore and that was loaded with walkers and scooters and people over 75. It was also a different time of year. During the week of 8/30 I rarely saw scooters on this cruise.

Thanks for a great review! We will be on the Summit next year. I have a question for you though.

The photos of the cabin show the closet (thank you for that!), can you confirm that there is only one shelf for clothing in the closet?

Thank you again,

Lemur

Thanks! I am not sure about the shelves but I think so.

Thank you again,

Lemur

There is a double door closet for hanging clothes and a single door closet for the safe on a shelf and 4-5 drawers. I believe there is one shelf above the safe.