5 months pregnant

Landlubber33

Looking for advice. I booked our first cruise for my wife and two kids (10 and 7) for January 11th to the 15th out of Port Canaveral (enchantment of the seas).

We are At WDW for a week prior. I just got news that we are expecting our 3rd (and last!!) and am concerned about my wife cruising when 5 months pregnant.

I have made full payment, however I can receive a full refund.

I am thinking it might make more sense to stay on the ground and possibly do Universal Orlando instead, however, I can't make up my mind, as it would also be nice for my wife to put her swollen feet up from waking WDW for a week and not worry about walking again at Universal, yet she could get very seasick etc.

Any advice is good advice...

Thanks

Edited by Landlubber33

Looking for advice. I booked our first cruise for my wife and two kids (10 and 7) for January 11th to the 15th out of Port Canaveral (enchantment of the seas).

We are At WDW for a week prior. I just got news that we are expecting our 3rd (and last!!) and am concerned about my wife cruising when 5 months pregnant.

I have made full payment, however I can receive a full refund.

I am thinking it might make more sense to stay on the ground and possibly do Universal Orlando instead, however, I can't make up my mind, as it would also be nice for my wife to put her swollen feet up from waking WDW for a week and not worry about walking again at Universal, yet she could get very seasick etc.

Any advice is good advice...

Thanks

Royal Caribbean requires that a person be less than 24 weeks pregnant (at any point in the cruise) to cruise.

Royal Caribbean requires that a person be less than 24 weeks pregnant (at any point in the cruise) to cruise.

Thanks for your response. She would be about 20 weeks at that point. Has anybody cruised while pregnant at 20 months? Is it too much of a gamble?

I'm sure she would get our money's worth in food consumption but I don't want her to be bedridden if seas are too choppy at this time of year.

Edited by Landlubber33

Congratulations!

The question is how have the other pregnancies been? If they've been fine and your wife has been healthy then go for it. If not then you might want to reconsider. Personally I would have found a crusie wonderful at that point prior to having another bundle of joy.

Thanks for your response. She would be about 20 weeks at that point. Has anybody cruised while pregnant at 20 months? Is it too much of a gamble?

I'm sure she would get our money's worth in food consumption but I don't want her to be bedridden if seas are too choppy at this time of year.

Sorry but I can't resist, I totally know it's a typo but the 20 months pregnant is just too horrible to consider. Speaking as a survivor of 4 pregnancies (and child births) I can tell you if women had to be pregnant that long the human race probably would have died out long ago.

Silliness aside, my DD was 20 weeks on our cruise last year and she had a wonderful time. Was extra careful out in the sun, but did everything everyone else did.

If she can relax, then go for it.

At this point in her pregnancy it will be up to her and her OBGYN. I would also have a note from her OB stating so and verifying the number of weeks she will be during that cruise...She may not need it and may never be asked but best to be prepared in the event she is.

Congratulations!

The question is how have the other pregnancies been? If they've been fine and your wife has been healthy then go for it. If not then you might want to reconsider. Personally I would have found a crusie wonderful at that point prior to having another bundle of joy.

Every pregnancy is different. This is really something for her Dr to discuss with her.

My very first cruise was at 22 weeks, on Enchantment. I was very nervous not knowing if I would suffer seasickness. We bought sea bands just in case, but I had no problems at all. That was 20 or so cruises ago. If your wife wants to go and her OB is agreeable, why not? Definitely buy insurance!

Edited by cyntil8ing

I was 18 weeks pregnant on our first cruise. I had no problems at all. If she had no problems on the Catamaran, a cruise ship would be a breeze. It is much more common to get sea sick on a Catamaran than on a cruise ship. Also, a cruise is MUCH more relaxing than the Disney/Universal craziness. :)

I agree with others... if she has a healthy pregnancy and the doctor agrees, go on the cruise.

Congratulations too!

I cruised at 22/23 weeks pregnant and had a great time. Also my third pregnancy, very run of the mill, no complications - went with my doctor's blessing.

I had the two other kids and we were traveling with family so it worked out well. When I got tired, I was able to go to bed on the earlier side (along with the kids) and my husband could spend time with the other adults traveling with us.

It was nice for me to be "off" for the week with no cooking, cleaning or other "life" responsibilities.

I cruised at 20 weeks pregnant (many years ago)...we were out of LA though, and seas were very rough. I got horribly sea sick as soon as we passed the port breaker walls. I did get approval to take Bonine from my dr beforehand, but didn't want to take it unless totally necessary. It was, and once I got it in my system I felt better and was fine for the rest of the week.

Number one I would say how does she feel about it.But her feelings may change at 20 weeks.

How was past hx with pregnancies?Even if previous were ok the 3rd can become different.

But above all even if all was fine in past I personally would not risk it.Very serious complications can become even more compounded with poor medical interventions.Chances are nothing is going to happen and you and family will have a terrific vacation.Question is do you want to roll the dice?I wouldnt do it.

Edited by rtazz17

I cruised when 23.5 weeks pregnant with my first. I would definitely do it again - more so with other kids to recover from Disney! (We vacation to Disney 1-2 times a year). Universal also does not have as much shade or calm rides/activities for a pregnant woman as Disney does...

I had 'all-day' sickness for almost all 40 weeks (thank heavens that's less than 20 months! Haha!) so I didn't expect my cruise to be perfect....I found that being on the ship didn't increase my sickness feeling - but tendering and catamaran and snorkeling was NOT a choice I would recommend if you could avoid it! Also - I am not usually sensitive to the sun - but when pregnant - no amount of high SPF/Zinc keeps me from burning. I like the previous posters suggestion to ask for Zofran, get water package, bring packages snacks so you always have something when you need to eat familiar foods, and maybe bring some UPF clothing and have a great time!!

Our son and his wife sailed with us this past December, she was 22 weeks. She thoroughly enjoyed herself. We were on Indy of the Seas. They also brought our 18 month old grandson. Make sure you have any meds she may need and bring documentation from your doctor, giving his ok for her to sail.. Good luck and have fun..

Thanks for the advice everyone! I apologize for the 20 months typo (I'm drinking for two now ;).

Ultimately of course it is up to my wife and her doc, I just wanted some input as we have never cruised before.

It looks as though those who have cruised pregnant have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks again

Thanks for the advice everyone! I apologize for the 20 months typo (I'm drinking for two now ;).

Ultimately of course it is up to my wife and her doc, I just wanted some input as we have never cruised before.

It looks as though those who have cruised pregnant have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks again

I am not a nervous or anxious person, but I would not go on a cruise in my third trimester. No vacation is worth the risk to me.

So there is your "contrarian opinion."

It's all well and good that some women have posted here that they had no problems; do you want to be THE ONE who does? Not me.

I am not a nervous or anxious person, but I would not go on a cruise in my third trimester. No vacation is worth the risk to me.

So there is your "contrarian opinion."

It's all well and good that some women have posted here that they had no problems; do you want to be THE ONE who does? Not me.

If I remember correctly, at 20 weeks she'll still be in her second trimester.

If I remember correctly, at 20 weeks she'll still be in her second trimester.

But how sure are you of the date of conception? And it's close to the 3rd, and may actually be in there.

Again, only you, your wife and her doctor can make the determination.

The experience of others does not dictate the experience that you will have.

Good luck. And, of course, congratulations.

:)