Cruises to the South Pacific

grayjay

Can anybody give an educated guess whether the shorter cruises to the South Pacific will be available in the fall of 2017 or in 2018?

I would love to book the 33-35 day cruise on "Westerdam" from San Diego to Vancouver/Seattle which would have the perfect itinerary for us but unfortunately we can't manage that date.

So my question for those who have sailed on Holland America ships for more seasons and years than we have: Is that an itinerary that is repeated regularly? I know there is a similar one in April 2017 but it won't stop at Victoria and Vancouver and it is much more expensive because there are only Vista Suites, no balcony cabins.

I also know there are the longer Grand Voyages of 45, 50 and more days but I won't have a chance at convincing dear family to go on a cruise of that length - so it's one of the shorter cruises leaving from the West Coast or nothing ;).

Any ideas? Thank you for your answers.

Different size ships within HAL have different names for their balcony cabins, which can make things confusing if you are new to this and trying to compare trips on these two different basic categories of ships: smaller and larger.

The smaller ships (R and S class ships 1200 passengeror so) have two balcony categories: the former verandah cabins which are now called "Vista Suites" and their Neptune Suites.

(And they also have the very large Penthouse balcony cabins and some have "lanai" cabins which open to the walk-around promenade deck but are not private balconies. But let's not make this doubly confusing right now.)

The larger ships (2000 plus passenger ships) have three names for their balcony cabins - the regular verandah, the mid-size Signature Suite and the larger Neptune Suite.

When you said one ship only had "Vista Suites" and no verandahs. you might have been looking at one of the smaller ships? :confused:

Both smaller and larger ships have South Pacific routes so if you can give more details about what you are looking at right now, maybe we can help you sort out your choices.

Of course, all bets are off if you are looking at the much smaller HAL Prinsendam - 600 passgeners with all sorts of balconies and suites names too. :cool:

Edited by OlsSalt

One option for the South Pacific is to do a repositioning cruise between the US and Australia (or NZ). While not short they might meet the OP's definition of shorter :). Last year we went from Seattle to Sydney in a "short" 28 days.

Hank

For our 10th Anniversary, we would love to go on a longer cruise that visits French Polynesia, especially Bora Bora...unfortunately, in Winter/Spring 2017, the only ship visiting these islanda will be Maasdam, which doesn't have many balcony cabins and might be too small for our taste...before, Westerdam and Noordam were Polynesia visitors, not in 2017 though :(

Thank you for your answers! To clarify some things you commented upon:

I simply "need" my balcony to enjoy the sound of the waves and for some quiet time, so a regular verandah cabin ( for example Eurodam, Westerdam ) are my cabins of choice as the bigger suites are out of my price range - we prefer to cruise more often one the same budget which is our way of donating ;) money to the cruise lines. We've been in a Vista Suite on Zaandam, again the smallest category with a balcony and liked that very much.

The cruise I would love to book is the one in April 2016 on Westerdam because it leaves from San Diego and finishes in Seattle after a day each in Vancouver and Victoria, rounding off a cruise with "only" 35 days ( when compared to 50 of the "Tales of the South Pacific" ) of South Pacific islands. Unfortunately we have already booked another cruise for April 2016 and living in Europe we don't have that flexibility of being able to re-book or cancel but have to pay a hefty penalty for cancelling. Our insurance would only cover health reasons.

The one 30-day cruise offered for the spring of 2017 is on "Maasdam" ( the ship with the Vista suites as the smalles category with a balcony) , but doesn't cover that many ports and is about a third more expensive.

Doing an Asia-Pacific cruise or a repo cruise wouldn't be an alternative, either, because I'd be willing to fly to San Diego or Seattle or Vancouver but shy away from the long flight to Sydney, for example. We'd also prefer to stay for more days in Tonga, the Cook Islands or Tahiti instead of the Fijis as some cruises offer.

Those are the reasons I'm hoping for a cruise in 2017/18 with an itinerary that is similar to the one one mentioned for April 2016. We are planning our cruises for 2017 now and it would have been great to know more about the cruise schedule for the season "late 2017/ 2018" ). We'd also like to book early to get the cabin we want on that cruise of a lifetime.

Can anybody give an educated guess whether the shorter cruises to the South Pacific will be available in the fall of 2017 or in 2018?

I would love to book the 33-35 day cruise on "Westerdam" from San Diego to Vancouver/Seattle which would have the perfect itinerary for us but unfortunately we can't manage that date.

So my question for those who have sailed on Holland America ships for more seasons and years than we have: Is that an itinerary that is repeated regularly? I know there is a similar one in April 2017 but it won't stop at Victoria and Vancouver and it is much more expensive because there are only Vista Suites, no balcony cabins.

I also know there are the longer Grand Voyages of 45, 50 and more days but I won't have a chance at convincing dear family to go on a cruise of that length - so it's one of the shorter cruises leaving from the West Coast or nothing ;).

Any ideas? Thank you for your answers.

Just sayin'; You should check out the Paul Gauguin. They offer shorter "South Pacific itineraries" year around. Fantastic ship and fantastic cruises.

Just sayin'; You should check out the Paul Gauguin. They offer shorter "South Pacific itineraries" year around. Fantastic ship and fantastic cruises.

Indeed, but you can not compare prices... 14 days on Paul Gauguin in a Balcony Cabins around 18.000US$ for two persons:eek: Suites are of course considerably more expensive.

That is a year's salary for a lot of people...

Oceania on the other hand consistantly has good fares and promotions with excellent food/service and a premium feel.

Gotcha, grayjay. West Coast departure, 30 day or so South Pacific cruise and a balcony for 2017. That pretty much makes it Princess, Disney or HAL for Westcoast departures. What islands or ports are must see for you and what time of the year do you want to go?

A few years ago HAL did a more extensive South Pacific WWII battle sites cruise and these years are now offering the longer Tales of the South Pacific cruise. So it appears from time to time they do put a more in depth South Pac package together.

But I also think they consistently send at least one ship out for a standard 30 day or so traditional route - Hawaii - French Polynesia and back with a few other minor stops thrown in. So I bet it will be likely there will always be that alternative in 2017. But it may be a bit longer for one of their more custom South Pacific theme cruises.

Don't know if this current one on the Amsterdam is fully booked at this time, so we shall soon see how successful this more unique and longer option is compared to their more standard SP offering on one of their larger Vista ships.

Edited by OlsSalt

just wanted to mention---we did 56 days total on the Statendam in January 2013... Ft Laud thru the Canal to SD (14 days).. SD--Hawaii-- Polynesia back to SD (28days).. SD thru the Canal back to Ft Laud.. for me it was the best of the best.. it was only the 2nd time that HAL did a roundtrip from Ft Laud in recent years on that itinerary..they haven't done it since.. still looking to do it again but HAL just won't cooperate and make it roundtrip again.. :(

Noted the Neptune and Vista suites are sold out on this upcoming 2015 Tales of the South Pacific cruise-- and that it starts in four places: Seattle, SF, SD and Hawaii for varying lengths. I did not know it also "started" in Hawaii, which reduces the cost somewhat and avoids the long sea day stretch in the very beginning.

Anyway, this is the info that came from one of those "whose in port" website. Also calculated our medallion status and we finally reach 300 day silver at the last days of this cruise. Yippee. Thank you HAL cruises for making our cruises so easy, so interesting, so pleasant and having us always looking around the corner for more. There are already two more we want to sign up while onboard for this one.

Thank you again for your answers and suggestions. So I'll have to wait till the schedules for 2017/18 come out - a 33-days Fall cruise Vancouver and/or San Diego - Hawaii - Polynesian islands would be perfect for us and the longest we will have ever taken . Up to now my DH has balked at anything over 16 days - no way he'll consider a 50-day cruise. And I'd prefer a shorter 30-day cruise to having to change husbands...:eek::D

I also looked up Princess and Celebrity - itineraries can't compare to HAL's. And for such a longish cruise I'd prefer to use a cruise line I've come to like very much.

And the money sock isn't long enough for "Paul Gauguin" cruises, I'm afraid, besides having to fly 30 or 36 hours to Tahiti to start the cruise.

Indeed, but you can not compare prices... 14 days on Paul Gauguin in a Balcony Cabins around 18.000US$ for two persons:eek: Suites are of course considerably more expensive.

That is a year's salary for a lot of people...

Oceania on the other hand consistantly has good fares and promotions with excellent food/service and a premium feel.

It is a smaller ship, i.e. 332 passengers, you would expect to pay a little more. However, keep in mind Paul Gauguin's prices are "all inclusive", the price includes port charges, most bar drinks, all gratuities, mini bar, and speciality restaurants, etc. They have specials too that sometimes include air fare.

Do any of these go to Easter Island? That'one place, one of many, I'd love to see.

Would also love to get to that island, but the World Cruises happen during a time of year when we have other obligations (living in our beloved Puerto Vallarta). The problem with Easter Island is that it is just out of the way for nearly all itineraries....and it makes absolutely no sense on the repo cruises between Australia/NZ and US. In an era when the itinerary planners have fuel usage at the top of their agenda, we do not expect to see Easter Island on many future cruises.

Hank

Be aware that there is a serious mosquito problem in Tahiti ,Western Samoa ,Marshall islands,at present . It is the same tiger type mosquito with now over one million infected cases reported in the Caribbean ,South America & even the SE USA .(just google mosquito problem in the Caribbean for additional information) .We also found the spread of this mosquito in the South Pacific:eek:

It is far more serious for those over 65 & or have heart problems ,are diabetic or have high blood pressure .:eek:

There is no cure & if under 65 & bitten severe joint pain ensues for months or years .

We are doing the Noordam Oct 3 ,2015 ,21 night San Diego to Sydney cruise .We do stop in Apia Western Samoa .The mosquito is there .Thus ,according to the CDC of America put on your suncreen one hour prior to & then put on mosquito repellents . We do know that if you stay in sea breezes ,all mosquito's can not penetrate sea breezes .However ,if you go into the water for a swim & then into shade the mosquito will be attracted to your warm body .

Please be very cautious in these areas while cruising;)

I have don a little home work on this' date=' We want to do the the 53 day trip in 2017 I can tell you that the Maasdam will be doing it in Sept.[/quote']

Are you talking about Easter Island here? I can't find any reference to Easter Island on HAL's website, but I have a very hard time negotiating their website...

Is the Maasdam going there in Sept 2017? Count me in if it is!

Did anyone mention how this year's Tales of South Pacific has an option to get on in Hono and get off in Tahiti? Cuts out like a bunch of sea days (and a few ports).

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=H&voyageCode=A552C

Is something that I hope is offered in the future. We did the Westy's fall '12 30 day cruise to the general area so we don't need all of HI and some of the SP islands and the cruise time back.

Honestly, if I knew that this was avail for this year our plans you see for next year and what we did this year would've been changed!

Did anyone mention how this year's Tales of South Pacific has an option to get on in Hono and get off in Tahiti? Cuts out like a bunch of sea days (and a few ports).

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=H&voyageCode=A552C

Is something that I hope is offered in the future. We did the Westy's fall '12 30 day cruise to the general area so we don't need all of HI and some of the SP islands and the cruise time back.

Honestly, if I knew that this was avail for this year our plans you see for next year and what we did this year would've been changed!

Was that added later, once they gaged how many were booking the full cruise I wonder or offered at the beginning?