RC Gratuities - yes or no?

s3r3ne

I think the fault is in the cruise lines, they need to just add the cost in the fare and pay the staff a little extra and then let us tip if we want. For people that really do not want to tip try Sandals resorts which are really nice , all drinks are included and no tipping is allowed , they will fire anyone accepting a tip ( I do not agree with this but it is there policy)

Hi all,

i am organising a cruise for a group and there is no clear answer to gratuities, can anyone advise a yes or no answer?

Q: Is the gratuity required?

A: Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests who have elected to prepay gratuities will not see a daily charge during their cruise.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5539

thanks, serene

I would rather have the money in my pocket

msmayor in post #6 gives you a very detailed way to choose from to handle tips. It is a wonderful summation.

Whether you are organizing a cruise for a group, or not, tips are part of the overall expense a cruiser should expect to be paying. The 'how' to take care of it (as msmayor outlines) can vary. If you are organizing a group of cruisers and will be holding separate group only activities on board it will make even more sense to add to the gratuities because the staff will be doing extra work -- in that case.

In some cultures 'tipping' in not expected nor done -- therefore those people who come from those cultures are unaccustomed to tipping.

And yet roughly 95% of tipping threads are started by Americans, should I tip this person, how much should I give that person, so I wonder why those from non-tipping cultures get confused.

My Take, leave the auto tips in place and if someone makes your cruise extra special think about giving them a bit more.

I will say it again, if you cannot pay the gratuities for the extremely hard working crew, then you cannot afford to cruise.

By the way, as you already know, the crew KNOWS when you have removed the gratuities. There are no camera's in your cabin. That being said, I have read quite a few times some of the disgusting things they do. (use your imagination).:D

I agree that if you can't afford the tip you can't afford the cruise, but I don't think the reasons most people have for removing tips has anything to do with affording it so that is irrelevant.

How do you know I don't keep a security camera in my room? If you are suggesting that they would retaliate for a low or no tip then you are suggesting extortion, similar to a protection racket where rather than a voluntary gratuity for good service it's an obligatory payment to avoid retaliation. If that is the caliber of employee you think they have then they don't deserve anyone's tip and should be removed from their position.

Does this mean in Australia we don't need to tip porters at the airport and cruise terminal?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Exactly what it means.

But don't expect to see many porters at either location either, Aussies haul their own luggage. Likewise when you book into a hotel don't expect a bell-boy to take your luggage off you at the desk, it's just not the norm.

Probably the most common tipping in Australia (and no one will give a bit care f you don't even do this):

Taxi- Keep the change mate (so a fare of say $17.90 give him $20 but feel free to wait for the change if you prefer)

Finer restaurants - maybe 10% or round off to somewhere near there, so a bill of $92 or even $87, make it $100.

At a bar some leave their change on the bar.

And in honesty that's about it. With a minimum wage of around $17 an hour and penalty rates (think time and a half on Saturday) tips aren't really necessary.

Does the airport offer luggage carts for us to put our large luggage in?

Yes.

Some airports there is a charge, others it is a deposit that is returned when the trolley is returned, though even those that charge there is usually a refund of part when you return the trolley.

While many say they would prefer the tip be included in the cruise price, understand that ALL cruise lines would need to do this or the prices for the line that did would seem so much higher than the others, they'd likely lose a lot of business. In addition, that amount would then need to be taxed just like the rest of the cruise price, so everyone would be paying more.

So I keep reading on CC but the experience here in Australia is radically different, see here the Celebrity ships that are based here include grats in the fare, RCCL ships (that only come for the season) don't, yet both still attract plenty of business.

Does anyone know what the indivdual breakdown is within the Dining Room? i like to leave extra and would like to know what my starting point is.

Thanks!

When I saw this query, my first thought was 'why does it matter?' To me if someone deserves extra because they did some things that were special or enhanced my experience, they deserve extra -- regardless of what their starting point was. We have at times given the assistant waiter a larger additional tip than the waiter. It isn't based on their title, but their actions.

A tip is just that a way for you to show gratitude towards the person providing you service. While you are sleeping the behind the scenes crew is working hard and long hours to keep the ship running.

Just imagine how much work the Housekeeping Staff have to work to keep your cabins tidy twice a day. They have to know each preference and if you want your beds apart or together etc.

The Waitstaff works long past your dining time and before your dining time to help with the various duties such as ensuring a clean dining room, ensuring your meals are done in an efficient manner. Just remember the dining staff has pre-meal meetings so they know what is being served. If you have special dietary requests they ensure your meal is ready to go.

A ship is like a city that never stops and while you are off at port the work does not end there the staff have safety drills, cleaning dishes and setting up dinner for when you return.

If you have taken a "Behind the Scenes" tour as I have you will then know what is involved.

While I think Royal should increase the salary of these hard working staff honestly I will keep the daily tips and if I see there is an issue after speaking to the appropriate staff I unfortunately have to adjust the tip because the service did not meet my expectations. I am one to give many chances but if it becomes a repeated issue then of course I can't reward the person for poor service.

My point is don't be self centered when it comes to tipping. As others have pointed out you have paid a lot for the cruise so please be mindful and budget for the tips. How would you feel if you worked these long hours are were not tipped accordingly? Would you decide to stop your contract and perhaps there may be no more cruising?

I'm serious there are people onboard the ship who I have talked to who have thought about quitting due to the low pay little release time being away from their families etc.

I hope this helps you rethink your stance on tipping.

Just imagine how much work the Housekeeping Staff have to work to keep your cabins tidy twice a day. They have to know each preference and if you want your beds apart or together etc.

I'd be happy if they swapped the towels and didn't touch anything else. Just making towels available would be fine, I don't like strangers in my room.

The Waitstaff works long past your dining time and before your dining time to help with the various duties such as ensuring a clean dining room, ensuring your meals are done in an efficient manner.

Like a restaurant with mediocre food.

I'm serious there are people onboard the ship who I have talked to who have thought about quitting due to the low pay little release time being away from their families etc.

Then they should quit. That isn't an argument to tip, it's an argument to boycott a company or industry that is abusing its employees.

Then they should quit. That isn't an argument to tip, it's an argument to boycott a company or industry that is abusing its employees.

If you feel so strongly then do as I do when I feel that way - I vote with my dollars. There are a few companies that I do not agree with and therefore I do not spend money with them. Of course in the case of these large companies, my money is not going to make a difference to them, but it does make a difference to me.

Having said that, I believe that the system we have for tipping people who provide "personal services" is fair. I tip according to customs, which means that for average, expected service, It tip the recommended amount. For poor service I tip less, and for better than average service I tip more. Very, very rarely do I tip less, and most of the time I tip more. As I have said before, this system puts the service provider's pay in the hands of the person who is best at judging it.

For those people from countries who don't understand this, then my advice is, "learn the customs of the country to which you are visiting." If you don't like these customs, then don't visit - i.e. vote with your dollars (or whatever currency you use).

Edited by rudeney

For those people from countries who don't understand this, then my advice is, "learn the customs of the country to which you are visiting." If you don't like these customs, then don't visit

So if you are on a cruise out of Australia (a non-tipping country) that travels to New Zealand (again not a big tipping country) and returns to Australia then its ok to not tip? :confused: Yes its an American company but it bases its ships in Australia for most of the year. When I go to other American companies that set up in Australia they change their practices to cater for their chosen market, for some reason Royal Caribbean choose not to do this.

If you feel so strongly then do as I do when I feel that way - I vote with my dollars. There are a few companies that I do not agree with and therefore I do not spend money with them. Of course in the case of these large companies, my money is not going to make a difference to them, but it does make a difference to me.

I think you meant to reply to travelplus, it was their feeling, I just directed it at the appropriate entity. I don't feel strongly about it at all, if the cabin attendants didn't show up all week I would be very happy with the service.

I have only been a member of CC for a week or two and have found most threads to be informative and helpful.

This thread is one that is the exception to the rule. So many people justify their snide comments as just their opinion, but seriously; the holier than thou attitudes and outright efforts to shame the original poster are quite distressing.

Saying to someone that if they cannot afford to tip they cannot afford to cruise is not just expressing an opinion, it is insulting. Have you considered that it is not about affording the tips but the concern as to why we are made to tip? The same for those who feel the need to justify the culture of tipping purely because the staff are underpaid - How about rallying against the culture of underpaying hard working employees instead of berating someone who has not once said they were NOT going to tip?

Using the - "but the line is based in another country where tipping is customary" twaddle is a composition/division logical fallacy. Just because the US tips has absolutely zip to do with whether or not a ship registered in the Bahamas and staffed internationally should expect citizens from around the world to automatically follow suit.

I did a few sums and even though the math is exceedingly rough I worked out that a ship like the ROS with a full complement of passengers expects around $30000.00 USD a day in gratuities. Rounding down the staff that receive tips to 800 means that each employee can hope for about $38.00 USD extra a day - even if we take it down to 700 staff sharing the gratuities they can still only expect $43.00 USD a day. Roughly $1200.00 USD extra a month. Admittedly a reasonable amount of money for someone who has no rent to pay, no food bills, no utilities and no entertainment bills to speak of for several months of the year. Still, not enough to make anyone rich I would have thought. So even if you adjust that to bring a daily rate up to $50.00 a day - No one is going to be buying any mansions on your dime.

Sure, if the cruise staff are paid more our cruise prices rise - but I would rather have an honest up front cost rather than 'hidden extras'. As it is my pre-paid gratuities added an extra $200.00 AUD to our 6 night cruise - not a bad chunk of change for the unsuspecting.

I have already booked and paid for this cruise but I know that in future I am going to be far more discerning when it comes to choosing which cruise is right for my family, and as things stand now I suspect that only Australian or similar, domestic lines that are obligated to pay a living wage will be the ones to get my tourism dollars in future. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether I should tip or not and everything to do with whether to allow my dollars to be used in corporate slavery rackets or not.

To those that have been respectful, understanding and helpful I apologise for my rant. Many of you have showcased the exemplary behaviour that makes this forum a great place for newbies such as myself and the OP.

To those that allowed this thread to devolve into a nasty, needling exchange, I feel for you - it is obvious that some of you don't even realise it and that I find very sad.

good to know but has nothing to do with the person who I quoted

My apologies, upon a re-read I realised that the original comment about taxes was made by an American and not an Australian as originally thought - Your comment was the last in reference to that original post and for brevity I replied to it rather than quote all 3 tax related comments. I did however have the wrong end of the stick and therefore wasted quite a deal of time in explanation haha. There was no intention to single your comment out but I do realise that is the impression everyone would have been given. Again, I am sorry.

So my 3 US booked AU cruises would fall under the $12.00 tip and not the $12.95? Just curious.

Any cruise booked or taken after July 1 has the new 12.95 daily tip. Any cruise booked before then would have had to have the gratuities prepaid before July 1 at the old 12 rate to keep that rate.

Biker, who seems nothing different in this tipping thread that hasn't been said in previous ones.

Edited by Biker19

I have only been a member of CC for a week or two and have found most threads to be informative and helpful.

This thread is one that is the exception to the rule. So many people justify their snide comments as just their opinion, but seriously; the holier than thou attitudes and outright efforts to shame the original poster are quite distressing.

Saying to someone that if they cannot afford to tip they cannot afford to cruise is not just expressing an opinion, it is insulting. Have you considered that it is not about affording the tips but the concern as to why we are made to tip? The same for those who feel the need to justify the culture of tipping purely because the staff are underpaid - How about rallying against the culture of underpaying hard working employees instead of berating someone who has not once said they were NOT going to tip?

Using the - "but the line is based in another country where tipping is customary" twaddle is a composition/division logical fallacy. Just because the US tips has absolutely zip to do with whether or not a ship registered in the Bahamas and staffed internationally should expect citizens from around the world to automatically follow suit.

I did a few sums and even though the math is exceedingly rough I worked out that a ship like the ROS with a full complement of passengers expects around $30000.00 USD a day in gratuities. Rounding down the staff that receive tips to 800 means that each employee can hope for about $38.00 USD extra a day - even if we take it down to 700 staff sharing the gratuities they can still only expect $43.00 USD a day. Roughly $1200.00 USD extra a month. Admittedly a reasonable amount of money for someone who has no rent to pay, no food bills, no utilities and no entertainment bills to speak of for several months of the year. Still, not enough to make anyone rich I would have thought. So even if you adjust that to bring a daily rate up to $50.00 a day - No one is going to be buying any mansions on your dime.

Sure, if the cruise staff are paid more our cruise prices rise - but I would rather have an honest up front cost rather than 'hidden extras'. As it is my pre-paid gratuities added an extra $200.00 AUD to our 6 night cruise - not a bad chunk of change for the unsuspecting.

I have already booked and paid for this cruise but I know that in future I am going to be far more discerning when it comes to choosing which cruise is right for my family, and as things stand now I suspect that only Australian or similar, domestic lines that are obligated to pay a living wage will be the ones to get my tourism dollars in future. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether I should tip or not and everything to do with whether to allow my dollars to be used in corporate slavery rackets or not.

To those that have been respectful, understanding and helpful I apologise for my rant. Many of you have showcased the exemplary behaviour that makes this forum a great place for newbies such as myself and the OP.

To those that allowed this thread to devolve into a nasty, needling exchange, I feel for you - it is obvious that some of you don't even realise it and that I find very sad.

My apologies, upon a re-read I realised that the original comment about taxes was made by an American and not an Australian as originally thought - Your comment was the last in reference to that original post and for brevity I replied to it rather than quote all 3 tax related comments. I did however have the wrong end of the stick and therefore wasted quite a deal of time in explanation haha. There was no intention to single your comment out but I do realise that is the impression everyone would have been given. Again, I am sorry.

Welcome to CC.

Tipping threads always become so controversial especially if you are new to cruising. You will see the same arguments on all the lines. The majority of the main stream cruise lines handle tipping the same way. It is just the way the system works.

I think it's just easier to plan for when paying for a cruise - just as you pay extra for drinks, shore excursions, etc.

The crew works very hard for the guests and when people choose not to tip them, knowing that it's a big part of their weekly wage, it is very sad.

Incidentally, I think many Americans feel so strongly about this because they either currently work under this type of a system or have at some time in their career. Waiters/waitresses in the U.S. Are often paid around $4 an hour and the remainder of their wage is from tips.

Back to cruising ......just so much simpler to leave the automatic tips in place and forget about it. Until it changes across all lines I don't think stiffing the staff is the answer.

Again, welcome to CC. Hopefully you'll find less controversial topics that help with cruising.

So if you are on a cruise out of Australia (a non-tipping country) that travels to New Zealand (again not a big tipping country) and returns to Australia then its ok to not tip? :confused: Yes its an American company but it bases its ships in Australia for most of the year. When I go to other American companies that set up in Australia they change their practices to cater for their chosen market, for some reason Royal Caribbean choose not to do this.

I do think it's odd that RCCL keeps the customary US tipping guidelines in place for these closed-loop Australian cruises, but seeing as that is what is done, I'd "go with the flow".

My point is, when people from a country where tipping is not the custom visit a country (or ship) where it is, then they need to learn to do it. I'm not saying that anyone here on this thread is doing this, but omitting the gratuity simply because it's not a part of one's homeland customs is not right.

Originally Posted by rudeney

I think you meant to reply to travelplus, it was their feeling, I just directed it at the appropriate entity. I don't feel strongly about it at all, if the cabin attendants didn't show up all week I would be very happy with the service.

Gotcha - sorry about that "out of context" quote! :)

I understand what you are saying, but RCI is a US company that markets itself to US customers. Yes, they operate internationally and have many international passengers, but their primary market is the USA. Because of the confusion it seems to create, I don't necessarily agree with their implementation of tipping in closed-loop cruises from countries where it is not customary. It would make more sense to me that they simply factor the tips into the price and don't even mention the word "tip" or "gratuity", but they don't. Passengers who sail on these cruises need to simply understand the charges. Removing tips because, "I don't understand them," or because, "they sprung these hidden charge on me," or to protest that, "these people need to be paid a better wage by the cruise line" are all fallacies.

I am with you on that math and honestly, in US terms, $1200/month is a pittance. Not only will it not buy a mansion, it won't hardly get you a crappy apartment in a bad part of town with enough left over for food and transportation, much less entertainment. And while the crew members do get onboard food and housing, it is not anything wonderful. The quarters are cramped and very, very basic. On top of that, many of these crew have family in their home countries (often the Caribbean islands) that they work to support. So that $1200 is likely the support for an entire family, not just one crew member.

I do understand how you feel about this, but for people who have cruised over the years, the concept of tipping is normal. We expect it and would be surprised to find when it's not expected. In fact, those of us who travel regularly have come to expect all sorts of "extra" fees. When I see a rental car price quoted, I assume there will be an extra $15-$30/day in taxes and "airport recovery fees". Hotels tack on "resort fees". Even out utilities who provide telephone, Internet and television services always advertise one price, but charge more after the "taxes, fees and other charges". I know it might not be that way where you come from, but here in the USA, most of us have just come to expect that the actual price will be higher because of all these add-ons. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

And that is my recommendation! If you don't like the way a company operate, don't but from them! Personally, i don't see this arrangement with tipping as a racket, but I understand that you do and you have every right to feel that way. I am sorry that this is the case, and I do hope that you can put those feeling aside and enjoy your cruise.

I hope I fall into the "former" category. :)

I have had this explained to me by RCI senior staff. The majority of workers (all "hourly" and some officers/managers) are on contract with the company for a specified period eg., 6 months. The primary reason that the workers on board a vessel are contractors vs actual employees is because of the 60 plus countries from which these folks are citizens. If RCI (RCCL corporation) hired them as employees they would have to follow the tax laws of said countries as they applied to each employment. Thus the "hourly" workers as individual contractors get gratuities from the customer vs wages from the cruise line.

The payment method chosen by most major cruise lines through the years is primarily what RCCL has done. It is up to each individual contract person as to how they comply with their home country's tax laws. I have no knowledge of tax law but this big picture explanation made sense to me. I believe there are exceptions as in the UK based ships.

I know from a guest viewpoint it would be much simpler to have all on board expenses included in the price of the cruise; however, this would result in more back room expenses and those also would be included in the cruise fare.

I can deal with what we have to do now and never have felt bad that I was the one compensating the hourly folks that make cruising such a pleasure and still at a reasonable cost!

ps, I differentiate between tipping and gratuities relative to cruising. Gratuities from that perspective are not tips. Tips are what I give beyond the scope of gratuities. Not intended to cause anyone reading this grief just explaining my point if view! :)

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

I have had this explained to me by RCI senior staff. The majority of workers (all "hourly" and some officers/managers) are on contract with the company for a specified period eg., 6 months. The primary reason that the workers on board a vessel are contractors vs actual employees is because of the 60 plus countries from which these folks are citizens. If RCI (RCCL corporation) hired them as employees they would have to follow the tax laws of said countries as they applied to each employment. Thus the "hourly" workers as individual contractors get gratuities from the customer vs wages from the cruise line.

What does being a contractor gave to do with making tips? I work for a Fortune 500 company that has many contractors working in various positions from clerical to programming. None earn tips, all are paid, none are employees of the company.

I have cruised in both the USA and Australia. It has been my experience that as Aussies we pay a heck of a lot more for our cruises than our counterparts from the USA. We did Oasis of the Seas at a cost of around $3700 pp for a 7 night Caribbean cruise in a Park View cabin. Our fellow US cruisers on the exact same cruise in balcony cabins paid $750pp for balcony cabins. (2 years ago now) Our fare did not include airfares. I believe that RCL already charges Aussies for gratuities in their pricier fares. We were however still charged the extra gratuity per day charge. I don't know, I can see why Americans don't mind paying tips when their cruising is so much cheaper to start with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have cruised in both the USA and Australia. It has been my experience that as Aussies we pay a heck of a lot more for our cruises than our counterparts from the USA. We did Oasis of the Seas at a cost of around $3700 pp for a 7 night Caribbean cruise in a Park View cabin. Our fellow US cruisers on the exact same cruise in balcony cabins paid $750pp for balcony cabins. (2 years ago now) Our fare did not include airfares. I believe that RCL already charges Aussies for gratuities in their pricier fares. We were however still charged the extra gratuity per day charge. I don't know, I can see why Americans don't mind paying tips when their cruising is so much cheaper to start with.

You'll see huge differences even among Americans on the same ship, depending on when each one purchased their cruise. Prices are in a state of constant flux based on supply and demand. Someone who purchases when supply is high and demand is low is going to pay a lot less than someone who purchases when supply is low and demand is high.

Hi all,

i am organising a cruise for a group and there is no clear answer to gratuities, can anyone advise a yes or no answer?

Q: Is the gratuity required?

A: Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests who have elected to prepay gratuities will not see a daily charge during their cruise.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5539

thanks, serene

Did it go up? I just booked on the Anthem about a week ago and my confirmation, towards the bottom says:

"A $12.95 per person per day gratuity will be automatically added to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis to be shared by Dining & Culinary Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and Other Housekeeping Services Personnel as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience. Suite guests will see a $15.95 daily gratuity."

Harriet