Deciding between the Oasis and Freedom

cntrydncr1

Although I'm not a big fan of the Oasis Class ships (sailed on Allure), I'm giving it another try on Harmony next year. My favorite class is the Freedom Class (sailed on Independence). Just the right size, with a lot of things to see and do. I don't see $200 being a deal breaker, and would probably choose Oasis if you've never sailed her. It all depends on what you're looking for in your cruise. I don't care for the small pools on the Oasis class ships, and your focus will be inward towards all the ship has to offer. Not necessarily a bad thing. I also didn't care for the smaller staterooms. Our ocean view balcony was noticeably smaller than Independence and with less storage. The Harmony is supposed to address that issue modeling their cabins after the Quantum Class. Either ship is a great choice, perhaps the itinerary can help you decide.

Tom

Oasis has amazing entertainment--we loved the aqua theater. But Freedom has a much better setup for the fitness center and free sauna/steam room in the locker rooms. On Oasis you have to pay to use the thermal suite (sauna/steam room). We found the service to be better on Freedom overall, as well (both Windjammer and main dining room).

If everything else is the same (length of cruise, stateroom etc) I would pick Oasis. She needs to be experienced at least once, and $200 isn't a bad difference if everything else is the same.

I agree that Oasis is a very "insular" ship though. I felt the same way on NCL Epic.

I would definitely say that Oasis is worth the $200 more. We have sailed Freedom twice, Indy once, and Oasis once. Our favorite of the three is Oasis, due to all the extras - Boardwalk, Central Park, Park Café, Free breakfast at Johnny Rockets, Wider and better designed Promenade, Great aft area with the adarondack chairs where you can relax and watch the wake of the ship....

However, Freedom is our second favorite ship, so either one would be great! Let us know what you decide :)

I'd keep the $200 and stay go with Freedom.

Agreed. After being on the Oasis class 4 times we prefer the freedom class. Not a huge fan of the floating mall. I would keep the cash. At least you still feel like you are on a ship on the freedom class.

Edited by CaribSailor

Agreed. After being on the Oasis class 4 times we prefer the freedom class. Not a huge fan of the floating mall. I would keep the cash. At least you still feel like you are on a ship on the freedom class.

Lets be honest here,you dont "feel" like youre on a ship on either one of these.

I would choose oasis hands down everytime.No comparison.our last three have been oasis class and will continue to be so.

I have never been in the freedom but I was in the independence and liberty in the past as well as theirs is class ship. To be honest, I rather save 200$ and go with the freedom. Oasis class charge you to use the steam/sauna and in the freedom class that is for free. The oasis class is beautiful but freedom is amazing. I believe oasis is a ship you have to do at least once so you can experience it but I'm more than willing to get in a different ship to save money

Edited by mcatmcat

I've been on both Freedom and Oasis and loved them both. Great entertainment on both. But Oasis gets my vote for a few reasons: if you've never experienced it, you should once; Park Cafe, Central Park, and the layout of the solarium; breakfast at Johnny Rockets; and the fact that it has a zip line (and Freedom doesn't). $200 more doesn't sound too bad.

Lets be honest here,you dont "feel" like youre on a ship on either one of these.

I would choose oasis hands down everytime.No comparison.our last three have been oasis class and will continue to be so.

Really? Name 5 places you can go on the oasis class and sit and have a view of the sea aside from the suite lounge/CK or walking all the way over to the edge of the ship. Oasis is a floating mall.

Edited by CaribSailor

Convince me I should spend about $200 more for almost the same cruise on the Oasis! What are the pros and cons of each ship!

If you look back at my post history to around May of this year, Allure vs Freedom was the theme of my last review on Freedom, having done Freedom and Allure both twice now. Boith ships have changed from my first visit to my 2nd.

I think my over simplified response is, you must do both at least once and make up your own mind. Having done both twice, I don't subscribe to the SHIP IS THE DESTINATION theory. If I was going the Western itinerary I would pick Freedom for the extra port. But for Freedom, her intineraries will be changing next year. I do love both ships.

Isn't Sabor on Freedom now. In place of Crypt. And it's really only 1 additional flowrider ;)

Sabor is indeed on Freedom of the Seas now, in place of the lower level of the Crypt. We had dinner there on Friday night. :)

This is a hard choice for me, as we've never sailed on an Oasis class ship, but we'll be on Harmony next year and looking forward to that. Freedom for us though is a special ship. It seems to be just about the right size, and the crew is outstanding.

Freedom was enjoyable for us last month. Sabor was fantastic, too. Worth the upcharge IMO.

This was my second cruise ever, the first being 11 years ago on another RCl ship (can't even remember the name), and the first for my wife. She is interested in checking out the Harmony, but was also very open to another cruise itinerary on Freedom. Admittedly, cruising is equally as much about the ports for us.

Freedom seems like the Goldilocks option for me - not to big, not too small. Just right.

Edited by phade

Really? Name 5 places you can go on the oasis class and sit and have a view of the sea aside from the suite lounge/CK or walking all the way over to the edge of the ship. Oasis is a floating mall.

Your malls have ocean view balconies? [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk