St Thomas docks

Stall644

Noticed that Royal is docking in Crown Bay Dock in St. Thomas.....Anyone ever used that dock and how far is it from downtown.....Every time we have been on other ships always docked in West Indian Dock downtown.....Schedule in St Thomas isn't listing November yet

but I want to book a tour if a pain to get to town

Noticed that Royal is docking in Crown Bay Dock in St. Thomas.....Anyone ever used that dock and how far is it from downtown.....Every time we have been on other ships always docked in West Indian Dock downtown.....Schedule in St Thomas isn't listing November yet

but I want to book a tour if a pain to get to town

We always walk. Its about 25 minutes. Princess has a contract for Crown Bay.

Sometimes Princess will dock at Havensight but not very often.

Lots of these available inside and outside the gates........

tortola-transportation.png

Sorry but I have to disagree. We've been there a few times and walking to town is not easy. Sidewalks are narrow and poorly maintained in many places and the walk is not scenic in any way, shape or form. There is a lot of traffic on the road so may not be safe for strollers or young children. It also adds more like 20-30 minutes [vice 10] to any trip to Redhook, Coki or the ferry to St John.

Agree! No way we would walk into town from Crown Bay.

We also take a taxi or shuttle from Havensight into town if that's what we want to do.

From either Crown Bay or Havensight you can take a taxi to where you want to go. No need to go into town first. :)

LuLu

Agree! No way we would walk into town from Crown Bay.

We also take a taxi or shuttle from Havensight into town if that's what we want to do.

From either Crown Bay or Havensight you can take a taxi to where you want to go. No need to go into town first. :)

LuLu

Except that depending on where you are going, heading through at least part of downtown area is just part of the route.

Sorry but I have to disagree. We've been there a few times and walking to town is not easy. Sidewalks are narrow and poorly maintained in many places and the walk is not scenic in any way, shape or form. There is a lot of traffic on the road so may not be safe for strollers or young children. It also adds more like 20-30 minutes [vice 10] to any trip to Redhook, Coki or the ferry to St John.

True - in a few places. We would generally hop a taxi from town, but we have walked it when it was a pleasant day and not too hot. We are very familiar with St Thomas and so it's more of a choice thing.

Last February, we stayed on-island for a week and one day we walked one-way between town and the new shopping mall just before you reach the West Indian Dock area. It's not that far and quite safe in our opinion.

Probably best if you KNOW the place before venturing out on foot.

The several times we have been to St Thomas we docked at the WICO dock. We have never been to the Crown Bay dock but next time, who knows. St Thomas like many places in the USA are not exactly pedestrian friendly.

Hmm. that's surprising if any of your Princess Grand Class trips included STT because they regularly use Crown Bay and contrary to you folks, we have not been at WICO for several years (not sailing other lines). And I have looked at a lot of webcams in STT harbor as well.

I have noticed the big girls at WICO and a Grand Class at Crown. But you never know.

I now prefer Crown - or at least I would say I like the fact that we've been the only ship there while there can be thousands of cruisers at WI Dock from 4 large ships.

Edited by steelers36

The larger ships such as Allure and Oasis seem to use Crown Bay. They usually only dock two ships there and 3 at West Indies. For our February 2016 cruise 5 ships will be in port that day, two of them are princess ships(Emerald and Regal). Trying to guess where each will dock. Allure will be one of the ships so I assume it'll be at Crown Bay. I'm hoping Emerald goes to Crown Bay and Regal docks at West Indies which I prefer but who knows. Only guesses.

This past January (2015) on Ruby Princess we TENDERED!

We had not tendered there in decades. All of the port sites has us listed as docking at Havensight ... but we tendered.

The tender dock was right in the middle of Charlotte Amalie and was very

convenient for those wanting to go into town. Not so convenient for those in wheelchairs.

LuLu

I saw tendering at STT last March also. It had been a few years since I'd seen that. The general rule is that Princess (and HAL) dock at Crown Bay unless one of the RCL monsters is in port or multiple ships from lines that usually use Crown Bay. In that case ships that call less frequently than weekly (10 day itineraries for example) dock at Havensight.

May be of interest to know that St Thomas has approved building a third cruise pier to accommodate post-Panamax cruise ship. It will be at the foot of the fort on the Havensight side of downtown Charlotte Amalie.

May be of interest to know that St Thomas has approved building a third cruise pier to accommodate post-Panamax cruise ship. It will be at the foot of the fort on the Havensight side of downtown Charlotte Amalie.

That would be super convenient to downtown.

This virtually guarantees that Carnival Corp will enter into some

reduced port charges deal to continue using Crown Bay -- just when

the first 10-year deal is just about up.

Reduced port charges, and inconveniencing customers -- unfortunately

to Carnival, this is a win-win.

I agree I walked it twice and it's not a good or safe walk!!

Tony

This past January (2015) on Ruby Princess we TENDERED!

We tendered in March off the Caribbean Princess. There were six ships in port that day, and Caribbean was on an alternate Eastern/Western itinerary, so were only there every other week. Very convenient to down town. Hadn't tendered there since 1996, off the Norway.

We tendered in March off the Caribbean Princess. There were six ships in port that day, and Caribbean was on an alternate Eastern/Western itinerary, so were only there every other week. Very convenient to down town. Hadn't tendered there since 1996, off the Norway.

Like you .... Until this one on Ruby Princess (1/2015), our last tender in St. Thomas was on NCL SS Norway!

LuLu

Hi, we're on the Regal in Oct...how close is the shopping from Crown Bay? Walkable? Do we need a taxi or free shuttle to the stores there. We've Been to Havensight numerous times and interested in seeing what Crown offers by way of stores, shops,etc. Always docked by Havensight, so "been there, done that"...

If I've already asked this, I apologize for asking again. I just don't remember...(age can be cruel LOL).

Thanks in advance.

Hi, we're on the Regal in Oct...how close is the shopping from Crown Bay? Walkable? Do we need a taxi or free shuttle to the stores there. We've Been to Havensight numerous times and interested in seeing what Crown offers by way of stores, shops,etc. Always docked by Havensight, so "been there, done that"...

If I've already asked this, I apologize for asking again. I just don't remember...(age can be cruel LOL).

Thanks in advance.

(Crown Bay)The shopping is just off the ship It's OK. It's not as good as downtown st.Thomas

Tony