Reposition Cruise

Diggerdon

As the seasons change ships are moved around to that area of the worlds prime cruising ports.

You would go along for the ride when they are moving the ship. Same as any other cruise trip wise, except your would fly in to one port and fly back from a different one.

Last fall we did a 10 day repo on the Royal Princess at the end of Oct from NY to Florida. Three ports of call and many sea days. It was wonderful. The balconies were 849.pp.

This year at the end of October it is the Regal princess and in 2016 the Regal again.

We only needed the flight back from Florida. :)

Many repo cruises have an abundance of sea days (which is why we love em). For example, last year we took a HAL repo cruise on the Oosterdam that was moving from the US to Austalia/NZ. The first leg of the cruise was 28 days (Seattle to Sydney) and 12 of the first 14 days were at sea. Repo cruises between the US and Europe usually have at least 6 days at sea.

Hank

Or if you are lucky, you only fly one way. We love repos. We are doing one from New Jersey (Liberty port) to Galveston. We only fly one way, so we can stay on Board for a b2b since we are saving the air fare.

Margee

I thought that cruising from one US city to another was not allowed so I am presuming that you are stopping somewhere at a foreign port??

I thought that cruising from one US city to another was not allowed so I am presuming that you are stopping somewhere at a foreign port??

As long as your cruise stops at a distant foreign port (not just a foreign port but a distant one) than it is fine.

Keith

The best thing about these cruises is you often visit ports not on the usual itineries. We visited Bora Bora on one last year. Also it can enable you to attach two breaks at either end, for example, we have a cruise booked leaving Singapore and finishing in the Middle East.

Cruise lines who offer airfare in conjunction with your cruise can be a much better price on one way international tickets. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity use Choice Air. The difference in a one way fare from the east coast to Europe for a Transatlantic repositioning cruise can easily be $500 -$600 per person.

As long as your cruise stops at a distant foreign port (not just a foreign port but a distant one) than it is fine.

Keith

That is what I thought. So what distant foreign port does a ship stop at when going from New Jersey to Texas??

Wow, their definition of a "distant foreign port" isn't terribly distant.....I guess I knew that if I thought about including Canada and Mexico. I wonder what foreign ports don't qualify as distant?

What is the definition of distant foreign port?

Does it have to be so many miles from the USA to qualify??

Curacao seems distant enough :confused:

Full transit Panama canal cruises do not go that far maybe Columbia it is a distant foreign port I am guessing

Edited by LHT28

My off-the-top recollection is that anything outside of North and Central America (as defined) is considered "distant." Cartagena, Aruba and Curacao (as examples) are considered to be in South America and therefore qualify.

Curacao seems distant enough :confused:

Full transit Panama canal cruises do not go that far maybe Columbia it is a distant foreign port I am guessing

Funnily enough there isn't one, save that certain ports are listed as not qualifying (some in a very broad way ieCanada not ports in Canada) and everything else does qualify.

Hello,

Here are the definitions as specified in the CFR:

(2) Nearby foreign port means any foreign port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao). A port in the U.S. Virgin Islands shall be treated as a nearby foreign port.

(3) Distant foreign port means any foreign port that is not a nearby port.

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

Actually there's a very simple definition of a distant foreign port - cut & pasted direct from CBP regs:

Section 4.80a(a)(3) of the Customs Regulations (19 CFR 4.80a(a)(3)) provides that distant foreign port means any foreign port that is not a nearby port.

And since it's utterly meaningless without the corresponding 'what is a nearby foreign port' info:

Section 4.80a(a)(2) of the Customs Regulations (19 CFR 4.80a(a)(2)), provides that nearby foreign port means any foreign port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao).

Other parts of the spiel confirm that it is purely geography, not nationality or sovereignty that is used in the rules - NCL tried to wangle having St Pierre and Miquelon count as Distant Foreign back in 1997, using the justification that they are French and France = Europe. It didn't fly...

Actually there's a very simple definition of a distant foreign port - cut & pasted direct from CBP regs:

Section 4.80a(a)(3) of the Customs Regulations (19 CFR 4.80a(a)(3)) provides that distant foreign port means any foreign port that is not a nearby port.

Ah, the government! What would we do without them, LOL

And since it's utterly meaningless without the corresponding 'what is a nearby foreign port' info:

Section 4.80a(a)(2) of the Customs Regulations (19 CFR 4.80a(a)(2)), provides that nearby foreign port means any foreign port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao).

Other parts of the spiel confirm that it is purely geography, not nationality or sovereignty that is used in the rules - NCL tried to wangle having St Pierre and Miquelon count as Distant Foreign back in 1997, using the justification that they are French and France = Europe. It didn't fly...

Thanks for that.

Have done 2 repo cruises and loved them. First was from England, ending up in New York ( the day before 9/11!) the second one was from Itlay and came back to our home port of Baltimore, Maryland! The days home at sea they put the clocks forward one hour each night so we had time to slowly adjust back to U.S. Time!

We've done six transatlantics and the Panama Canal twice but haven't done any other repositioning cruises.

Now that I know that the New Jersey to Texas cruise visits the Caribbean I understand how it is okay to do that one.

Edited by NMLady