Is Global Entry (trusted traveler status) available for use at any U.S. Cruise termi

bellasorella

yu should be able to utilize & if you are going into Australia/NZ Australia recognizes the entry but as of last week, NZ has not but it doesn't hurt to present & see...
Australia:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/international-arrangements/smartgate

New Zealand:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/international-arrangements/new-zealand

DH and I (US Side) have a Nexus card which include Global Entry. So US NEXUS cards work both in US and Canada. I am duel and my DH is US only...same benefits.

I have been told the Global Entry will be coming to ports soon. Was chatting with DHS at Vancouver pier...no I do not have the agent's name or any other facts.

Cost for Nexus plus GE was $50 for five years...worth it to avoid lines at the border and to not have to unload laptop at airports. I have also never had a long wait at immigration coming back into the country and never at customs as we are too cheap and never buy anything..lol

Amazing we are all so anxious to get on the ship early, then race to get off first :D

DH and I (US Side) have a Nexus card which include Global Entry. So US NEXUS cards work both in US and Canada. I am duel and my DH is US only...same benefits.

I have been told the Global Entry will be coming to ports soon. Was chatting with DHS at Vancouver pier...no I do not have the agent's name or any other facts.

Cost for Nexus plus GE was $50 for five years...worth it to avoid lines at the border and to not have to unload laptop at airports. I have also never had a long wait at immigration coming back into the country and never at customs as we are too cheap and never buy anything..lol

Amazing we are all so anxious to get on the ship early, then race to get off first :D

We had a weekend home out on Lummi Is. for some 22 years so we had PACE until it was brought to an abrupt end after 9/11. We were some of the early enrolees in NEXUS and are on in the last year of our 2nd renewal of it. Even though we don't cross the border nearly as often as we used to we find the $50 in the pass an excellent investment and now with the Global Entry and Most Trusted Traveller it is even better. As cruise terminals come online it's even going to be be an even better investment.

To the ones who had the GE experience at ports: were all of these TAs? Just curious; perhaps they brought in some GE machines to test on cruises which were coming from Europe or repos from Canada/South America/Panama Canal transit and everyone would have to do the full passport control/customs experience. If people on closed-loop Caribbean cruises do not have passports, they can't get the GE approval, so GE kiosks would not get the level of usage to make them worth their while to have at ports full-time.

Edited by slidergirl

To the ones who had the GE experience at ports: were all of these TAs? Just curious; perhaps they brought in some GE machines to test on cruises which were coming from Europe or repos from Canada/South America/Panama Canal transit and everyone would have to do the full passport control/customs experience. If people on closed-loop Caribbean cruises do not have passports, they can't get the GE approval, so GE kiosks would not get the level of usage to make them worth their while to have at ports full-time.

Good question and I don't have an answer. However, there was a post last year that there was a GE or NEXUS sign up to the left of the CBP stations at pier 2 in Port Everglades but it was certainly not there when I got off the ship 3 times this January. That said lets hope that it is not temporary this season.

Nope, but if you have the CPB sticker they waive you right through

Usually they wave 99.5% of all people right through. Returning from a cruise is not like entering by plane. It is much easier and much quicker.

I wish this were true for me. The last time we arrived in Fort Lauderdale, there was one (1) immigration officer for the entire ship. The cruise director asked passengers to wait on the ship. He would tell us later when to disembark.

Were we on the same cruise or does Fort Lauderdale cruise terminal just stink:p

Our cruise director didn't even bother to tell anyone to wait on the ship. Instead we all got to stand in line for 2 hours

We just disembarked Royal Princess (terminal 2) in Fort Lauderdale this morning on a B2B Caribbean cruise. Global Entry (a dedicated lane with a Customs and Immigration official; not a kiosk) was up and running. Seemed a steady flow of passengers but absolutely no waiting.

Edited by capriccio

• 2 weeks later...

I found this post in the Princess forum:

Okay..... Here's the answer from CBP Port Everglades

Global Entry is here to stay at Port Everglades. The program was expanded this season to include ALL CRUISE TERMINALS at PE. It is not temporary nor experimental.

However, kiosks are not, and will not be installed.

Entry varies from normal GE procedure in that pax MUST fill out the paper declaration form that is included in your on board debarkation packet. On debarkation, GE holders show their GE Card to cruise line personnel ashore in the arrival hall, who in turn will direct pax to the GE line. Was told that you MUST show your GE/Nexus card, but I would think if you insisted you were a participant but did not have the card with you, you would be permitted to proceed. CBP at GE will collect your paper declaration and scan your passport. Away you go!

I asked the question about line jumping. Was assured that if they scanned your passport and you did not have GE/Nexus you would be sent to the back of the long line.

Was also told that this is for Port Everglades only. As far as they knew it was not available at Port of Miami at this time.

So, we got off the Regal Princess at Port Everglades this past Tuesday (11/3). After we grabbed our luggage we noticed a small sign pointing towards a Global Entry Line and we headed that direction. A port staffer asked if we were both GE and we responded, Yes. At that point they allowed us into a very short queue (about 4 people) which brought us to a CBP agent (just like the long lines) who took our Passports and gave them a quick glance. He never asked about GE, and he also did not bother to scan our Passports (he had a scanner). He simply asked if we had anything to Declare and then waved us through. We did ask a Port employee if they were going to install a GE Kiosk (like at major airports) and she said it was in the near future.

As a point of speculation, CBP is provided with the entire ship's passenger manifest in advance. When they do their routine check of that manifest they would be aware of how many on the ship have GE and their names. There are still relatively few couples that have GE...as it is more common that one person in a marriage does a lot of business travel (and has GE) while their spouse does not! In fact, the person that allowed us into the GE line made a point of asking DW if she also had GE (DW thought that was somewhat sexist). Since there are still only a limited number of couples who both have GE it does mean there are currently very short GE lines where they are doing this at a port. One suspects that if it becomes a common thing at ports, there will be many more frequent cruisers who obtain GE (which currently costs $100 per person).

For those who wonder about GE, you can Google the info..but it is somewhat of a pain. You apply online and pay your $100 with no guarantee of being approved (if you are denied you do not get your money refunded). If you clear the initial approval you must then schedule a face to face interview (at a limited number of places around the USA) with CBP. If you clear the interview then you usually get official approval within a few hours.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Both my husband and I have Nexus and hence Global entry- I hope it is up in January at Port Everglades when we come back.

See the quote in post 37 - Customs and Border Patrol says that it is permanent and available in each terminal.

Not sure if this is appropriate for the RCCL forum as it is by no means limited to RCCL. However, on just returning from my cruise on Indy to Port Everglades I noticed the "Global Entry" signs at immigration. Since I am a member of Global Entry I asked if they have it now. They said they do. They don't yet have the machines but if you bring your card, you go to the head of the line.

I am excited they are starting to add this option at cruise ports as well as airports. I wanted to pass along the good news to others that may be members of Global Entry. Just remember to bring your card!

Not sure if this is appropriate for the RCCL forum as it is by no means limited to RCCL. However, on just returning from my cruise on Indy to Port Everglades I noticed the "Global Entry" signs at immigration. Since I am a member of Global Entry I asked if they have it now. They said they do. They don't yet have the machines but if you bring your card, you go to the head of the line.

I am excited they are starting to add this option at cruise ports as well as airports. I wanted to pass along the good news to others that may be members of Global Entry. Just remember to bring your card!

When you were in Indy did it dock at terminal 18 or another one? I have read that RC has this at Terminal 18 at FLL. I am just trying to figure out if RC has another terminal that you can use it at. I also read that they watch who enters that line very carefully.

I read on the Princess boards that one of their terminals (terminal 2?) at FLL has it now as well.

We have Nexus, which gives us access to Global Entry. I might add please remember to bring both your passport and not just your Global Entery card.

It is CBP port specific, not terminal. Port Everglades has had the line for global entry for almost a year. As the OP stated, you must have CARD in hand as there are NO global entry passport kiosks. Port Everglades also has a specific "suite" line for CBP. These are two different fast track lines.

I'm sailing the new NCL today, in/out of Miami port. I hope they have a global entry line as I will have my card.

Have you ever flown out of MIA in the morning. The TSA pre-check line is ridiculously longer than the regular line.

It is CBP port specific, not terminal. Port Everglades has had the line for global entry for almost a year. As the OP stated, you must have CARD in hand as there are NO global entry passport kiosks. Port Everglades also has a specific "suite" line for CBP. These are two different fast track lines.

I'm sailing the new NCL today, in/out of Miami port. I hope they have a global entry line as I will have my card.

Have you ever flown out of MIA in the morning. The TSA pre-check line is ridiculously longer than the regular line.

Thanks for the info. From what I learned from you is every terminal in FLL should have a Global Entry line as the port is CBP.

When we got off Indy a few weeks ago we used the suite exit line, and it was amazing. We have sailed in suites with RC since 2011 and this was the best departure experience yet. It took us 22 minutes from leaving the CL to sitting at our boarding gate at FLL.

I also can believe the length of the TSA precheck in MIA. There will be folks that have GE, and many seniors that get it automatically due to their age. In MIA I can only imagine how long that line could be.

One other advantage over TSA pre-check at the airport, if you booked it, is the line for business class. We usually have a few options at the airport. Like you said the expedited line isn't always the quickest. :)

Great news; thanks! We never travel internationally without our Global Entry cards, even when planning to return to the US by ship. We sure could have used a Global Entry line last Wed. when getting off the Anthem TA at Cape Liberty. What a CBP disaster that was.